Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

Edited By galiant
    This forum blog praising Nintendo and everything Nintendo does got me thinking.

I'm not part of Nintendo's target audience anymore which makes me feel that there are many things lacking with most everything Nintendo puts out, none of it is for me. They have all these gimmicks going on while they're still behind the other consoles and their software in so many aspects. You know what I'm talking about, HD, HDD, anything online, trophies/achievements...the way they handle some of these things just feels so dated and weird. With my PC, PS3 and iPhone I get everything I want out of games today and I wish Nintendo would just either evolve or die and make room on the market for the stuff I enjoy. But hey, that's not how the world works. I'm afraid that if they continue to do so well, I will become part of a minority gaming audience and games will move in a direction I really don't want them to when everyone tries to emulate Nintendo's success.

I'm 23 now, raised by Donkey Kong and Mario but I've grown up and come to accept that Nintendo is not for me.

EDIT: Edited to avoid further misunderstandings =)
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By galiant

I'm not part of Nintendo's target audience anymore which makes me feel that there are many things lacking with most everything Nintendo puts out, none of it is for me. They have all these gimmicks going on while they're still behind the other consoles and their software in so many aspects. You know what I'm talking about, HD, HDD, anything online, trophies/achievements...the way they handle some of these things just feels so dated and weird. With my PC, PS3 and iPhone I get everything I want out of games today and I wish Nintendo would just either evolve or die and make room on the market for the stuff I enjoy. But hey, that's not how the world works. I'm afraid that if they continue to do so well, I will become part of a minority gaming audience and games will move in a direction I really don't want them to when everyone tries to emulate Nintendo's success.

I'm 23 now, raised by Donkey Kong and Mario but I've grown up and come to accept that Nintendo is not for me.

EDIT: Edited to avoid further misunderstandings =)
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

So you'd rather see them die than cater to an audience that you're no longer a part of?

Good show, old chap.  No, really.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CaLe

I agree with you, but many probably won't. The only game I've finished on my Wii was a Japanese import of Fatal Frame 4. I can't stick with the controls for games like SMG, even though I readily admit it's a great game. Give me a proper controller and I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael
    @Galiant said:
    " Nintendo is for kids, nostalgic people and people who generally don't play a lot of games. I'm just not part of that group. "
    @Galiant said:
    " With my PC, PS3 and iPhone I get everything I want out of games today "
    HA HA HA HA
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By galiant
    @Hailinel: I'd rather see them evolve, like I wrote. In fact, I hope all those rumors about the next Nintendo console is true - that it's better than anything out there and all that, because that would be a step in the right direction! But if that thing comes out and it still doesn't have HD, a HDD or proper online then they'll continue to do what they do and all my fears will come true. Do you feel that's fair or are you satisfied with the way Nintendo handles things now? I'm interested in hearing what you think!
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Brendan

Wow, two bad blogs about Nintendo in one day?  What a treat!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

I play video a lot of video games; Wii, Xbox 360 and PC. They all have something I like. I've enjoyed the shit out of my Wii. If you want to complain, complain to the developers for trying to make money on a larger audience by simplifying their video games. Look how CRPGs have changed over the years trying to reach a wider audience.

Video games make more money now than they did 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Times are changing. Maybe it's time to jump off that video game train.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By DeeGee

Games can't be fun unless they're in HD online with achievements?

Ok, Mr. Crazy Person.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By galiant
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @Galiant said:
    " Nintendo is for kids, nostalgic people and people who generally don't play a lot of games. I'm just not part of that group. "
    @Galiant said:
    HA HA HA HA "
    Care to elaborate? Since you put "and iPhone" in bold, I'll bite and tell you that I use public transportation a lot and being able to play games on my iPhone is a great way to make those 40 minutes pass. I'd love to hear why that's funny.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DonPixel

I don´t know .. Im not annoyed by Nintendo success (in sales) people can go waste their time and money in whatever they want for what I care.. it´s a free country.

