Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo Drops Dates For DSi XL, Metroid, Super Mario Galaxy 2, And More

• 57 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

Yo, Yoshi! 
    Yo, Yoshi! 
    Nintendo held an event in San Francisco today to show off some upcoming games and talk specifics about its releases for the first half of 2010. This means we've got new dates for games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M. It also means we've got some new announcements, both from Nintendo and some third-party publishers.

Of course, I also played a good chunk of that stuff, but the juiciest bits of my Wednesday will have to wait until 9PM (that's less than four hours away, in case you're not in our time zone). That's actually a good thing, because I need some time to collect my thoughts on one game in particular. Let's get these dates out of the way first, cool?

The bigger-screened DSi XL will launch in North America on March 28 at a price of $189.99. It'll be available in two colors at launch, burgundy and bronze.Additionally, it'll come preloaded with Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math, Photo Clock, Flipnote Studio, and the DSi's Opera-powered web browser. If you're looking for percentages and love numbers, Nintendo's stated that the XL's screens are 93 percent bigger than the DS Lite's viewing areas. That's a lot of percent.

- Super Mario Galaxy 2 will hit on May 23. In it, you play as Mario, who is some sort of plumber-man?

SPOILER: SHE'S STILL A LADY
    - Metroid: Other M, the game that Team Ninja is working on along with Nintendo, will come to North America on June 27. There are some bits in the press release that are worth reading, if you haven't already, and expect to hear more from me about how these bits work later tonight:

The game looks at the classic franchise from a new perspective: While much of the game is reminiscent of 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran's past. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote™ controller held sideways to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages.

- Nintendo will publish Square-Enix's Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies here in North America. It'll hit for the DS this Summer.

- In a separate announcement that was also confirmed at Nintendo's event, Capcom confirmed that Monster Hunter Tri will be released on April 20. The US version of the game will allow players to play online for free, and it will also have WiiSpeak support for four-player voice chat in-game. I have already made my lame 4/20 reference elsewhere, so let's just move on, shall we?

- Sin and Punishment 2 has been renamed to Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. It'll have online leaderboards that cover all regions and is scheduled for North American release on June 7.

- FlingSmash is a summer release that requires the Wii MotionPlus and combines "the precision of racket sports with the unpredictable fun of pinball." I'll have more to say about this one later.

- Yo, do you like Picross? I know I do. I'll dig out my copy of Mario's Picross if you want me to prove it. That's sort of beside the point, anyway. Nintendo is bringing Picross 3D to the DS on May 3. It'll have over 350 puzzles, with more coming via online download after release.

Not Pictured: Sarah, Daddy, Mommy, Gramps, Auntie.
    - Would you read a book on your DS? How about 100 books? What if I told you that they were all "classics?" 100 Classic Books is coming to the DS and will contain works by William "The Knife" Shakespeare, Jules Verne, Jane Austen, and Mark Twain, among others. While I can't see myself reading a book on my DS screen (regardless of its size), I... well, now that I think about it, I barely see myself reading a book when it's, you know, a book. But this will be $19.99 and blasts off on June 14.

- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is due on both Wii and DS on May 18. The Wii version will contain two-player co-op and an emulated Super Nintendo version of the original Prince of Persia.

- Disney Guilty Party is billed as a "mystery party game" due in the second half of 2010. Wideload Games is working on it. Hey, wait, I thought all this stuff was supposed to be first half. Cheaters!

- Ghostwire: Link to the Paranormal is out on DSi this October. It's an "augmented reality" game that uses the DSi camera, so if you haven't upgraded to a DSi or DSi XL by then, well... you're boned. Majesco is publishing it.

The company also took the time to lay out some of its release plans for WiiWare and DSiWare. Everyone knows that the DSi's shop music is far superior to the Wii's shop music, by the way.

