Nintendo Has a Mario Game In the Works for the Wii U, Will Show it at E3 [UPDATED]

• 101 results
#51 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@UltorOscariot said:

Given the absurd number of copies New Super Mario Bros Wii sold, we may not see a 3D Mario title for a couple years.

Super Mario 3D Land seems to suggest that they're still willing to go for it.

#52 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@TehFlan said:

@Suicrat said:

HOLY SHIT THERE'S A NEW PIKMIN GAME COMING OUT?!!!! WHY ISN'T THAT MAKING HEADLINES?!!!!

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BE SARCASTIC AND WITTY ABOUT IT'S EXISTENCE, IT'S JUST REALLY AWESOME NEWS!!!

Also, I think it did make headlines when Miyamoto mentioned it one or two E3's ago.

#53 Posted by RecSpec (3761 posts) -

Seriously though, when the hell is Animal Crossing 3DS coming out?

#54 Posted by Smokey_Earhole (473 posts) -
@scarace360

@Animasta said:

wait I thought it was tanooki mario, not bear mario

WTF is a bear mario?

Urban Dictionary that shit I dare you. Although I must say the thought of a "bear" Mario is equally cracking me up as horrifying me.
#55 Posted by vermin_king (11 posts) -

will the standard fetid heap of broken shovel ware be available at launch? i only ask because of the preverse pleasure i get from watching jeff and crew play and sigh at the same time.

#56 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Wonder if this is going to be like Zelda was with the 3ds year long launch window lineup.

#57 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@evanbower said:

@UltorOscariot said:

Given the absurd number of copies New Super Mario Bros Wii sold, we may not see a 3D Mario title for a couple years.

Super Mario 3D Land seems to suggest that they're still willing to go for it.

It still played like a 2D Mario game though, levels were completely linear. I'd much rather see a new Mario game in a similar style to 64 or Galaxy 1.

#58 Posted by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

@unholyone123 said:

Wow, why isn't Alex the news guy? This is more informative than 3/4 of the crap Patrick puts up.

You realize Patrick writes articles and Alex reports news, right?

Because it would be pretty sad if you were talking out of your ass without realizing it... oh wait.

#59 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3171 posts) -

Damn, I can only hope their imaginations run as wild with the Galaxy series. Especially now with the full HD and all that other modern tech behind it...should be a wonderful game.

#60 Posted by Jolt92 (1542 posts) -

2D Mario with hand drawn sprites and backgrounds. I want it, give it to me.

#61 Posted by ThePilgrums (423 posts) -
#62 Posted by FulgoreSenpai (71 posts) -

I wish i cared more but by now, naw. I'm sure it'll be very similar to other mario games, get great reviews, it will defenitely be fun and maybe even be some peoples game of the year. Then it'll slowly go by the wayside, I might play through it in a day or 2 and never touch it again and it'll be one of the few reasons to get a wii u.

I love playing the Mario games but why are people clamoring for a new one? Its getting to the same point that MW and Assassins Creed are with me, they follow a fun formula but I just don't care much anymore.

#63 Posted by ptys (1881 posts) -

I hope they do a bit of both. The Galaxy thing doesn't seem to immerse the player in the world as much as Mario 64 did so hoping for a return to the old style. Bet it's going to look awesome and make everyone (including me) want a Wii U. Damn those bastards, not buying one though.

#64 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

If there is one thing Nintendo can do right is a first party game and Mario for their next system will do just that.

#65 Posted by unholyone123 (198 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@unholyone123 said:

Wow, why isn't Alex the news guy? This is more informative than 3/4 of the crap Patrick puts up.

Because it would be pretty sad if you were talking out of your ass without realizing it... oh wait.

They hired him on earlier as a journalist that was supposed to cover mostly news. If Alex reports the news, then Patrick is just dead weight. I'm also sick of him trying to talk over everybody on the podcast, especially when he realizes people don't agree with him. "Worth Reading", noooooo...that's not pretentious at all is it? Alex, Ryan, Brad, and Jeff also write articles...dead weight.

#66 Posted by SYMPHONICOLOSSUS (39 posts) -

No shit.

#67 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

After Rayman Origins, I don't know if I need another 2D Mario game.

I'll take it, of course, but I don't know if I need it.

#68 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

@ThePilgrums said:

@Suicrat said:

HOLY SHIT THERE'S A NEW PIKMIN GAME COMING OUT?!!!! WHY ISN'T THAT MAKING HEADLINES?!!!!

Because it was confirmed at a roundtable discussion during E3 2009, and has been mentioned in some manner every E3 since. What rock have you been hiding under?

The kind of rock that forces me to assume that if a game gets announced three years ago, and there's not even a single piece of concept art released in the intervening time frame that it wasn't much more than a fan-placating announcement in the first place.

#69 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Slow week in news I gess.

#70 Posted by liako21 (519 posts) -

I really want a super mario 3 3ds remake. damn that would be legit.

#71 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Mystyr_E

@Lunar_Aura:

colors of the world! spice up your life!

Every boy and every girl! Spice up your life!
#72 Posted by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

I'd say no big deal that's what Nintendoes, but since the last two full-fledged Mario games were Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (i.e. two of the very best games in existence) this news has me double stoked for the WiiU, crappy name and all.

#73 Posted by spaghettitime (32 posts) -

This is all for naught.