But yea that "blog" it´s just an annoying hyperbolic  fanboyism exercise.
    TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By TehFlan
    @Galiant said:
    " @Icemael said:
    "
    @Galiant said:
    @Galiant said:
    HA HA HA HA "
    Care to elaborate? Since you put "and iPhone" in bold, I'll bite and tell you that I use public transportation a lot and being able to play games on my iPhone is a great way to make those 40 minutes pass. I'd love to hear why that's funny. "
    There are better portable gaming devices out there. Namely the DS and PSP.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icemael
    @TehFlan said:
    " @Galiant said:
    " @Icemael said:
    "
    @Galiant said:
    @Galiant said:
    HA HA HA HA "
    Care to elaborate? Since you put "and iPhone" in bold, I'll bite and tell you that I use public transportation a lot and being able to play games on my iPhone is a great way to make those 40 minutes pass. I'd love to hear why that's funny. "
    There are better portable gaming devices out there. Namely the DS and PSP. "
    This. Even the Kirby series, Nintendo's most casual stuff without "Wii" or "Party" in the title, is more hardcore than practically everything on the iPhone.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Contro
    @Icemael said:

" @TehFlan said:

" @Galiant said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Galiant said:
    @Galiant said:

HA HA HA HA "
    This. Even the Kirby series, Nintendo's most casual stuff without "Wii" or "Party" in the title, is more hardcore than practically everything on the iPhone. "

A Chinese made Dingoo A320 is a better gaming device than an iPhone, lol
    TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By TehFlan
    @Icemael said:
    " @TehFlan said:
    " @Galiant said:
    " @Icemael said:
    "
    @Galiant said:
    @Galiant said:
    HA HA HA HA "
    This. Even the Kirby series, Nintendo's most casual stuff without "Wii" or "Party" in the title, is more hardcore than practically everything on the iPhone. "
    Kirby either eats his enemies or RIPS THEM TO SHREDS. That series is more hardcore than any on the market.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Galiant: Are you telling me that there are no games on the Wii for serious gamers? Super Mario Galaxy, Zak and Wiki, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Fragile Dreams, House of the Dead: Overkill are serious games on a mechanical and/or narrative level. By serious I presume you mean games that are either more mature in narrative content or provide a challenge for a skilled gamer. Meowayne's sticky thread in the Wii forum has more than 70 games on it worth considering.

Achievements are retarded and promote playing bad games or time-wasting, the Wii has flash memory which is a better technology (too little of it, true), online could be better but this is the case with Japanese dev. in general. The PS3 and Xbox look like shit at 1080p (if you care about high resolution get a PC seriously). Both 360 and PS3 are too underpowered to run games at 1080p and either look good or run well with no AA, locked at 30fps with often noticeable dips, and low detail settings. The only reason they decided to jump ahead to 1080p is for marketing purposes, to be running at the native resolution of widescreen HDTVs. Running at 480p does not diminish the graphical excellence of some of the Wii's games, it's just that very few companies put the effort in.

The way the industry develops will also be to inevitably cater to the widest possible variety of people because games cost a large amount of money to develop. And this is true of all systems, not just Nintendo's, in case you haven't noticed. But I highly doubt you are a serious gamer that values only the most complex mechanics and highest difficulty - not as a slight towards you, but most gamers complain about hard and complex games. Also, if you're 23 and a serious gamer you ought to have the taste and motivation to find the good games worth playing on the system. And do you not see the contradiction of bewailing casualisation whilst being an Iphone gamer?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
    @TehFlan said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @TehFlan said:
    " @Galiant said:
    " @Icemael said:
    "
    @Galiant said:
    @Galiant said:
    HA HA HA HA "
    Kirby either eats his enemies or RIPS THEM TO SHREDS. That series is more hardcore than any on the market. "
    Kirby doesn't just eat his enemies, he steals their powers through the act of digestion.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By galiant
    @Brendan said: 

" Wow, two bad blogs about Nintendo in one day?  What a treat! "