I can feel myself throwing a controller already.
    WiiWare:

DSiWare

OK, that just about does it for the newsy sort of stuff from today's event. I'll get writing, and let's reconvene in a few hours, when I'll have some stories to tell and trailers to show.    
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff

Yo, Yoshi! 
    Yo, Yoshi! 
    Nintendo held an event in San Francisco today to show off some upcoming games and talk specifics about its releases for the first half of 2010. This means we've got new dates for games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M. It also means we've got some new announcements, both from Nintendo and some third-party publishers.

Of course, I also played a good chunk of that stuff, but the juiciest bits of my Wednesday will have to wait until 9PM (that's less than four hours away, in case you're not in our time zone). That's actually a good thing, because I need some time to collect my thoughts on one game in particular. Let's get these dates out of the way first, cool?

The bigger-screened DSi XL will launch in North America on March 28 at a price of $189.99. It'll be available in two colors at launch, burgundy and bronze.Additionally, it'll come preloaded with Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math, Photo Clock, Flipnote Studio, and the DSi's Opera-powered web browser. If you're looking for percentages and love numbers, Nintendo's stated that the XL's screens are 93 percent bigger than the DS Lite's viewing areas. That's a lot of percent.

- Super Mario Galaxy 2 will hit on May 23. In it, you play as Mario, who is some sort of plumber-man?

- Metroid: Other M, the game that Team Ninja is working on along with Nintendo, will come to North America on June 27. There are some bits in the press release that are worth reading, if you haven't already, and expect to hear more from me about how these bits work later tonight:

The game looks at the classic franchise from a new perspective: While much of the game is reminiscent of 2-D side-scrollers, players can switch the perspective into 3-D at any time as they explore the twisting passages of a derelict space station and delve deep into a cinematic, never-before-told story of bounty hunter Samus Aran's past. This new approach uses a new control scheme in which players use the Wii Remote™ controller held sideways to battle enemies and navigate the expansive, gorgeous environments in classic Metroid fashion, then aim at the screen with the Wii Remote pointer to blast foes in first-person and hunt the world for clues and hidden passages.

- Nintendo will publish Square-Enix's Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies here in North America. It'll hit for the DS this Summer.

- In a separate announcement that was also confirmed at Nintendo's event, Capcom confirmed that Monster Hunter Tri will be released on April 20. The US version of the game will allow players to play online for free, and it will also have WiiSpeak support for four-player voice chat in-game. I have already made my lame 4/20 reference elsewhere, so let's just move on, shall we?

- Sin and Punishment 2 has been renamed to Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. It'll have online leaderboards that cover all regions and is scheduled for North American release on June 7.

- FlingSmash is a summer release that requires the Wii MotionPlus and combines "the precision of racket sports with the unpredictable fun of pinball." I'll have more to say about this one later.

- Yo, do you like Picross? I know I do. I'll dig out my copy of Mario's Picross if you want me to prove it. That's sort of beside the point, anyway. Nintendo is bringing Picross 3D to the DS on May 3. It'll have over 350 puzzles, with more coming via online download after release.

- Would you read a book on your DS? How about 100 books? What if I told you that they were all "classics?" 100 Classic Books is coming to the DS and will contain works by William "The Knife" Shakespeare, Jules Verne, Jane Austen, and Mark Twain, among others. While I can't see myself reading a book on my DS screen (regardless of its size), I... well, now that I think about it, I barely see myself reading a book when it's, you know, a book. But this will be $19.99 and blasts off on June 14.

- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is due on both Wii and DS on May 18. The Wii version will contain two-player co-op and an emulated Super Nintendo version of the original Prince of Persia.

- Disney Guilty Party is billed as a "mystery party game" due in the second half of 2010. Wideload Games is working on it. Hey, wait, I thought all this stuff was supposed to be first half. Cheaters!

- Ghostwire: Link to the Paranormal is out on DSi this October. It's an "augmented reality" game that uses the DSi camera, so if you haven't upgraded to a DSi or DSi XL by then, well... you're boned. Majesco is publishing it.

