Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The NES, also known as Famicom, launched in 1983 in Japan and 1985 in North America, where the video game industry was headed downhill due to a deluge of poor games and over-saturation. Nintendo's second home console became an enormous success, establishing consoles as a mainstream market in Japan and pulling the North American industry back to its feet.

Finally...A Mini Handheld NES That Plays Original Carts!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

Check this out...it's a mini NES with a 2.4" LCD screen that plays old school full-size NES cartridges. Thinkgeek just keeps the classic gaming hits coming, first by selling new Dreamcasts (thanks snide) and now with this clever little gadget.

It's $50 but doesn't come with any games, only the device itself.  Here is a list of features from the product's page on Thinkgeek:

• Handheld NES system plays original full-size NES cartridges
      No Caption Provided
    • 2.4" LCD TFT Screen
    • Built in Speakers
    • Headphone out jack
    • Includes composite (NTSC) video/audio out cables for playing on a TV
    • You need to supply your own NES cartridges
    • Requires 4 x AA batteries (not included)
    • Runs for over 8 hours on a single set of batteries
    • Dimensions: 15cm x 9cm x 4cm deep

I admit it does look ridiculous with the huge NES cartridge protruding out of the top, but it's still pretty sweet. Does anyone have one of these already or do you plan on buying one? I'm going to get one just for the novelty value alone. The only remaining question is...how am I going to play Hogan's Alley on this thing?
    Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Liber

Meh :|

i dont think I need another handheld console just to play old NES games , I can use my PSP to play NES games with an emulator AND play normal PSP games , which leaves this device kinda useless .. for me atleast.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't know whether that is awesome or ridiculous.

It must be ridiculously awesome. Or awesomely ridiculous.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us
    MattyFTM said:
    "I don't know whether that is awesome or ridiculous.It must be ridiculously awesome. Or awesomely ridiculous. "
    Sounds about right. Looks like one of things I would just love to have but then never use it once I got it.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

c1337us said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "I don't know whether that is awesome or ridiculous.It must be ridiculously awesome. Or awesomely ridiculous. "
    Sounds about right. Looks like one of things I would just love to have but then never use it once I got it. "
    Me too, I'd like to have it,  but I don't have my NES cartridges anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.