Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

What series' (1st and 3rd party) does Nintendo need for NX?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jointron33

Let's be honest, if ol' Ninty keeps up with their little trend of having their consoles basically be houses for their own IPs, the doors will close. They need to court other developers, namely for franchises that were once at home on Nintendo consoles. Thus, I will throw my hat into the ring and spitball some ideas for games that could help make their next console a success. Comment if you agree/disagree, and with your own ideas for new 1st party IPs and games from existing IPs from other companies. Also, some of this is pure pipe dream, and would never happen, but a person can dream, eh?

What Nintendo should/could/would/will bring to the table:

2d AND 3d Mario: I would venture to say that they will make not only a successor to the 3D Land/World titles, but also a 3d Mario in the vein of 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1 and 2. A sidescrolling Mario game is also more than likely possible, with Nintendo ideally creating every way possible to please fans of their biggest franchises. Mario Kart is also a guarantee.

2d AND 3d Zelda: Like Mario, Nintendo will try to capitalize on this franchises success, with not only the next gen planned Wii U Zelda that is more than likely postponed to NX, but also a potential Zelda game similar to to the top down entries. A sequel to Hyrule Warriors is also a possibility.

New Donkey Kong Country

New Kirby

New Yoshi

NECESSITY: New F-Zero: due to its hard rock/techno soundtrack as well as art style and designs far removed from the likes of Mario and Kirby, F-Zero is one IP that has not only been highly unused, but also could help remove the stigma of Nintendo being "kiddy". It would thus provide a non-kiddy alternative to Mario Kart.

NECESSITY: 3d AND POSSIBLY 2d Metroid: Like F-Zero, Nintendo MUST use this IP to diversify their brand, and the darker, much more violent themes, as well as H.R. Giger inspired designs would easily due the trick. The main title could be a 3d fps or even tps. To make up for lost time and capitalize on potential success, a 2d game might also be made, though it may be for the then to be released 3ds successor.

Xenoblade title: A not so kiddy ARPG in a world where everyone is trying to be a western rpg? Easy money.

Golden Sun: A turn based affair that could bring in more classic jrpg fans.

OTHER COMPANIES IPs

Darkstalkers: If Capcom ever makes a new installment, the cartoony artstyle would feel right at home on a Nintendo console, and supply a fighting game alternative to their own Smash Bros.

Entries in franchises such as Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei (including Persona), Dragon Quest, Tales of, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear, Sonic the Hedgehog, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Tekken, King of Fighters, Bayonetta, Mega Man would also highly sweeten the deal, given some of those IPs new titles, while diversifying Nintendo's software. The key is to make these exclusive titles, as well as GOOD, in the case of Sonic. While not exactly AAA, these are known franchises that would bring in money, both through their sales and through selling consoles. Nintendo needs titles like this, because they can't rely on a gimmick like they did with the Wii U, especially if they stay hellbent on staying graphically dated.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By paulmako

With regards to games, it's tough to say what they 'need'. I would love to play a brand new F-Zero title in HD but the Gamecube version didn't do well enough for them to have made a sequel. And the Wii certainly did fine without it.

The only things they 100% need would be a Mario Kart and some core Mario platformer, a 3D Zelda and a Smash Bros title. And Animal Crossing.

They don't need a new Metroid, they don't need a new Golden Sun (I honestly forgot Golden Sun existed), they probably don't need a new Kirby.

Third party games? Not really sure. A decent selection of indie titles would be nice, if they courted devs like Sony is doing with the PS4.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: all of the things you said they need, the wii u has. And it still sells about as well as fart in a jar.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Giant_Gamer

1) They need to make gimmicks as a secondary rather than primary.

2) Multiplatform games on their console, Seriously wiiU have so many games that are exclusively NOT! on it. That is really weird...

Edit: 3) Multiplatform games should have the same experience on other platforms or better. We all don't want to see "special versions" for Nintendo consoles.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really speculate til I know what the console's purpose and capabilities are.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Peter Molyneux's Milo.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giant_gamer: this will all hinge on whether or not they'll let developers get a look at the hardware. Since the GameCube, their persistence at keeping developers in the dark concerning hardware has kept 3rd part input to a standstill

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Duke Nukem Forever: REMASTERED HD

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No specific series. Just good games.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By monkeyking1969

To be honest Nintendo has a few choices, but each choice means a different sort of machine and an adjustment in how they do business.

1) I hear people like Brad, Jeff, etc saying "Well, Nintendo cannot go toe-to-toe with Sony so therefore.....blah blah,blah." But really they COULD. Going toe-to-toe is what they were doing in the NES and SNES era, right? In fourth gen, Nintendo was fighting toe to toe game for games and sales with Sega and (to a lesser but significant extent) NEC and SNK. So modern Nintendo could go toe to toe with the main part of the market and earn 3rd parties on merit Moreover they don't need to ramp up R&D or hire better engineers. Foxconn designs the Xboxes (Xboxen?) not Microsoft . It is Foxconn that plans the PCB, choose part placement, cooling plan (whoops 360 owners), and the whole 'damn' build - MS just choose the parts. Nintendo can do the same...they don't need in house expertise as some amazing level...just a fucking good idea for what they want. How it is crazy Microsoft goes toe-to-toe with something they barely design, but Nintendo simply can't? Please, mansplain that logic, when MS does not build or design the Xbox?

