Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

The Wii Story

chibiodgiek18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By chibiodgiek18

So here it is, my history with the Nintendo Wii haha:

When the Nintendo Wii was first announced I instantly fell in love (Being a "diehard" Nintendo fan) and I just loved its idea of innovating the gaming industry through new control, not better graphics. I took SO MUCH crap at school for being a Wii fan, of course I was told on a daily basis how great the PS3 and 360 were but I stuck with it, never one to stray from my home team. This didn't mean I was a total Nintendo idiot, I still played other systems and read gaming magazines cover to cover, I just loved the Wii.

In November I waited about 13 Hours in line to get the Wii on launch day. Our local Rhino's had only 6 in stock, and I was number 3 in line. It was pretty fun, we just stood around the whole time playing DS and waiting until finally I got my hands on the little thing. With Wii Sports and Twilight Princess in my collection, I don't think I came out of my room for a solid week haha. I loved the Wii and I slowly added games to my collection such as: Super Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero 3 and Aerosmith, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Trauma Center 1 & 2, Dance Dance Revolution, and so much more. I played it everyday until I noticed one day at Gamestop it was getting increasingly harder to find the good games amongst "We Ski" and "Family Circus" and "Jenga". Had the Wii, my ultimate system, really sold out to little toy companies trying to sell collections of minigames at $50 a pop? And of course the accesory plauge. I love how versatile the controller was, but truthfully I don't want to switch to a steering wheel, gun, Wii Fit pad, or (god forbid) a pulse monitor everythime I switch games. But I could deal with this, especially with Metroid Prime 3 and Madworld right around the corner...

Then that fateful day arrived. I had just got home from work, ready to play a little Super Mario Galaxy and I powered up my Wii to find it wouldn't play my disc...! "Oh well maybe my disc is dirty?" I thought and cleaned it off, still no luck. So I tried some other games, still no luck. I called Nintendo, my warranty had just run out months before, so it would be about $100 with shipping and all to get it fixed. At the time I was saving for my trip to Japan so I couldn't fix it then. The Wii went under my bed and stayed there over the months while I played my 360.

Later on a boring day I decided to try to fix it myself, I was pretty sure it was just a dirty laser, so after tinkering and cleaning for hours with nothing working still, I decided to just break the thing. I couldn't send it in anymore with a voided warranty, and if I ever wanted one again, I would just go buy a new one that I was sure would work.

So here comes the main point of this rant- That day has come! E3 showed me Metroid Prime Trilogy, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Galaxy, and even a new Zelda teaser. I want my Wii back, I can deal with the slew of crappy games on the shelf, and then many accesories that I won't even use. I can deal with rehashes of old games as "new play control" and dorky friend codes. I just want to play the games I love again. But $250 is actually a little bit for me to go drop for a system again, especially with all of my money right now going toward college. I would never let my 360 go, but what about my DSi? I love the little thing, but truthfully I don't play it that much. I have an Ipod Touch for when I'm on the go, it even has some games on it. But if i let go of the DS, I would let go of Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and a bunch of other great games you can't experience anywhere else!

Maybe I should just slowly save up and buy a new Wii myself, thats what I'm leaning towards. But could I get any help with this decision? :]

chibiodgiek18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By chibiodgiek18

So here it is, my history with the Nintendo Wii haha:

When the Nintendo Wii was first announced I instantly fell in love (Being a "diehard" Nintendo fan) and I just loved its idea of innovating the gaming industry through new control, not better graphics. I took SO MUCH crap at school for being a Wii fan, of course I was told on a daily basis how great the PS3 and 360 were but I stuck with it, never one to stray from my home team. This didn't mean I was a total Nintendo idiot, I still played other systems and read gaming magazines cover to cover, I just loved the Wii.

In November I waited about 13 Hours in line to get the Wii on launch day. Our local Rhino's had only 6 in stock, and I was number 3 in line. It was pretty fun, we just stood around the whole time playing DS and waiting until finally I got my hands on the little thing. With Wii Sports and Twilight Princess in my collection, I don't think I came out of my room for a solid week haha. I loved the Wii and I slowly added games to my collection such as: Super Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero 3 and Aerosmith, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Trauma Center 1 & 2, Dance Dance Revolution, and so much more. I played it everyday until I noticed one day at Gamestop it was getting increasingly harder to find the good games amongst "We Ski" and "Family Circus" and "Jenga". Had the Wii, my ultimate system, really sold out to little toy companies trying to sell collections of minigames at $50 a pop? And of course the accesory plauge. I love how versatile the controller was, but truthfully I don't want to switch to a steering wheel, gun, Wii Fit pad, or (god forbid) a pulse monitor everythime I switch games. But I could deal with this, especially with Metroid Prime 3 and Madworld right around the corner...

