Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo Ending its Club Nintendo Rewards Program

• 75 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    Y'all thought I was kidding about those greeting cards, didn't you?
    Y'all thought I was kidding about those greeting cards, didn't you?

If you've been a member of Nintendo's Club Nintendo rewards program, you may be disappointed to learn that Nintendo has announced the eventual end of this program. Then again, if you've been a member of Club Nintendo for any length of time, disappointment is probably a familiar feeling.

According to the announcement, North American players will have until March 31st to sign up for the service. Any product released as of today, January 20th, won't be available to register on the website. "Elite status" members have until May 1st to pick up an elite status gift, while all other game/merch redemptions must take place prior to June 30th. After that, any remaining coins on your account will be deleted.

The shutdown applies to all regions, though the dates are slightly different elsewhere. European and Australian Nintendo releases will stop including registration cards as of April 1st--though the New 3DS and 3DS XL models, which release on February 13th, reportedly won't include them either--and points must be redeemed by September 30th. Japan's version of the service will also end on September 30th.

In theory, Club Nintendo was designed to gift neat tchotchkes and free games to loyal Nintendo product purchasers. Members could input pincodes from various Nintendo products into a website, fill out some surveys, and redeem the earned coins for whatever stuff Nintendo had up at a given time. It's existed in Japan since 2003, and eventually came to Europe in 2007, and North America in 2008.

The problem was, apart from things like Virtual Console games and the occasional Mario hat, the American version of the service rarely had much in the way of worthwhile junk to redeem. As of right now, you can redeem points for a game called Grill-Off With Ultra Hand, a Super Smash Bros. poster set, Mario & Luigi or Nintendogs greeting card sets, and a bunch of Virtual Console games (including some bonafide classics like Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda). That list will refresh in February, if none of that sounds terribly appealing. Meanwhile, here's what's available in the Japanese store. I don't know how Europe's store typically was, but it always seemed like Japan got the better rewards.

Nintendo reportedly plans on replacing the service with something new, but didn't give any indication as to what that service might be, or when it might launch. Hopefully it will offer more in the way of things people might actually want. You know, like hats. Way, way more hats.

Editor's note: This article originally stated that digital purchases do not automatically sync to your Club Nintendo account, which is incorrect. The article has been updated to remove this bit.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I got some posters that I was fine with. Was it a great program, no, but it wasn't awful.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Europe's catalogue has always kind of sucked too. They should just convert any remaining stars into eShop credit.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only got 300 coins and unless I'm looking at the selection wrong, there isn't anything I want to use them on.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I got a handful of games over the past couple years or so. I have no complaints on their offerings. I mostly just think the way the entire thing was designed was kind of clunky and outdated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If it's being replaced by an expanded Digital Deluxe Program I'm more than fine with that. It was great getting $5 back for each big game purchase on the Wii, I saved $5 on more content that I bought and in some cases, got some indie stuff for 'free'.

It would make sense too, as both DDP and Club Nintendo are ending around the same time.

darro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The only thing the Europe or more specifically in my case the UK one ever had that I wanted that I eventually got was the Super Mario Galaxy Platinum soundtrack. Other than that it was mostly junk, which is a damn shame because if they did soundtracks for other Nintendo games like say Zelda, Donkey Kong Country: TF etc, I would have used it more.

samuraigarrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex Just a suggestion: you might want to update the article with info about Nintendo adding more digital games and physical rewards in February, just so readers won't go spending their coins on the junk that's currently on offer right now (as stated on this page: http://club2.nintendo.com/program-notice/). Hopefully, Nintendo will offer better junk next month to make saving your coins until then worth it.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

i mean, who wouldn't want a game called grill off with ultra hand

Benmo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Benmo316

Will Coinstar take me unused Nintendo coins?

mylescox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Today I learned just what the hell a tchotchke is.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

personz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By personz

on the plus side they have some good free virtual console games up for coins this month. I already have super metroid but I suppose a copy of Mario Bros 2 USA isn't bad at all.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mmm open faced nintendo club sand wedge...

helveticahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over the past year or so I've procured Super Mario World, Link to the Past, and Super Metroid from this service. Club Nintendo was a-ok.

aretak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Europe had it way before 2007, but it was called Nintendo VIP 24:7 back in the GameCube days. I guess 2007 is when it was rebranded to Club Nintendo, although we continued to collect 'stars' rather than coins. The only thing of value I ever got from it was a copy of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA about ten years ago. I still have that... and still haven't played it.

GeneralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm cool thanks, I'll just let them expire

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I got Legend of Zelda collection for the Gamecube and a SNES classic controller for the Wii from Club Nintendo UK/Ireland. Can't complain its more than Microsoft or Sony have ever given me.

artraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the best gift out of the american program and most practical the star canvas bag I use everyday to bring work clothes and other items so I am thankful it existed .https://club2.nintendo.com/rewards/messenger_bag_3.jpg

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Ben_H

I got a t-shirt (that I actually wear quite a bit. It's got a bunch of 8bit Mario sprites on it), a couple games, and a calendar out of Club Nintendo, so I can't complain. All for just buying stuff I would have bought anyway.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only redeemed 2 things off that program, a Mario cap shaped DS carry case and a giant Yoshi backpack. The program was definitely flawed as the points would expire over time and if you could just use money where the points helped discount the item then perhaps it could've turned into a full fledged store.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Japan is still able to buy the Super Mario Galaxy 2 soundtrack from Club Nintendo. Like 3 years later! The North American Club Nintendo let 90% of their physical rewards go out of stock like a year ago. And yeah, worth pointing out that most of those rewards were stupid greeting cards and washcloths.

Like, how hard is it really to just offer similar stuff to what is offered in Japan? Is that rocket science? Sure, there appears to be some kind of Famicom-styled tchotchke, so I get that transferring that to North America would require actual effort since they'd probably have to redesign it to look like an NES. But how fucking hard is it to just translate the text on the CD case for a Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack and put that on North American Club Nintendo? WHY COULD THEY NEVER SOLVE THAT GORDIAN KNOT.

Whatever, I can pirate the soundtrack if I really wanted, but it's the principle. At times it seems like Nintendo of America is run by complete idiots. What kind of ship are you running, Reggie?

TheFeenMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Godspeed, Club Nintendo. You weren't great, but you existed for a long time. Neither Sony nor Microsoft had a reward program that was worth anything.

Hopefully your successor ends up decent.

AlmightyBoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best thing they ever gave away was the Zelda collection thing for Gamecube with Zelda 1, 2, OoT, and Majora's Mask. All I needed was I think 2 codes from Gamecube games and I got it for free. Then I let my cousin borrow it and I never saw it again :(

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quite liked Club Nintendo a few years ago, I always used to redeem point cards to buy games on the Wii. I also got the Super Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time soundtracks, although Zelda had a ton of 20 seconds tracks which were bad. I hope they replace the service with something cool, it was a nice idea which could be expanded into something different and better. I've got 1700 stars left which so I can buy a... plastic pikmin fruit keyring.

BobaTrainwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I currently have 2060 coins, so I'm hoping for plenty of VC titles to become available next month. I loved the service, though would often get mad when I'd read about what Nintendo of Japan was offering to their local Club Nintendo customers.

The 3DS Game Case and the 3DS microfiber socks were the standout items for me. I have two socks, and wish I had snagged more of them. My 3DS XL and Vita 1000 fit perfectly in them. I also was able buy that Luigi's Mansion figurine last year, which is a very neat item that will forever sit in its packaging.

LobsterMobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear they're replacing it with New! eShop LLX 2gether ReMix.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dan_CiTi

It's cool for the CDs, games, other cool items. Too bad the USA's was never that great. I still have 1000 or so coins and there isn't much to use them on.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a cool idea, but the execution was pitiful. The rewards were rarely good at all, and not only that, they NEVER restocked.

