Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The NES, also known as Famicom, launched in 1983 in Japan and 1985 in North America, where the video game industry was headed downhill due to a deluge of poor games and over-saturation. Nintendo's second home console became an enormous success, establishing consoles as a mainstream market in Japan and pulling the North American industry back to its feet.

Nintendo Entertainment System or Famicon?

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I'm writing about the NES for university and I was wondering which title I should give it? 

Famicon came first, but as I am from Britain it was known as the Nintendo Entertainment System. 

Are there any hard and fast rules about this stuff?

KingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By KingGamer

Just call it the NES and that it was known as the Famicon in Japan.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By imhungry

Well first off I'm pretty sure it's the Famicom, spelt with an m! But I think either name should be fine. Use both if you want to be absolutely sure I guess? I'm curious though, what're you writing about exactly?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

Just call it the NES aka whatever, whatever.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Metzo_Paino
    @ImHungry said:
    " Well first off I'm pretty sure it's the Famicom, spelt with an m! But I think either name should be fine. Use both if you want to be absolutely sure I guess? I'm curious though, what're you writing about exactly? "
    The evolution of video game music, and you're right about the m.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Metzo_Paino said:

" @ImHungry said:

" Well first off I'm pretty sure it's the Famicom, spelt with an m! But I think either name should be fine. Use both if you want to be absolutely sure I guess? I'm curious though, what're you writing about exactly? "
    The evolution of video game music, and you're right about the m. "
    If you're writing about the chronological history of it, then you may want to first mention when the Famicom first came out in Japan, then say when it later came out as the NES, and do it pretty much the same sentence. Then you've got a pretty good base to go where you want from there - just a quick mini-history lesson about where they stand in the timeline in relation to each other. I think that's all you need.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan  Online
    @KingGamer said:

" Just call it the NES and that it was known as the Famicon in Japan. "

The two are actually quite different, at least in looks.  

Famicom:  

NES:  

See the difference? Also, the name change was because Nintendo of America didn't think that having the word "Family" related to the product would sell products, because it was the 80s.
    KingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By KingGamer
    @MooseyMcMan: LOLwut? I already know that. But there's no real difference if all it does is play the same games. The top loader looks different from both of them, and the game carts goes on the top, but it's still a NES.
    Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Metzo_Paino
    Thanks for the advice people. 

@buzz_clik
    said:
    " @Metzo_Paino said:

" @ImHungry said:

The evolution of video game music, and you're right about the m. "
    If you're writing about the chronological history of it, then you may want to first mention when the Famicom first came out in Japan, then say when it later came out as the NES, and do it pretty much the same sentence. Then you've got a pretty good base to go where you want from there - just a quick mini-history lesson about where they stand in the timeline in relation to each other. I think that's all you need. "
    This seems like the safest option and will also help bump up the dreaded word count.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.