What game is currently occupying the slot in your DS?

#1 Edited by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Just keeping in touch with other about what we are playing at he moment.
I have gone into a bit of a game limbo for the DS.  I was playing Advance Wars Dark Conflict for a really long time and now I just can't get into one that occupies me endlessly.  Civilisation Revolution did it for a while, as did Dragon Quest IV, but currently I am trying Phoeonix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All.    I got it cheap and it is different.  I think I will enjoy this.

However, Lunar Genesis (Lunar Dragon Song) has suddenly leapt out at me and is tempting me to try it again after a couple of years of sitting on the book shelf.

So the question is, what is occupying the slot in your DS at the moment?

#2 Posted by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -

Nothing, but the last DS game I was playing was Professor Layton.
*pokes avatar, which I'm too lazy to change now*

#3 Posted by Wright (637 posts) -

just popped in advance wars:duel strike, hoping to finally beat it.

#4 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Chrono Trigger. Keeping it old school, son.

#5 Posted by Kr3lian (310 posts) -

I am playing me some GTA: Chinatown Wars.  The GF is playing Chrono Trigger (she knows NOTHING of the plot...oh to live vicariously).  I downloaded the Rhythm Heaven demo off of the Nintendo Channel.  Good lord I NEEEEEED that game.

#6 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Wright said:
"just popped in advance wars:duel strike, hoping to finally beat it."
I beat Duel Strike a while back and didn't realise that there was a HARD campaign.  They really mean HARD!  I think I got through about 18 chapters in hard and then gave up whilst my sanity was still intact.  Man, that was a killer.  I spent HUNDREDS of hours on this game - still one of my all time favourites.

systech said:
"Chrono Trigger. Keeping it old school, son."
No, I'm oldschool son :P
#7 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

CycloDS evolution

#8 Posted by Axersia (1613 posts) -
oldschool said:
However, Lunarr Genesis (Lunar Dragon Song) has suddenly leapt out at me and is tempting me to try it again after a couple of years of sitting on the book shelf.
Errr... dude, Lunar Dragon Song is by far the worst RPG ever created -- did you not realize that the first time you played it? Stay away man... Stay away... It's for your own good. Either let it sit there on your shelf for all eternity, or pawn it off to the next sucker. You don't need to play every RPG in existence -- it's OK to skip the bad ones.

Anyway, I recently beat Phoenix Wright 2 and I'm currently on the second case of Phoenix Wright 3. I actually bought the complete trilogy back in June of last year, but after beating the first game in almost a single sitting and starting the second game right after it (I think my goal was to beat 1 a day, which I later discovered to not be possible unless you don't sleep), I was completely burnt out on the formula by the time I got to the second case and had to take a break from it. I didn't pick up PW2 again until last week, so it definitely took a while for me to get back to the series. You just can't play to much of PW in a short period of time -- they're too similar.

As for my GBA slot... I have Harvest Moon: FoMT in there, but it's only there to keep the dust out since I play all my GBA games on my GameBoy Player.

#9 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

M3 DS Real

#10 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

Right now my DS is enjoying Pokemon Platinum in its hole...I put the Poke in the hole and it's like "Mon, I like this game...keep it in and don't pull it out!" ...good times, good times.

#11 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Axersia said:
"oldschool said:
However, Lunarr Genesis (Lunar Dragon Song) has suddenly leapt out at me and is tempting me to try it again after a couple of years of sitting on the book shelf.
Errr... dude, Lunar Dragon Song is by far the worst RPG ever created -- did you not realize that the first time you played it? Stay away man... Stay away... It's for your own good. Either let it sit there on your shelf for all eternity, or pawn it off to the next sucker. You don't need to play every RPG in existence -- it's OK to skip the bad ones.Anyway, I recently beat Phoenix Wright 2 and I'm currently on the second case of Phoenix Wright 3. I actually bought the complete trilogy back in June of last year, but after beating the first game in almost a single sitting and starting the second game right after it (I think my goal was to beat 1 a day, which I later discovered to not be possible unless you don't sleep), I was completely burnt out on the formula by the time I got to the second case and had to take a break from it. I didn't pick up PW2 again until last week, so it definitely took a while for me to get back to the series. You just can't play to much of PW in a short period of time -- they're too similar.As for my GBA slot... I have Harvest Moon: FoMT in there, but it's only there to keep the dust out since I play all my GBA games on my GameBoy Player."
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!! I want to know what you think when you beat the 3rd Phoenix Wright. I loved the ending. 

