Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo's first mobile game is..... a Mii app?

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By j_unit2008

So it looks like during an investor's meeting, Nintendo spoke about their first game and they're calling it Miitomo.

It's like emojis, but better!
    It's like emojis, but better!

It appears that the concept is for it to be a social networking app where users creates Miis that can communicate with each other.

Here's a short excerpt from the Kotaku article (The link is at the bottom for those that want to read it):

In Miitomo, each player first makes their own Mii. Then, players are asked a series of questions and based on those answers, they communicate with other Miis.

Think of it as a social networking game, but for Miis. Or a new incarnation of the game Tomodachi Life.

This communication app is used with Nintendo’s new service, My Nintendo. According to Nintendo, that service is described as a way to bridge consoles and smartphone devices.

I'm actually quite surprised they didn't go with Mario, their most iconic character for their first game. I understand that there's a lot of value for companies in social networking, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of a standalone app for that function especially when the scene around social networking apps already feels so bloated.

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-first-mobile-game-is-called-miitomo-out-in-2-1739290330?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I might mess around with this for a bit just to see what it is.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm just glad it wasn't a bad crappy port of something. It doesn't look half bad, but since I'm not much into social media of any kind I might not do much with it. I'll give it a shot though!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think it's smarter than Nintendo trying to shoehorn their IPs onto mobile. They're using this opportunity to understand the platform they're developing for, creating content based on the platform specifically.

The result will be a game that appeals to a large portion of the demographic on mobile (females), relies on sharing culture and a monetization strategy involves character customization -- that's huge. This goes back to what Nintendo did years ago with their whole blue ocean strategy. It fits that umbrella perfectly.

If people think we're going to get a standard Mario, Zelda, etc on mobile you're going to be really disappointed.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#6 riostarwind  Moderator

This really doesn't look like a app I would mess around with at all. Since it is Nintendo's first attempt at a phone app I'll at least check it out.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Wikitoups

Make sense to have a mii maker/tomodachi app first.

Can't wait to see all the twitpics of miis saying dumb shit!

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A smartphone version of something like Tomodachi Life could have some potential.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm glad the Kotaku article mentions Tomodachi Life, because that's the first thing I thought of after I saw this. If they put in even half the weirdness that game had into this I'll be all over it.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading the Kotaku Review of what Tomodachi Life even is I guess this makes sense for them.

I still want to see what they can do with a single touchscreen, though. The last couple generations have been about them making wacky new controllers but this time they've been handed a touchscreen and some motion sensors (So maybe not so different from Wii U gamepad?) someone else had cooked up. If there isn't some kind of mechanic to learn there's just no draw for me.

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Pokemon Shuffle already out? Does that not count as a Nintendo game?

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading the Kotaku Review of what Tomodachi Life even is I guess this makes sense for them.

If you're a premium member and you're not familiar with Tomodachi Life, you might be interested in this.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@top8gamer: Technically yes, but those weren't done in partnership with DeNA. From my understanding that was developed and published by The Pokemon Company and Nintendo wasn't involved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.