Nintendo's E3 2012 Press Conference: Still Chasing Dads After All These Years

#51 Posted by Evil_Alaska (293 posts) -

@Vestigial_Man said:

Lego City Undercover was the highlight of the presentation for me but it didn't make me wan't a WiiU, just made me annoyed it was being kept from other platforms.

Same.

#52 Posted by Helios1337 (325 posts) -

We really need to find out who pisses in Alex's cornflakes every day of his life.

#53 Posted by MindOST (215 posts) -

Like last year, the most interesting thing on display was the Wii U controller itself.

And honestly, I love the Wii U controller. It seems fundamentally superior to, and a natural evolution of "traditional" game controllers.

I hope MS and Sony rip it off for their next consoles.

#54 Posted by bricewgilbert (183 posts) -

@Korolev: No one had to tell me about the Lizard People. I've learned to see through all the lies of the NWO by self interest powered personal improvement. Don't be sheeple people!

#55 Posted by ttocs (763 posts) -

I was so disappointed with the Nintendo presser.  I was really pulling for them to.  They had the chance to go big with the games and really push their new console but it ended up being a blip on the radar.  You can't release a new console with old third party titles re-branded as new.

#56 Posted by Terranova (586 posts) -

@MannAlive said:

Why am I the only one disturbed that Nintendo has not released a date or a price for the Wii U that is supposedly coming out this year? Did I miss something that no one cares to talk about?

your not i said the same thing during the live Conference, I find it strange that they don't mention anything price related when it's meant to be released 5 - 6 months from now even if it's not all fully locked down you still give a price they must know how much it costs for it all by now, I'm guessing they had one but seeing that the reactions were not going down as well as they thought they held off, after all if the price was going to be high on top of the Wii-U looking pretty uneventful it would have been a ten ton nail it's coffin right there and then.

#57 Posted by Wolf3 (54 posts) -

I love Super Mario Bros. I love Pikmin. But why do I have to buy a new system with 7 year old technology and yet another stupid controller to buy them?

If they're not going to compete on tech, I wish they'd just publish on Playstation or something...

#58 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (520 posts) -

@Helios1337: No we don't. Did you watch the press conference? It was awful. If anything, Alex's tone seemed disappointed - not annoyed.

#59 Posted by habibyjohnson (85 posts) -

@Sergio said:

@Begilerath said:

So the Ubisoft conference was a better WiiU conference?

The Ubisoft conference was better than the Microsoft conference too. Slightly better than the Sony conference as well.

SLIGHTLY better? The Ubi conference was I think one of the best E3 conferences I have ever seen. Game line up was mind blowingly awesome and presentation was just the right amount of funny and cheesy. Sony was fkn terrible besides the last 2 demos (of which we have already seen other demos)

#60 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2489 posts) -

I'm kind of embarrassed for Nintendo that someone obviously thought 95% of this was stuff that people would give a shit about.

Their idea to beat back phone/tablet gaming is to add a tablet that has to be tethered to an upgraded Wii to work, and it's probably going to cost $350-$400 for this setup. There's nothing to see here.

And where's that new Super Smash Bros. we heard about last year at E3?

#61 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1869 posts) -

Dat Banana.

#62 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -
@MocBucket62 said:
Man, Nintendo REALLY wants use to buy Nintendo Land. Why didn't they condense the Nintendo Land stuff to save room for unveiling the Project P-100 game?
Nintendoland comes with the console.
#63 Posted by Draxyle (1835 posts) -

For a press-conference dedicated to a new system, it was oddly.. meh indeed. All of these products were completely known quantities. The non-ports all look exactly like their predecessors on top of that (NSMB, Scribblenauts, etc). ZombiU seemed to be the only new IP for it, and it's zombies again (though it actually does look good).

I don't doubt the WiiU's success, but I need something that's actually new to get excited. P-100 would have been fantastic to show on stage, for example.

#64 Posted by Helios1337 (325 posts) -

@Brewmaster_Andy said:

@Helios1337: No we don't. Did you watch the press conference? It was awful. If anything, Alex's tone seemed disappointed - not annoyed.

Oh I agree most of these press conferences have been bad, but a 100% effective cure for cancer could be announced and he would have some snark comment about it.