2) Nintendo can certainly go with a less powerful system, "doing their Nintendo way". But guess what needs to happen, for that to work? It needs to be cheap!

The NX needs to be $200-$230 if it will be less powerful and mostly have Nintendo games on it. If PS 5/Xboxen 4 is going to be $400, then Nintendo can't be selling it weak box out of the game for $350. There are rumors that NX won't even be as powerful as current PS4/XbOne, so they REALLY need to not come out at $350 if that is theirbullshit plan. If it IS a weird portable & home concept we are hearing whispered, then I would say $200 for the portable and $75 for the device it sits in (If sold together still Just $275, that is the limit in my mind) A system taht is $275 and plays teh Nintendo games nicely would work probably, it is a better idea then the $350 Wii U was by a country mile.

3) Nintendo could try another over priced, weird system with some sort of "gimmick" involved that is not on par with the systems everyone else is making. It is a BAD option, but it is an option. The gimmick woudl have to be really good, they woudl have to again lure not gamers to buy a systems like they did with Wii, but it would have to be a hell of an idea.

Nintendo can do whatever they want, there are many solutions, but each one is different and the only one that allows for selling $350 to $400 machines is going toe-to-toe with Sony/MS for all the marbles or making a freaky machine non-gamers want. That can't pick from Column A,Column B, and Column Ca all at once. Stick to it logical path of: Fast & cheap OR Capable (or Weird) & Expensive.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Metroid Prime Hunters

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Metroid Prime Federation Force

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought my WiiU exclusively for Bayonetta 2 and ended up picking up a couple other titles incidentally. If Nintendo keeps funding Platinum I will happily throw down for the hardware to play those games.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So modern Nintendo could go toe to toe with the main part of the market and earn 3rd parties on merit

I don't think they'll be able to accomplish that within the span of one generation. Since the N64 they've been struggling to maintain third party support, and more recently just don't seem to care anymore.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better Virtual Console. But that more applies for all their current products.
    Seriously though, if the 3DS got SNES games, I would very strongly consider buying it.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman: third party support is their fault. They keep the hardware from developers eyes

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Nintendo keep doing what Nintendo do best, I'll be fine with whatever NX is. I doubt they'll ever get as much 3rd party support as they used to. But their first party stuff is always great.

Just give me Mario Maker and Zelda U.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, as much as I love Metroid, after the revelation that that Donkey Kong Wii game (or Tropical Freeze or whatever) outsold all of Metroid Prime combined, I'm not so sure if I could honestly say they need a new console Metroid game. I would absolutely love one, but meh, I'd also settle for a 3DS game.

I do think they need a new Animal Crossing. Those sell extremely well, right? Plus, there's not a lot of (or really any I can think of) games out there like it.

But there's one series they need to bring back more than any other...

No Caption Provided

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#19 fisk0  Moderator

Rebelstar.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@monkeyking1969 said:

So modern Nintendo could go toe to toe with the main part of the market and earn 3rd parties on merit

I don't think they'll be able to accomplish that within the span of one generation. Since the N64 they've been struggling to maintain third party support, and more recently just don't seem to care anymore.

So if they can't do it in one generation it not worth doing?

I don't think you really believe that, but I can see where in this modern age we expect instant results. I think, as you might agree with as well, that Nintendo is sitting on a decent nest egg, they have a extremely lucrative brand. They likely do have time to tend a garden that will be fruitful for many more years with a toe-to-toe fight that take more than a generation to hit stride. But hand in hand with that I think they need be realistic that thet have a few workable paths, not just going toe-to-toe. But, their current path is not going to work without a huge gimick to make a less powerful system "seem" cooler.

I can easily see Nintendo going toe-to-toe with Sony if they made that move a priority with a powerful system, an easy OS, and 3rd party help. They can do it, they don't have to but they could. And, I think Nintendo going that would make Sony and MS piss their pants. I Nintendo that stands up for a blow for blow fight would not be a opponent I would want to face in gaming. I think Sony woudl rather go at it with Microsoft on a level paying field than trying that with Nintendo. "So they have Mario, Call of Duty, Mass Effect, and that latest e3 darling....damn that's a good lineup."

That's what I don't get people make this false dichotomy of Nintendo having Marios, Zelda, and Metroid meaning they can't have the best version of CoD, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect and Fallout too. There is no line in the sand, there is no either or that is hard to cross. Nintendo just simply has to give a damn about how other developers, other producers feel and do business. There is no wall, there is no either/or choice. As I said before, there isn't even a tech or know-how barrier to making a PS 5 rival, its just an act of will/vision.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Nux  Online

I would love to see more JRPGs on Nintendo platforms. The SNES was the golden age for JRPGs for a reason and Xenoblade Chronicles was a fantastic game.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman said:
    @monkeyking1969 said:

So if they can't do it in one generation it not worth doing?