Are you saying my writing is bad or are you happy because I dislike Nintendo? Because English isn't my native language, I do my best you know =/

@Claude said: 

" I play video a lot of video games; Wii, Xbox 360 and PC. They all have something I like. I've enjoyed the shit out of my Wii. If you want to complain, complain to the developers for trying to make money on a larger audience by simplifying their video games. Look how CRPGs have changed over the years trying to reach a wider audience. Video games make more money now than they did 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Times are changing. Maybe it's time to jump off that video game train. "

There's still a huge market for "simple" video games, I just feel that those belong on a platform like the iPhone and for cheap, not full price on a home console. That is, if we're talking about the same thing here. I'm not sure. I don't know what a CRPG is either but I'll look that up and get back to you. Also, I don't want to jump off the video game train because I don't want to quit playing video games! I might be misinterpreting that.

@DeeGee said: 

" Games can't be fun unless they're in HD online with achievements?Ok, Mr. Crazy Person. "

Of course they can be fun, but you're missing the point. Those were examples of how Nintendo had not evolved like the rest of the gaming market. Other examples would be things like still using friend codes and all that that implies, not having a proper HDD to store downloadable titles or install more demanding games, having a store that sells a whole lot of nothing for a whole lot of money...see where I'm going with this? Also, I'm not crazy. Don't call me crazy.

@TehFlan said: 

@Galiant said: 

@Icemael said: 

"
    @Galiant said: 
    @Galiant said: 
    " With my PC, PS3 and iPhone I get everything I want out of games today "
    HA HA HA HA "
    I have a DS Lite, and frankly there are too many full price titles on there that have equivalents in the App Store for next to nothing. I realize of course that there are more advanced portable titles that are not available on a phone yet, but frankly I don't have huge chunks of time to play games when I'm away from home. This is obviously no fault of Nintendo's or any other portable gaming device, I just do most of my "serious" gaming at home. That sounds kinda bad, but I don't know how else to put it. I'm not trying to make some "casual/hardcore" case here. Also, I don't have any more room in my pockets and I refuse to get a fanny pack =)

@Icemael said: 

@TehFlan said: 

@Galiant said: 
    @Icemael said: 
    "
    @Galiant said: 
    @Galiant said: 
    " With my PC, PS3 and iPhone I get everything I want out of games today "
    HA HA HA HA "
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. Is my iPhone not "hardcore" enough for you? I do most of my gaming at home and when I'm away from home I don't want hardcore, I want simple, mostly because of time constraints. When I'm at home I don't need a portable. Again, this is obviously no fault of Nintendo's so I don't know what your point is.

@Contro said: 

" I suggest you stop sucking then. "

I'll get right on that. Do join in on the discussion, but don't be juvenile.   
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jking47

If nintendo leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I wouldn't put it in there anymore.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Icemael
    @Galiant said:

" I don't understand what you're trying to say. Is my iPhone not "hardcore" enough for you? I do most of my gaming at home and when I'm away from home I don't want hardcore, I want simple, mostly because of time constraints. When I'm at home I don't need a portable. Again, this is obviously no fault of Nintendo's so I don't know what your point is. "

My point is that you shouldn't create a topic about how Nintendo leaves a bad taste in your mouth because they're too casual and then express love for the iPhone, the most casual gaming device of all time. Especially when there are great hardcore games for the Wii and DS, while the iPhone has nothing.

