Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

What Games Should I Get?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ShadowConqueror

So, I recently bought a DSi XL. It's used, but it's in good condition and came with a few games that seem all right. I have some games in mind that I'd like to get, but I'd like some suggestions as well. As of right now, I'd like to get 3 or 4 games now/soonish, depending on how much they cost.

Anyway, I'm a big RPG fan, so pretty much anything goes there. Really the only condition I have is that I like turn-based battle styles since they let me think tactically about what I want to do, but I'm willing to let that slide if the game is good enough. I like puzzle and strategy games a bit too, just not quite as much as RPGs.

Anyway, here are the games I have now:

• Donkey Kong Jungle Climber
    • Call of Duty: World at War
    • Toy Story 3
    • The Quest Trio (some kind of poker game or something)
    • Call of Duty: Black Ops
    • Bejeweled Twist
    • Brothers in Arms
    • Metal Slug

Here are the games I want to get, with underlined games being the ones I'm considering the most:

• Final Fantasy IV
    • Pokemon Black/White (Leaning towards Black, won't get both)
    • Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
    • Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
    • Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
    • Radiant Historia
    • Etrian Odyssey (all, probably starting with the first)
    • Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    • EDIT: Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (forgot to add this at first)
    • Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (again, just one)
    • Pokemon Platinum (is there any reason to get Diamond or Pearl over this?)
    • Pokemon Conquest
    • Professor Layton (all, probably starting with the first)

That's all I've found that look interesting so far. If there are any more that you think I'd like, or maybe some that I listed that I might not like, please let me know. Thanks, Duders.

p.s.: I should not that I've looked into The World Ends With You, but the battle system doesn't seem like something I would enjoy. I'm willing to be persuaded, though.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Phatmac

Elite Beat Agents & Phoenix Wright franchise.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Giantstalker

Infinite Space was hands-down my favorite DS role-playing game, followed closely by the strategy game Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (which, yes, I liked more than Dual Strike).

The various Castlevania titles on the platform are also quite good. I'd recommend those as well, they hold up pretty good.

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Meepasaurus

As an RPG fan, you really owe it to yourself to at least give The World Ends With You a chance. You honestly don't really need to pay much attention to the top screen during battles, and it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Don't forget Phantom Hourglass if you're going to play Spirit Tracks - they're both about equal to me, but some people debate that a bit.

I also second Elite Beat Agents and Phoenix Wright. I'd also recommend Ouendan 1 and 2, but DSi's are region locked I think...

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Aronleon

Contra 4, all 3 Castlevanias for the DS and Crono Triger for the DS.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@Meepasaurus said:

If you're a fan of RPGs (which it seems like you are), you really owe it to yourself to at least give The World Ends With You a chance. You honestly don't really need to pay much attention to the top screen during battles, and it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Don't forget Phantom Hourglass if you're going to play Spirit Tracks - they're both about equal to me, but some people debate that a bit.

I also second Elite Beat Agents and Phoenix Wright. I'd also recommend Ouendan 1 and 2, but DSi's are region locked I think...

Oh, Phantom Hourglass! I knew I forgot something. That should be on my list, too.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By B0nd07

Since you say you like puzzle games, I'd suggest adding Picross 3D to your list. If you're not sure, watch the Quick Look. They also covered it some more in one of the Game of the Year 2010 videos.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

Dragon Quest V Hand of the Heavenly Bride and/or Dragon Quest IX Sentinels of the Starry Sky are excellent as well. The game play and options in 9 are better, but I believe DQV had a better story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.