The company also took the time to lay out some of its release plans for WiiWare and DSiWare. Everyone knows that the DSi's shop music is far superior to the Wii's shop music, by the way.

WiiWare:

DSiWare

OK, that just about does it for the newsy sort of stuff from today's event. I'll get writing, and let's reconvene in a few hours, when I'll have some stories to tell and trailers to show.    
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By animateria

The DSi XL costs almost as much as a Wii!

I guess luxury comes at a cost.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Goodmorning then.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By beargirl1

god damn

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By ArcBorealis

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor day 1 for me.

Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Bigbombomb

Can't wait for Super Mario Galaxy 2.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By MeatSim

Alright I will be back in a couple hours to read and watch those stories and trailers then.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hot_Karl

I'm gonna just throw my less than 6 month old DSi in the trash now and buy a DSi XL, YEAH!

Just kidding.

This seems to be an amazing summer for Wii owners. I wonder what Nintendo has in store for the holidays...hopefully they didn't blow their wad too early.

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Nemesis

Welcome back, Nintendo!

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By agentboolen

Wow Super Mario Galaxy 2 is coming much earlier then I expected, I was thinking Novemberish but May sounds good to me.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

Can't wait to get my Mega 10, and on the first of the month too, like a Bone thug waiting on a mf cheque.  

This shit is serious, Nintendo really are going to bleed me dry this summer. These are not the type of games a fan is able to pass up so easily, and to make matters worse their all bunched up together. This is so unlike Nintendo, releasing major Mario one month, and then a major Metroid the next.  

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

Someone on another thread mentioned that Nintendo will still push back SMG2 and Metroid to the fall. I've found that when Nintendo puts out a specific date it sticks to it.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Skytylz

if the dsi goes down when the xl comes out i might get the dsi but i think the xl looks too big.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Yzzerdd

Retro is the only one that should be allowed to put stories in Metroid games.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Dalai

I can't believe Mega Man 10 is out next week already. Time to put my angry face on. 

And besides my usual excitement for Mario and Metroid, Cave Story, and Sin & Punishment 2 are on my wishlist. 

On a side note, I can't say Sin & Punishment: Star Successor without shooting saliva spittle on my screen.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cornman89
    Goddamn, Nintendo

Talk about a comeback tour.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By apathylad

I'm hoping that the new Zelda game, the Golden Sun DS game, and other titles will be shown off at E3.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By bjorno

what about GOLDEN SUN 3 thats the only nintendy game i care about other than fukken pokeman.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By erinfizz

I look forward to more info on FlingSmash. Sounds like the kind of weird I enjoy. 

SMG2 in May! Woo!

Wow, eta, CAVE STORY HAS A RELEASE DATE!!?? I am beside myself. I don't even care about the game, I was just tired of moving it ahead every three months for a year and a half.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By EthanielRain

I didn't like the 2D-to-3D aspect of Super Paper Mario, I hope it's implemented (a lot) better in the new Metroid.  SMG2 will almost surely be amazing.

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Zaapp1

Still waiting for Super Jumpman Galaxy...

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zaapp1

Best Shakespeare joke ever...

MeatXbeatsXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By MeatXbeatsXman

Pretty pumped for SMG2, hopefully there will be a trailer for Zelda or something, or perhaps more details on Golden Sun.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ajamafalous

Caption on the third pic is great.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By Skald

WHERE IS KIRBY YOU BASTARDS?!

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By Black_Rose

Oh fuck yes, can't wait for Metroid, 

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kbm600

Where the fuck is Golden Sun.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Codeacious

Huh, that's a good roll of releases. Add Monster Hunter Tri, and Wii owners will have at least a few games to look forward to.  Now, if only they could announce the Golden Sun release date, everything would be perfect.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fripplebubby

Just throwing this out there, 100 Classic Books has been out for over a year in Europe. It's worth the $20 if you don't have a Kindle, Blackberry, ipod, or PC in which you can read all of these books for free (classics=no license necessary)  

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jeff
    @Claude said:
    " Someone on another thread mentioned that Nintendo will still push back SMG2 and Metroid to the fall. I've found that when Nintendo puts out a specific date it sticks to it. "

I agree.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

It isn't fair to use articles like this to push your pro-DSi shop music agenda while Ryan is in another country!