@Galiant said:
    " Since you put "and iPhone" in bold, I'll bite and tell you that I use public transportation a lot and being able to play games on my iPhone is a great way to make those 40 minutes pass. "
    40 minutes is more than enough to play a good chunk of something hardcore, unless it's Metal Gear Solid or a JRPG with really long dungeons and scarce save points.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Claude
    @jking47:  CRPG is computer role playing game. They just don't make them the same. They're more streamlined to cater to a larger audience. As for the Wii, I've played some great games on it, too many to list. I just don't understand how Nintendo could leave a bad taste in your mouth. They helped bring in more money to the industry and there will always be video games you like to play. You won't be in the minority for a long, long time. So, keep on playing.
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jking47
    @Claude: what? I know what a CRPG is =/
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Wolverine
    @Galiant said:
    "
    I'm not part of Nintendo's target audience anymore which makes me feel that there are many things lacking with most everything Nintendo puts out, none of it is for me. They have all these gimmicks going on while they're still behind the other consoles and their software in so many aspects. You know what I'm talking about, HD, HDD, anything online, trophies/achievements...the way they handle some of these things just feels so dated and weird. With my PC, PS3 and iPhone I get everything I want out of games today and I wish Nintendo would just either evolve or die and make room on the market for the stuff I enjoy. But hey, that's not how the world works. I'm afraid that if they continue to do so well, I will become part of a minority gaming audience and games will move in a direction I really don't want them to when everyone tries to emulate Nintendo's success. I'm 23 now, raised by Donkey Kong and Mario but I've grown up and come to accept that Nintendo is for kids, nostalgic people and people who generally don't play a lot of games. I'm just not part of that group. "
    I really wish Microsoft would buy Nintendo so that some of my favorite IPs of all time could be in HD, have great online support, and have achievements.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Claude
    @jking47 said:

" @Claude: what? I know what a CRPG is =/ "

Sorry, I thought I was talking to that other dude. My bad. Need to get my eyes checked.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By craigbo180

I hardly play my wii but when I do I enjoy it because it offers something different completely different from what I would get on the 360 or PS3, when its at its best anyway. I agree though that there are some obvious things that Nintendo are clearly missing.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By galiant
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Galiant: Are you telling me that there are no games on the Wii for serious gamers? Super Mario Galaxy, Zak and Wiki, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Fragile Dreams, House of the Dead: Overkill are serious games on a mechanical and/or narrative level. By serious I presume you mean games that are either more mature in narrative content or provide a challenge for a skilled gamer. Meowayne's sticky thread in the Wii forum has more than 70 games on it worth considering.Achievements are retarded and promote playing bad games or time-wasting, the Wii has flash memory which is a better technology (too little of it, true), online could be better but this is the case with Japanese dev. in general. The PS3 and Xbox look like shit at 1080p (if you care about high resolution get a PC seriously). Both 360 and PS3 are too underpowered to run games at 1080p and either look good or run well with no AA, locked at 30fps with often noticeable dips, and low detail settings. The only reason they decided to jump ahead to 1080p is for marketing purposes, to be running at the native resolution of widescreen HDTVs. Running at 480p does not diminish the graphical excellence of some of the Wii's games, it's just that very few companies put the effort in.The way the industry develops will also be to inevitably cater to the widest possible variety of people because games cost a large amount of money to develop. And this is true of all systems, not just Nintendo's, in case you haven't noticed. But I highly doubt you are a serious gamer that values only the most complex mechanics and highest difficulty - not as a slight towards you, but most gamers complain about hard and complex games. Also, if you're 23 and a serious gamer you ought to have the taste and motivation to find the good games worth playing on the system. Also, do you not see the contradiction of bewailing casualisation whilst being an Iphone gamer? "
    No, I'm not saying there are no games. I'm saying Nintendo's hardware is lacking and a lot of the software for it is therefore also lacking. Nintendo's mindset when it comes to gaming is lacking. Friend codes man, friend codes.  Room to install on the HDD for more demanding games, the lack of storage for downloadable titles, a bad selection of downloadable titles!

I didn't mention the word "serious" in my original post but I see where you're coming from. I'm not a "serious gamer", I'm a guy who has fun playing games. I'm not against "casual" games (I hate those terms, really do), I'm against promoting gimmicks like bad motion control instead of keeping your hardware and user interaction up to par with the competition.

I feel you may have misunderstood me. I don't "bewail casualisation", I enjoy playing simple games on my iPhone and there's definitely a market for it. My issues are with Nintendo's hardware and that mindset they have where they feel they don't need to evolve because their dated solutions concerning graphics/storage/online/friends don't get in the way of their sales.

