Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The NES, also known as Famicom, launched in 1983 in Japan and 1985 in North America, where the video game industry was headed downhill due to a deluge of poor games and over-saturation. Nintendo's second home console became an enormous success, establishing consoles as a mainstream market in Japan and pulling the North American industry back to its feet.

Retro Duo or refurbished NES?

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I really want a NES. I never owned one back in the day, but I have been dying to get one now and I have some extra cash laying around. So my question should I go for a NES or a Retro Duo? I love the idea of a retro duo, but I think like the look of a NES more... Anyway does anyone know where I could buy a refurbished NES I don't really trust ebay, but I'm fine buying from any other website.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

What is a retro duo?   

I don't know if could be bothered with an NES as the graphics are crap compared to the SNES  ^-^  It's all about the graphics.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Coombs

The original NES is prone to fucking up and not connecting games properly,
    Which requires a lot of fiddling with the cartridge.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool

I really like this Retro Duo, I must have missed it.  I would go that and I would buy one if it was ever released in Australia. 

No Caption Provided
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#5  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

9 out of 10 doctors agree the Retro Duo should meet your needs quite nicely. 

Standard disclaimer - Sparky_Buzzsaw is not a doctor and did no actual research from live, breathing doctors.  He did, however, interview a hobo, two street performers, a random guy named Mel, and his trashcan.  All parties involved may (or may not) have been inebriated at the time of said interviews.  Sparky_Buzzsaw's recommendation of this product only comes from his own experience, which has been mostly positive.  Old cartridges will still occasionally require the ol' "blow out your lung" trick.  Thank you, and have a pleasant tomorrow!

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By buzz_clik
    @JeffGoldblum: They're pretty nifty lil machines. Great for saving space, you've got your NES and SNES in one, and it's got S-Video.

@oldschool: I got mine on ebay, from a fellow as the Aussie seller no less. They appear every now and then down here. Mine's the evil-lookin' version, black with red detail.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @buzz_clik said:
    " @oldschool: I got mine on ebay, from a fellow as the Aussie seller no less. They appear every now and then down here. Mine's the evil-lookin' version, black with red detail. "
    Are you using a step down converter (or whatever it is) to power it?  Plus, what did it set you back? 

Fortunately my SNES still works fine and I don't own any NES games, but I would pick some up if I could reliably play them.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By buzz_clik
    @oldschool said:
    " Are you using a step down converter (or whatever it is) to power it?  Plus, what did it set you back?  Fortunately my SNES still works fine and I don't own any NES games, but I would pick some up if I could reliably play them. "
    I can't remember how much it cost me. All I remember at the time was I heard about them and thought it'd be a handy solution to space problems in my games cabinet; my SNES and NES were kinda jammed in there and had to be shuffled to play the latter.

As for the step down converter, I don't think you need it for US things these days. The one I got came packed with one of those small converter widgets and that's all it needed. It's the Japanese stuff that's more the problem. I can't plug in my Turbo Duo without needing to buy a big brick of a thing that costs way too much. It's a bummer, because I've got a heap of PC Engine CD games to play, and I've never done so.
    teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By teptom

I never knew about the Retro Duo. I want and need one right now. 

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @oldschool said:
    " What is a retro duo?    I don't know if could be bothered with an NES as the graphics are crap compared to the SNES  ^-^  It's all about the graphics. "
    A retro duo is a 3rd party system that plays both NES and SNES games.
    If I cared about graphics I would stick with my 360 or PS3 :D
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

You could get a top loading NES.  They're pretty reliable. 

CDUBBE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By CDUBBE

I got a Retro duo a little while back, and I have to admit it is pretty awesome. The only downside of it is that it comes with 3rd party controllers that are similar to the SNES ones. They just don't feel as responsive or solid though. A perfect solution though is to use an actual SNES controller. I was able to take one I had in the closet and use it with the retro duo. Works great. I do wish you could plug in an NES controller though

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

If you're playing for pure nostalgia, get the NES, if you just wanna play some NES and SNES games, get the duo, it's more reliable, as I have to regularly open the NES up and clean it. To the point where I've just kept the screws permanently removed. But it's also a little more satisfying, if you ask me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.