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By august

I'd just like to throw out that Team Ninja isn't exactly who I think of when I think "strong female protagonist."

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shirogane

Burgandy and bronze? URGH. 
    I want the damn crimson color back damnit.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dan_CiTi

lol, Cave Story is never coming out. 

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Aska

The new Mario Galaxy 2 trailer made me cream my pants.

StarFry64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By StarFry64

WHO's buying these updated DS'?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Afroman269

Where is my Golden Sun?!

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Synthballs

Wish they'd put something good on DSiWare.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Milkman

So, the press conference was pretty much a bunch of dates. Ah well, looking forward to Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M. As for the rest of the stuff, eh...Maybe this 9 o'clock preview explosion will change my mind. And I doubt I'll get a DSi XL, considering I still don't have a normal sized DSi.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By thatfrood

Cave Story!
    YAAAAY!

and that 100 books thing sounds sort of interesting.
    But, yeah. I don't want to read things on a ds screen.
    I barely want to read things on a kindle/nook/ipad.

TheYear20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheYear20XX

Where you been Nintendo? I haven't been this excited about the Wii in...ever.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DystopiaX

Metroid Other M sounds good. that and super mario galaxy may be the first 2 wii games i've bought in a long time.

Bghattas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bghattas

WTF? Cave Story hasn't been released yet?

Wow, it won't be a dead summer on the Wii with SMG2 and The Other M! I'll be returning to Wii gaming for those two.

devosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By devosion

Sin & Punishment, Metroid Other M, Picross 3D, Mega Man 10, and Dragon Quest 9. Mmmmmm, that is some awesome gaming goodness.

DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DRE7777

Not owning a Wii I always think about getting one when hearing about the new Nintendo games like Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M, but then get super depressed when Jeff reminds me of the stupid Wii controls by talking about Metroid Other M's control scheme, UUGGHHH, I hate motion controls.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wow, these dates are actually rather close to what I've found out. (To save the time, I somehow got access to a pre-order list from GameStop. It lists some of these games with very close dates, to my memory. At least Metriod: Other M.)

kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kuwabaratheman
    @VinceNotVance said:
    "  I'm gonna just throw my less than 6 month old DSi in the trash now and buy a DSi XL, YEAH!  Just kidding.  This seems to be an amazing summer for Wii owners. I wonder what Nintendo has in store for the holidays...hopefully they didn't blow their wad too early. "
    Well, every indication is that Zelda Wii is being prepped as the big holiday game this year. Now, that could change (we all know how much Twilight Princess got delayed), but that seems to be the intention. As far as other first party stuff goes, Xenoblade is out sometime this Spring in Japan, so I could see that hitting in the US in late Summer or early Fall, and The Last Story will probably be out by the end of the year (although I could see the US version not coming out until 2011). I figure they also have to have at least one surprise up their sleeves (at this time last year, we didn't even know about New Super Mario Bros. Wii's existence). I think there's a good chance the second half will see Zelda, Xenoblade, The Last Story and at least one casual title (probably something using the Vitality Sensor). That's a pretty strong first party lineup, I think.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#48  Edited By Geno

Whoa, Mario Galaxy 2 is coming out much earlier than anticipated.
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Aegon

Photo of Shakespeare made me realize that his forehead seems to have a lightning shaped mark...hmmmm...

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By Willy105
    @StarFry64 said:
    " WHO's buying these updated DS'? "
    Everybody. These are first DSes for most of the buyers, and a lot of them buy more than one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.