#65 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

As much as I'm disappointed with the Nintendo press conference (still holding out hope for the 3DS news tomorrow), I'd still rank their press conference above Microsoft's, with Sony's at the top, if I were only counting the console makers. Purely personal opinion because I never bought into Halo, Forza, or anything Kinect-related, so they didn't have any exclusives that piqued my interest. Nintendo at least had Pikmin 3, all things Mario, specifically Paper Mario, and as crazy as it sounds, Lego City Undercover.

#66 Posted by ThePilgrums (427 posts) -

Horribly disappointing show. They really needed a Retro game or something. Pikmin 3, NSMB U, and NintendoLand weren't enough to sell people on the first party front. And 3rd party could have had a stronger showing. I have a feeling this thing will sell underwhelming amounts for its first year, even worse than the 3DS. I was hoping Nintendo would have a much stronger showing than that.

@MannAlive said:

Why am I the only one disturbed that Nintendo has not released a date or a price for the Wii U that is supposedly coming out this year? Did I miss something that no one cares to talk about?

They said they wouldn't reveal that info at E3 a few weeks ago. It's not exactly unexpected, and they did the same thing for the Wii at E3 2006.

#67 Posted by Begilerath (175 posts) -

@Sergio said:

@Begilerath said:

The Ubisoft conference was better than the Microsoft conference too. Slightly better than the Sony conference as well.

I was implying that it was a better showcase for the Wii-U than the actual Nintendo conference, mainly because of the amazing Rayman Legends, ZombieU and Assassins Creed III, which was not played on a Wii-U but we know is coming

#68 Posted by InternetDetective (351 posts) -

Releasing a bunch of games people have already played to launch your new console is a TERRIBLE idea. Why would they do that? I guess it is cheaper than developing new games but c'mon son!

#69 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

@Sergio said:

@Begilerath said:

SLIGHTLY better? The Ubi conference was I think one of the best E3 conferences I have ever seen. Game line up was mind blowingly awesome and presentation was just the right amount of funny and cheesy. Sony was fkn terrible besides the last 2 demos (of which we have already seen other demos)

really? i thought beyond looked promising too.

#70 Posted by ERoBB (160 posts) -

It was horrible. This was supposed to be the system's coming out party. It can't be stressed enough that this turkey is being released in a few months. If the Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion game were Wii U titles, I think we'd be okay. But I'm more likely to buy a 3DS than a Wii U at this point.

And just when I was starting to see myself using that dumb gamepad.

#71 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

@habibyjohnson said:

@Sergio said:

@Begilerath said:

I say slightly better because everything but Watch Dogs had already been seen at Microsoft's and then at Sony's. Sony's did have a new AC3 game though. Overall, with those three press conferences, Ubisoft pretty much stole E3 this year barring any surprised on the floor.

#72 Posted by dentedpickle (1 posts) -

Didn't feel like a new console launch presentation. Already released games are not system sellers. I wanted to like the Wii U. In fact, I initially was going to buy it regardless - and was just watching the presentation for fun. They actually talked me out of it. Damn you Nintendo - I am a sucker for new systems - if I don't want it who will? Another Vita incoming.

#73 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

that cover picture is fucking hilarious.

#74 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

That post-conference Dad is crazy hot.

Just putting it out there.

#75 Posted by wafflestomp (249 posts) -

Not to pile on but Nintendo is out of their damned minds. They had an opportunity to change perceptions on Nintendo but instead curled back up into the ball of mediocrity that they have been living in. The 3DS has some kick ass stuff coming for it, yet their new machine that we are supposed to pay money for has almost no games I am interested in or have played already.

Where is Zelda? Where is Metroid? Where is Earthbound? Where is a true Mario 3D game. The "New" SMB was cute the first time, okay the second. Now you give me 2 of the same game?!!! BOO YOU.

I want adventure, excitement and whimsy of Nintendo of old. Not this watered down version of my childhood.

Fix it, Reggie. Fix it now.

#76 Posted by tourgen (4469 posts) -

Wow I was expecting at least something to get shown on this console that I want to play. More super Mario isn't enough. Some good metroid would have gone a long ways.

Is E3 about games or are games just a means to sell media boxes now? Not directed at Nintendo exclusively, obviously.

#77 Posted by Gunslinger0130 (224 posts) -

I see the WiiU as it stands now as Nintendo's last console, they'll go the way of SEGA but will be picked up by Apple who will lock them into an exclusivity contract to give Apple leverage when they announce their next gen system.

