As Apple Soars, Nintendo Expects First Annual Loss

• 115 results
#51 Posted by Tsai (96 posts) -

@theuselessgod said:

I bought an iPhone 4S and passed on the 3DS. I'm part of the problem. :(

Yea me too...

HIGH FIVE!

#52 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

yeah I think they are related topics too, based on my highly scientific anecdotal "evidence". somehow the apple touch became the popular thing to have with younger kids than I would have expected. they want the touch instead of the ds or 3ds.

#53 Posted by darkvare (772 posts) -

lol i haven't bought anything nintendo in like 2 years

#54 Posted by handlas (2700 posts) -

always entertaining how much hostility the mention of Apple brings out.

More plz.

#55 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -

@patrickklepek: Do you have any proof of that? At all?

#56 Posted by CornishRocker (397 posts) -

I'm moving away from Nintendo stuff, myself. I find the games they're putting out just don't hold my interest anymore.

#57 Posted by kindgineer (2773 posts) -

Is anyone else hoping that Nintendo fails a little bit so they get their act together? I think the Wii went straight to their heads. The 3DS showed that they did not learn shit from their crappy online service and I think a little blow to the head like this might knock some sense into them. They cannot cater to the casual market forever, they won't upgrade to the Wii U ultimately if the original Wii works just fine; Unlike how a PS3/Xbox 360 owner will upgrade to the next gen because of opportunities.

Well, we'll see I guess.

#58 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

I think the success of the 3DS lately actually contributed to the extra loss. They are selling those things at a loss now, and they are selling more of them: ergo more loss. Another factor is probably that people don't buy enough games for their 3DS, I bet a ton only bought one with the mario 3d game and nothing else. I am sure the rise of gaming on the phones and tablets are also a factor, but not the biggest (because they actually sold a ton of 3DS'es the last few months).

I didn't expect an article like this from our supposedly real journalist.

#59 Posted by zokrym (4 posts) -

Isn't the conversion thing with the yen a big part of the loss?

#60 Edited by JonathanAshleyMoore (283 posts) -

I don't know if I should be angry that I brought a 3DS or not. I mean, Super Mario 3D Land and Zelda 3DS is fucking fantastic but at the same time... that's like... two games.

#61 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11337 posts) -

Now I almost want to buy a 3DS just to support Nintendo. Almost. I don't exactly have the funds at the moment.

#62 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

@Maitimo said:

Do you appreciate that by connecting these two unrelated things in your headline and having that throw-away remark in the lead paragraph, you are pushing a specific narrative that feeds into the kind of bizarre console tribalism you wrote a piece on a while back?

Nintendo says they're unrelated, I think they are.

"Patrick Klepek Thinks Apple's Rise and Nintendo's Fall Are Related" doesn't make a good headline, though.

#63 Posted by bricewgilbert (187 posts) -

I'm gonna wait till I see evidence to decide if games on iPhone/Pad are effecting game specific devices. Coloration does not equal causation.

#64 Edited by Crushed (884 posts) -

Regardless of whether Apple is directly impacting Nintendo financials (you could make a very strong argument that it was a high 3DS price followed by a deep price cut, lack of software on Wii and 3DS causing low sales of both, and the DS slowly trailing off are FAR bigger factors), putting it in the headline "AS APPLE SOARS" when a simple paragraph of speculation in the article itself could have sufficed smacks of sensationalism.

#65 Posted by Beatus (37 posts) -

I hope Nintendo can evolve to meet the demands of future markets. A handful of Nintendo titles mean more to me than "iAnything." I enjoy the convienence of the Apple ecosystem for photos & music but iOS games aren't YET on the level of Mario 3D Land.

#66 Edited by Xeirus (1338 posts) -

@Etnos said:

@jred250 said:

@Maitimo said:

Do you appreciate that by connecting these two unrelated things in your headline and having that throw-away remark in the lead paragraph, you are pushing a specific narrative that feeds into the kind of bizarre console tribalism you wrote a piece on a while back?

Edit: To expand, I suppose: the 3DS lack of success arises from the interaction of a lot of complex factors and cannot be reduced to simply "well, Apple", which while maybe a factor is not the exclusive reason for what's happened nor necessarily the biggest. It's disingenuous to present this story (really two stories) this way, particularly as Apple's results are not fully explainable by their share of the games business.

Yeah, I am a big Patrick fan, but I really did not like the way these things were paired together. It left a bad taste in my mouth, bleh....

2 unrelated things!? You'r mind scope got to be this big: -:- if you can see the mobil gaming market was being disputed by this 2; Nintendo lost long ago.

