Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

E3 2009 - Nintendo Press Conference Discussion

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#351  Edited By AgentJ

It didnt match the Microsoft Conference, and i really wanted to see some Starfox or F-Zero or 1080 or Wave Race, but Fuck, they finally gave me my Golden Sun, and that Metroid game was just icing  on the fucking awesome cake. Thank you Nintendo

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#352  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TomA: They're all about level design. The last Mario Galaxy was almost mastery of level design. And from the trailer the new one looks just as good.

As for Metroid. Dude it's METROID. That's partly about level design too. But the trailer made it look like a "true" sequel to Super Metroid which is one of the best games of all time. That's where the excitement comes from.
    Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#353  Edited By Spiritof
    @Diamond said:
    ".So overall my rankings so far : MS = 2/5, EA = 2/5, Ubisoft = 0/5, Nintendo = 3/5 "
    Dude, you're giving ratings to press conferences. Please cease and desist.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#354  Edited By MrKlorox

Wow. I did get shivers, but only after the initial shudder. This isn't the type of Metroid I was asking for, but I must admit, I'm quite interested in. Between this and Shadow Complex, my 2D Metroid appetite will be sated.

I knew it was Samus as soon as I saw the blue suit and blond ponytail.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355  Edited By Diamond
    @SpiritOf said:
    "
    @Diamond said:
    ".So overall my rankings so far : MS = 2/5, EA = 2/5, Ubisoft = 0/5, Nintendo = 3/5 "
    Dude, you're giving ratings to press conferences. Please cease and desist. "
    I rate your post a 1/5.  Good day sir.
    capitanm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By capitanm1

well... excited for mario galaxy 2, metroid, and goldensun ds... thats about it :/

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Wow.  Exceeded my expectations by a landslide.  Metroid Prime by Team Ninja and Super mario galaxy  2 (didn't care hugely for the first though)

Overall I'd give them a C if I had to do it by letter grade.
    Not even close to MS's conference, but you know, no one was expecting it to be.  I thought it was going to be awful mid way through though....

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#358  Edited By mracoon

Well done Nintendo! I don't think 'hardcore' gamers can complain with that line-up:  Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario vs. Donkey Kong DSi and Warioware DIY. I'm impressed enough to actually be thinking about getting a Wii.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#359  Edited By Black_Rose

w00t...finally Nintendo!!

Can't wait to hear more stuff about Metroid: OM.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Steve_C said:
    " Wow, not sure how i feel about a 3rd-person metroid? Looks damn interesting. "
    I am actually kind of excited.  I honestly was not a fan of the 1st person but thought they were fine games.  Hopefully they don't turn her into Ryo or some kind of Ninja.  I really hope she keeps a lot of her quick agility feel, but keep all those weird weapons and power ups and not go Ninja style on everyone.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#361  Edited By samcotts

Meh, wasn't bad, certaintly wasn't great either though. Was waiting for the "But wait, there's even more!" and for a Zelda trailer to play. Ah well.

ResplendentElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By ResplendentElk

i new this would likely be the outcome but what an epic epic dissapointment,cammy needs to never show her face most os us cant stand her. but anyway wow galaxy 2? how original..... and a non retro studios metroid? ok.... i dunno i love nintendo but im tired of being brow beat in this relationship with epic lameness...

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#363  Edited By Eelcire

Well, Nintendo actually had some games to announce!

+ New Super Mario Bros Wii
    + Super Mario Galaxy 2
    + Metroid Other M; but why Team Ninja?
    + Dead Space Extraction looks nice

- Wii Motion+ is nice, but it was announced and shown last year; too much time given to it.
    - Wii Vitality Sensor?
    - No Miyamoto

Not many games that suit my tastes, but a good deal of announcements nonetheless. Decent showing from Nintendo, and much better than last years conference.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#364  Edited By Death_Unicorn