Ahem... I've got Chrono Trigger in my DS right now. I'm in the spot where i can go and do all the sidequests, and could go fight the final boss pretty much any time i want.
#12 Edited by Marzy (674 posts) -

My CycloDS Evolution, but I'm currently playing GTA: Chinatown Wars and I'm frequently going back to Rhythm Tengoku Gold, it's my favourite DS game.

#13 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

GTA: Chinatown Wars. It's been a while since I gave my DS any attention, but that's due to change very soon with what's coming out very soon, or if I import in some cases.

#14 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Right now I still have Professor Layton in my DS. I played it right through a long time ago and I played around with it again recently when I was on holiday. The Ninja Gaiden DS game is the only one that I have acquired recently and I need to get around to playing that sometime soon. But right now I am currently hoping to be able to play a new Professor Layton sometime in the near future.

#15 Posted by NikoBellic (41 posts) -

Professor Layton... Damn, I need to finish that game... I wanna play some Henry Hatsworth....

#16 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Axersia said:
"oldschool said:
Errr... dude, Lunar Dragon Song is by far the worst RPG ever created -- did you not realize that the first time you played it? Stay away man... Stay away... It's for your own good. Either let it sit there on your shelf for all eternity, or pawn it off to the next sucker. You don't need to play every RPG in existence -- it's OK to skip the bad ones.
But how will I know how good the good games are unless I play the bad ones as a reference point ................  backs away sheepishly ..........

It wasn't the worst game ever though.  It scored 59% on Metacritic.  I've enjoyed games with scores in the 50s.  Which reviewer should we believe?

Best review:
GameSpy
Aside from these minor quibbles and instances of tedium, the story progresses at a respectable clip, with plenty of twists and surprises to keep things interesting. 

Worst review:
NTSC-uk
Lunar: DS really is held back by its design. Parts that should be kept simple have been made frustratingly complicated, whilst others that could use a little elaboration have been left far too basic, all these decisions seemingly being made for the sake of producing a game that’s a little different.
#17 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

i forgot

#18 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
crunchUK said:
"i forgot"
You need to play Brain Training to help you remember :P
#19 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

My DS is currently getting serious with Dragon Quest V, and he's no player.

#20 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Chrono Trigger. I played it a lot when it first came out over here, but now i want to go and complete the last endgame quest i'm on so i can then go and finish the game, but i haven't been motivated to go back and do it.

#21 Posted by Axersia (1613 posts) -
oldschool said:
But how will I know how good the good games are unless I play the bad ones as a reference point ................  backs away sheepishly ..........

It wasn't the worst game ever though.  It scored 59% on Metacritic.  I've enjoyed games with scores in the 50s.  Which reviewer should we believe?

Best review:
GameSpy
Aside from these minor quibbles and instances of tedium, the story progresses at a respectable clip, with plenty of twists and surprises to keep things interesting. 

Worst review:
NTSC-uk
Lunar: DS really is held back by its design. Parts that should be kept simple have been made frustratingly complicated, whilst others that could use a little elaboration have been left far too basic, all these decisions seemingly being made for the sake of producing a game that’s a little different.
"
I agree with what the NTSC-uk review said, so let's go with that one.

Some of the design decisions in the game make absolutely no sense and really make you wonder what they were thinking.

Did no one on the development team ever go "Hmmm... maybe we shouldn't drain the party's health just by walking -- having to constantly open the menu to heal doesn't sound fun at all."

Or "Y'know what? Let's just let the player decide on which enemy to target instead of picking one at random."

Someone had to have thought that those were bad ideas, right?
#22 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Axersia said:
"oldschool said:

Best review:
GameSpy

Worst review:
NTSC-uk
"
I agree with what the NTSC-uk review said, so let's go with that one.

Some of the design decisions in the game make absolutely no sense and really make you wonder what they were thinking.

Did no one on the development team ever go "Hmmm... maybe we shouldn't drain the party's health just by walking -- having to constantly open the menu to heal doesn't sound fun at all."

Or "Y'know what? Let's just let the player decide on which enemy to target instead of picking one at random."

Someone had to have thought that those were bad ideas, right?"
We need to start a "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING" thread.  No console specific, because dickheads make games for all platforms.  Like Too Human and that stupid, boring and long regeneration when you die - What were they thinking?

Perhaps I would remember all those things about Lunar Genesis again, about 30 minutes into the game ;-)  I will have to play it.  How else will I learn :P
#23 Posted by Bigdonkey1 (42 posts) -

currently is FFIV before that was an action replay. before that mario kart. next up is megaman

#24 Posted by cspiffo (860 posts) -

Previously, Lock's Quest (excellent game.  Highly recommended), Currently Chrono Trigger (Classic), Next GTA: Chinatown Wars (Probably awsome but don't know yet.)