#78 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Nintendo is launching a console that a year ago we thought sounded like it was gonna be the Wii 1.5, two E3's now and they haven't done anything to change that notion. Add to that they haven't announced the price which would lead one to believe that it's at least $300. For a launch lineup that largely consists of games available for current systems it's not enough without a first party or exclusive third party "system seller" in there. So far the only things that I have seen at this show that would make me want to go out and buy a new console are Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 because they look/seem like the next step visually or technologically.

#79 Posted by Vasta_Narada (442 posts) -

@hoodedrobin said:

@Vasta_Narada said:

@hoodedrobin: They're doing a 3DS software showcase tomorrow, I do believe.

Yeah but...man...you've got everybody's attention. Throw a montage during Scott's section and cut down on that other dude explaining Nintendoland.

Yeah, true that. Get rid of some Wii Fit while you're at it.

#80 Posted by Lucidlife (107 posts) -

Well, I gave Nintendo a shot. I'm a Nintendo fan. But year after year they have disappointed. This was their time to shine. MS and Sony really had nothing of note. They could have stole the show and the wallets of everyone watching. All they had to do was show a 1080p console with a traditional controller. Bring out your WiiU but bring back the controller as well. That's it. Pair that with an all new robust MODERN online network and I think people would have been so excited. Instead, we got....this. An incredibly confusing peripheral. I don't need more confusing peripherals for my gaming room. I want simplicity. I want HD. I want GAMES. I got none of that. And to top it off they show yet another side-scrolling mario game. Are you serious? It literally looks nothing different than the last iteration. And that is just sad. You have lost the core gamer forever. Yes, MS has stepped in it's own shit here lately trying to focus too much on media convergence but in the end they have tons of games for the core. The same really of Sony. They have a very good online network and obviously an HD machine.

It's sad that 2 years from now I will only have 2 new consoles to play instead of 3.

#81 Posted by art_monkey79 (27 posts) -

It looks interesting, though I'm not going to be beating down old ladies using strollers at the Walmart when it comes out. I loved the Wii when it came out though that's before I started Gaming. Except for the hardware, I'm not interested in what they are offering.

The only reason I would be interested in the hardware is because it's different. I'm sure after a few hours I will be looking for a regular controller.

Yet again I'm not the audience they really want to impress. As this tech gets more and more advanced and starts to take over more and more areas of our lives, from health (WII Fit) to watching Media (Hulu and Netflix streaming services) we are going to have to find a new name for all of this. They are not trying to appeal to just Nintendo fans or Hardcore Gamers, they want Mom Dad and yes, even Grandma! I'm sure families will have a a ball with it. Dad can chase his children around with an expensive piece of technology instead of going outside and playing hide and go seek.

#82 Edited by Echo (391 posts) -

Nintendo were pushing the whole "connecting the families" thing, but what makes them think that the Wii U is really going to be the thing to do it? Nintendo can deny it, but I'm guessing most families are going to buy the next Xbox or PlayStation and an iPad before they buy a Wii U.

#83 Edited by Fortenium (102 posts) -

Pikmin 3, both Mario games, Paper Mario, and Luigi's Mansion 2 and were my picks of interesting stuff. Seeing the menu for the Wii U was nice I guess. Everything else was pretty meh or just boring.

The whole conference started sliding downhill after Harley Quinn stopped talking, which was disappointing considering how strong the beginning was. I was falling asleep near the end because of the sheer amount of third-party filler and unnecessary long demos (like NintendoLand's Luigi's Mansion thing; seriously, you can sum it up in a trailer and save like five minutes for the conference, maybe to focus further on Luigi's Mansion 2). Still don't know why the hell New Super Mario Bros. 2 makes Mario seem similar to Wario because of the obsession over coins; Wario could easily be the starring character. Speaking of him, has anyone noticed Game & Wario? Nintendo posted it on the website today.

To summarize, though, it wasn't horrible, but I think people slam on it too much and forget how much of a wreck 2008 was with its two games and boring speaker (thank god she no longer is with Nintendo).