It was sorta meh, I think it was more meh than was needed because of Microsoft's awesome conference. However, I do look forward to getting my greasy hands on golden sun, man oh man its been too long. the Mario RPG and Metroid also looked sweet.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    @mracoon said:
    "Well done Nintendo! I don't think 'hardcore' gamers can complain with that line-up:  Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario vs. Donkey Kong DSi and Warioware DIY. I'm impressed enough to actually be thinking about getting a Wii."
    You realize that they only announced 3 wii games, 1 being rediculously overpriced?
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By luce
    @AltDimension said:
    "
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " Great conference, blew Microsoft out of the water, in my opinion. Admittedly that wasn't at all hard to do. "
    I totally disgaree with what you said there. Microsofts conference was all about good games, Nintendo was about pointless banter, and one redeemed game it at the end. 
    "
    that. im a metroid fan so that was kind of enough but i'll tell you what..sony might sell me a ps3 soon

this "wii" wasn't designed to entertain people like me and i think this conference confirmed it
    RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#367  Edited By RedSox8933

Reggie just dodged a question on when New Super Mario Bros. is coming out, but he did say that SMG2 is 2010, which kind of sucks.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " watching them present these "hardcore" games, makes me feel like i am watching a press conference from 5 years ago.  "
    No crap, right!  That has been one of their best since they announced  that "Capcom 5" for the gamecube.  I would say at the very least that I enjoyed the hell out of 3 of them, 1 (dead phoenix) being cancled and PN03 kind of just sucking.
    dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#369  Edited By dethfish

I wish they'd make Super Metroid HD while they're at it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By Linkyshinks

Great show, awesome games are on the way. I was great to see Galaxy 2 finally, that looked stunningly good. And Metroid, by Team Ninja of all developers!

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371  Edited By mracoon
    @SmugDarkLoser said:
    "
    @mracoon said:
    "Well done Nintendo! I don't think 'hardcore' gamers can complain with that line-up:  Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario vs. Donkey Kong DSi and Warioware DIY. I'm impressed enough to actually be thinking about getting a Wii."
    You realize that they only announced 3 wii games, 1 being rediculously overpriced? "
    But they still have a lot of good games that are already released.
    ResplendentElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By ResplendentElk
    @luce said:
    "
    @AltDimension said:
    "
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " Great conference, blew Microsoft out of the water, in my opinion. Admittedly that wasn't at all hard to do. "
    I totally disgaree with what you said there. Microsofts conference was all about good games, Nintendo was about pointless banter, and one redeemed game it at the end. 
    "
    that. im a metroid fan so that was kind of enough but i'll tell you what..sony might sell me a ps3 soonthis "wii" wasn't designed to entertain people like me and i think this conference proved it "
    im with ya,what a massive bummer. nintendo sure knows how to make lil girls squeel and grown men cry
    BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By BrockSampson

Better conference then I thought. But nothing that would make me purchase another Wii (I had one but sold it after a month or two) or buy a DSi. A lot of the bad banter was killing me too.

And there is nothing suprising about a Metroid game or a Mario game. They are standard at this point. Now I wait to see what Sony does.

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By bekern

Mario galaxy 2 was enough for me. That trailer had me the more excited than any e3 trailer yet :)

Avatar image for eternalightness
    eternaLightness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#375  Edited By eternaLightness

New Metroid looks awesome! At first I though they were doing a Wii Ninja Gaiden.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#376  Edited By AgentJ

I wonder why they didnt show off Sin and Punishment 2 at all? And after we expected Pikmin at the show, and no appearance by Miyamoto, i wonder if Nintendo has something up their sleeve. Someone said earlier that Miyamoto was doing a special closed door presser. I wonder what will come of that. 

But really. GOLDEN SUN!!!! If this website had signatures, mine right now would be GOLDEN SUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I got really excited, because it looked like the new Metroid was going to take place from a 2D perspective. But then it didn't. I want a new 2D Metroid for DS.

And I like how "going 4-D" for Mario just means 4 player co-op lol.

Overall the press conference was better than last years, which wasn't hard. Not as good as Microsoft, but they still managed to announce some cool games.

