Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

...it is a sad week for Nintendo.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#201  Edited By geirr

I'll get their WiiU games when they're released on Steam.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

The Wii U is a poor platform. Had they developed a stronger platform perhaps they would have sold those games.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Guys, I now own a Wii U. It seems pretty neat.

Just bought a Wii U myself. It's pretty freaking cool. And the gamepad is very comfortable.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like the Wii U.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Pretty bad that quality is not that important. When I have heard that Knack did better than Mario I was really like wtf?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#206  Edited By project343

@gonmog said:

And for the life of me...i cant remember the first year of the ps3 or 360.

Top-tier games:

• Call of Duty 2
    • Project Gotham Racing 3
    • Viva Pinata
    • Gears of War
    • Geometry Wars
    • Oblivion
    • Dead Rising
    • Saints Row
    • Rainbow Six: Vegas

Mid-tier games:

• Splinter Cell: Double Agent
    • GRAW
    • Battle for Middle Earth 2
    • Hitman: Blood Money
    • Kameo: Elements of Power
    • Perfect Dark Zero

I'm calling bullshit on your statement. My WiiU is arriving on Thursday (woo, crazy Walmart deal), but I can only think of a handful of WiiU games that I want to play:

• NSWB/Luigi
    • Wind Waker HD
    • Pikmin 3
    • 3D World
    • Wonderful 101

All other meaningful games on the system are either hand-me-down ports (Mass Effect 3), or are outright lesser versions of the same experiences from last-generation (Arkham City: Armored Edition). The big difference between these titles and the first year of Xbox 360 releases is that these cross-gen titles are significantly better on next-generation: GRAW, Hitman, Double Agent, Rainbow Six--all extremely solid examples of this.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lightning never strikes twice.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project343: Rayman Legends and Deus Ex: Human Revolution The Directors Cut seem to be the definitive versions of these respected games on the Wii U. Thinking about picking them both up. There's also Lego City Undercover which seems pretty cool.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What makes the WiiU version of Deus Ex: HR definitive? The issue is that although definitive versions on some platform is neat it still may not mean that much where all we need to do is remember which version was the definitive version of Soul Calibur 2.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#210  Edited By sodapop7

I've played more Nintendo stuff the last few months by a wide margin. I'll be picking up Pikmin, Mario and Wonderful 101 at Christmas at least. It looks like they're coming into their stride right now to me. Especially with pretty much zero out for the new consoles for the foreseeable future (at least that I'm interested in).

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nintendo are still fucking idiots for naming it so similar to the Wii. If they had a brain they'd change the name ASAP.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Claude

@extomar said:

What makes the WiiU version of Deus Ex: HR definitive? The issue is that although definitive versions on some platform is neat it still may not mean that much where all we need to do is remember which version was the definitive version of Soul Calibur 2.

The combination of DLC integration and the gamepad. From what I've read, it's used very well. Well enough to buy the game for a third time. Played it on the 360 and bought the PC version cheap. Maybe I'm crazy.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#213  Edited By sammo21

Guess which game is going to have a longer tail in the end? Mario.

I will agree this is slightly troubling but its not an end of the world scenario. Nintendo has had the bad habit in recent years of coming up with a great concept and riding it over and over until people get tired of it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

Nintendo are still fucking idiots for naming it so similar to the Wii. If they had a brain they'd change the name ASAP.

There is something to this because a lot of casual market is confused as to what the Wii U actually is.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Part of the problem, well can't say it is problem but an issue, is that the 3DS is so damn good, with so many damn good games. They need to treat the Wii U as a real console, and not just a bigger DS. Look at Super Mario. 3D Land was a great game on the 3DS, but now the Wii U gets a console version of that. They did that with New Super Mario Bros. While I am sure 3D World is a great game, though I think it is more Super Mario 3 than World, it doesn't scream console game, but shows traces of its handheld roots which is hard for people to get past. Now had they put out Super Mario Universe or something crazy, it would be different. They need a sequel to Super Mario 64 and a new Zelda. I love the Wind Waker but remakes don't sell systems. Well I still want that bundle, so tempting.

Also, it is not too late. Vinny had it right. Reggie gets on my nerves with his unwillingness to admit that the Wii U is stupid name. Want to capitalize on the success of the last console? You call it the Wii 2, or the Super Wii. To evoke the idea, that it is new and better. Wii U doesn't tell you shit.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: After buying one and unboxing it my Mum asked "so how do I plug this into the wii?" This things been out a year and a core market (Parents who loved wii fit/sports) still don't understand it's a separate console. The same goes for my five year old cousin, it's insane how badly they botched the naming.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@wampa1: I'm not sure it's fair to expect a five-year-old to understand what any console is or isn't unless you explain it to them. My concept of how video games worked when I was that age had nothing to do with coding and everything to do with fantasy.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Should have explained he knows what an Xbox One and PS4 are, at least the names, that they play new games and that those games look good. He plays the wii daily and didn't even know the Wii-U existed. But I'd imagine he thinks all of it's powered by fun or happiness rather than a GPU.