In fact, I think you've found my real issue here. Nintendo might just be too Japanese for me.
    krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By krisgebis

If you love software quality, MS is the way to go.

The software quality of xbox compared to PS3 is staggering. Yes, I'm not talking about exclusives here. PS3 can really hold it's own, and the system is no way near shit or anything like that. But when you take each system and enjoy what they offer, I find that the xbox deliveres a package that is top notch in quality and with feature that are really supplementary to each other.

The party system and matchmaking have really pushed console gaming forward.
    Achievements are better integrated then trophies (no wierd synching, which fails 50% of the time) and it launched in its current state 2years before Sony got around to releasing Trophies.
    Want to bring your saves with you? Have a memorystick with your saves and profiles on it. Bring it over to your friend and save/continue your progress.
    The lisencing is easy to use and better for developers. You can't "share" games, but have no hassel running the games you own.
    Updates are WAY smaller (for the same game) and dont have to install.

Sony do make some things right with the PS3, and their "dashboard" layout is supperior (the xbox dashboard quickly gets bloated after each update). But softwarevise MS beats Sony hand down.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By galiant
    @Icemael said:
    " @Galiant said:

" I don't understand what you're trying to say. Is my iPhone not "hardcore" enough for you? I do most of my gaming at home and when I'm away from home I don't want hardcore, I want simple, mostly because of time constraints. When I'm at home I don't need a portable. Again, this is obviously no fault of Nintendo's so I don't know what your point is. "

My point is that you shouldn't create a topic about how Nintendo leaves a bad taste in your mouth because they're too casual and then express love for the iPhone, the most casual gaming device of all time. Especially when there are great hardcore games for the Wii and DS, while the iPhone has nothing.

@Galiant said:
    " Since you put "and iPhone" in bold, I'll bite and tell you that I use public transportation a lot and being able to play games on my iPhone is a great way to make those 40 minutes pass. "
    40 minutes is more than enough to play a good chunk of something hardcore, unless it's Metal Gear Solid or a JRPG with really long dungeons and scarce save points.
    "
    In that case we've misunderstood each other. I'm complaining about Nintendo refusing to evolve and adopt some modern standards that I consider to be part of why playing games is so great these days, I'm not complaining about "casual" games.  Man, those terms need to disappear. I realize how that last sentence in my original post may have confused you, it was not well expressed.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By galiant
    @Claude said:

" @jking47:  CRPG is computer role playing game. They just don't make them the same. They're more streamlined to cater to a larger audience. As for the Wii, I've played some great games on it, too many to list. I just don't understand how Nintendo could leave a bad taste in your mouth. They helped bring in more money to the industry and there will always be video games you like to play. You won't be in the minority for a long, long time. So, keep on playing. "

Thanks for the info, even though you replied to the wrong person =)

@Krisgebis said: 

" If you love software quality, MS is the way to go.

The software quality of xbox compared to PS3 is staggering. Yes, I'm not talking about exclusives here. PS3 can really hold it's own, and the system is no way near shit or anything like that. But when you take each system and enjoy what they offer, I find that the xbox deliveres a package that is top notch in quality and with feature that are really supplementary to each other.

The party system and matchmaking have really pushed console gaming forward.
    Achievements are better integrated then trophies (no wierd synching, which fails 50% of the time) and it launched in its current state 2years before Sony got around to releasing Trophies.
    Want to bring your saves with you? Have a memorystick with your saves and profiles on it. Bring it over to your friend and save/continue your progress.
    The lisencing is easy to use and better for developers. You can't "share" games, but have no hassel running the games you own.
    Updates are WAY smaller (for the same game) and dont have to install.

