Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo Dpad Shutting Down - UPDATE

AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 3

Edited By AndrewG009

In a post today, it was revealed that Nintendo DPad, probably one of the best independently operated blogs covering Nintendo news will be shutting down. In what I can imagine is the final post, there was a definite feeling of fond farewell, but not without a bit of complaining:

"Most sites are doing what they do for hits, which in turn bring up your Alexa rank, and in turn collect more money from ad firms. It is easy to write or publish flame bait whether that be a sales age article, review scores, or trying to make 50 stories out of every sentence an employee at Nintendo says.

Not only are gaming blogs corrupt though, the actual industry is as well. When I first started posting stories, I subscribed to gaming magazines, bought all the biggest games to talk about, and did all these things without any ad money. I did this so the reader could benefit. Funny thing though, outside of WiiWare devs, which are great to talk to, none of the bigger companies will respond to you. This industry used to be about gamers, but now it is about money, and releasing tactical info about a game at exact dates to increase hype. And unless your a bigger site, they don’t hear your voice, or even respond."
    I have to say that I agree with a lot of the complaints, but for the full Monty, I suggest you check out the post itself here and get an eye full of it yourself. Simply said, this was a fine blog and it's a shame to see it go away. But the points raised shouldn't be lost upon the reader.

Good luck wherever you may land.

--Andrew

Update: The site has since gone down, however the comment thread on N4G has developed in a very interesting way.
    AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AndrewG009

In a post today, it was revealed that Nintendo DPad, probably one of the best independently operated blogs covering Nintendo news will be shutting down. In what I can imagine is the final post, there was a definite feeling of fond farewell, but not without a bit of complaining:

"Most sites are doing what they do for hits, which in turn bring up your Alexa rank, and in turn collect more money from ad firms. It is easy to write or publish flame bait whether that be a sales age article, review scores, or trying to make 50 stories out of every sentence an employee at Nintendo says.

Not only are gaming blogs corrupt though, the actual industry is as well. When I first started posting stories, I subscribed to gaming magazines, bought all the biggest games to talk about, and did all these things without any ad money. I did this so the reader could benefit. Funny thing though, outside of WiiWare devs, which are great to talk to, none of the bigger companies will respond to you. This industry used to be about gamers, but now it is about money, and releasing tactical info about a game at exact dates to increase hype. And unless your a bigger site, they don’t hear your voice, or even respond."
    I have to say that I agree with a lot of the complaints, but for the full Monty, I suggest you check out the post itself here and get an eye full of it yourself. Simply said, this was a fine blog and it's a shame to see it go away. But the points raised shouldn't be lost upon the reader.

Good luck wherever you may land.

--Andrew

Update: The site has since gone down, however the comment thread on N4G has developed in a very interesting way.
    DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DarkShaper

Thats a bummer, It always sucks when something like this happens.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c31f5ece8d2a
    deactivated-5c31f5ece8d2a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hey, the site's down now (unsurprisingly). Do you have access to the full transcript?

AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AndrewG009
    @Gryffin: Sadly I don't, I didn't expect them to bring the site down so quickly. However, one of the members of Dpad has commented on the N4G thread I've linked in the update.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By VWGTI

Never heard of them.

Also, lol wat?

This industry used to be about gamers, but now it is about money, and releasing tactical info about a game at exact dates to increase hype.

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingkorn69

I hang my head in shame at this post! Weither you are a fan boy of any system this is sad to see!  I love it when a true gamer has something to say and when they shut it down or can't afford to keep it up a piece of gaming dies with it!  I miss when games weren't run by huge companies but rather the people that bought them! Now days they tell you what to buy and like zombies we do, way to much!

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CandleJakk

I'd never heard of them either, but I could see that there were less spelling and grammatical errors in the segment of the post than the vast majority I've seen on Kotaku.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Turambar

Regardless of the quality of the blog (which I can't comment on having never frequented it), the quoted bits makes me have little to no sympathy at all.  Complaints against the focus on profits in blogs and the industry at large?  Welcome to the real world kiddo.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox
    @CandleJakk said:
    " I'd never heard of them either, but I could see that there were less spelling and grammatical errors in the segment of the post than the vast majority I've seen on Kotaku. "
    Oh god. Kotaku is the epitome of what they're talking about.
    AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AndrewG009

Yeah, I'm sorry guys. I wish I had gotten the entire post down.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CandleJakk
    @MrKlorox: It's the problem with making all your employees a 'something-editor', no proof-reads the posts; so the writer reads it how they wrote it, not noticing the mistakes. Even Joystiq get's their posts proof-read.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.