What to play on the way to and from Rally To Restore Sanity

#1 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Yeah, I'm going.      

I'm heading cross country to what may be the single most important event in our lifetimes.  
Okay, maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, but it's going to be awesome.  
However, the trip involves roughly 20 hours of... Not so fun. In fact, it's mostly sitting in a completely stationary position for a while.  
Luckily, I have a way-too-huge portable collection. So big I have no idea what to play through during my trip. 
So, here's my collection list, complete with a progress report on each. I'd prefer to start (and finish) something completely new over the weekend.  

Personal DS collection

All the games I own for my favorite console

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations

Finished.

2. The World Ends With You

Finished.

3. Jump Ultimate Stars

Finished.

4. Elite Beat Agents

Finished.

5. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Finished.

6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Finished.

7. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
8. Knights in the Nightmare
9. Exit DS
10. Custom Robo Arena
11. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
12. Luminous Arc 2
13. Suikoden Tierkreis

Finished

14. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Finished

15. Avalon Code
16. My Japanese Coach

Non-Game

17. Jam Sessions

Non-Game

18. WarioWare Touched!

Finished.

19. Tetris DS

Finished.

20. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
21. Sonic Rush

played.

22. Rondo of Swords
23. Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Finished.

24. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl

Finished.

25. Planet Puzzle League

Finished.

26. New Super Mario Bros.

Finished.

27. N+

played.

28. Metroid Prime: Hunters

Finished.

29. Mario Kart DS

Finished.

30. Lunar Knights
31. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Finished.

32. Kirby: Super Star Ultra
33. Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
34. Izuna 2: The Unemployed Ninja Returns
35. Final Fantasy III

Finished.

36. Final Fantasy IV
37. Disgaea DS

God damn this game.

38. Contra 4

played.

39. Chrono Trigger

Finished.

40. Arkanoid DS

Finished.

41. Animal Crossing: Wild World

Played.

42. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Finished.

43. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Finished.

44. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All

Finished.

45. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
46. Luminous Arc

Finished.

47. Lock's Quest
48. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

Finished.

49. Ninjatown
50. Fate/stay night

Finished.

51. Nostalgia
52. Sands of Destruction
54. Glory of Heracles
55. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

Finished.

56. Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
57. Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
58. Infinite Space
59. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Finished.

#2 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -
#3 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" Etrian Odyssey 3? I haven't played it yet, but the first two were good. You could also try the other two DS Castlevania games, Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow. "
A little late for me to buy anything new. I need something I've already got. Ruin and Sorrow are great though :P
#4 Posted by MeatXbeatsXman (238 posts) -

I've been using My Japanese Coach, and I've found it helpful. Some of the games used for retention are kind of lame, but it's effective enough. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth is really awesome, and would probably melt the 20 hours away; a very engaging game it is. Chinatown Wars and FFIV are also excellent choices. I guess engagement is the #1 thing here; something to hook you immediately, to make you forget that you're ass is numb.

#5 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@MeatXbeatsXman said:
" I've been using My Japanese Coach, and I've found it helpful. Some of the games used for retention are kind of lame, but it's effective enough. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth is really awesome, and would probably melt the 20 hours away; a very engaging game it is. Chinatown Wars and FFIV are also excellent choices. I guess engagement is the #1 thing here; something to hook you immediately, to make you forget that you're ass is numb. "
Chinatown Wars is certainly a possibility. 
#6 Posted by MsbS (12 posts) -

I would definitely recommend Chinatown Wars. The gameplay is probably around 15 hours, but there is a whole lot (and I mean a WHOLE LOT) of optional content - sidequests, races, drug dealing minigame, etc. This should keep you interested throughout the trip.
One of the things I loved about Chinatown Wars is how varied it is. In one mission you participate in illegal racing, another one is delivery, another time you need to blast some gangsters. There is a sniper mission, there are getaways, police pursuits, bombings. It's all in there.
Also the way GTA: CW uses the touchscreen is neat - basically all touchscreen minigames can be played with your finger only (no need to remove the stylus for a 5-second minigame). 

Now, about your other options:

- Infinite Space - this game takes well over 30 hours to beat. One of its biggest disadvantages though is that it has no mission log, so if you put it down for, say, a week, you will not know what to do next when you pick it up again.
- Devil Survivor - Really good, if you like tactical RPGs. The game is really good, nice storyline, slightly annoying but bearable emo dialogues, lots of depth. However, for me it got kinda repetitive after around 20 hours.

Oh, and BTW: how did you manage to finish Tetris???

#7 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@MsbS: I figured 200 lines was good enough to call it "finished". :P
I started out with Chinatown Wars, and to be honest, I didn't like it much at all. I was playing on an XL, and even then driving on the streets resulted in hitting a cop car pretty much every time. The worst part was the presentation; The character art w/text was below what I expect from DS games. 
I ended up playing Ninjatown, and it was a great choice. The game is a fun, simple tower defense. Still playing it now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.