Where is my multiplayer Donkey Kong. I want multiplayer Donkey Kong.

#74 Posted by tactis (352 posts) -

Ten bucks this will be a launch window game not a launch game

#75 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

I would also totally accept a new "co-op" New Super Mario Bros. game if it let me play with random assholes over the internet, I could see that being great.

#76 Edited by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

@unholyone123 said:

@Xeirus said:

@unholyone123 said:

They hired him on earlier as a journalist that was supposed to cover mostly news. If Alex reports the news, then Patrick is just dead weight. I'm also sick of him trying to talk over everybody on the podcast, especially when he realizes people don't agree with him. "Worth Reading", noooooo...that's not pretentious at all is it? Alex, Ryan, Brad, and Jeff also write articles...dead weight.

They both write, text is a funny thing, you can change it.

If you couldn't tell from the last couple of weeks/months that's been changing, Patrick has been doing way more articles and less news.

But honestly, who cares dude, if you don't like it then go to whatever site you feel is better at reporting news. If all you can do is talk trash about Patrick on a piece he isn't even on then you're pathetic.

I'm done with this conversation, but seriously, you need a life man. If you have a problem msg Patrick directly and stop talking trash out here.

#77 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

I don't remember the demo from last year either, but I'll probably end up buying this whenever it comes out.

#78 Posted by 49th (2687 posts) -

It will probably be great. I will probably not play it this time. Such is life.

#79 Posted by MocBucket62 (1146 posts) -

I would like to try out this game, but I probably won't get a Wii U.

#80 Posted by Dalai (6991 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
@Mystyr_E

@Lunar_Aura:

People of the world! Spice up your life!
#81 Posted by computerandy9 (30 posts) -

totaly needed more mario...

#82 Posted by blueinferno (442 posts) -

Okay if there's a Pikmin game coming to Wii U, Goddammit I'm gonna have to buy one.

#83 Posted by Mystyr_E (1189 posts) -

@Dalai said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:
@Mystyr_E

@Lunar_Aura:

People of the world! Spice up your life!

aaaaaaaahhhhhh slam it to the left!

#84 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

Higgeldy-piggeldy!

I love you Alex :)

#85 Posted by confideration (396 posts) -

It's going to be super depressing to watch the E3 coverage and all the manufactured excitement over the Wii U. Isn't it time we stopped giving Nintendo a pass?

#86 Posted by selbie (1841 posts) -

That pic looks way too close to Ryan for my liking.

#87 Posted by Levio (1783 posts) -

I got NSMBW for free a year ago and still haven't played it. The gameplay just looks so stale...

#88 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@evanbower said:

@TehFlan said:

@Suicrat said:

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BE SARCASTIC AND WITTY ABOUT IT'S EXISTENCE, IT'S JUST REALLY AWESOME NEWS!!!

Also, I think it did make headlines when Miyamoto mentioned it one or two E3's ago.

Yeah, in all seriousness I am pretty sure this isn't the first I've heard of this new Pikmin game.
#89 Posted by AvianFlame (19 posts) -

I'm strongly hoping for a true sequel to Super Mario World. New Super Mario Bros felt too simplified, even for a Mario game.

#90 Posted by LandGrinch (24 posts) -

Oh, the Electronic Entertainment Exposition Expo!

#91 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (543 posts) -

Jesus Christ, cannot unsee. God-fucking-damn you, Alex.

#92 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

ohh the huge manatee.

#93 Posted by Pepsiman (2458 posts) -

@TehFlan said:

@evanbower said:

@TehFlan said:

@Suicrat said:

Yeah, in all seriousness I am pretty sure this isn't the first I've heard of this new Pikmin game.

It's been a known factor for at least the last two or three E3s when it was originally still pegged as being a Wii project, but that doesn't make me want it any less. I feel like Miyamoto's toyed with my feelings for too long about that game's prospects!

#94 Edited by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -

Am I a bad person for having seen that picture of Mario before?

#95 Posted by unholyone123 (198 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

They both write, text is a funny thing, you can change it.

If you couldn't tell from the last couple of weeks/months that's been changing, Patrick has been doing way more articles and less news.

But honestly, who cares dude, if you don't like it then go to whatever site you feel is better at reporting news. If all you can do is talk trash about Patrick on a piece he isn't even on then you're pathetic.

I'm done with this conversation, but seriously, you need a life man. If you have a problem msg Patrick directly and stop talking trash out here.

Okay dude, I'll do that.

#96 Posted by unholyone123 (198 posts) -

@jabbertrack said:

It's going to be super depressing to watch the E3 coverage and all the manufactured excitement over the Wii U. Isn't it time we stopped giving Nintendo a pass?

I don't think all the excitement is manufactured. I think there are a lot of people that are genuinely excited about this new system. Though I do agree, it is time that we stopped giving Nintendo a pass. Considering, too, that the Wii U will have true HD capabilities. At least it will have a semi-normal controller this time around. That would really be a bummer if the rumor that you can only use one of the new controllers at a time turned out to be true.

#97 Posted by JimmyPancakes (116 posts) -

Is it April Fool's day? I don't believe this.

#98 Posted by caff31 (5 posts) -

id buy it

#99 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -
@jabbertrack said:
A pass from what? It's a new console from Nintendo, it's always a big deal.
#100 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

New Mario is always a day one purchase for me. Here's hoping they've got this ready for launch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.