The best console Nintendo ever made?

• 89 results
#51 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

It's so hard to pick! Which of these is the joke answer? GameCube? Wii U? You really dropped the ball by not including Virtual Boy.

#52 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Don't see why sales numbers even matter. I vote Dreamcast

#53 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Definitely SNES.

#54 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

SNES is the only correct answer.

#55 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I voted SNES.

I also love me some N64 and Gamecube.

#56 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

It's so hard to pick! Which of these is the joke answer? GameCube? Wii U? You really dropped the ball by not including Virtual Boy.

Sheesh man, let it go. I apologised already! I figured there were only 5 sold as it is. And don't you joke about the Gamecube. Best console ever. The Wii-U is the joke answer.

@Cube said:

Don't see why sales numbers even matter. I vote Dreamcast

Just facts for the sake of facts. Nintendo Dreamcast? Mmmmmm, I don't remember that one.

#57 Posted by supermonkey122 (818 posts) -

I say the N64

#58 Posted by Scrawnto (2450 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Never in my life touched or played a Nintendo console/game. PC gamer since I was 4!

I've also been playing PC games as long as I can remember. However, I also had sisters who wanted to surf the web, which meant I didn't have exclusive access to a computer until I was in high school and one of them went to college. In between turns with the PC, I played console games.

The SNES still has my favorite D-Pad of all time, as well as two of my top five favorite games. It gets my vote.

#59 Edited by awadnin (275 posts) -

Two words Super Nintendo

#60 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I voted for the Wii cause i like being a dick.

#61 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I voted for the Wii cause i like being a dick.

No, you aren't being a dick, you are just accepting that the Wii is an awesome console. Good for you!

#62 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

I got the most out of the N64, so I'll vote that.

#63 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

The N64 was the first console I got to own, and I've had a lot of good memories with it. It doesn't have many games, but the ones that are good were the best console experiences at the time.

#64 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11068 posts) -

I know most other people won't vote for it, so I have to.

GAMECUBE FOR LIFE.

It's indigo, not purple. Also, handle. And disc trays the way I like them: Button that pops a cover up. Can totally open it with no power. The way it should be!

#65 Posted by Hunter5024 (5691 posts) -

If the systems had no 3rd party games then I would say N64 just because of the Zeldas and Mario for that system, but I couldnt not choose snes with all the great rpgs I love on there.

#66 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Turok. Some great games on that N64 console. Plus it was in 3D.

#67 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Good to see everyone realizes that the SNES is the greatest. Easily my favorite console of all time.

#68 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

If I was a smartass I would say the Wii U as it is the most technically advanced of all the consoles and thus performs the best and has the most advanced feature-set.

Obviously you are talking about which one had the best success with best library of games and such and honestly I would either say NES or SNES, with NES slightly budging over because of how much of an effect it had in gaming as well as how much it has affected our gaming culture overall.

#69 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Super Nintendo. Nothing even close.

#70 Edited by Bribo (605 posts) -

Fuck, shit bollocks - a pox on on these stupid polls. Stop making me pick a favourite.

I chose DS, after much soul searching. I'll probably spend my weekend wringing my hands and regretting not going with N64 or Wii.

The real kicker is that you don't give a fuck what I think is best. You've already made that decision yourself. I have to live with these consoles. They're all sitting on a shelf right now, glaring at me, accusing me, threatening to blow a chip because I don't appreciate them enough.

(Not the NES, GB or GBA. Never owned them)

#71 Posted by face15 (1301 posts) -

SNES. Obviously.

#72 Posted by TheHT (11300 posts) -

SNES is the one I had and loved but there was always something about the NES that to this day I really really like, and I know it's not those painful controllers.

#73 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

I know most other people won't vote for it, so I have to.

GAMECUBE FOR LIFE.

It's indigo, not purple. Also, handle. And disc trays the way I like them: Button that pops a cover up. Can totally open it with no power. The way it should be!

Gamecube was awesome, fuck the haters!

Don't forget that a ton of awesome SNES games were re released on the GBA.

BOOM!

God, gamecube was ridiculous in all the right ways.

#74 Posted by Turambar (6786 posts) -

Either the SNES or the DS.

#75 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1793 posts) -

Historically and/or in terms of importance? NES.

Just a damn great period in gaming and Nintendo dominance? SNES.

