Nintendo Entertainment System - Suggestions?

Posted by MormonWarrior (2593 posts) -

Hey all. I think I might get a NES again for keeps. When I was little we had one, but it broke and my parents ended up just throwing it away and giving our games away. I don't want a complete collection necessarily, just the most significant and fun-to-play games. I'm very familiar with a lot of them but...I need some suggestions.

Here's what I've got so far:

Should I still get Final Fantasy? And out of the four Dragon Warrior games, which is the best? Any other RPGs that hold up? I don't necessarily want Metroid because I have it in other forms already and I don't love it anyway, though I love the other games in the series.

#1 Posted by MormonWarrior (2593 posts) -

Hey all. I think I might get a NES again for keeps. When I was little we had one, but it broke and my parents ended up just throwing it away and giving our games away. I don't want a complete collection necessarily, just the most significant and fun-to-play games. I'm very familiar with a lot of them but...I need some suggestions.

Here's what I've got so far:

Should I still get Final Fantasy? And out of the four Dragon Warrior games, which is the best? Any other RPGs that hold up? I don't necessarily want Metroid because I have it in other forms already and I don't love it anyway, though I love the other games in the series.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11031 posts) -

I think Pro Wrestling is the best NES game. It has fake Ric Flair in it.

Seriously. Aside from Super Mario Bros., it's the NES game I've gotten the most fun out of.

#3 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

The first FF is ok. It's pretty basic of course, but it's super challenging. Light on story though.

#4 Posted by TopSteer (657 posts) -
#5 Posted by Mocharaid (1 posts) -

I recommend Ghosts and Goblins and Zombies Ate My Neighbours. Two of my favourite retro games!

#6 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -

Déjà Vu: A Nightmare Comes True was a game I enjoyed on the NES when I was little. There are moments you might get a little freaked out (at least I remembered I did, when I was just a kid), but it's a pretty good hard-boiled detective game.

#7 Posted by Neeshka (118 posts) -

also : kickle cubicle, wizards and warriors, metroid, little nemo, snake rattle and roll, maniac mansion, gradius. kid icarus, elite

TMNT1 is extremely frustrating in parts - it's good for 1)nostalgia 2) music; otherwise the difficulty tuning is just awful. TMNT2/3 are much better imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.