What You Need to Know From Today’s Nintendo Direct

• 104 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3469 posts) -

There was yet another Nintendo Direct hosted today by Nintendo president, CEO, and huggable executive Satoru Iwata.

If you missed it, here was the news that came out of the latest stream.

Staff
#1 Posted by LiquidPenguins (181 posts) -

Where is the year of waluigi

#2 Posted by Morningstar (2139 posts) -

Super Mario Bros 3 on WiiU and 3DS! Allright :P

#3 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

Well thank God, at least the Year of Luigi will continue unabated.

#4 Posted by Forcen (1804 posts) -
#5 Edited by Skywarpgold (153 posts) -

The eShop update also includes a big change to the NintendoZone hotspots: People can now go to a hotspot and street pass with the last person to be at the hotspot, without actually being near that person. It's great for people who don't know other 3DS users:

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/nintendozone

#6 Posted by fargofallout (276 posts) -

Wow, glad I didn't spend any time watching that.

#7 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Why did they feel the need to confirm Luigi in Smash Bros? I thought it was just assumed that everyone who's been in every title since the N64 was going to be in this one too.

#8 Posted by Psychohead (140 posts) -

@chrismafuchris said:

Why did they feel the need to confirm Luigi in Smash Bros? I thought it was just assumed that everyone who's been in every title since the N64 was going to be in this one too.

I suspect they're just taking any excuse they can to mention the game, so as to keep people thinking about it. I agree, saying Luigi is gonna be in the game is about as revelatory as saying Ken will be in Street Fighter, but I suspect Nintendo is eager -- desperate even -- to remind people that Smash is coming.

#9 Posted by pyrodactyl (1882 posts) -

When the game was first announced they said they would trim the roster since it was becoming way to hard to properly balance the characters. Not sure what that means exactly but I don't like it.

#10 Posted by cloudyimpulse (207 posts) -

Let me know when I can get SNES virtual console games on my 3DS.

#11 Posted by Accolade (297 posts) -

Given the relative difficulty of making the most of Street Pass in even the largest metropolitan areas in the US, I'm glad that it works through Nintendo Zones now.

#12 Edited by MEATBALL (3060 posts) -

Was glad to get some solid release dates. Great to see that Layton vs Wright is getting a Western release, finally.

For real, in regards to the Virtual Console across 3DS/WiiU. It's a damn shame Nintendo aren't as competent as Sony are when it comes to their digital store.

#13 Posted by Toug (302 posts) -

@psychohead said:

@chrismafuchris said:

I suspect they're just taking any excuse they can to mention the game, so as to keep people thinking about it. I agree, saying Luigi is gonna be in the game is about as revelatory as saying Ken will be in Street Fighter, but I suspect Nintendo is eager -- desperate even -- to remind people that Smash is coming.

They're slowly unveiling characters, so the Directs are as good a place as any to do that.

#14 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

The biggest news isn't even mentioned here! RECCA coming to 3DS VC!!!

#15 Posted by whatisdelicious (1195 posts) -

@chrismafuchris said:

When the game was first announced they said they would trim the roster since it was becoming way to hard to properly balance the characters. Not sure what that means exactly but I don't like it.

Eh, my favorite has always been the original because I like the roster and the way the mechanics are tuned the best. They started piling on dumb clones of characters in subsequent releases, and as cool as it is on a "set up your wacky crossover dream match" level, it's pretty lazy and just complicates learning the game, learning the characters, and makes people really indecisive when selecting a character. I'm glad they're trimming it down.

#16 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3171 posts) -

Come on put out Zelda 1 on 3D Classics so I don't feel tempted to buy any VC games anymore except maybe Spelunker.

#17 Edited by Generic_username (591 posts) -

No new dungeons in Wind Waker, but they did announce the Swift Sail, which will travel at double speed, and doesn't force you to change the wind's direction, which will certainly help some of the pacing issues that the game has. Would still like to see the Triforce Shard quest replaced with... just about anything. That part is going to be rough no matter what.

#18 Posted by ch3burashka (5009 posts) -

In regards to WWHD, I recall reading that there will NOT be any new/cut dungeons for whatever technical or logistical reasons.

#19 Posted by RudeCubes (137 posts) -

@ch3burashka: They've stated that parts of those dungeons were reused in other games' dungeons. Makes sense to me.

#20 Posted by BisonHero (6159 posts) -

I really don't get what the fuck Level-5 is doing. I'm confused that they're finding the time to localize Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright just now, when they've already slacked off on it way too long.

Hell, Ace Attorney 5 will be out before PL vs. PW, when one of the biggest draws of PL vs. PW was that it was the first game starring Phoenix Wright to come out in a good long while. Instead, it loses that and now Level-5 is going to release two Professor Layton games in the same year, which is kinda pushing it.

#21 Posted by Generic_username (591 posts) -

Also Layton X Wright...

:')

#22 Edited by DrTran916 (20 posts) -

I've never been so underwhelmed with a system in my life. It's unfortunate, but whatever. I don't make video games so I don't know how much the whole business of getting third party titles slows down the creation of (good) first party titles, but I'll assume a lot to give the benefit of the doubt. Some say it's all over, but I believe they have at least one year...well, half a year to provide a reason for the purchase of their home system, cause obviously they're still making headline news and capturing the attention of their VERY patient audience. Make us proud Nintendo. Please?...

#23 Edited by harinosho (593 posts) -

Is it just me or is Nintendo using the Wii U console as a communications base for 3ds players?

#24 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

Sorry wii u owners about Rayman Legends... Here are some Mario and Luigi Costumes !! Sorry you wont be getting the Vita exclusive Levels - French guy from Ubisoft.