I don't think you really believe that,

No that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying I wouldn't expect that to happen in the NX's lifespan, but it should be something they work towards fixing.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Animal Crossing might be good because of the increased connectivity would benefit it.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they refuse to diversify their own brands as well as allow those of others, their home consoles will die. Forever

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Metal Gear Solid.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously though, if the 3DS got SNES games, I would very strongly consider buying it.

I totally agree, except I already have a 3DS (actually I have two...). I don't really care about new Nintendo first party games, I play Nintendo games for their nostalgia and rarely try new games, with a few exceptions like Fire Emblem: Awakening, A Link Between Worlds and Bravely Default but even then they're either decade-old franchises or spiritual successors to older IPs.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared said:

I totally agree, except I already have a 3DS (actually I have two...). I don't really care about new Nintendo first party games, I play Nintendo games for their nostalgia and rarely try new games, with a few exceptions like Fire Emblem: Awakening, A Link Between Worlds and Bravely Default but even then they're either decade-old franchises or spiritual successors to older IPs.

To me it's baffling that they have the infrastructure in place for something like the Virtual Console but don't seem to make the best of it. I understand that they want to sell the Wii U, but it's a flimsy excuse for not having SNES or GBA games on the 3DS (outside of that ambassador stuff). I would seriously flip my shit if I could buy and play Superstar Saga on the 3DS, especially as original carts can be hard to come by.

Doesn't help that being an Australian sometimes products aren't available to me digitally just because. Happens all that time on PSN, our selection of PS2/1 games is rubbish compared to NA.

I also hope that in the future Nintendo rethinks it's policy on region-locking.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1st party?

3rd Party?

All they need is Mario party.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By probablytuna
    @probablytuna said:
    @adequatelyprepared said:

To me it's baffling that they have the infrastructure in place for something like the Virtual Console but don't seem to make the best of it. I understand that they want to sell the Wii U, but it's a flimsy excuse for not having SNES or GBA games on the 3DS (outside of that ambassador stuff). I would seriously flip my shit if I could buy and play Superstar Saga on the 3DS, especially as original carts can be hard to come by.

Doesn't help that being an Australian sometimes products aren't available to me digitally just because. Happens all that time on PSN, our selection of PS2/1 games is rubbish compared to NA.

I also hope that in the future Nintendo rethinks it's policy on region-locking.

Absolutely! Since their stance has changed on allowing Nintendo IPs on mobile devices, I'm hoping they would also reverse some of their more frustrating policies.

I also live in Australia, but I use the Hong Kong PSN which has even fewer selection of games (both old and new) partly because there's such a small team that handles that region. I still haven't been able to play games like Telltale's Game of Thrones and only got Transistor like six months after everyone else.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

1) They need to make gimmicks as a secondary rather than primary.

This should be priority 1.

I do want to see Nintendo improve in so many ways - but I don't want them to pretty much become another Xbox One or PS4.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By paulmako

@paulmako: all of the things you said they need, the wii u has. And it still sells about as well as fart in a jar.

I was trying to think of the key franchises that Nintendo seem to rely on to move units. This Polygon story from October 2014 showing that nearly half of Wii U owners also own Mario Kart 8, so it's safe to say that Nintendo 'needs it'. It's probably the closest thing they have to a killer app, except maybe Pokemon, which is how I interpreted your question.

@believer258 said:

I do want to see Nintendo improve in so many ways - but I don't want them to pretty much become another Xbox One or PS4.

This is kind of the problem with a question like this, where we don't know anything about the upcoming hardware. Surely the answer is just going to be 'everything that its competitors have plus Nintendo exclusives'.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels like whenever people presume to "coach" nintendo on what they "must" do, it really winds up being a list of the poster's wishes and doesn't really have Nintendo's best interests in mind at all.

"They NEED TO MAKE METROID" is one of those wish-list demands. Metroid really isn't that big a deal. People who love it, love it. That's awesome. I think it's great too. But it's not one of Nintendo's ace-in-the-holes and it never has been. Would a new Metroid be great on the new console? Sure. But so would a new Startropics.

Let's be honest: What Nintendo "needs" to have is a system seller. Just one. That's all it takes. They need a Wii Sports, a Goldeneye, a Mario 64 or a Smash Bros. Something nobody has seen before and sells units. That's what will really make the difference.

Personally I think they also need to invest in the burgeoning Japanese Indy community and buy up small "Nintendo-like-solutions". Leverage their Digipen investment and get senior classes pumping out small new IPs for download on a stable and friendly Nintendo e-shop.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ripelivejam

Metroid Prime: Blood in the Sand

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Becky Lynch for the N-Bex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.