Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Eurogamer have Nintendo NX leaks!

• 120 results
    Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Some-human

Apparently it'll be powered by the Nvidia Tegra X1 found in the Shield android TV thing, and will be both a portable console that docks to a TV with controllers that detach.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

EDIT: The article has been updated to include a concept of the detachable controllers.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I knew it would have a tv dock. The handheld/tv hybrid thing is the best of both worlds for them.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Redhotchilimist

It's exciting to see some more news. Everyone speculated this was the case, but having a strong article like this is something else.

Bit of a shame it's not backwards compatible. I skipped out on the Wii U confident that I could play those games on the NX. But like I skipped out on Pokemon White/Black in favor of just buying Pokemon Grey, only for them to put out Pokemon White/Black 2, this time they aren't doing it. The article mentions ports of Wii U games though, so hopefully the ones I'm curious about(Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Smash 4, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart 8, DK Tropical Freeze) make it over.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A mobile graphic processor. Hmm. Is the Tegra good or is it sub Wii-U power?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess nothing backwards compatible, maybe I'll need to get a Wii U after all...

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

..cartridge based? So will the best audio for the new Zelda be experienced on the WiiU? I'm fine with stylized graphics to compensate for lack of hardware but shitty audio gives me a headache. Interesting.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Having one platform finally means I actually may get the Nintendo system this time around.

I skipped the 3DS and Wii U games so having a way to play those would be nice too for the ones I'd like to check out. Not holding my breath I guess.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo would be smart to get ahead of this leak. Their stocks have already dropped 10% for the day.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Eh... I'll probably still buy it, but now I know I'll be getting the new Zelda on Wii U.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Performance wise, sounds again like Nintendo will outdo last generation (of course) but not current gen. Apparently there are questions if they are using a new version of the Tegra though.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Doesn't sound great to me, hope I'm wrong.

Guess this means Nintendo are focusing on the mobile market which makes sense given their recent direction and NX will probably rely on third party mobile games because I can't see many current gen developers spending the time to possibly downgrade their games for the NX unless something changes. Still, should be exciting to see if somewhat strange.

Return of cartridges could be super cool though.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@pyrodactyl: I'd be interested to see what they tout this as because right now, it's a bit disappointing. But that's only disappointment from the perspective of I was hoping to get a proper console and not another handheld. Does this replace the 3DS now? In any case i'll probably still get one, because I like a bunch of Nintendo's IP's.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

That's about what I expected the NX to be, and I'm more than willing to get one at launch. I don't care if they ever get third parties back on board, but to see that Nintendo is focusing all its resources on a single platform has me excited. If you combine the output of the 3DS and Wii U, that's a pretty impressive library, but unfortunately you need to buy two platforms to experience it. On a single platform, though? That's a great value.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By TheWildCard

So it is cartridge based. Not that surprising but interesting. Wonder how the performance is compared to the Wii U. Hope they don't skimp on the screen resolution this time.

A pitch like this system makes a lot of sense in Japan, but I wonder how it will go over with people who aren't traditionally into handheld gaming.

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Some-human

I guess with it being hand held it kind of has to be some form of cartridge or hard storage. I can't imagine anti disk skip technology has come on far enough, or anyone cares enough about it anymore to use disks in a portable device, unless they use UMDs.

It is pretty much exactly what everyone already speculated it would be though. I always get excited for new consoles regardless of it they seem like they'll be any good or not.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@geirr said:

..cartridge based? So will the best audio for the new Zelda be experienced on the WiiU? I'm fine with stylized graphics to compensate for lack of hardware but shitty audio gives me a headache. Interesting.

Not sure why it being cartridge based would impact the audio quality. The WiiU discs have a capacity of 25GB, so the purported 32GB size proprietary memory cards (cartridges) this will use have more storage space, not less, so I can't imagine them skimping on audio file size.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: You can get good audio out of cartridge based games, it's just dependent on the audio processor of the hardware.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Although this is basically what most of us expected, it's still very exciting. Just thinking about the breadth and depth of their handheld console games libraries together with their quality console libraries.

