Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Wii U Gets NFC, New 2D Mario, and More Juicy Tidbits

• 88 results
    Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#51  Edited By Eribuster

Seeing only SD cards mentioned is worrisome. I hope that doesn't mean that the USB hard drive support for the Wii U has been dropped.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Another 2D Mario? I liked the idea of 3D land being the "missing link" between the 2D and 3D games, but surely it's time to make a sequel to 64/Sunshine/Galaxy? The games with big levels to explore and hidden things to find. Everything else feels like a step backwards, I'm really not interested in another 2D one.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By probablytuna

Welcome to the modern times Nintendo.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Vexxan

Hey, Nintendo seems to be getting somewhere, at last.

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By Zaxex

Super Mario 3D Land was great, I'd be game for a new 2D Mario.

I'm not convinced about the Wii U though.

Then again I wasn't interested in the 3DS, but bought one to play Pokemon (being the newest DS technically); and have come across some great games. So what it comes down to is whether or not the Wii U has quality games and beyond that, I guess affordability.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By solidlife

It better be Multi Touch or its DOA to me.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DeF

@solidlife said:

It better be Multi Touch or its DOA to me.

so if the thing happened to do EVERYTHING else right except for multi touch, you wouldn't care?

why get hung up on such a small thing? I agree that it would obviously be better with multi touch but why claim the whole system would be uninteresting to you if it doesn't have that one thing (which, would mean that games would be designed so you don't need it ... so what's the problem?)

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jmood88
    @xbob42

Been telling everyone for the last couple years to prepare for the era of digital distribution taking over. This is one of the first bigger steps taken, expect more and more. The generation after this upcoming one may be totally digital. Use the interim to stop being weirdos and loving a box and a piece of plastic.

Have you also been telling people about bandwidth caps, slow Internet speed, and huge file sizes? Exclusively digital distribution won't happen until those things either change or improve.
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By kennybaese

The universe almost collapsed in on itself the last time Pokemon was a think. Do we really want to go through that again?

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#60  Edited By ptys

As far as I'm concerned the Wii U was late when it was announced at E3 last year. Nintendo needs to release it ASAP as it's dating every day it's not on shelves. Also it's 2012, the tablet controller should be much thinner!

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By vinsanityv22

I hope this new 2D Mario game uses an updated engine. The original DS engine for New Super Mario Bros. was never very ambitious, though it got the job done. Seeing it recycled - with hardly any visual upgrades - for New Super Mario Wii and New Super Mario Bros. Mii (on Wii U, at e3 last year) was just plain insulting. Especially when there are GORGEOUS 2.5D sidescrollers out there like Sonic Generations, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Shadow Complex, Rocket Knight, Bionic Commando ReArmed, etc. Gorgeous 2.5D sidescrollers come out every month on XBLA and PSN.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#62  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

Does anyone have any information about whether this will be region locked like the Wii or region free like the PS3? I am hoping for the latter. Getting English language games in my neck of the woods is a nightmare as it is even with the PS3 being region free.

DarthB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By DarthB

Still don't see much that makes me want this on launch. Sorry Nintendo, I didn't get a Wii at launch, and I won't get this at launch.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By selbie

This news of the Nintendo Network and multiple account access sounds promising. I just hope its not a case of too little too late.

DeadpoolSkye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DeadpoolSkye

Skylanders concept + Pokemon = Mortal wounds to my wallet

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By vonFlampanker

New Super Mario Bros 3DS 2D

pavakah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By pavakah

The mention of SD cards worries me, but maybe it will be ok. Also, I have no desire to catch them all. Maybe this system isn't for me.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By kollay

2012. Mario HD, finally.

AJ47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AJ47
    If Wii U comes with a decent amount of hard drive space, this could become an option. It should become an option.

I don't think that the Wii U will come with any Hard Drive space, at E3 it was mentioned that it will have some flash memory & will support USB HDD's.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#70  Edited By Kyle

Boy, it sure didn't take long for 2D Mario announcements to become unexciting, did it?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By kindgineer

@CharlesAlanRatliff said:

In other words, imagine if Nintendo decided to take Activision’s Skylanders concept and apply it to Pokemon .

YEEESSSSSSS

I hate money and Nintendo knows this! We're doomed!

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ChaosDent

The 3ds uses an SD card for all of its eShop storage. I think that's the context for the SD card limitation on downloadable retail games, and it doesn't say anything meaningful about the Wii U.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MakoTitan

Wii u looks about as appealing to me as...well, the Wii u...

