Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The NES, also known as Famicom, launched in 1983 in Japan and 1985 in North America, where the video game industry was headed downhill due to a deluge of poor games and over-saturation. Nintendo's second home console became an enormous success, establishing consoles as a mainstream market in Japan and pulling the North American industry back to its feet.

The NES Classic has been cracked (add new games)

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WynnDuffy

If you managed to get your hands on an NES Classic Edition this holiday season, you may already be tired of the 30 classic games pre-installed on the system by now. Nintendo has made clear that the tiny replica NES will not officially receive new games, especially with no WiFi protocol to download them. But that hasn't stopped budding hackers from scoffing at Nintendo's claims and adding games their own way.

This week saw separate hackers in Japan and Russia figure out soft-mod solutions to adding new games to the NES Classic. This means you don't need to grab a screwdriver or a soldering iron to mod yours.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/hackers-unlock-nes-classic-upload-new-games-via-usb-cable/

I didn't think it would happen without hardware modifications because of the limited I/O and it has happened much quicker than I expected.

I would still much prefer using a RaspberryPi or similar but there you go!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this means any future "Classic" console will just have a slot for a GameBoy-like cart to go into and just let people buy additional games.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this means any future "Classic" console will just have a slot for a GameBoy-like cart to go into and just let people buy additional games.

It's 2017 Nintendo. They will instead stop production on the NES Classic and remove virtual console functionality from the Switch. Remember, the best way to protect your precious precious IP is to never let anyone access it ever at any price.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By august

I was going to buy a friend of mine one of these for Christmas but ended up just making her a Retropie instead.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Precisely none of Nintendo's anti-piracy measures have stopped people from hacking the crap out of their hardware. I wish for once they'd just embrace modern technology instead of fighting it so hard. Imagine this thing with an NES style store front, expandable storage and enough of them to go around. It's like they don't want to make too much money.

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sqrabbit

I just added over 30 and it's running fine. They don't get sorted alphabetically though. It's in alphabetical chunks. Adding my Lolo games now hoping it doesn't explode lol.

Only tried US NES releases. No idea if Famicom stuff works (ie Castlevania 3 sound chip stuff), etc

EDIT - Tried it with 69 added (total 99) and started getting C8 errors when accessing the games. Running everything ok at 94 total so far.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@august said:

I was going to buy a friend of mine one of these for Christmas but ended up just making her a Retropie instead.

I love mine so much

coldblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wonder if you can load any other types of roms into this thing, like snes games.

voiceinject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piracy sucks.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coldblood said:

I wonder if you can load any other types of roms into this thing, like snes games.

If the hardware is capable, I could see someone making an SNES emulator that would run on it. The NES's lack of buttons might be an issue. Sega Master System games on the other hand...

SCheeseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segajupiter: Piracy is the only thing keeping thousands of games accessible and playable.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WynnDuffy

@segajupiter said:

Piracy sucks.

Most NES games are both from defunct companies and impossible to buy in a way that gives money back to the developers. The best option being Nintendo's eShop which isn't accessible without a Nintendo machine. Pirating these older games is essentially making no difference to anyone.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Egh, buying a Raspberry Pi and going about it that way still seems like the better way to go about playing these games if you're really serious about it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, screw the mini and the pi and give me one of these things:

Loading Video...

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By august

@segajupiter: Piracy is the only thing keeping thousands of games accessible and playable.

Not only obscure stuff, but things as mainstream as the original Strarfox. Nintendo is apparently unwilling to pay the money or do the legal legwork required to rerelease that game. The only way to play that game legally is on an original SNES cart and that's motherfucking crazy.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By godzilla_sushi

@august said:

Cheap, easy, fun! I did one as well and I've enjoyed it very much. Not knocking this product, but Pi 3 is the size of a credit card and can do amazing things. The dang thing has wifi, it's so rad.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

[Sigh] We stand at Feb 7th and you still can't buy one for $59.99.

Did Nintendo realize at the very last second that these things were easy to hack and just stopped making them because of that? I do wonder if that was the case, because I don't think I have seen a system pop up and sink into the deep underworld of scalping so fast and completely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.