Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo to release new NES

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By BelowStupid

@frostyryan said:
    @joe_mccallister said:

This would be perfect for me but this part is concerning;

Sadly you can't use your original NES carts with the console - something even the most basic "Famiclone" offers - and there doesn't seem to be any means of getting new games onto it.

That has to be some sort of oversight or news that is yet to be found right? No way to get other games on there - while it looks like most of the games that I'd look to have on there are already baked in, it's a weird choice to say "30 games no more have fun".

Well it's pretty crazy to expect any piece of hardware to boot up old NES carts in 2016. However it would be cool for the thing to have an online store with classic digital games for sure

Sega's version has 80 games built in, and a slot for cartridges for $50.

Avatar image for cyclonus_the_warrior
    cyclonus_the_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 128

User Lists: 6

@paulmako: Sounds cool and to be honest if I still didn't have a chunk of these games I would probably get it. Time will tell though.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More excited that Nintendo is even considering something like this than I am for the actual product and game selection.

Hope they go deeper down this rabbit hole, maybe themed releases with a more focused list? An all RPG box with a full selection of Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior/Quest games, that kinda thing.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I actually super interested in this. If I have the cash when it comes out I will totally be picking one up.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By TwoLines

Balloon Fight included?! Oh, you bet your ass I'm buying this shit!

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Star fuckin' Tropics, now that's a video game.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#57  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I wouldn't call it a new NES, but either way I will get one. Looks up my alley.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By Error52

@bigsocrates: If they added a SD card slot, people would figure out how to mod it within a week

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like something my nieces would really enjoy. Might have to grab one for them.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cool. Looks big enough to put my Raspberry Pi 3 in. With crappy 3d printed cases costing almost as much as this, I'm down for one.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belowstupid: The Genesis version (which I think is by AtGames not Sega) kinda sucks. Bad audio emulation. The hope is that since this is an official Nintendo product it will be of extremely high quality.

@error52:So what? Emulation of NES games is pretty trivial and as others have pointed out versions of this with pirated games already exist. That horse is already out of the barn. At least you could sell games to people who don't like pirating.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This would be perfect for me but this part is concerning;

Sadly you can't use your original NES carts with the console - something even the most basic "Famiclone" offers - and there doesn't seem to be any means of getting new games onto it.

That has to be some sort of oversight or news that is yet to be found right? No way to get other games on there - while it looks like most of the games that I'd look to have on there are already baked in, it's a weird choice to say "30 games no more have fun".

aw dang that might be a dealbreaker for me too. It has a great mix of 30 games on there but it's missing some of my favorites (like the original Contra) that I have lying around.

Well it's pretty crazy to expect any piece of hardware to boot up old NES carts in 2016. However it would be cool for the thing to have an online store with classic digital games for sure

If they do that, then I'm 100% back in.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I want to do retro legit, I'll grab a Wii for £18.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember this is meant for the casual market so a slot for carts just means more things to not work. and those slots already were kinda iffy.

And the emulator reasoning is silly becaue those arent legit

I will certainly be buying a NES controller for my wii u even if I dont get this system

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading this reminds me that I haven't played StarTropics in a while. I should rectify this.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Tropics gives no fucks.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

If they want to recreate the full NES experience, it needs to not do anything except turn on the red power light when you first turn it on, then as you blow on the cartridge and find the correct combination of holding the power/reset buttons, it works its way up to displaying solid lime green, various squares/backwards letters, and finally, the game you want to play after ten minutes of labor, if it works at all. Then you got to play about an hour at best before it locks up. I don't know if I can fully appreciate an NES that actually works.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might get that. I still have my NES, but it's big and I barely have any games left for it. If anything, it's a nice little novelty.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't underestimate the convenience of being able to create restore points any time to save your progress. That's something this has over the original NES.

It's one of the nicest things about playing games old from the eShop.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By mikemcn

I want it but worry that the nintendo superfans will just buy every one as soon as it comes out. I have very fuzzy memories of the system at my grandparents when I was super young.

Is it a limited run?

CaptainSodaPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could have had so much potential yet they ruined it with no addable games and HDMI only connection.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/14/12193472/mini-nes-classic-edition-faq-nintendo

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The fact that it runs on USB power (at least the PR said the European one does) might make it a nice back seat of the mini-van device. Again, I look at this as something neat to take apart and jam into something with its own screen. That 30 games provides are of high quality which is not often what you find with "other" NES knock-offs, and other sources are saying there are "save" and "suspend" features built into it. I bit pricey, but not terrible. Great for a kids/adults that never owed or played these games before.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

This sounds pretty cool

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:

I want it but worry that the nintendo superfans will just buy every one as soon as it comes out. I have very fuzzy memories of the system at my grandparents when I was super young.

Is it a limited run?

I dont think anyone knows but the reaction makes it seem like it would be dumb for nintendo not to make as many of these as they can.

But they have been known to underproduce. hell, even the wii u was hard to find for a bit wasnt it?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.