#25 Posted by Kr3lian (310 posts) -
cspiffo said:
"Previously, Lock's Quest (excellent game.  Highly recommended), Currently Chrono Trigger (Classic), Next GTA: Chinatown Wars (Probably awsome but don't know yet.)"

Oh, it's awesome.  Believe me, it's awesome.
#26 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
Kr3lian said:
"cspiffo said:
"Previously, Lock's Quest (excellent game.  Highly recommended), Currently Chrono Trigger (Classic), Next GTA: Chinatown Wars (Probably awsome but don't know yet.)"
Oh, it's awesome.  Believe me, it's awesome."
*nods*

Chrono Trigger and GTA: CW for me as well.

#27 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

GTA Chinatown wars, and it's the most fun DS game I've ever played!

#28 Posted by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -

The World Ends With You occupies the DS slot. I finished it, though, and I've really been trying to finish up getting all of the Road Rules, smashes, billboards, and Super Jumps in Burnout Paradise.

#29 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

Final Fantasy 4 DS is still in my DS. Haven't play with my DS much lately.

#30 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

Still playing Chinatown Wars. I'm going to have to finish Chrono Trigger soon, though.

#31 Edited by oldschool (7264 posts) -
suneku said:
"Final Fantasy 4 DS is still in my DS. Haven't play with my DS much lately."
I played all the way through FF III (a rarity for me) and enjoying it immensely, whilst FF IV is still sitting on the shelf staring at me.  If you played III, how does it compare against IV?
#32 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
oldschool said:
"suneku said:
"Final Fantasy 4 DS is still in my DS. Haven't play with my DS much lately."
I played all the way through FF III (a rarity for me) and enjoying it immensely, whilst FF IV is still sitting on the shelf staring at me.  If you played III, how does it compare against III?
"
Overall it is better, presentation has been polished up, the 3D looks quite a bit better in IV, story wise though it is really different from III.
#33 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

Chrono Trigger. Going through 12,000 B.C. for the first time.

#34 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

dragon quest monster joker.

#35 Posted by LordAndrew (14420 posts) -

New Zealand Story Revolution...

Fuck that shit. I really like New Zealand Story so I thought it would be a good idea to play New Zealand Story Revolution. Yeah, I know any time they put a Taito classic on the DS and tack on the word Revolution it's going to suck. I should have known better. I really should have...

#36 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

My DS had a late-night affair with Pokemon Diamond; he just wanted to check up on his children, but he's back together with Dragon Quest V.

#37 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

I'm currently in Chapter 6 and just need to beat the last 'boss' of DQ IV. I'm also playing Harvest Moon Island of Happiness (addictive!).

#38 Posted by JJOR64 (18894 posts) -

Pokemon Platinum for me right now.

#39 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, but I have actually been playing the game in the GBA slot (Final Fantasy V Advance) more recently. Both are excellent for long trips.
I really need to get some of the games listed here, but Square is a bunch of money grubbing bastards who charge $10 more than I am willing to pay  for what are basically  enhanced versions of SNES games.

#40 Posted by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

POKEMON PLATINUM WOOH

#41 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"CycloDS evolution"
The story in that game surpasses anything Final Fantasy! :P
#42 Posted by Roger_Klotz (764 posts) -

I haven't touched my DS in like 6 months. But I think the last game I had in there is zelda phantom hourglass.

#43 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

Picross DS.

#44 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
shadows_kill said:
"dragon quest monster joker. "
I played that one quite a lot when I got  it.  I reemember thinking that  it felt better, playing wise, than Pokemon - really enjoyed it.  I don't think I got to the end though.  
#45 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -
shadows_kill said:

#46 Posted by JJOR64 (18894 posts) -
iAmJohn said:
"shadows_kill said:

"
Lmfao.  I remember the commercial.
#47 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

42 All-Time Classics. I was playing some chess on that.

#48 Posted by PartTimeNinja (344 posts) -

My CycloDS is in my DS. With it, I am playing GTA: Chinatown Wars and Rhythm Heaven.

#49 Posted by Wolverine (4276 posts) -

New Super Mario Bros

#50 Posted by unclejohn0525 (335 posts) -

Metal Slug 7. But, where the hell is my MULTIPLAYER?! Whatever... At least the game came with a shiny slip-cover. That almost makes up for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.