I think this is 100% the right move for Nintendo. To no longer have a handheld system and no longer have a home console, but to have one and the other be the same thing. To have just a Nintendo system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds perfect, I was worried about the focal point being a throwaway gimmick.

As long as the graphics are as good as the WiiU ill be there day one, Console and handheld Nintendo devs working on the same system is an exciting prospect. A handheld with a decent amount of power is cool on it's own, can't wait to see what fire emblem/ Pokemon look like. I'm primarily a PC gamer, after the ps4 I had zero desire to buy another high-ish powered PC console to put under a screen.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sounds like what I expected. This still leaves the question of how powerful it is compared to the Wii U.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds awful.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the "gimmick" of this console is just being able to be a handheld that can hook up to your TV, then great. None of this motion-control-touchpad nonsense shoehorned into nearly every game. No backwards compatibility is kind of a bummer, but there isn't much in the WiiU's catalog that will break my heart if I never play.

As long as the VC library is maintained (and expanded) and this thing has a great launch lineup or a solid 2017 lineup, then I could see myself getting down with this thing.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this mean I can play Monster Hunter on the big screen? :O

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Those controllers don't look very comfortable to use....

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cerberus3dog

I have not taken a portable console outside my apartment in years. The farthest I've traveled from a tv/monitor to play a 3DS/Vita game is my bed.

I don't like the idea that the new system will be less powerful than the WiiU. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is gonna look worse on Nintendo's next and best system? It doesn't look great on the WiiU!

Trading graphics from portability is a poor choice for the way I play games.

EDIT: Merging portable and console games onto one platform does excite me though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

All I wanted was a traditional console with Strong first party support Nintendo is known for and the third party support they experienced back in the SNES era.

This looks like only one of those things.

Not interested,

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard it will be more powerful than the Wii U. Pretty much same power as the Xbone.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ripelivejam

come on guys, it's Nintendo!! eviscerate them already!!!!

i'll be honest that i always suspected being a hybrid portable you're going to be sacrificing power. this sounds like it's going to be the most powerful handheld ever which is nice, but at the same time is playing even more second fiddle to sony and MS. someone said on eurogamer that they're now gunning to be the second console people get, which may make sense. i'm guessing this will (possibly) go over well with the kids. time will tell; im curious how breath of the wild will run on it.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@_brojangles_: their ds line has done well with 3rd party, I don't see why this would be any different.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So for somebody who doesnt care about portable gaming it's another wii u? Fuck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I wanted was a traditional console with Strong first party support Nintendo is known for and the third party support they experienced back in the SNES era.

This looks like only one of those things.

Not interested,

I don't get why so many people want modern third party support on a nintendo system, the days of arbitrarily restricting a game to a single platform is over, unless they own a stake in the developer or the game they wont get third party exclusives, if all you're looking for is mulitplatform games then there are 3 machines which will do this and will almost always do it better.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of a portable/console hybrid, which makes this even more of a complimentary system rather than one that directly competes with the Ps4 and Xbone, but those controllers look terrible. Wiimote and Nunchuck was never a fun way to play, even if you weren't doing motion control stuff. I also don't like the lack of backwards compatibility, especially if it means starting virtual console all over again on a FOURTH system.

Hopefully they will have a decent normal controller option and some kind of unified account system to buy digital games.

I want to want this thing. I miss playing Nintendo games on my TV. I will remain cautiously optimistic, though my gut reaction is negative because of the controller situation.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Tegra? So the Pokemon Go jokes last week about the NX being a phone weren't too far off.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will get 3rd party support. Just look at the Nintendo DS. If Nintendo do this right and market it properly, ie. the successor to the DS line, then this could be the best, most shrewd move Nintendo have made it a long time.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A lot of food for that on today's bombcast.

