Nintendo will not go the way of Sega, so get over yourselves.

• 108 results
#101 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Claude said:

Sometimes I think people want Nintendo to get out of the hardware business just because they want to play Nintendo games on their hardware of choice. I guess they think the hardware is too underpowered or the control methods too gimmicky for their liking.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I feel. Except it isn't just about maintaining a level of visual and experiential fidelity, it's also about features and modern amenities. Nintendo has weird priorities when it comes to their devices. A portable console like the 3DS is rendered entirely not portable by a horrendous battery. The way Nintendo ignores multiplayer functionality, game patches, DLC, even game demos (until very recently) is simply behind the times. So even if the Wii was equally as powerful as the 360 and PS3 this hardware generation, it would have been the last resort console for my game purchases. The only praise I can throw its way is that at least the thing wasn't released with a known fatal design flaw that left me with a lemon of a console.

So yes, my prayers would be answered if I could enjoy the fantastic first party Nintendo games on a console that I enjoy using and, more importantly, already own. Saving about $200 to $300 would free me up to buy that many more games. Sure, there needs to be competition, but for the type of gamer that I am, Nintendo isn't that.

Before I get caught in the "game patches are a bad thing" argument, I agree, but they're a necessity and Nintendo was bit a couple of times with major issues with no elegant way to fix them.

Jesus Christ, the battery is not that bad. How often do you play portable games for stretches of 5+ hours without access to an electrical outlet at any point in time?

#102 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Claude said:

Sometimes I think people want Nintendo to get out of the hardware business just because they want to play Nintendo games on their hardware of choice.

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I want.

Me too.

EDIT: Well, not exactly I guess.

I just want to play Nintendo games without gimmicky controls and in HD.

#103 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Claude speaks the truth, once again, you Other Motherfuckers. The idea that Nintendo will suddenly crumble under the weight of one less-than-spectacular year is complete lunacy. It's not going to happen.

#104 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I think Sony is in a more precarious position than Nintendo (not that I think they're just going to up and die), but I am of the opinion that the entire Japanese gaming industry needs to catch up to world gaming/online trends pretty quickly or risk getting left in the dust.

#105 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -
@Dagbiker

I like to think of Nintendo as the anti-Apple, where Apple is the slick jock that is always screwing people over, but every one loves. Nintendo is the geek who always trys to do the right thing and yet every one hates him.

This stuff cracks me up.

#106 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Claude speaks the truth, once again, you Other Motherfuckers.

Is that what the Other M was?

#107 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

Claude speaks the truth, once again, you Other Motherfuckers.

Is that what the Other M was?

It all makes sense now.

#108 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Nintendo are doing fine.  Still profitable, still able to give free shit away and still able to pre sell more product than any other company in the world, with the rare exception of Apple.  Doomsayers are fucking stupid and really poorly informed.

#109 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -

I have to say, Metroid and Zelda would be the only nintendo games that would actauly fit with the xbox and playstation library, mario and donkey kong and all the other games will at best end up as downloadable games.

Otherwise i cant imagine playing Mario cart on a playstation or xbox.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.