Nintendo of America: Don't Even Think About Pokemon for iPhone

• 72 results
#51 Posted by BucketheaD (8 posts) -

Make an Pokemon MMO. Would be too good. Expansion packs would be silver/gold and ruby/saphire.

#52 Posted by afrofools (1355 posts) -

I knew non-geeks who jailbroke their iPhones, put an emulator of some sort on there, and were playing Pokemon games. Some kid told them how to do it (or so they say).

#53 Posted by geirr (2641 posts) -

Pokemon Say Tap? BW is such an amazing name.

#54 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

@notsonic said:

I feel like whiskey media lives in an apple reality distortion field sometimes. This post handheld notion is more media sensation than reality. Yeah everyone (and by everyone I mean like half of cellphone users) has a super phone, and people download games for them. Its unlikely anyone spends real time playing those games though, especially to the exclusion of other platforms. Just because the ds/psp/3ds/vita dont fit into anyone of the games media's lifestyles doesn't mean theres no market. For every journalist out there with their iphone theres tons of kids still playing their ds at school (who I'm sure want a 3ds and we'll see sales pick up for the holidays.)

Theres been an overwhelming trend lately in games/technology media lauding revolutions and futures that just aren't taking place. Phone games are not the future, they're a future.

You probably wouldn't know it from Giant Bomb, but mobile gaming is exploding right now. Not only is the App Store generating huge profits, (it recently passed 15 billion downloads) but a recent Nielsen study found typical iPhone users spent almost fifteen hours a month playing games on their phones, and that Android users spend about ten.

#55 Posted by Mechanized (331 posts) -

it's not a full-fledged Pokémon video game, rather a promotional spin-off, a card-based rhythm game focused around Pokémon Black and White.

Why are they still promoting Black and While? lmao

Man I love you Nintendo but you've really fallen off.

#56 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

In other breaking news, Halo isn't coming to the PSP and Uncharted won't be on Windows Phones.

#57 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@extremeradical said:

@notsonic said:

I feel like whiskey media lives in an apple reality distortion field sometimes. This post handheld notion is more media sensation than reality. Yeah everyone (and by everyone I mean like half of cellphone users) has a super phone, and people download games for them. Its unlikely anyone spends real time playing those games though, especially to the exclusion of other platforms. Just because the ds/psp/3ds/vita dont fit into anyone of the games media's lifestyles doesn't mean theres no market. For every journalist out there with their iphone theres tons of kids still playing their ds at school (who I'm sure want a 3ds and we'll see sales pick up for the holidays.)

Theres been an overwhelming trend lately in games/technology media lauding revolutions and futures that just aren't taking place. Phone games are not the future, they're a future.

You probably wouldn't know it from Giant Bomb, but mobile gaming is exploding right now. Not only is the App Store generating huge profits, (it recently passed 15 billion downloads) but a recent Nielsen study found typical iPhone users spent almost fifteen hours a month playing games on their phones, and that Android users spend about ten.

But, that's exactly what the Giantbomb crew says every time mobile gaming is brought up.  Cell games are huge and there's just no market for handhelds.
#58 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

@Meowshi said:

@extremeradical said:

@notsonic said:

But, that's exactly what the Giantbomb crew says every time mobile gaming is brought up. Cell games are huge and there's just no market for handhelds.

Well then I misspoke. I don't listen to the Bombcast all that often, so the only iOS coverage I've seen was the preview of 1-Bit Ninja and the editorial review for Game Dev Story.

#59 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

The phone has potential to take over the handhelds, but I have my doubts.

The phone is popular because everyone have one, put a game like Pokemon B and W for the same price on it and it wouldn't be downloaded more than it sold on the DS. ( Which was 1 million in NA day one, btw)

#60 Posted by TheDukeofArgyll (102 posts) -

Nintendo would probably pay them not to release a full Pokemon game on a smart phone since its the the leading DS competition.

#61 Posted by lareeth (3 posts) -

Oh god, this looks awful!

#62 Posted by bornagain888 (123 posts) -
@GS_Dan

I agree, Nintendo should not make a new console but release their big games on Xbox and Playstation, small games on Mobile. The 3DS has stalled and the  new Wii will as well.
#63 Posted by Stahlbrand (839 posts) -

Nintendo agreeing to Pokemon for mobile phones would essentially be Nintendo murdering the 3DS, and stockholders would just fuggin love that.

#64 Posted by ShinjiEx (625 posts) -

Pokemon Is The Bomb ^__^

#65 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

@GS_Dan said:

I'd love for Nintendo to just be a 3rd party developer.

Sorry, but that would suck.

If Nintendo goes 3rd party, we are the losers.

And wtf, Nintendo did good this gen, but they should not be allowed to make a console just because they have a different way of thinking than the others that don't even have games as their main focus? That is kinda....

#66 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

Nintendo is basically the Apple of Japan.

#67 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

pokemans. xD

#68 Posted by aspro73 (20 posts) -

To me the most interesting part of this story to me was that Nintendo only owns 32% of The Pokemon Company.  I had always assumed TPC was a fully-owned subsidiary of Nintendo.

#69 Posted by Trodorne (13 posts) -

Is it just me or is Japanese companies becoming xenophobes?

#70 Posted by beckley205 (310 posts) -
@HerbieBug: Ahhhh memories.....
#71 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -

if they want published a pokemon game to a non nintendo console, i hope they make  mmo pokemon for pc :]

#72 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

id rather pay 40 for a full fledged game then 2 bucks for a casual piece of garbage,

vita 3ds all the way keep your phone to your self i see em they gettin broke!

#73 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

good apple ruins everything

every 6 months a 800 dollar ipad is released i rather upgrade my pc at that rate!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.