Really? Cause up till last year they were making money hand over fist and their stock was doing alright down from raging insane, having been inflated by all that money hand over fist they had been making for half a decade. What exactly is the basis for the claim that Nintendo lost long ago? Do you mean the Playstation era where they went from market leader to significant player but still an also ran? I can't really argue that I guess, but if that's what you meant you might want to make that more clear.

I don't especially have a dog in the race, but the simple fact that the 3DS, helped by a significant price drop, hurt by a worldwide global recession, has outsold the previous monster on the block, the DS, in sales to date from their respective launches sorta says it's doing fine.

I think you're all a bunch of cry-babies.

They -are- related, just because you can't see it or you disagree don't flip shit on Patrick. Go write your own news story and if anyone cares they can comment on it. Otherwise, let the man write his shit, damn, so much bitching.

@gladspooky said:

@patrickklepek said:

@Maitimo said:

Nintendo says they're unrelated, I think they are.

"Patrick Klepek Thinks Apple's Rise and Nintendo's Fall Are Related" doesn't make a good headline, though.

Of course they're related, people need to stop being naive.

#67 Posted by swfcfan (264 posts) -

I expect Nintendo to go the same direction as Sega within the next two years.

#68 Posted by Xeirus (1338 posts) -

@swfcfan said:

I expect Nintendo to go the same direction as Sega within the next two years.

$575 million is a LOT of money to lose, for any company. I doubt they'll be totally gone, but if they lose this much again........ phew, it's pretty bad.

#69 Posted by SpudBug (632 posts) -

I don't see why apple is mentioned in this story. It's like comparing Sony and microsoft's tv and pc software business to Nintendo. Nintendo is at the end of a cycle without a juggernaut like Pokemon, the game boy advance, or brain training to sustain and thrive on before the next console launch. The 3ds is doing very well, the wii is dead, and the wii u needs some serious retooling. That's not as much fun as comparing an only videogames company to a multimedia software and hardware giant that makes the most popular cell phone, tablet, and laptops. If the story here is that a videogames only company can't post apple-like profits, nobody should be surprised. And that certainly doesn't mean the death of one vs the other as some of the comments here have suggested.

#70 Posted by Sergio (2165 posts) -

@handlas said:

always entertaining how much hostility the mention of Apple brings out.

More plz.

I think it's more to do with the faulty reporting and not simply because Apple was mentioned. While I do have a 3DS (bought during that period where the price was dropped and was still able to get in the Ambassador program), I also have an iPod touch and an iPad, plan to get an iPhone once my contract with Sprint is up and I can move to Verizon, and only use Windows at home on my HTPC, with the rest of my computing on a MacBook Pro. Yes, I totally hate Apple.

#71 Posted by Kesselrun (67 posts) -

Business at this scale is usually too complicated to chalk up to a single narrative thread. Apple did really well for a number of reasons, and Nintendo fell behind expectations on their handhold AND console for other reasons. Maybe a sizeable chunk of people prefer IOS gaming to regular handhelds, but pushing that possibility always felt like reading tea leaves. 1UP Yours used to make proclamations about the industry at large based on leaps of logic all the time and it was really annoying.

#72 Edited by jasondesante (604 posts) -

i teach guitar and an 8 year old I teach has never heard of the 3ds, and has an ipod touch. Brags about the 20 games he has that are all shitty and watches netflix on his 3 inch screen and thinks thats cool.

Quality is going down, people are becoming dumber. Its not really a problem, Nintendo is always great, inspiring and top notch quality. If dumb people want to lower their standards it is not really a problem.

To have an amazing computer in your pocket and still not know how to realize it's potential is the exact same as having a perfect brain and letting it go to shit because you never knew the potential you possess.

#73 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

@Maitimo said:

That's fucking Patrick for you, man. *sigh*

#74 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Is Apple eating into Nintendo's console business too? Watch out Microsoft and Sony. Apple is winning. Patrick is calling it.

#75 Posted by PXAbstraction (343 posts) -

Once the iOS fashion trend tapers off and Apple's earnings drop to a more realistic and sustainable level, it will be entertaining to see if the press keeps reaching to compare everyone else to them.

#76 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Even GB has gotten in on the Apple dick sucking train.

#77 Posted by Gabriel (4071 posts) -

This article is weird.

#78 Posted by MormonWarrior (2617 posts) -

@jasondesante said:

i teach guitar and an 8 year old I teach has never heard of the 3ds, and has an ipod touch. Brags about the 20 games he has that are all shitty and watches netflix on his 3 inch screen and thinks thats cool.

Quality is going down, people are becoming dumber. Its not really a problem, Nintendo is always great, inspiring and top notch quality. If dumb people want to lower their standards it is not really a problem.

It's really a problem if the majority of the people out there stop buying video game systems and settle for garbage because the good stuff will stop existing. Nintendo didn't get huge because of a niche audience of fanboys, it got big because EVERYONE wanted a Nintendo.

