Why do Nintendo hate Luigi?

#1 Edited by Village_Guy (2533 posts) -

Nintendo have never treated Luigi the way he deserves, always coming in second place behind Mario, and more recently falling even further behind - all the way behind Wario and Waluigi.

Case in point, take a look at the Mario Party 9 box art, which is also a little game I like to call "Spot the Luigi!":

US Boxart: Can you find Luigi?
Japanese Boxart: Can you find Luigi here... (Hint: No, because he isn't on it!)

Is this really the treatment that Luigi deserves? Being left out on the Japanese Boxart and then just photoshopped into the background of the US Boxart? Is it? IS IT NINTENDO?!

Poor Luigi - the forgotten hero of Nintendo, even forgotten by his own abusive parent - Nintendo.

#2 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I think that is the point of Luigi, he is the bitch, he is supposed to be treated like shit. We all love him for it though.

#3 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Lol that is hilarious. He is trapped in the castle while everybody else goes to party.

#4 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

@Prodstep said:

I think that is the point of Luigi, he is the bitch, he is supposed to be treated like shit. We all love him for it though.

Exactly. For a long time he was nothing but a Mario clone. I think their idea of turning him into the whipping boy made him a much more appealing character. It's hilarious.

#5 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Because Mario is a fascist cunt who can't handle the fact the Princess doesn't love him and that his brother is a better man.

Seriously, Luigi is taller, has a better jump, has a less irritating voice, and he fights Bowser because it's the right thing to do, not just for the promise of some "cake".

Fuck Mario.

#6 Posted by face15 (1285 posts) -

@Prodstep said:

So true.

#7 Posted by Sanj (2364 posts) -

I'm just curious as to why the hell you Americans felt the need to add EVEN MORE COLOURS to that goddamn box which might as well be filled with LSD.

#8 Posted by Captain_Insano (1534 posts) -

Man,I really struggled to find him in that top picture. Also like that WaLuigi is featured more prominently when WaLuigi fkn sucks.

#9 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

Nintendo knows exactly what they're doing with Luigi.

He's literally a Mario you're not sick of seeing. It's fucking genius.

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11792 posts) -

Who's Luigi?

#11 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Luigi > Mario.

#12 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

Even Waluigi is more prominent in that picture. And speaking of which, why didn't they call him Wuigi?

#13 Posted by Alpha1 (254 posts) -

As long as Waluigi is on the box i don't give a fuck about Luigi!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.