VGAddict918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By VGAddict918

Does anyone else think the Wii U's 2014 lineup looks excellent?

X

Bayonetta 2

Yarn Yoshi (Maybe)

FExSMT (Maybe)

Smash Bros

MK8

I think Iwata said there are more unannounced games for 2014.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wait until Super Smash Bros. then the Wii U will be fine.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me not really liking Mario or really any other first party games is to blame for Nintendo not selling WiiUs. It's me I did it.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

xbox one playstation 4

ok tho

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X

Bayonetta 2

Yarn Yoshi (Maybe)

FExSMT (Maybe)

Smash Bros

MK8

This is great if you think there is 12 months of game between all of them. With 2 maybes that is a lot of time to be maybe playing possible games.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwhom said:

@sooty said:

xbox one playstation 4

ok tho

No.

the 2 is a clear sign of a new device. The U is not. And that is the problem while so many people normally not interested in videogames do not even know it is a different device. People are still buying Wii U games just to find out that it is not for the Wii.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@ryanwhom said:

@sooty said:

xbox one playstation 4

ok tho

No.

the 2 is a clear sign of a new device. The U is not. And that is the problem while so many people normally not interested in videogames do not even know it is a different device. People are still buying Wii U games just to find out that it is not for the Wii.

You love bringing up these anecdotes without anything to back them up. We get it. You have a hate boner for Nintendo.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@gonmog said:

And NINTENDO are to blame.

Just fixing this up for you.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@ryanwhom said:

@sooty said:

xbox one playstation 4

ok tho

No.

You love bringing up these anecdotes without anything to back them up. We get it. You have a hate boner for Nintendo.

Just read forums like Neogaf for example go to a Gamestop and ask people if you do not believe me. It is the truth and I gain nothing if I would lie about it. Why do you think Nintendo tries to make this absolute clear in their Ads that this is a new console? Because people do not understand this....

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Everyone always says that Nintendo has great games, and they do, but it also seems pretty clear that their games have gone out of style. They were in style in a big way with the Wii for a part of its lifetime, but clearly not anymore. Nintendo needs to do something radical like they did with Wii Sports to grab people's attention and interest again. When selling hardware you need games that really excite large groups of people. No matter how great these existing games are they just aren't the type that make most people want to buy a system.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just pretty pitiful to see that the Wii U sold 220k in November. It's funny to consider that it performed worse than the Dreamcast did in November 2001.

And then there's Super Mario 3D World, the worst performing 3D Mario game in its opening month with Mario Galaxy selling around five times the amount it did.

It is sad.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Hailinel

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@ryanwhom said:

@sooty said:

xbox one playstation 4

ok tho

No.

Just read forums like Neogaf for example go to a Gamestop and ask people if you do not believe me. It is the truth and I gain nothing if I would lie about it. Why do you think Nintendo tries to make this absolute clear in their Ads that this is a new console? Because people do not understand this....

Whether you're telling the truth or not, it doesn't matter; you're such a screaming alarmist that you could cry wolf and no one would rescue you.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@ryanwhom said:

@sooty said:

xbox one playstation 4

ok tho

No.

Whether you're telling the truth or not, it doesn't matter; your such a screaming alarmist that you could cry wolf and no one would rescue you.

Yeah sure if you believe that. But again I was right about Mario not selling. About the Wii U being the next Dreamcast and so on. Maybe you do not like the stuff I am saying but it is the truth and I can not change that. Fact however is that the WIi U has been rejected by the market and the current Nintendo should better not try to release another home console. Maybe their position will change when they get rid of Iwata next year, but we will see who gets his position and what he can do.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help but feel Nintendo is relying too heavily on their controllers to innovate their games, and not enough on innovating their games through actual game play innovation.

It might hurt it them in the long run, it might not, that said I'll be picking up a WiiU when they drop a bit.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: You're making a lot of assumptions for someone with little apparent business sense. Actually, you seem to love this as much as you love anecdotes lacking in statistics. The Wii U's sales figures are not a sign that the company should abandon home consoles or that Iwata should will step down or be forced out. You are in no position to presume what Nintendo or any other video game company should do. You're just some guy without all of the facts that likes making inflammatory posts on the internet like so many other people.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@darji: You're making a lot of assumptions for someone with little apparent business sense. Actually, you seem to love this as much as you love anecdotes lacking in statistics. The Wii U's sales figures are not a sign that the company should abandon home consoles or that Iwata should will step down or be forced out. You are in no position to presume what Nintendo or any other video game company should do. You're just some guy without all of the facts that likes making inflammatory posts on the internet like so many other people.

I make predictions and have my own opinion noting else. I know the market and I understand Nintendo's current position. And yeah I like to talk about market situations not only about Nintendo. If you do not agree with me fine. If you want show me why then do so and If you do not want to it is also fine.