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

There's like, what, 649 pokemon now? That's a lot of pointless plastic figures.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#75  Edited By megalowho

The last line in this article is really the key. Nintendo's biggest problem with the Wii, DS and 3DS has been their willingness to ride out new console launches on hardware promise alone, followed by prolonged first party dry spells on the calendar between notable releases. It's a risky strategy that seems to be catching up with them - people feel burned when they have nothing of note to play or look forward to on your system for months on end. I know I do with my Wii, and currently, my 3DS.

If Nintendo does not have a plan in place to release quality, anticipated Wii U titles on a regular basis, they will waste their opportunity to build a significant advantage over the competition. Meaningful third party support and a modern online infrastructure would help, but I'm not counting on either of those things until I see it.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By DeF

@kollay said:

2012. Mario HD, finally.

the new 2D mario game is for 3DS, not Wii U.

but you can bet that the new super mario bros demo they showed at E3 last year will become a Wii U holiday game sooner or later (I'm betting launch) as well.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By xbob42

@jmood88 said:

@xbob42

Been telling everyone for the last couple years to prepare for the era of digital distribution taking over. This is one of the first bigger steps taken, expect more and more. The generation after this upcoming one may be totally digital. Use the interim to stop being weirdos and loving a box and a piece of plastic.

Have you also been telling people about bandwidth caps, slow Internet speed, and huge file sizes? Exclusively digital distribution won't happen until those things either change or improve.

Tell it to Netflix, Steam, the Vita, and now the Wii U.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By liako21

So the 2d mario game is totally separate from paper mario? sounds good to me!

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy
    @jmood88 said:
    @xbob42

Also, you know how long it took me to install Heavy Rain on my PS3? Fucking hours! And when I say "fucking," that mean a lot. And hard drive space isn't just used for games, there's also movies, music, DLC, themes, etc.

And I still rent games. If gaming becomes digital only, say good bye to that. I don't want to be the ass-hat who keeps regretting several game purchases year after year after year. I bought Street Fighter III Online Edition last year, and I regret purchasing that, and I can't take it back so I'm stuck and fucked because that's digital only.  
    habibyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By habibyjohnson

@xbob42 No, bear in mind most people have an internet cap and dont have access to fast internet. Most people under 18 dont even have a credit card. So digital only will definitely not happen. You are an idiot.

Also, prices are likely to be the highest thorugh the official "nintendo store", so why would you pay full price to get the game without a physical copy, case or manual. What on earth is the advantage there? This is why i dont understand why people would even like the option to do this..

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Contrarian

@wsowen02 said:

Wait, SD cards?! Does this thing STILL not have internal storage?!

Why does that matter? Surely it is better not to pay for an expensive internal memory, but rather, just connect a cheap 1Tb hard drive to the Wii-U? SD cards are not the only storage method option that will apply. I prefer using my own add-on storage.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#82  Edited By damnboyadvance
    @Marz said:

Nintendo only needs to do these 3 things to sell me a system.

- lots of storage space

- 1080p native games

- Robust online network ( no friend code nonsense)

How about we get some quality third-party support this time around to go with those things?
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#83  Edited By damnboyadvance

Meh. I don't think a new console is going to help Nintendo all that much. Unless they can pull in AAA titles like the Xbox 360 and PS3 do, I don't see this console lasting longer than the Wii did. 

At the very least, Nintendo isn't being as stubborn with this console. They seem willing to adapt better technology into their console this time around.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Contrarian

@BR4DL3I9H said:

Does anyone have any information about whether this will be region locked like the Wii or region free like the PS3? I am hoping for the latter. Getting English language games in my neck of the woods is a nightmare as it is even with the PS3 being region free.

Definitely region lock. This is the single biggest gripe I have with Nintendo. It really pissed me off when the made the 3DS locked. There is no excuse for that at all.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By xbob42

@habibyjohnson said:

@xbob42 No, bear in mind most people have an internet cap and dont have access to fast internet. Most people under 18 dont even have a credit card. So digital only will definitely not happen. You are an idiot.

Also, prices are likely to be the highest thorugh the official "nintendo store", so why would you pay full price to get the game without a physical copy, case or manual. What on earth is the advantage there? This is why i dont understand why people would even like the option to do this..

So many limp-wristed arguments here.