#84 Posted by Foil1212 (444 posts) -

I don't know how they could put this on the screen and not expect everyone to thing super smash bros: https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/210033464001576963/photo/1/large

That's what got me really bummed. I was expecting that kind of an announcement, and it ended up being...Nintendoland? The show started off with a real banger: Pikmin 3, and Miyamoto being him, which can steal anyone's cynicism! People have been calling for that for a while, and that was awesome. Then there was some Mario Bros. stuff, which is pretty old at this point. Then fitness. Then music. And apps. And mini games. It all came crashing down. I still, foolishly, held hope that they would announce a new smash bros. game, because what else could that image be? Oh, wait? It's over? Instant disappointment, my heart sank, and I hit rock bottom. Major disappointment, and that's how Nintendo fooled me again. At the beginning of the show, I was thinking I might actually want to buy one of these.

The show got me way more excited about the 3DS than anything else. Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion are way more exciting than mini games and a new old new super mario bros game. And hell, there are like, 5 of them on the 3DS, right? And a bunch of old super mario bros games on the 3DS virtual console?

#85 Edited by BooDoug187 (344 posts) -
#86 Posted by Sammann31415 (67 posts) -

We have only a very limited time today to show you way too much Batman: Arkham City and a group of tech demos arranged as a carnival, so we'll skip over Mario, a price point, or a release date, and get right to the BAT Meter. Reminds me of their 2003 showing, which featured GBA connectivity to Gamecube, and Pac-Man.

#87 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

I don't think they'll show much more around the time that gamescom and the Tokyo Game Show are happening, but having those two events later in the year meant they didn't have to reveal a price or release date yet.

#88 Posted by KoolAid (914 posts) -

I was under the impression that they said the wiiU would only have one tablet at first, and people thought that was stupid, so now they say two tablets? Isn't that what happened?

#89 Posted by Jetfire (9 posts) -

This was the conference. The one where Nintendo would show us the direction of the industry as they've done so many times before. Instead what we got was a poor example of where Nintendo as a company is even headed. The 3DS proved that a system launch poorly supported by first party software is, at best, a dicey prospect. Not revealing a launch date and price point only exacerbates this issue. Here's hoping that the big N still is holding some aces in the sleeve, because otherwise the WiiU may be dead on arrival.

#90 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -

ahahahahahah best thumbnail

#91 Posted by Begilerath (175 posts) -

Developers: Ultimate, Unlimited, Unleashed, Unbound, Universe...All words I would prefer to simply putting "U" at the end of your game title.

I think the Nintendo conference was somewhat directed to investors to try and calm them. Because there are a lot of interesting things coming to the Wii U:

Rayman Legends

Assassins Creed III

Darksiders II

Aliens

Zombie U

Project P-100

In my opinion they should have focus more on this games instead of the investor friendly fitness, music games.

#92 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

@KoolAid said:

I was under the impression that they said the wiiU would only have one tablet at first, and people thought that was stupid, so now they say two tablets? Isn't that what happened?

Pretty much. I wouldn't be surprised if some third parties, like an EA, told them they needed to at least support two. Madden isn't a game I play to begin with, but it seemed dumb to only support one when it seems like a natural fit for that series.

#93 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

That dad was the creepiest son of a bitch ever.

#94 Posted by KidA (71 posts) -

This company is clearly delusional.

Can't wait for the Zelda announcement next year so all the fanboys can say "SEE! SEE!"

#95 Posted by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

Wii U is looking to be reminiscent of 3DS. Somehow, I don't think Xbox 720 and PS4 are going to roll over as easy as the Vita did, MS and Sony have too much to lose. Nintendo would've greatly benefitted from a 2006, heck even a 2010 quality conference would've made them seem more stable. My mind is full of fuck.

#96 Posted by Tesla (1919 posts) -

That thumbnail taken out of context looks like a diarrhea related videogame.

#97 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -

I didn't really miss much then.

#98 Posted by Terranova (586 posts) -

@Sergio said:

I don't think they'll show much more around the time that gamescom and the Tokyo Game Show are happening, but having those two events later in the year meant they didn't have to reveal a price or release date yet.

yeah but how many people pay attention to those shows more than E3 not many.. E3 is the biggest show there is and more global, TGS and Gamescon don't have the media attention they once did they certainly don't have the TV coverage etc, says it all about Nintendo now when they pick a lesser show to announce something as important as the price and release date you wouldn't see Microsoft or Sony doing that.

#99 Posted by l4wd0g (1935 posts) -

Nintendo, 'DILFs are a thing now.'

#100 Posted by KaneRobot (1541 posts) -

Most of the excitement is over. See you next year, where hopefully I won't feel crushing depression after seeing everyone's press conference.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.