There's quite a bit to be worried about with this system, but I think it might be a positive overall for the quality of the games coming out. If it's completely unified that is.

What I'm wondering now is do I have to wait for the 3rd iteration of the NX before I jump in? Now that there's no split between home and portable, will they still try to make more money with NX 2.0 / 3.0?

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shit. As long as I can get those sweet HD graphics like Mario Kart and 3D World I'm on board.

A console/portable hybrid is a really cool idea. One place for all my Nintendo. The idea is growing on me.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

So I'll be able to play Pokémon on my TV finally? I'M IN!

Joking aside, I'm interest but still worried about the power of this thing, if this is weaker than the Wii U t might struggle.

Also, pricing guesses anyone? This is looking like a $400+

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By avantegardener

Its the Wii Gamepad that you play anywhere, take it with you, hook it up to your TV! You know like what everyone thought the WiiU would be, only this time for realsies. Honestly, pretty smart move to amalgamate there customer base.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Meh. Not sold on this yet.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NTM

If it is what it seems like, I'm disappointed. Not sure if I'd get one. I mean, if the power is lacking behind the One and PS4, I'm already disappointed honestly.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss the old Nintendo pushing the graphical boundaries. It is a let down to know that this will be more powerful than the 360 or Wii U, but lag behind PS4 and Xbone. I really wanted something more powerful. Would love to see it one more time.

One thing I do find interesting is how little power it will need due to that chip. Wonder what the battery life on that thing will be? Curious how much it will weigh? Will they sacrifice battery life for weight?

I will say I am intrigued by Nintendo releasing a handheld with enough juice to play on a TV without the nagging thought of "I am playing a handheld on a TV". I also wonder about the docking station. Will plugging it in give it mad extra power like my gaming laptop? Or will it have a booster type thing in it like you can get for the tiny alienware laptops?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By dagas

So it seems it is a Nintendo branded Nvidia Shield tablet. I doubt it is much more powerful than a Wii U. But never underestimate Nintendo. Just them putting out their Virtual Console collection on this thing could be a system seller. Maybe it is time to add Gamecube games to the virtual console now.

lemonliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo really needs to have an event already. This sort of leak just seems to lead to wilder speculation and people make up their minds about a system that they haven't even seen yet.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is certainly a Nintendo-Like solution in that I've seen nothing quite like this before.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kcin

Nintendo has been clear since day one that they are not trying to court adults. Just look at a damn SNES or Gamecube, or Wii, or Wii U. Remember this is the only console manufacturer who actually took a hardline stance on graphic violence in games published on their consoles. Recently, they even made a conscious effort to rework the shooter genre in a way that strips it of violence altogether (Splatoon).

This isn't to say what they do is bad; on the contrary, what they do is often some of the best work in the video game industry. It's just that they are the Pixar of console makers/game devs: these are systems and games that are aesthetically appealing to children first and foremost, with the sort of care, nuance, and attention to detail that adults can appreciate. If you're bummed out by the idea of an underpowered Nintendo handheld, just keep in mind that it wasn't meant for you anyway. I count myself among the bummed, personally, but oh well. Corporations don't age the way that people do.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use my n3DS on the train a lot when I go to Chicago, if I can get all of Nintendo's games on 1 platform that will allow me to play them on the train I'm in.

If they're focused on one console we could see "console" sized versions of Layton and the Mario RPGs.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Arebuckle

Hmm, I'm not sure what to think of it yet. On the upside, we may get a new Monster Hunter that we can play on a tv. That would be nice.

Well, that's if this replaces the 3DS. Which it probably won't anytime soon...

Shit.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure what to think about this yet.

Some people have been talking about how cool it'll be to finally have their handheld and console nintendo games on one system... and while that's a neat idea on paper it does leave me wondering one thing. How will they handle pricing for the games? There is a good £20 difference between a new 3ds game and a new Wii U game here. With this system will we now be paying more for what would normally be considered a handheld game?

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This weirdly makes me want to buy a wii u.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.