Do you need Motion Plus for Nintendoland?

#1 Posted by meteora3255 (109 posts) -

I have 4 pre-motion plus Wii-Motes. Does anyone know if Nintendo Land supports these? I am specifically interested in whether the competitive games (Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion & Animal Crossing) support them.

#2 Edited by audioBusting (1481 posts) -

I think all Wii U games require Motion Plus.

edit: Nevermind, apparently Motion Plus isn't required for all Wii U games but definitely so for first-party titles (including Nintendo Land). You can get Motion Plus add-ons for the old Wiimotes.

#3 Posted by meteora3255 (109 posts) -

@audioBusting: The manual mentions pairing Wii Remotes (with no mention of the add-on) or Wii Remote Plus so I thought that distinction left the door open. Has anyone actually tried to use an old-school Wii-Remote with the game?

#4 Posted by korkesh (133 posts) -

I know that New Super Mario Bros U does not require motion plus but Nintendoland does

#5 Posted by mrhaydel (21 posts) -

I just played Nintendo Land last night with the girlfriend, and I used a regular old Wiimote without Motion Plus. We were able to play the 'competitive' attractions (Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion, and Animal Crossing) just fine, and also did a 3 attraction 'tour' without any trouble as well (since all you're doing there is passing the GamePad back and forth). Didn't get a chance to try any of the team/cooperative attractions, but, I'm guessing those would work as well, given that the others did.

So, at the very least, you're good to go on the competitive attractions!

#6 Posted by meteora3255 (109 posts) -

@mrhaydel: I'm glad to hear the competitive attractions work. I feel like some of the others may require it. Watching the QL made it seem like Zelda had pretty near 1:1 motion on the swords so I expect it may use it. I am just glad I don't need to plug in the bulky attachment for the games I actually want to play frequently.

#7 Posted by mrhaydel (21 posts) -

@meteora3255: Ah, good point about the Zelda one - you're probably right about it needing Motion Plus; also though, that one seems like the least fun one with a group of people. ;-) I haven't even played the Metroid one solo yet, so no telling what that one would be like multiplayer. As for Pikmin, that one also seems like one that wouldn't need it, but who knows!

If I come to find out any additional info, I'll report back here...

#8 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I have no Wii Motes and they don't even include one in the premium package, am I supposed to buy one just so I can play the inevitable Wii Sports U?

#9 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I have no Wii Motes and they don't even include one in the premium package, am I supposed to buy one just so I can play the inevitable Wii Sports U?

I doesn't come with a Wiimote? That seems bullshitty. Although long gone are the days of 2 controller pack-ins

#10 Posted by Vonocourt (2123 posts) -

Zelda and Metroid need Wii-motion Plus, and the Nunchuck also for Metroid. The other multiplayer games use sideways wiimotes.

#11 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I doesn't come with a Wiimote? That seems bullshitty. Although long gone are the days of 2 controller pack-ins

I never owned a Wii because I just got a 360 at the time, wanted to get a Wii U for nothing else but to play the 4 Wii games I missed upscaled and they don't even pack in a motion plus wii remote. Puts me off, also with major developers saying the Wii CPU is way slower than that of the PS3\360.

#12 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: You're in for some heartbreak because Wii games don't upscale

#13 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: You're in for some heartbreak because Wii games don't upscale

Yeah I think I will just pass, nothing really appeals to me with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.