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#378  Edited By altdimension
    @luce said:
    "
    @AltDimension said:
    "
    @Drebin_893 said:
    "
    that. im a metroid fan so that was kind of enough but i'll tell you what..sony might sell me a ps3 soonthis "wii" wasn't designed to entertain people like me and i think this conference confirmed it "
    Woah, sorry for my bad wording there.
    I'm also a big Metroid fan, and it's really the only franchise that keeps me interested in nintendo these days, mario just doesn't have any story to keep me interested. Wii is just too aimed at non-gamers (proved by the fact that I bought it and now only my younger brother plays it) and seems to holding it's hardcore fan base on with a thread via occasional big releases like Zelda and Metroid.
    webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#379  Edited By webby

Looking forward to Golden Sun, Metroid, Galaxy 2 and maybe the Mario and Luigi RPG 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By Diamond
    @AgentJ said:
    " I wonder why they didnt show off Sin and Punishment 2 at all? And after we expected Pikmin at the show, and no appearance by Miyamoto, i wonder if Nintendo has something up their sleeve. Someone said earlier that Miyamoto was doing a special closed door presser. I wonder what will come of that. 

But really. GOLDEN SUN!!!! If this website had signatures, mine right now would be GOLDEN SUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "
    I guess a Nintendo fan might feel about the Nintendo conference the way I felt about the MS conference.  I agree no Miyamoto is weird.  Same for Rare not showing up at the MS conf.  Weird how many things are 'missing' during this E3...
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By mracoon

Looking back I'm kind of surprised Nintendo didn't show some other IPs. No F-Zero, no Pikmin 3, no Starfox and no Kid Icarus (obviously).

Merx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By Merx
    @get2sammyb said:
    " Super Mario Galaxy 2 and new Metroid are absolute 100% total WINS from me. Rest of the conference is irrelevant. They are ALL I needed. "
    All you needed was 2 games for an entire system? We have a spy amongst us!

Anyway, the DS stuff was cool, some of it anyway. I like the story driven stuff on the DS so thats cool. But damn, the Wii.

What a sorry state that is in. Unless you are intending on buying ALL of the following:
    Metroid
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Dead Space
    Resident Evil
    Conduit

you are only gonna have 5 games to give a shit about this year. Wait no, 4, cus metroid is next year. And if you dont like Mario, thats 3. So what Nintendo have provided to the hardcore faitful are shooters, something which I wouldnt really make a scene about, since arnt Nintendo fanboys against shooters?

I have a Wii, not at mine, but will do probably within the next 6 months (my grandma will probably give me hers since she dosnt play it anymore, theres only so much bowling she can take) and I think I will just sell it, or get a few games for when I have a girl round who dosnt normally play games.
    Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#383  Edited By Spiritof
    @Diamond said:
    "
    @SpiritOf said:
    "
    @Diamond said:
    I rate your post a 1/5.  Good day sir. "
    LOL!

At least I got a good comeback. Honestly though all I need is a liked or a disliked. I don't need a numbered degree of how much you liked or didn't like it.

Microsoft = Disliked
    EA = Liked
    Ubisoft = Disliked
    Nintendo = Liked

Really, it's just that easy.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#384  Edited By penguindust

I think Nintendo did a very good job with their conference.  They appealed to the casual market without ignoring the "core" audience.  I was iffy on Super Mario World Co-op (that's what it is), but they scored big points with Galaxy 2.  Up to that point I would have given them a B- for an overall score, but Reggie said "I read the blogs, I know what you've been saying" and then showed some challenging games meant to appeal to the game enthusiast crowd.  He topped it off with a new Metroid, which looks pretty damned good so far. 

I have mostly good things to say about the presentation, including a conscious decision by Nintendo to cut out all the business crap and focus on what games they are developing for this year and early next.  If I have a complaint it's how completely baffled by the Wii-Biofeedback device.  What the hell?  I get the idea, mind, body and spirit, but really? That's what they came up with?  Ah well, housewives across the globe will probably love the doohickey. 

