Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

No Successor to Wii Anytime Soon

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Regginald Fils-Aime has been speaking to Business Week about the successor to Nintendo's Wii. 

Thanks to Business Week:

Nintendo: No Wii Successor Anytime Soon
    Posted by: Cliff Edwards on January 13

Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime says don’t count on Nintendo introducing an update to its hit Wii videogame console, or new system, in the coming months.

Sony and Microsoft plan to challenge rival Nintendo’s dominance of the current console generation with add-ons they hope will deliver a more sophisticated take on motion control than the motion-sensing technology in the three-year-old Wii. But Fils-Aime, in an interview with Bloomberg BusinessWeek, said: “We are confident the Wii home entertainment console has a very long life in front of it.”

The Japanese videogame maker is betting that upcoming installments of its franchise hits Metroid Prime and Super Mario will reinvigorate the red-hot sales that kept the console in short supply for the first two years of its life.

Nintendo in October issued its first profit warning in six years as sales slowed sharply and the strength of the Yen, relative to the currencies of the U.S. dollar and other countries where it sells its products, sapped profits.

Industry watchers and analysts have been speculating for months that Nintendo is prepping an update to the Wii that offers more sophisticated high-definition gaming. Sony, which already has HD gaming on its PlayStation 3, this year also plans to release software that will allow PS3 owners to watch movies and play games in 3-D. The PS3 has seen a surge in sales after Sony cut the price of its base model and introduced a slimmer version of the game system.

Nintendo on Jan. 13 hoped to counter recent moves by Sony and Microsoft to transform their consoles from gaming consoles into home entertainment platforms by announcing that it will let members this spring stream Netflix movies and TV episodes to the televisions via the Wii console.

To watch content, Wii users will need a special “instant-streaming” disc that Netflix will mail out to members who request a copy. They will then be able to use the Wii’s motion controller to navigate through their Netflix account and pick what they want to watch.

Microsoft has long offered the ability to stream Netflix through the Xbox 360 as part of a premium service plan in its Xbox Live online platform, while Sony recently began delivering the same service under similar conditions to the Nintendo agreement.

With the outcome of this generation’s console wars still very much in doubt as each manufacturer races to up the ante, many analysts believe it’s only a matter of time before Nintendo is forced to add new technology instead of new software to the Wii.

Fils-Aime suggested no such announcement would be make at the upcoming Game Developers Conference in March in San Francisco but did not elaborate on the type of announcements Nintendo will make at the annual gaming confab, the E3 Expo, in mid-June.

My own guess is they'll announce the new console during Q1-2011 at the earliest.  
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By ZenaxPure

Not really surprising news. I don't expect a new console at all this year, but I think they really should bring something out 2011 Fall. It's not like the 360 or PS3 are going anywhere soon so bringing out a 360 tech level console could potentially clean up that lack of third party support people like to toss around and it could be more similar to last generation where most multiplat games came out on all consoles.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:

"   With the outcome of this generation’s console wars still very much in doubt as each manufacturer races to up the ante, many analysts believe it’s only a matter of time before Nintendo is forced to add new technology instead of new software to the Wii. "

I very much doubt it is very much in doubt.  Even if Nintendo stopped manufacturing the Wii today, it will still win.  Position 2 is still up for grabs, but I confidently predict the the PS3 will do it comfortably as the 360 just grinds on slowly. 

I agree that about Q1-2011 LS, for all of them, probably including the DS and PSP as well, with a launch maybe late 2012.  If anyone jumps early, it will be MS again as they will be the one dying the quickest (in hardware sales).
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

Damn, that sucks, I was really hoping they would release a new console SOON, this gimmicky motion control crap doesn't fly with me at all, hopefully when they make a new console it won't be just constant gimmick barrages.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    " Damn, that sucks, I was really hoping they would release a new console SOON, this gimmicky motion control crap doesn't fly with me at all, hopefully when they make a new console it won't be just constant gimmick barrages. "
    It certainly didn't take long for the usual troll to find this thread.
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Emandudeguyperson
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Emandudeguyperson said:
    " Damn, that sucks, I was really hoping they would release a new console SOON, this gimmicky motion control crap doesn't fly with me at all, hopefully when they make a new console it won't be just constant gimmick barrages. "
    It certainly didn't take long for the usual troll to find this thread. "
    You're a troll.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThomasP
    @Hailinel said:
    It certainly didn't take long for the usual troll to find this thread. "
    lol

On topic, I think it will be a while. My guess would be 2012. I'm sure they'll focus on the launch of a new portable system first.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    That's a pretty stupid thing to say.  You obviously don't like the Wii so why would care if and when an HD version comes out?  Motion Control isn't a gimmick, it's a feature of the Wii.  Kinda like how trolling isn't clever, it's a feature of those who lack intellect.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    That's a pretty stupid thing to say.  You obviously don't like the Wii so why would care if and when an HD version comes out?  Motion Control isn't a gimmick, it's a feature of the Wii.  Kinda like how trolling isn't clever, it's a feature of those who lack intellect. "
    Finally, we agree on something.  It is possible.  In Emans case though, we are talking about a 13 year old kid with a fetish for sex with Pokemon characters, so maybe he will attain a level of intellect some point in the future.  We can only hope.  Until then, we usually just laugh at him, like an annoying cousin who won't go away.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Fallen189
    @oldschool said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    That's a pretty stupid thing to say.  You obviously don't like the Wii so why would care if and when an HD version comes out?  Motion Control isn't a gimmick, it's a feature of the Wii.  Kinda like how trolling isn't clever, it's a feature of those who lack intellect. "
    Finally, we agree on something.  It is possible.  In Emans case though, we are talking about a 13 year old kid with a fetish for sex with Pokemon characters, so maybe he will attain a level of intellect some point in the future.  We can only hope.  Until then, we usually just laugh at him, like an annoying cousin who won't go away. "
    Oh, it's on.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    Finally, we agree on something.  It is possible.  In Emans case though, we are talking about a 13 year old kid with a fetish for sex with Pokemon characters, so maybe he will attain a level of intellect some point in the future.  We can only hope.  Until then, we usually just laugh at him, like an annoying cousin who won't go away. "
    Oh, it's on. "
    Maybe he will send me yet another PM telling me I am a douchebag and that he hates me.  I enjoy those PMs and I haven't had one for a couple of weeks  ^-^
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldschool said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    Oh, it's on. "
    Maybe he will send me yet another PM telling me I am a douchebag and that he hates me.  I enjoy those PMs and I haven't had one for a couple of weeks  ^-^ "
    How's this? I just flagged all of your comments, you fucking Nintendo fanboy tool.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    Oh, it's on. "
    Maybe he will send me yet another PM telling me I am a douchebag and that he hates me.  I enjoy those PMs and I haven't had one for a couple of weeks  ^-^ "
    How's this? I just flagged all of your comments, you fucking Nintendo fanboy tool. "
    I am waiting for my ban then.  Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.  Could you send me one more PM before I go  :-)
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    Oh, it's on. "
    How's this? I just flagged all of your comments, you fucking Nintendo fanboy tool. "
    What exactly are you flagging me for?  I think the mods are smart enough to work out who's the real troll in this conversation. 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    Oh, it's on. "
    What exactly are you flagging me for?  I think the mods are smart enough to work out who's the real troll in this conversation.  "
    Nah, he's flagging me.  I am his arch nemesis.  I upset him when I laughed at him once upon a time  :/
    Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

Good, shit I'm just about to buy one soon.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rmills87

Not really surprised...there is still a lot to be done for the Wii!
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By demontium

Good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.