If they're going to try again with a new service, they better fucking support it.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By petethepanda

Aw man, I was hoping my New 3DS would push me into Platinum. Hopefully they'll be registrable on whatever reward program they start later on.

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32  Edited By JamesJeux007

Europe's selection was shit as well. I don't know if I missed anything but we never got any VC games for this. But on the other hand, at least I got SOMETHING. I mean, I got a DS/3DS cartridge case and a Pikmin keyring. Not great but hey, free stuff !

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There aren't many super appealing things in the Stars catalogue here, so I'll probably just get a bunch of Wii points cards and grab some virtual console stuff. Unfortunately that will mean having to buy yet another controller as apparently the Wii U pro controller doesn't work with the Wii U in Wii mode. Bummer.

Looking forward to trying out Flipnote Studio 3D though. It looks like those currently signed up to Club Nintendo in North America will receive it for free in February, while those in Europe will get it for free when signing up for the new loyalty programme during the "launch period".

Avatar image for superfunhappygun
    superfunhappygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got Soul Calibur II on the GameCube and a friend of mine got the Zelda collection on GameCube thanks to the European rewards program. That was kind of it though. I agree that most of it was some useless junk that seemed like leftovers from a press event.

stingwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hopefully it'll be something that ties into your existing Nintendo account, instead of a separate website and login that couldn't just figure out which digital products you'd bought on its own."

As far as I know, you can link your NNID with Club Nintendo and surveys for digital games automatically show up there, already. Granted, it is still a separate site/login, but it's something.

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The European store had some neat stuff like Mario Kart trophies, soundtracks, Game&Watcheseses and the like. I wonder what they'll come up with. Maybe they'll just transform that NNID Premium promotion into a permanent thing now.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I won't be getting those Hanafuda cards. Ah well.

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Valhallen

I logged on and I don't seem to have my 730 coins anymore. Thanks Nintendo

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Soooooooo...like...they couldn't just offer Super Metroid codes for WiiU or what? I mean "yay" free stuff and whatnot, but c'mon.

NickFerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only joined Club Nintendo was because I saw they had a Game & Watch: Ball as one of the reward tiers, but they stopped offering it once I had enough coins saved up. What a waste of time. You had to fill out the same dumb survey over and over again to get the coins.

sublime90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i got this sweet Pikmin bag with nintendo points. maybe i have enough to get a digital game.

unclejohn0525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta say, they've offered a few preeeeeetty fucking cool things over the years. A goddamn Game & Watch handheld in package? Yes, please.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I still have some coins. I got Majora's Mask and A Link To The Past with it, so it was not that bad...

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Club Nintendo for North America was never what Nintendo fans wanted (something that can be applied to all of Nintendo). But it still had some neat things available from time to time. I cherish the Pikmin tote bag and Hanafuda cards I got essentially for free. Also, I got a number of Virtual Console and eShop games that I didn't have the mind to purchase.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the donkey kong poster is framed in my room. ive had worse free stuff. RIP

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried to log-in earlier and got stuck in loading limbo. Program must've been more popular than I thought.

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#47  Edited By Eribuster

I logged on and I don't seem to have my 730 coins anymore. Thanks Nintendo

Alas, they expire. Nintendo only desires engaged consumers for their soon-to-be-closed club.

Avatar image for bigprimenumbers
    BigPrimeNumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's too bad; it was a good (not great) rewards program. Now the Deluxe Digital promotion, that was a hell of a rewards program!

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got some neat stuff out of the program. Sad to see it go, I guess. It wasn't amazing, but it was okay. Curious as to what will replace it.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BatmanBatman

@batmanbatman said:

I think I still have some coins. I got Majora's Mask and A Link To The Past with it, so it was not that bad...

I just logged in and discovered I lost 270 coins because they're "expired". Ok, I take that back a little bit. That was kinda crummy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.