Overall, excellent job done by Nintendo and they are equal in my book with Microsoft for the race to "win" E3 for 2009.  Next up Sony.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385  Edited By Diamond
    @SpiritOf said:
    "
    @Diamond said:
    "
    @SpiritOf said:
    "
    @Diamond said:
    I rate your post a 1/5.  Good day sir. "
    LOL!At least I got a good comeback. Honestly though all I need is a liked or a disliked. I don't need a numbered degree of how much you liked or didn't like it.Microsoft = DislikedEA = LikedUbisoft = DislikedNintendo = LikedReally, it's just that easy. "
    Well if I wanted to be really clear I could go through each element of each conf, which I have over a span of 100 posts or so.  Maybe it'd be better like this :

Microsoft = disappointing lack of game content, demos, and expected announcements
    EA = annoying casual elements, but a few high points
    Ubisoft = offensively business-like, boring, and antagonizing
    Nintendo = unexpectedly solid
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By AuthenticM

Metroid is going to be awesome!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @mracoon said:
    " Looking back I'm kind of surprised Nintendo didn't show some other IPs. No F-Zero, no Pikmin 3, no Starfox and no Kid Icarus (obviously). "

Me too, there are certainly loads of others in the works, I really thought they would have choose to show them now. Maybe it's going to be a Tokyo Game Show thing, I could easily see that happening with Pikmin 3.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#388  Edited By matthew

Project M.......I'd heard Brad say something about Dread, but either way, This is going to be interesting.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#389  Edited By KamasamaK

No Pikmin or Zelda for Wii? :(

It was okay. SMG2 is definitely the highlight for me.

Otrebor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#390  Edited By Otrebor

Like a Shit ball with candy on the center. The sweet spot was small but oh so satisfying.  The candy that still covered in shit was Wii Sports Resort but the sweet sweet part was Golden Sun, Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M. I was still left with a bad aftertaste but the memory of the candy still consoles me.

ResplendentElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391  Edited By ResplendentElk
    you guys r in la la la land. that was one of the worst conferences ive seen in some time....

...........................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,..................
    WHY SO FAIL

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By JazzyJeff

Shit was weak.

The only thing that looked "great" was Super Mario Galaxy 2, and even that was just more of the same. It's weird how Nintendo fans continue to stand behind the company after being repeatedly shat on year after year.

Merx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By Merx

3 "core games" for you "core Wii fans" and every 1 is a shooter.

Its poetic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vitality Sensor was pretty funny. Now you can check to make sure you're still alive!

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#395  Edited By lethalki11ler

I dont understand why people dislked microsofts conference so bad :s i really enjoyed it!
    But yeah so far Ive watched all of them live and Ive got to say    Microsoft>EA>Nintendo>Ubisoft
    I really can't wait for sony's, i have the 360 and the Wii and I'm going to base my purchase of a PS3 on how good their conference is and on how good the games are going to be. 20 more minutes :)

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#396  Edited By Death_Unicorn

But there were plenty of lows in this conference too, like when the president started rambling, the new peripheral that can read your pulse, the game that lets you change model's clothes, and all the stat reading done.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By atejas

How long to the Sony conference now?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By Diamond
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " But there were plenty of lows in this conference too, like when the president started rambling, the new peripheral that can read your pulse, the game that lets you change model's clothes, and all the stat reading done. "
    Every conference has had large shit piles to wade through so far.  Ubisoft's was mostly shit, and they even had a guy going on about how Ubisoft is making so much money making the world's worst games and saying how great that was.  He acted like he expected the audience to be filled with oil barons and investors or something (maybe it was, judging by the applause).
    JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399  Edited By JazzyJeff
    @atejas said:
    " How long to the Sony conference now? "
    About 20 minutes.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400  Edited By Linkyshinks

The games they showed were great, but how they showed them was terrible, It was a very badly put together conference in my eyes, mixing great games in between shit drivel like they did was plain dumb. They should have taken Microsoft's approach and not wasted time with BS that nobody cares about, no gamer I know anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.