Then that fateful day arrived. I had just got home from work, ready to play a little Super Mario Galaxy and I powered up my Wii to find it wouldn't play my disc...! "Oh well maybe my disc is dirty?" I thought and cleaned it off, still no luck. So I tried some other games, still no luck. I called Nintendo, my warranty had just run out months before, so it would be about $100 with shipping and all to get it fixed. At the time I was saving for my trip to Japan so I couldn't fix it then. The Wii went under my bed and stayed there over the months while I played my 360.

Later on a boring day I decided to try to fix it myself, I was pretty sure it was just a dirty laser, so after tinkering and cleaning for hours with nothing working still, I decided to just break the thing. I couldn't send it in anymore with a voided warranty, and if I ever wanted one again, I would just go buy a new one that I was sure would work.

So here comes the main point of this rant- That day has come! E3 showed me Metroid Prime Trilogy, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Galaxy, and even a new Zelda teaser. I want my Wii back, I can deal with the slew of crappy games on the shelf, and then many accesories that I won't even use. I can deal with rehashes of old games as "new play control" and dorky friend codes. I just want to play the games I love again. But $250 is actually a little bit for me to go drop for a system again, especially with all of my money right now going toward college. I would never let my 360 go, but what about my DSi? I love the little thing, but truthfully I don't play it that much. I have an Ipod Touch for when I'm on the go, it even has some games on it. But if i let go of the DS, I would let go of Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and a bunch of other great games you can't experience anywhere else!

Maybe I should just slowly save up and buy a new Wii myself, thats what I'm leaning towards. But could I get any help with this decision? :]

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

you really aren't missing that much right now..im currently saving up for a ps3 and trust me its a more painful experience.

the only thing i see that might be worth buying a wii for right now is the metroid: other M game..which is coming in 2010 so you have plenty of time.

my advise? don't sell any of your systems or handhelds... i sold my 360 for the wii and regretted it a week later. slowly save up if you must get a wii

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I would do what you suggested, and slowly save up for one over time. I've noticed that finding a new Wii has become quite easy now, probably due to slowing demand and the economy, and the new lineup of games showcased at E3 gives you more than a good reason to pick one up now. Still wish they would release it in different colors though...

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By eric_buck

Strange. Your wii broke and you started playing 360. It's usually the other way around.... anyways at least it doesn't break as much as the 3shitsty. I'd sell the 360...

HobbitJacob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By HobbitJacob

I dunno bro. I'd probably sell the DSi. You never play it anyway haha.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

Oh man and Wii Sports Resort is just around the corner. I bought Tiger Woods 10 w/ Motion Plus and it works... sad day.

creamclouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By creamclouds
    I was gonna go long, but I'll throw you a short ball. Just save up slowly and keep the DSi. When are those Wii games coming exactly? And from what I've read, you don't want the next Wii dying on you before you get to play those titles ^_^
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Kazona

I would slowly save up and eventually buy yourself a new Wii. It's not like those games are going to be coming out right now. I think if you save up about 50 bucks a month then you'll have the money for a new Wii in time for those new games.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @chibiodgiek18 said:
    When the Nintendo Wii was first announced I instantly fell in love (Being a "diehard" Nintendo fan) and I just loved its idea of innovating the gaming industry through new control, not better graphics. I took SO MUCH crap at school for being a Wii fan, of course I was told on a daily basis how great the PS3 and 360 were but I stuck with it, never one to stray from my home team.
    I definitely know what you mean. Back in middle/high school I felt like the loyal resistance to the group of lemmings that deemed Nintendo "kiddy" and the Gamecube the "Gaycube". Of course the internet has taught me that there are plenty of idiots on all sides, but there are still some people like that out there.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jeffgoldblum

A little advice dont sell your old consoles to get new ones. You will regret it. I did it alot when I was a kid and I sure do.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Meowayne

Yup. I sold my Dreamcast. Can you imagine it! I wish I still had it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.