But please stop calling me Nintendo hater for everything negative I am saying about them. I have no attachment to Nintendo. I do not hate them. I am just analyzing their Market situation. I am not even talking about Nintendo games much, because I do not really care about these games. The quality of their games does not matter to me since I only predict the market nothing else. And so far I am spot on regarding Nintendo.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wii U was always going to be tough for Nintendo. For the casuals the Wii was a fad and the hardcore felt betrayed. Also, between now and when the Wii came out: Facebook got big and the ipad and iphone came out to give casuals a new outlet for their gaming. The touch screen on the controller isn't as attention grabbing as the Wii's motion controls were because everyone has see tablets and smartphones by now. Its graphics are a generation behind, while that won't really hurt Nintendo games because that's not what they are about, it will hurt with multiplatform games once current gen starts ramping up. Add to that the lack of third party support. Were there any big third party core games on the Wii that were successful other than Red Steel? And on top of all that, there is the confusion about whether it is an accessory for the Wii from casuals.

That being said, I hope the Wii U is successful. I have one and I want to play games on it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Hailinel

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

I make predictions and have my own opinion noting else. I know the market and I understand Nintendo's current position. And yeah I like to talk about market situations not only about Nintendo. If you do not agree with me fine. If you want show me why then do so and If you do not want to it is also fine.

But please stop calling me Nintendo hater for everything negative I am saying about them. I have no attachment to Nintendo. I do not hate them. I am just analyzing their Market situation. I am not even talking about Nintendo games much, because I do not really care about these games. The quality of their games does not matter to me since I only predict the market nothing else. And so far I am spot on regarding Nintendo.

I'm not the only one calling you that. If you'd get a clue and understand why people are so aggravated with you and your tone, maybe you'd change it. As it stands, you come off as abrasive, obnoxious, enthusiastic for Nintendo's supposedly impending demise, and you want to be heard from the mountaintops on this every chance you get.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vgaddict918: i think they need smash bros and mario kart and even bayoneta to come in the spring also there is donkey kong tropical freeze coming in feb 2014 so if they have 4 exclusive for the first half of the year plus some eshop games i will be great

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

I'm not the only one calling you that. If you'd get a clue and understand why people are so aggravated with you and your tone, maybe you'd change it. As it stands, you come off as abrasive, obnoxious, enthusiastic for Nintendo's supposedly impending demise, and you want to be heard from the mountaintops on this every chance you get.

How? I am getting satisfaction of the fact that when I am right and people always said "Yeah sure....." but that's it. And honestly why should I not. I called stupid because of my predictions and I am still right. So yeah maybe if you guys who are not happy of the currents facts would stop talking to me like I have no clue when infact I do it would certainly help.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By PolygonSlayer

I have a hard time picturing the Wii U doing particularly well at all.. I think it will even have a hard time becoming the new Gamecube, because at least the GC had a decent number of third party games for it. The Wii U has almost completely lost that already.
    It's sad, because I really do like my Wii U :/

kyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexgbro: I'm a massive smash bros fan. In all seriousness, my housemates and I play either melee or the original everyday. Its intense. We've come to blows before. At this point, none of us even care about the new smash bros, even after seeing the the new characters all we could produce was a resounding "meh". They burnt all their good with with brawl and all the extraneous bullshit they put in. And no one wants to play with wiimotes, and were not buying 3 more controllers that are more expensive then the game will be. I wish nintendo all the success in the world, but I think going 3rd party might be the best choice.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gonmog said:

In the first year of the Wii U, more games came out that i will remember. And play. Then the past gen first year.

X360

• Call of Duty 2
    • Condemned
    • GRAW
    • Oblivion
    • FF XI
    • Hitman: Blood Money
    • Saints Row
    • Just Cause
    • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    • Gears of War
    wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The base issue is Nintendo created a console to compete with the Ps3 and 360...a year prior to the release of the Ps4 and XBone. If this thing would have came out around 2009-2010 with 3DLand as a packed in launch title...it would be a whole new ball game.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So people say the name is the problem but what should it have been called then? The Super Wii? The Nintendo Revolution?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So people say the name is the problem but what should it have been called then? The Super Wii? The Nintendo Revolution?

Either a complete new name or call it Wii 2. The 2 in the name is an indication that it is a complete new system. Also it was quite a stupid move to present only the controller at their first reveal. People thought it is only a controller and never cared much after that anymore.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Dude, really? I'm shocked.

.........aaaaAAAND SO WAS MARIOOOOOOOOOOOO hHUEHEAHAWAHAHAA

ᕦ(° °)

Incredible insight.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vgaddict918 said:

X

Bayonetta 2

Yarn Yoshi (Maybe)

FExSMT (Maybe)

Smash Bros

MK8

Mortal Kombat 8?! But yeah, other than mario kart and smash, I can't think of anything of note for me next year sadly. If 3d world can't sell well enough to get more Wii U's in house, I doubt next year will be much better software wise than this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.