See, I'm a huge Nintendo fan and all, and I'm even rebuilding my GBA collection that I (stupidly) sold off years ago, but I haven't wanted a 3DS at all and I hate the Wii (Besides the Mario Galaxy games, of course). Nothing about the WiiU is looking appealing to me either. If Nintendo would actually catch up with modern technology/internet features/etc. and make a system that could play the awesome third-party stuff that comes along, their exclusives would MURDER. But as it is, the Wii is a forgotten fad from five years ago and Nintendo's losing money. They've got to change something, or rather a lot of things dramatically.

#79 Posted by toots (467 posts) -

NINTENDO MUST NOT DIE

#80 Edited by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

@jasondesante said:

To have an amazing computer in your pocket and still not know how to realize it's potential is the exact same as having a perfect brain and letting it go to shit because you never knew the potential you possess.

Actually, the much larger issue is: how much did he pay for those 20 games? $20? Tops? That's not a sustainable business model for the developer, unless you are one of the few (the 1%, as it were) that are featured on iTunes' homepage.

@Maitimo said:

Edit: To expand, I suppose: the 3DS lack of success arises from the interaction of a lot of complex factors and cannot be reduced to simply "well, Apple", which while maybe a factor is not the exclusive reason for what's happened nor necessarily the biggest. It's disingenuous to present this story (really two stories) this way, particularly as Apple's results are not fully explainable by their share of the games business.

You beat me too it. Until iOS games move away from the $0.99 model it will always be a much smaller segment of the game industry. Hell, as long as it stays in the "generic shitty puzzler/RTS" realm of games it's going to stay a small market segment.

Edit: Rereading this article, what the fuck is the point Patrick is trying to make? These same two sentences are in this story:

Nintendo argues Apple hasn’t had a big impact on its business

the importance of 3DS experiencing continued success (it had a very strong holiday, thanks to some equally strong software)

If the 3DS is selling well, how can you argue that Apple has had a large impact on their financials?

#81 Posted by Fram (691 posts) -

Hate to admit it, but smartphone gaming is THE reason I haven't yet bought a dedicated gaming handheld, and I don't see myself getting one in the foreseeable future with my current income.

The games available on smartphones don't (for the most part) compare quality-wise with the best games on 3DS or Vita, sure. But consider the proliferation of quality 99cent games, or getting games for straight up NOTHING if you're aware of the promotions. Look at the increasing number of surprisingly great ports of beloved games - my 3GS actually plays a mean game of Doom ffs, effectively scratching my somewhat debilitating nostalgia itch. Also, the touchscreen has gone from being an inferior control option to the ubiquitous input-of-choice for all gaming handhelds, to the point where even the "hardcore" Vita offers TWO touch inputs.

Spending a couple of hundred bucks on a handheld gaming device and 40+ bucks a game suddenly doesn't seem like a great value proposition to me, especially if I don't have enough money or time to justify it.

#82 Posted by m2cks (591 posts) -

@jasondesante said:

Are you seriously complaining about how people are "becoming dumber" by buying more iOS games because an eight year old bragged about his games? Look, when I was eight I ran up to everyone just to tell 'em how awesome it was to have a Super Nintendo.

All I'm saying is, you shouldn't compare the poor kid's comprehension of technology to an adult's.

#83 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -

Way to just make up an angle on nothing since nintendo makes the same crap as apple does afterall. amirite?

#84 Posted by TheMasterDS (2090 posts) -

I wonder if the Wii U flops does Nintendo go third party? I'd actually think this is a great opportunity for Microsoft or Sony - if either could acquire Nintendo as a 2nd party they could get a lot of damn good IP in the process.

#85 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@m2cks said:

@jasondesante said:

Are you seriously complaining about how people are "becoming dumber" by buying more iOS games because an eight year old bragged about his games? Look, when I was eight I ran up to everyone just to tell 'em how awesome it was to have a Super Nintendo.

All I'm saying is, you shouldn't compare the poor kid's comprehension of technology to an adult's.

I don't know. My niece and nephew, 10 and 14 respectively, loved the DS. But now it's all iOS stuff. Well, my nephew also got an Xbox 360. You'll find him playing online in Black Ops.
#86 Posted by TWrite (25 posts) -

I find this over-analyzing of a headline that simply puts the article into context disgusting. I don't take the headline as pushing an agenda but rather it merely provokes thought on the possible correlation between mobile gaming and handheld gaming that is a current issue and one that as Patrick points out, Nintendo claims does not exist. The fact that this is more than just regurgitating a press-release is the reason I will continue to read Patrick's news articles.