#25 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Seriously, Nintendo is fucked. They think giving Luigi a spotlight will help? The but the most telling thing is, that while I loved Wind Waker, how the hell do they think that a rerelease, not remake, of that game will help? Second holiday for this console and still no real new games. And maybe I am hating, because I remember how fucking sad I was knowing that Sega went out of the hardware business. But at least Nintendo is still strong in the handheld side, they show no signs of righting this ship like they did with the 3DS. Price for one. You can't sell a system which is less capable in terms of online features than the 360 or PS3 even if it comes with a tablet.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (23871 posts) -

"No big revelations", as if Layton vs. Wright isn't?

#27 Posted by SycoMantis91 (26 posts) -

@hailinel: To be fair, we all knew it was coming, and honestly, I personally figured 2014, and I'm sure a lot of people did.

#28 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

Man. Windwaker HD is sorely tempting me to get a Wii U.

#29 Posted by Ravelle (1185 posts) -

Flashcards like Supercard have all kinds of emulation, GBA, SNES, NES. You name it.

#30 Posted by joeshabadoo (247 posts) -

Link Between Worlds looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucking great

#31 Edited by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -
@bisonhero said:

I really don't get what the fuck Level-5 is doing. I'm confused that they're finding the time to localize Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright just now, when they've already slacked off on it way too long.

Hell, Ace Attorney 5 will be out before PL vs. PW, when one of the biggest draws of PL vs. PW was that it was the first game starring Phoenix Wright to come out in a good long while. Instead, it loses that and now Level-5 is going to release two Professor Layton games in the same year, which is kinda pushing it.

I'm about to talk out of my ass here, but...

If I had to guess, it probably all came down to money. Capcom wants their cut; Level-5 wants their cut; Nintendo, who publishes Layton outside Japan, almost certainly wanted a cut if it was going to be localized. I'm sure part of the delay had to do with negotiating contracts and figuring out who would get what money. Crossover games like this are kind of complicated on a rights end, dude.

#32 Edited by oasisbeyond (213 posts) -

Wow Mario Bros 3 is coming later this year! Wow, Nintendo sure knows how to keep things fresh.

#34 Edited by oasisbeyond (213 posts) -

Also... Are they gona fix wind Waker's left and right camera? It was inverted and nearly killed the game for me? Every game needs options to put the camera normal or inverted x and y... It sucked, but beautiful game. Sad it's the best game on wiiu and it's not even out yet lol.

#35 Posted by Haziqonfire (227 posts) -

Man, I was hoping they'd announce Link to the Past for the 3DS virtual console. I mean I could always get it on the Wii/Wii U, but ... I'd rather have it on the 3DS.

#36 Posted by Fallen189 (4940 posts) -

Nintendo are so fucking full of shit. "This game is coming out in 18 months, also Luigi in a game which is obvious and an old game making it onto the E-Shop, so you can buy it for the 19th time".

For someone who's been a nintendo fan for many years, I'm so fucking over them

#37 Posted by Hailinel (23871 posts) -

@sycomantis91: There was radio silence for so long that it really wasn't a sure thing.

#38 Posted by Carlos1408 (1490 posts) -

Instant gamer cred. dude!

#39 Posted by JoeRosa (88 posts) -

They already said there wasn't going to be any new dungeons since they were used for other games.

There is rumor of a harder mode. Not sure if debunked or confirmed.

#40 Posted by BBAlpert (1369 posts) -

@ravelle said:

@cloudyimpulse said:

Flashcards like Supercard have all kinds of emulation, GBA, SNES, NES. You name it.

They've got that stuff working now? Last I heard (which was over a year ago) there were still a bunch of compatibility issues... On second thought, maybe this isn't the best place to be talking about such matters.

#41 Posted by leinad44 (503 posts) -

They aren't gonna add dungeons for Wind Waker are they?

:(

#42 Edited by Sergotron (475 posts) -

Mario Galaxy 3 with Sonic.

#43 Edited by cloudyimpulse (207 posts) -

@bbalpert said:

@ravelle said:

@cloudyimpulse said:

They've got that stuff working now? Last I heard (which was over a year ago) there were still a bunch of compatibility issues... On second thought, maybe this isn't the best place to be talking about such matters.

Thought they firmware updated it so it doesn't work.

#44 Posted by soupbones (283 posts) -

You forgot to mention Summer Carnival 92' Recca - shooter fans (like me) have been waiting for a U.S. release of this for a while. Sucks it's not on the WiiU as well though...

#45 Edited by Kosayn (452 posts) -

'Sonic Galaxy' looks surprisingly not terrible. Weird to see them pimping that up front.

Layton Azran Legacy's winter setting, it set off some nostalgia for the opening of FF Tactics Advance for me. Weird.

RECCA... should be on a TV. Shooters in general should, but especially difficult ones. Still cool that they are exploring niche parts of Nintendo history.

In general, even though I don't have a Wii U and may not for a while... I'm starting to get a bit contrarian to popular opinion about how they're doing. This seems like plenty of Nintendo stuff to me. All that's really significantly absent is a US release of Mother 3.

I still think their Miiverse community is smart, and adding Animal Crossing to that after its success is also smart, and in general that fits Nintendo's plans to slowly cut out the middleman. The only innovation that I like as much from the other next gen consoles is the integrated streaming stuff.

#46 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

All I want from Nintendo is new smash information and lots of it. WW hd looks shiny.

#47 Edited by KDR_11k (127 posts) -

Who needs the NES version of Donkey Kong when you could get the Game Boy version?

#48 Posted by NowSayPillow (183 posts) -

Gimme that 3DS Zelda game. Give it to me NOW!

#49 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2133 posts) -

Those idiots at Nintendo won't even put the ambassador games up for sale.

#50 Posted by RudeCubes (137 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.