Sony do make some things right with the PS3, and their "dashboard" layout is supperior (the xbox dashboard quickly gets bloated after each update). But softwarevise MS beats Sony hand down.
    "
    Sony should definitely take a few hints from Microsoft concerning some of the things you mentioned. But to stay on topic, I'd rather Nintendo implemented all those things. Sony is getting there, with a few edges of its own, while Nintendo's riddled with dated or non-existant solutions to these things.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Galiant:  Ok, I might have misinterpreted the spirit of your original post. It's just making statements like "Wii is for nostalgic people, casuals, and fanboys" is downright offensive, especially for those who have spent time with the system. It's a question of perspective: every system on the market has a load of bad games and shovelware, but it's only for the Wii that it gets noticed. Do you know why nobody spends time talking about this stunning revelation for the other systems? Because it's true of every system, it's not relevant, and it's tiresome! Or do people just assume that what they see on store shelves reflects everything that is available? Also, it's not like you're forced to use motion controls for every game on the system, many of them have classic controller and gc controller support.

Anyway, I don't agree with you that motion controls are entirely a gimmick either. For many genres I prefer a controller (or mouse and keyboard). I would argue that m. control however does make some genres better: sports games, point-and-click adventure games, and rail shooters for example.

As for the question of Nintendo being "dated", it's a question of priority don't you think? Achievement systems and online play aren't a priority in Japan. Although that might seem skewed to the Western gamer, it makes sense for that market. And some people in the West will share those priorities, as Nintendo does deliver when it comes to single-player titles. If I needed the other stuff I'd own the other systems or ignore them and get a PC. Everything you mentioned I don't particularly care for, as the number of downloadable titles of worth can be counted on one hand, a bigger flash drive would be much better than a standard hard drive because of faster read times, and I hate playing with randoms online.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By galiant
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Galiant:  Ok, I might have misinterpreted the spirit of your original post. It's just making statements like "Wii is for nostalgic people, casuals, and fanboys" is downright offensive, especially for those who have spent time with the system. It's a question of perspective: every system on the market has a load of bad games and shovelware, but it's only for the Wii that it gets noticed. Do you know why nobody spends time talking about this stunning revelation for the other systems? Because it's true of every system, it's not relevant, and it's tiresome! Or do people just assume that what they see on store shelves reflects everything that is available? Also, it's not like you're forced to use motion controls for every game on the system, many of them have classic controller and gc controller support.

Anyway, I don't agree with you that motion controls are entirely a gimmick either. For many genres I prefer a controller (or mouse and keyboard). I would argue that m. control however does make some genres better: sports games, point-and-click adventure games, and rail shooters for example.

As for the question of Nintendo being "dated", it's a question of priority don't you think? Achievement systems and online play aren't a priority in Japan. Although that might seem skewed to the Western gamer, it makes sense for that market. And some people in the West will share those priorities, as Nintendo does deliver when it comes to single-player titles. If I needed the other stuff I'd own the other systems or ignore them and get a PC. Everything you mentioned I don't particularly care for, as the number of downloadable titles of worth can be counted on one hand, a bigger flash drive would be much better than a standard hard drive because of faster read times, and I hate playing with randoms online. "
    I can see how it's not a big issue for you then =) But yes, my last statement was poorly put, I wanted to express somehow that I did not feel like I was part of their target audience. Maybe I should change it to avoid further misunderstandings.

What you say about priority is exactly my issue, however. I suppose it's the Japanese vs. Western mindset that frustrates me when it all comes down to it.
    Lev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31  Edited By Lev

You are absolutely right, but I still (like a sucker) buy much of their crap (including the DS, 3DS and the Wii which I bought).

it's just like you said; you/we are not their target audience anymore. I think they (wisely) realized they didn't have what it takes anymore to compete with the core gamers they created; it's too costly, there is too much risk involved - so they did the next best thing (for them) by seeking out a younger audience. Kids are easy to impress and will "oooooooohhhh" and "aaaaaahhhhh" at every little whistle. Developing games is considerably easier and takes much less to pull off... and well, kids are very openly clear about what they like so as long as you listen to them you know how to make stuff they will beg their parents to buy.

It's a brilliant business move in my opinion, but I can't help but feel it's a bit sad that they seem to have abandoned the gamers they created for an easier "sure bet".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.