Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Be honest, when you first learned of the 2DS did you think it was a joke?

• 77 results
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Be honest, when you first learned of the 2DS did you think it was a joke? (371 votes)

Yes 76%
    No 24%

Let me make this clear I'm not criticizing the product. It's just I saw it scroll across twitter and honest to god thought it was a joke. The Joystiq article even has to say "This is not a joke.:

• 
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By ch3burashka

It still technically is a joke...

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ryanwhom

I thought it was aimed at a younger audience. In the same way barbies aren't made for me, neither is this. I'd remind people complaining about the size that plenty of people manage with their iPad. If the design wasn't meant for kids and was actually meant to put it in parity with iPad, though, that's ill conceived I think.

Should also say plenty of people thought the iPad and the Wii were jokes when they came out, and those people are poor because they didnt invest in wildly successful products. So maybe this is another case of being out of touch for people who think its stupid.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I at first thought that people were just being funny on Twitter.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By grilledcheez

It seemed fine until I read they were changing the design of the actual product and then looked at that ugly thing they came up with, that made it a joke!

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well DSs are doing super well for nintendo and they seem to be just about the only thing doing well for them lately so..I guess it kinda makes sense that they'd find any old reason to bring out a new device. The slate form factor is definitely distinctive, I just don't see the what the advantage is. Maybe getting rid of the whole folding design allow them to save some space? Put a larger battery in?

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why would Nintendo bother making a 3DS with no 3D functionality? If you don't want to use the 3D feature, you can just turn it off. Also, the 2DS design is hideous, and on top of that it doesn't even fold. How is anyone supposed to carry that clunky thing around with them? This is such a confusing and pointless move by Nintendo.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, but I mean I also thought the Wii-U was some sort of joke too.. so, there is that.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, and I am excited to buy mine.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Disaya

When I got home my brother told me Nintendo was coming out with a new handheld and I got excited. Then he showed it to me and I seriously thought he was lying to me. I had check out several sites before I was finally convinced it was real. I dislike the design the most.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@zedman: You're being stupid if you think that any hardware manufacturer costs their new devices in such a way as to undercut the cost of a used device. The 2DS does not exist to be cheaper than used 3DS units; it exists to be cheaper than unopened retail 3DS units.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ModernAlkemie

If I laugh every time I see a photo of it or the words 2ds, doesn't that make it a joke?

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

2 DOUBLE SCREEN, WOO!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Yep. Mostly because it's fugly.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, but then I realized to my dismay that it isn't April Fool's Day.

JaceTwice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By JaceTwice

I thought it was a joke at first when hearing about it on twitter. But then there were a whole lot of mentions about it from completely separate people which was just even more confusing.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Clonedzero

Well the first time i heard of the 2DS was clicking this damn thread. But yes....I still thought it was a joke....

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

No, but I wouldn't be fooled for a second if it were on April Fool's. It certainly looks like a bad Photoshop.

I still kind of want one, though.

W1ck3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By W1ck3d

If the battery life for the 2DS is better than the 3DS I might buy one.

zedman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: my point is if people can't afford a real 3ds they are most likely to buy a pre owned 3ds rather than a more expensive less featured version. I agree that you can not compare pre owned to new prices but its about the the market who is this for. Maybe I'm getting old but this looks like junk while the 3ds looks kinda ok

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#70  Edited By egg

I thought it was a fanmade/modded system at first, or a chinese knockoff.

Anyway I like the wedge shape of the system and generally I think it's a great idea for a model revision, but it's a shame it has only one speaker. The biggest turnoff however is that it's not XL sized. (well, I'm merely assuming it's not)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#71  Edited By Humanity

It's a joke that keeps on giving.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I did...then i realised the thing on my twitter feed was from GAME in the UK and they dont do funny. Still think its a weird idea but i guess if its being positioned for young kids i can see a market there, no sonner had i shared it i had 3 of my followers say they would totally buy it for their kids.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

No, not at all. I thought the design looked weird at first though.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By benpicko

No, it just reminded me how much of a joke current Nintendo is

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I still think its a half joke, but am curious still. I am not sure I am going to buy one, but now on GAF they are claiming the thing has an even worse battery life than the original 3DS which is probably still going to be a no-go.

I am kind of waiting for a 3DS-Lite if they ever come out with one of those I might be on-board.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I still think its a half joke, but am curious still. I am not sure I am going to buy one, but now on GAF they are claiming the thing has an even worse battery life than the original 3DS which is probably still going to be a no-go.

I am kind of waiting for a 3DS-Lite if they ever come out with one of those I might be on-board.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if there was a huge problem with kids breaking their 3ds clamshells because this looks like its designed for clumsy kids and frustrated parents.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always I thought that it was inevitable. 3D wasn't exactly a valid selling point for the device plus it's not a necessity in any of the games

Although I have to admit, the bulky nature of the hardware is a bit weird, but I do see the logic behind it (no more broken hinges, one large screen to cut down costs). Plus unless you're talking about a Game Boy Micro, carrying around a handheld console in your pocket ain't exactly comfortable.

In all honesty I was looking forward to buying one since I thought they would really reduce the price, then I saw it it costs £109 in the UK which is pretty much the same price as a second hand 3DS so that was a bummer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.