@Cincaid said:

Grew up with a NES and later SNES, and my nostalgia votes on SNES. Still remember how freaking ecstatic me and my older brother was when we got one for christmas the same year it was released. We played F-Zero for days on end! And yes, I'm old! Born 1982.

Great. Another one of my clones got out. Back in the cage!

#76 Posted by believer258 (11929 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@Video_Game_King said:

SNES.

Don't worry, I caught your mistake and fixed it.

Good man!

The SNES, obviously. Even if I do bash Nintendo a bit here and there, there will always be a soft little spot in my soul for their systems up to this point. And out of all of them, the SNES is just the hands-down winner. The DS and Game Boy Advance tie for second and the Gamecube and N64 ties for third. The Wii gets special mention because of its backwards compatibility, but then gets a warning glare for its huge amount of shovelware. And the NES, while fun, just can't quite measure up to its successors. I don't feel that the 3DS has been out quite long enough to be judged properly yet.

#77 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Good man!

He is no good man, good sir. He is a wanton rebel.

#78 Posted by believer258 (11929 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

Good man!

No authority in this or any universe can knock Super Metroid from its rightful place on top of the SNES games pile.

#79 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

Good man!

No authority in this or any universe can knock Super Metroid from its rightful place on top of the SNES games pile.

Even though I just did?

#80 Posted by believer258 (11929 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

Good man!

Even though I just did?

How d'ya figure?

#81 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

Given the time, I'm in a pretty Alice in Wonderland mood, so I'll just end this argument by saying that all ways are my way. So even if you say that Super Metroid is better, that somehow morphs into exactly the opposite.

#82 Posted by GnomeonFire (746 posts) -

Voted for the Gameboy, it just felt right.

#83 Posted by believer258 (11929 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258:

Given the time, I'm in a pretty Alice in Wonderland mood, so I'll just end this argument by saying that all ways are my way. So even if you say that Super Metroid is better, that somehow morphs into exactly the opposite.

So it's opposite day for you? Which is a logical impossibility. You can't say that it's opposite day on the appointed day, else it becomes the opposite of opposite day, which is to say that it isn't opposite at all. If you say that it isn't opposite day, which in fact would be how to notify someone that it is opposite day, then no one will know that you actually meant the opposite of what you said because they don't know that it's opposite day unless the other person in question also celebrates opposite day on the same day that you do. Since so few people actually celebrate this holiday, and fewer appoint the same day, then this probability is low. The only hole left to plug in my logic is "what if you tell them the day before"? But that particular hole doesn't matter in this context, because at this moment you are telling me that it is opposite day, which if in fact it is, I have to accept that it isn't because the opposite of being opposite day is not opposite day, and for this reason Super Metroid must still remain on top of the SNES pile.

You aren't the only one that can use insane troll logic.

#84 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

I never said that it was Opposite Day; I merely said that "Super Metroid is better than Seisen no Keifu" becomes "Seisen no Keifu is better than Super Metroid". Again, all ways are my way. Also:

Therefore, I win.

#85 Posted by believer258 (11929 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258:

I never said that it was Opposite Day; I merely said that "Super Metroid is better than Seisen no Keifu" becomes "Seisen no Keifu is better than Super Metroid". Again, all ways are my way. Also:

Therefore, I win.

Again, all ways are my way.

This is disproven by several different facts.

1) Hauser is Quaid, and Quaid is Hauser. Therefore, all ways are not your ways.

2) Just as you can get vegetables from eating steak, no one person or thing's ways are everyone's ways.

3) This final one is best proven by a picture because space is the greatest nothing there has ever been:

#86 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11068 posts) -

@Saethir: Oh, I know it. My GameBoy Player is still plugged into it! Made it even more cube-shaped.

#87 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I voted N64 but then I might want to say GameBoy SP. The N64 is probably the winner for me, their may not have been too many games but I could easily name 10 5 star N64 games.

#88 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Surprised by the lack of GBA love. It's just a portable SNES with--arguably--a lot more games. Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, ports of pretty much every key SNES game, Mario Kart, Pokemon, etc. Perhaps it's because I grew up without a SNES, but it's the system that really got me into gaming. And who can deny the perfection of the clamshell SP's design?

#89 Posted by Vextroid (1405 posts) -

SNES of course.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.