Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

What is the best way to get wi-fi to your DS?

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By takua108

Alright, so I have a DS lite and I want to get it online, mostly to trade WarioWare DIY games (and other stuff, later, of course). At my house, I have a wired router in my basement that connects to a wireless router in my room. The wireless router is an old piece of junk, and at some point I set it to a mode that basically makes it so that it acts as just a wi-fi hotspot, disabling most of it's routerly features. One of these features is the ability to "dial in" to the router via an IP address, and change its security settings. This is a problem, as I set the security to use WPA, which apparently DSes can't use. 

I wouldn't mind dropping a little bit of money on fixing this issue, so I head over to Amazon, and search for the official Nintendo DS wi-fi thingy, and HOLY SHIT, it's like $100 new. Is this... normal? I mean, it's 2010, surely getting WEP wi-fi through a USB port can't be that costly, right? 

A quick eBay search yields far better prices, albeit for used products.

So how do you guys do your wi-fi, if at all?

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By drowsap

im having the same problem nintendo needs to fix this problem with the 3DS
    i can buy game in the dsi shop but cant get on line withe pokemon sooo lame

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ProjektGill
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By takua108
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By rallier

I just turned mine to WEP.  I dont have any neighbours so there is no risk of people leeching my connection.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @takua108 said:
    "I wouldn't mind dropping a little bit of money on fixing this issue, so I head over to Amazon, and search for the official Nintendo DS wi-fi thingy, and HOLY SHIT, it's like $100 new. Is this... normal? I mean, it's 2010, surely getting WEP wi-fi through a USB port can't be that costly, right?  A quick eBay search yields far better prices, albeit for used products.  So how do you guys do your wi-fi, if at all? "
    $100?????  Where are you?  In Australia, one of the most expensive gaming locations on the globe, the official unit is $50. 

Routers are cheap.  Buy a new one and set it to WEP if you don't get the Wi-Fi connector.
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By takua108
    @oldschool said:
    " @takua108 said:
    "I wouldn't mind dropping a little bit of money on fixing this issue, so I head over to Amazon, and search for the official Nintendo DS wi-fi thingy, and HOLY SHIT, it's like $100 new. Is this... normal? I mean, it's 2010, surely getting WEP wi-fi through a USB port can't be that costly, right?  A quick eBay search yields far better prices, albeit for used products.  So how do you guys do your wi-fi, if at all? "
    $100?????  Where are you?  In Australia, one of the most expensive gaming locations on the globe, the official unit is $50.  Routers are cheap.  Buy a new one and set it to WEP if you don't get the Wi-Fi connector. "
    I live in the US... where are you seeing this price? :O 

And yeah, if it comes to it, I might just end up getting a new router... I need a new one anyways...
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By Willy105

Airports.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @takua108 said:

" @oldschool said:

" @takua108 said:

$100?????  Where are you?  In Australia, one of the most expensive gaming locations on the globe, the official unit is $50.  Routers are cheap.  Buy a new one and set it to WEP if you don't get the Wi-Fi connector. "
    I live in the US... where are you seeing this price? :O  And yeah, if it comes to it, I might just end up getting a new router... I need a new one anyways... "
    I am talking about one of these USB (official Nintendo product) things you connect to your computer (Windows only): 
    No Caption Provided
     I quickly found one of them, used at Gamestop for $15 USD: 
    Gamestop.com - Buy DS/Wii Wifi USB Adapter - Nintendo DS     

Plus there are 3rd party copies like this Mayflash USB one: 
    WiFi Link  
     This one is about $28 USD shipped. 

No Caption Provided
    The newer official version is more expensive, at about $90 USD shipped 
     Nintendo Wi-Fi Network Adapter 
    You don't absolutely need this one. 

I hope that clarifies what I am saying.  I don't use mine anymore, as like Rallier, I changed my security (turned off) as I live remote and have little risk of broadband theft.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Supermarius
    @takua108:  you can generally do a hardware factory reset of a router by holding down the reset button for a long time or putting a paperclip into a reset hole. I think pretty much every router has that feature. Once it is reset you should be able to get back into it with whatever is the default login.
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By takua108
    @Supermarius: Alright thanks, after some fiddling and holding down reset buttons, I eventually got it to work, and just went ahead and disabled security entirely. I live in an obscure part of town, and my town is in obscure part of the country anyways (South Dakota), so I think I'm fine for now :)
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Supermarius
    @takua108:  you should see if your router allows you to set up a wireless device mac address whitelist. Thats what i do on my router to connect my DS. I dont have any security set up, but only wireless devices with the mac adresses i specify can connect. Internet hacker kids can apparently falsify a mac adress pretty easily to get around this, but it does prevent your normal neighbors laptops and iphones from being able to automatically connect.

Glad i could help :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.