#87 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

firstly. this is thier first loss ever since 85 or so .

and probably most of the loss comes from making of the new console-figure that in it does cost money

2ndly nintendo is far from in trouble, their 3ds is doing what it should now as iwata said they should be even in 2013 !

1 yr of in the neg is not bad its when your like sony . ---4 yrs strieght then have a failed launch of new console that is bad , and with all the new news on wii u it looks good and a new mario game on 3ds plus 200 from third paries in dev plus 3 confirmed new ips , ,

on 3ds alone is comforting enough . but i guess you can't please them all there will always be fanboys who say this is when nintendo is goign down bla bla bla they aint goin any where ,

until you can stop the 3ds from selling like hotcakes they aint goin any where .

#88 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

Just fuck off. A giant company who specializes in multimedia devices created for super conventional use along the lines of talking on the phone or listening to music and a company who only makes video games and things to play video games on. Totally comparable.

#89 Posted by Arlecchino (38 posts) -

Man, Patrick should just stick to what he's good at, and just do Quick Looks. Wait, what?

#90 Posted by Jost1 (2078 posts) -

@Maitimo said:

I have to agree with this gentleman.

#91 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

So Apple caused the strong yen?

#92 Posted by probablytuna (3746 posts) -

First ever annual loss for Nintendo? Well that's a shame.

#93 Edited by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

It makes far more sense that Apple has had an incredibly large impact on the mobile gaming industry than the contrary. The install base of the iPod touch and iPhone devices is massive and as such it's likely that there are a metric shit tonne of people playing iOS games. This cuts right into Nintendo's market: those parents who bought their kids DS's to play games on now just hand over their iPhone when the kid is bored in the back seat. I've seen this happen first hand with a lot of parents and their kids. Sure there are still people buying into dedicated handheld consoles, but it's turning into a smaller market and Nintendo (and Sony) are, and will in the future, feel the effects. Obviously the kids aren't the only part of that market, but even teens and young adults are playing on their iPhones now, whereas some of them may have had mobile gaming devices to pass the time during their daily commute, travelling etc.

#94 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

@TheMasterDS said:

I wonder if the Wii U flops does Nintendo go third party? I'd actually think this is a great opportunity for Microsoft or Sony - if either could acquire Nintendo as a 2nd party they could get a lot of damn good IP in the process.

Nintendo said they will never go third party. They said if they close all their games go with them

#95 Posted by Marokai (3078 posts) -
@jozzy said:

I think the success of the 3DS lately actually contributed to the extra loss. They are selling those things at a loss now, and they are selling more of them: ergo more loss. Another factor is probably that people don't buy enough games for their 3DS, I bet a ton only bought one with the mario 3d game and nothing else. I am sure the rise of gaming on the phones and tablets are also a factor, but not the biggest (because they actually sold a ton of 3DS'es the last few months).

I didn't expect an article like this from our supposedly real journalist.

I second this. 

Also, I don't even know what fucking point Patrick thinks he has here. He insists that the two things are related, but openly says even in his own original post that the 3DS is doing much much better than before. So, Nintendo's annual loss is related to Apple eating into their handheld sales.. that are doing well? Huh?
#96 Posted by Marokai (3078 posts) -
@JLF1 said:

So another pro-Apple thread then Patrick?

Not only "another pro-Apple thread", or even yet another "Apple > Nintendo" thread, but yet another one of those threads without literally anything substantive to justify why he thinks Nintendo's annual loss is directly related to Apple.
#97 Posted by GBOmega (13 posts) -

No amount of enthusiasm or preference for Nintendo can change the fact that iOS devices are making it into peoples' hands more often than Sony or Nintendo ones. This is just the bare physical reality of the situation.

It doesn't matter which is a dedicated device or not - that's not even the question.

It's that if you made a pile of any Nintendo or Sony portable sold and all the i-crap sold and put them side by side, the i-crap pile is just that much bigger. Larger installed base, equivalent if not more horsepower, more frequent releases (how many iPhones and Androids have come out over the course of the DS?), stronger developer focus, more frequent updates to the OS that contain consumer-facing improvements...Sony and Nintendo need to learn a lot from Apple and Google if they wanna survive.

Tablets and phones are without a doubt eating into Nintendo's profits and console makers need to stop pretending like racing to the bottom is going to help them survive.

#98 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

Patrick, throw some Pachter quotes into your financial analysis blurbs if possible. It's the best you can get and always makes me feel warm an fuzzy on the inside.

#99 Posted by Marokai (3078 posts) -
@GBOmega said:
Tablets and phones are without a doubt eating into Nintendo's profits and console makers need to stop pretending like racing to the bottom is going to help them survive.
What? The overall quality, scale, and production value of most tablet and mobile games are what I would call the very definition of racing to the bottom.
#100 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

And I don't think the Wii U isn't the answer for Nintendo either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.