Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

As the Handheld World Changes, Nintendo Strikes Back

• 156 results
    GGear0323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By GGear0323

the success of the DS was never sustainable. it was inflated due to the influx of many casual gamers, which is why it sold over 150 million units. but the thing is, outside of the initial launch of the Game Boy and the DS, handhelds were never reliant on casual gamers. the PSP was never marketed towards casuals and it sold almost 70 million units. the GBA sold about 80 million units. and even with that initial influx, the Game Boy and Game Boy Color, over a decade, sold about 118 million units. portables may never hit that 150 million mark ever again, but they don't have to in order to be successful. you may see a bigger software slide towards smartphone gaming, but until developers can prove that a sizable number of those gamers are willing to pay more than 10 bucks for a game, they will never ignore the tens of millions of potential customers that are accustomed to spending between 20-40 dollars for a game. gaming as a whole is still a niche market, portable gaming as well, but in the past, no one bothered looking at the large number of casual gamers out there (the ones playing Snake and Tetris and Bejeweled on their dumbphones for hours on end). now we are looking at those people and they far outnumber the people that are willing to purchase a portable console, but that has always been the case. i don't see the core handheld market going away anytime soon. 

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#152  Edited By Rekt_Hed

As the App market grows at blinding speed and is so easy to use for customers its obvious that more 'casual' gamers would want to be part of the new thing especially when its so simple to use.

Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot by having such a long drawn out opening launch. The lack of sexy software coming out and SO MANY REMAKES of old games for full retail price I'm really not suprised the 3DS isnt selling.

This is what happens when you build a console on a gimmic and expect that to carry the console without any decent eshop or software.

Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By Volgin13

Thanks to lack of 3DS software I started playing FarmVille, on my iPhone. That is the most heinous crime of all.

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By Sykosis

I really love these editorials guys. keep them up.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#155  Edited By apoptosis61
    @Phoenix87 said:
    Nintendo is the new Sega. Its only a matter of time before they are software only.
    i love nintendo but i think the time for a nintendo-sony fusion has come , oh plz god
    BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#156  Edited By BitterAlmond

I'm just not on-the-move enough for portable games. As a general rule, sit-down console or PC games are more complex, better-looking and generally more fun and lengthy. Add on the fact that I'd much rather look at a big, friendly screen than suffer neck strain looking down at something in my hands for a long period of time, and I doubt I'll ever buy a handheld gaming system. They just don't make sense for me.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#157  Edited By mariokart64fan

By the end of March, Nintendo had sold 5.27 million units worldwide well looks like they hit that mark , because 3ds has sold 6 million according to the last report , world wide, -just a month shy of dses record , oh well ,

the games are coming=good sign @jetforcgemini, apple aint gonna do nothing ,but release countless ipads no one uses for games they use them for music ,

get a grip , ipad has no future in the gaming market , its only shoved a side as a after thought look at those games if its not a port of a 10 yr old-caugh gta 3 , game , its some little flemsy angry bird type game which you can play for free in the google chrome browser haha now i bet you feel ripped off even paying 2 dollars andchange for a free game !

sucks for ya, that will keep happening for as long as you support one of the most overrated companys in history of making companys, they are even behind mr coffee . im sure your aware of what that is ,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.