First: Internet caps don't matter, nor does slow internet, honestly. Most people don't buy more than a few games per year, and those that buy many still wouldn't come close to hitting any sort of bandwidth cap unless they used their cell phone to tether their PCs or something equally stupid. The most popular ISP, Comcast, has a 250GB monthly limit. My biggest game, if I recall correctly, is 25GB, which even for today's gaming needs is insanely large. I could download my very biggest game 10 times a month. Except that's completely unrealistic because most games even in this "HD" age are 8GB or less and you don't buy 10+ per month. Same with "slow internet," download it as you sleep. With pre-loading being so popular on, say, Steam, this doesn't even hamper your ability to play as soon as the game is available.

Second: What Nintendo charges is completely irrelevant. Don't like it? Don't pay and complain to them. No one's gonna get them to lower their prices but the fans. But fans like to bend over all the time, so that won't happen. Steam is cheap because they know they can make a big profit by having games on sale because it revitalizes interest. Even this doesn't work on a Nintendo console for the heavy hitting titles because they sell massively throughout the entire generation. So speak with your wallet. In any case, you play on a closed platform, expect premium prices for high-quality titles. That's just how it goes. As for a physical copy, case or manual, that's a bunch of stupid garbage you don't need to begin with that just clutters up your house. But dirty neckbeards love collecting valueless trash, so I know that's a real big deal and everything.

As you can see, the industry is becoming more and more of a digital distribution-oriented place. I mean the ENTIRE entertainment industry. TV is being replaced by streaming content on the net, movies are streamed via Netflix, games are downloaded on Steam and soon to be multiple console platforms, all cell phone and mobile device stuff is obviously digital exclusive. (Oh no I don't have an Angry Birds manual DURRRP.)

You're the idiot here because you think people who aren't connected to the net actually matter to big business. They're becoming less and less relevant every year. It's totally normal and expected of the average citizen to have a connection to the net for various things; banking, bill paying, communications, entertainment. It's not just some luxury for nerds anymore. You need to realize that, and realize your wet dream of a future where physical media actually matters is totally hilarious.

Yeah, I'm sure businesses would love to have to keep worrying about retail shelf space, printing discs and paper covers/manuals, plastic boxes and then workers for all those factories, then the cost of the drivers that have to deliver those to every friggin' store in the nation. Yeah, that's all super cheap, right? Why not just release it exclusively on a digital distribution platform (Which for many companies would erase the need for a publisher. Many, but not all.) where shelf space is literally unlimited and you don't have to print anything? Most services don't even charge bandwidth because bandwidth is dirt cheap; they just charge a % per copy sold. Which means no buying back from retailers, or discounting retailers, or paying retailers at all.

It makes NO sense for this antiquated, garbage model to continue into the future, and people stuck in the past like you are going to take a serious shock to the system when they can't walk into Neckbeard's Paradise and pick up a copy of Hentai Sim 7.

Anyway, neckbearding aside, to the guy who had Heavy Rain take hours to install on his PS3: Yeah, the PS3 sucks with installs and downloads. This isn't news. Future hardware needs to be better designed, and the PSN had better be revamped for the Vita and PS4. That has nothing to do with digital distribution, though, and everything to do with Sony sucking.

J0HN_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By J0HN_D

Still not sold on this thing, I loved Nintendo for years and they have had a few hits with the Wii. Not enough to make me want a WiiU, I mean even the name is bad. We have seen this before, *cough* SEGA *cough*, creating systems that set landmarks, but were sadly, quickly over cast by the competitors. Making the exact same missteps that SEGA did back in the 90's, sadly but I think the WIIU marks the end of Nintendo as we know it.

Puck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Puck

Nintendo is floundering. The handheld market has been transformed with consumer smartphones since the IPhone, and the console market isn't going to go for another system based solely on shovel ware and remakes (Wii 2). Nintendo can't get by on nostalgia and a gimmicks anymore, and trying to copy smartphone/tablets will make it worse.

Apple should buy Nintendo. They have the money (cash) and it would give the coming Apple TV products a major boost. It would give the IProducts some unique content from talented development studios. Microsoft would also make sense, but less so.

(And, fwiw, I hate Apple's business model and don't currently use the IPhone....just pointing out the best match)

kn00tcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By kn00tcn

@ChaosDent said:

The 3ds uses an SD card for all of its eShop storage. I think that's the context for the SD card limitation on downloadable retail games, and it doesn't say anything meaningful about the Wii U.

finally someone got the context, it never looked like anyone said wiiu was using sd cards

@xbob42 said:

it can never go digital when countries like australia are full of ISPs with 20gb monthly caps

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.