Nintendo has to Set the Next Home Console Hardware Standard @ E3

• 57 results
#51 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

So the wii-u is basically the Dreamcast 2

#52 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -
@Seppli: As MB said earlier, there is no way that the hardware specifications haven't been set in stone, more or less. Even if they refused to say anything about it when the launched it, there is no way that they will unveil a console that hasn't been planned out more or less completely. Besides, Nintendo won't delay the console they've been talking so highly about merely to buff the graphics some. They'll take the same approach as they did with the Wii.
#53 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I've never really been into a Nintendo home console since the NES Also, Sony isn't announcing anything hardware/console-related at E3 2012, and I highly doubt Microsoft is either. Those two will set the hardware standard, not Nintendo.

#54 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Come on, man. It's 2012. No one cares about specs, the people who do all moved to PC gaming anyway.

That was a popular sentiment between 2008 and 2010, but look around. Everyone is sick of the performance of the 360 and PS3. Specs do matter again.

#55 Posted by freakin9 (1085 posts) -

Nintendo simply can't make a console that is considerably more powerful than the others at this point, they are merely trying not to have the lack of power of the Wii be their downfall. While a new console COULD come out for everyone, there's really no point to it at this point. Sony and MS made consoles that had hardware up to snuff with the PCs at the time, while they are certainly trailing the PC at this point it isn't a night and day difference.

#56 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

@Jams: I don't see this logic behind why different consoles can't aim for different markets, but yes, there are going to be certain people who only stick to certain consoles, although I don't think Xbox's most successful holiday ever is necessarily proof of that. You say Nintendo need to innovate in their games but I'd argue that they've already done and are still doing exactly this, you can label their motion control technology a gimmick, but the matter of that fact is that this "gimmick" has allowed the creation of games like Wii Fit and Mario Party 8 which couldn't have existed on any other system before now and have sold in their millions. With the Wii U they've already been quick to show off how their new controller can be applied to a kind of game we've never really seen before. Call it whatever else you like, surely that is innovation. I don't think innovation is the only way forward for Nintendo though.

You say they need to do bold new things, but you make the exact point that the game that everyone dusted their Wii off for was Skyward Sword, the exact kind of product which is representative of their iterative game design. Other titles like Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2 and the new Donkey Kong also sold huge amounts by doing the same thing, and yet creating these games which collectively make them hundreds of millions of dollars is supposed to be why Nintendo are about to fall off the wagon? I've heard this theory before and I don't buy it.

#57 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

@Jams: I don't see this logic behind why different consoles can't aim for different markets, but yes, there are going to be certain people who only stick to certain consoles, although I don't think Xbox's most successful holiday ever is necessarily proof of that. You say Nintendo need to innovate in their games but I'd argue that they've already done and are still doing exactly this, you can label their motion control technology a gimmick, but the matter of that fact is that this "gimmick" has allowed the creation of games like Wii Fit and Mario Party 8 which couldn't have existed on any other system before now and have sold in their millions. With the Wii U they've already been quick to show off how their new controller can be applied to a kind of game we've never really seen before. Call it whatever else you like, surely that is innovation. I don't think innovation is the only way forward for Nintendo though.

You say they need to do bold new things, but you make the exact point that the game that everyone dusted their Wii off for was Skyward Sword, the exact kind of product which is representative of their iterative game design. Other titles like Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2 and the new Donkey Kong also sold huge amounts by doing the same thing, and yet creating these games which collectively make them hundreds of millions of dollars is supposed to be why Nintendo are about to fall off the wagon? I've heard this theory before and I don't buy it.

Maybe you're right, but can they keep going with the same Mario, Zelda, etc forever? What I'm thinking is that they're making a mistake in trying to innovate on how games are played and instead they should be focusing on the games themselves. If they're going to be making another Mario, Zelda, then shouldn't they be trying to expand the world and adding more depth to how the games play? That's what I think they should be focusing on. Not a new way to waggle.

It'll definately be interesting to see how the Wii-U does in time. I do personally hope it does good, or at least that Nintendo is successful in the long run.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.