Would Nintendo going in to the retro market help?

#1 Edited by MikeydCT (566 posts) -

Ever since the news last week with Nintendo losing money I thought how would they do if they went in to the retro market? People been waiting for the Retron 5, Nintendo could come out with their own that plays NES, fam, super fam, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, n64. Put out new controllers and accessories. Hell even put out new games, hard to find games, games that never came out to USA or even at all. Do you think they should do it or would that mess up the market?

#2 Posted by AMyggen (3131 posts) -

How big is the market for that? Sounds very niche to me, not the kind of thing they should be focussing on if they want to make money.

#3 Posted by MikeydCT (566 posts) -

@amyggen: I am guessing it is growing where I live because with in the last few years 2 retro game stores have moved in to town. I don't know about every where else.

#4 Posted by Dalai (7033 posts) -

So instead of pulling a Sega you want them to pull an SNK?

Technically, Nintendo is in the retro market with its Virtual Console service, but it's not as fully realized as some want. They could make wireless legacy controllers compatible with the Wii U if they wanted to, but who would buy those?

#5 Edited by believer258 (11948 posts) -

@amyggen said:

How big is the market for that? Sounds very niche to me, not the kind of thing they should be focussing on if they want to make money.

This is a pretty good question, but it's kind of a moot point for two reasons.

1) Nintendo would have to get the rights to distribute these games - probably not an easy task for some things you would want to play on here.

2) Even if they could get the rights, this sort of thing would hardly save them. It just couldn't make enough money. The general public might have an interest in this if it's cheap and they can get the games easily and quickly without paying much money, but Nintendo's not going to do that. They have that policy about cheap games losing their value or something along those lines.

If they were currently a successful company, then I could see them coming out with something like this so they could have a bump in profits (that is, if they could put together acceptable internet functionality).As it stands, they're probably trying to think of ways they can use the money they've already got for something that could help them get back on more solid ground.

OK, so I've written this entire post under an assumption that isn't clear, so let me back up a minute - I was thinking more along the lines of a box that could play your old SNES, N64, GBA, etc. games, but that also allowed you to buy things that look like SNES carts but are actually just SD cards or something with games on them. They could also have a sizable amount of internal storage for downloading these games from the internet. This way, consumers wouldn't have to go out of their way to get old games from eBay or Amazon or something, where games might be way overpriced or not far from breaking, or outright broken when they get them or something like that. Such a device, sadly, probably won't exist.

EDIT: And the Wii Virtual Console is a starting point but not quite what I'm talking about. I was thinking more along the lines of a more permanent digital library.

#6 Posted by Generic_username (612 posts) -

I think making the equivalent of a retrode might not lose them money exactly, but it probably won't make any money and would be introducing another competitor to one of their own services into the marketplace.

#7 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1082 posts) -

The solution to fixing a technologically-backwards company is not to have them become more technologically backwards.

@dalai said:

Technically, Nintendo is in the retro market with its Virtual Console service, but it's not as fully realized as some want.

Yeah, I feel like Nintendo doesn't realize the gold mine that they're sitting on with their Virtual Console. They have the pedigree and the clout to do what Game Room attempted to do, except Nintendo has the catalog and the marketing power to make it sustainable. But Game Room was available on Windows, whereas the Virtual Console requires you to buy Nintendo hardware. If Nintendo were to release a Steam-esque Virtual Console shell for Windows, Mac and Linux, I think they'd clean up.

#8 Edited by Generic_username (612 posts) -

The solution to fixing a technologically-backwards company is not to have them become more technologically backwards.

@dalai said:

Technically, Nintendo is in the retro market with its Virtual Console service, but it's not as fully realized as some want.

Yeah, I feel like Nintendo doesn't realize the gold mine that they're sitting on with their Virtual Console. They have the pedigree and the clout to do what Game Room attempted to do, except Nintendo has the catalog and the marketing power to make it sustainable. But Game Room was available on Windows, whereas the Virtual Console requires you to buy Nintendo hardware. If Nintendo were to release a Steam-esque Virtual Console shell for Windows, Mac and Linux, I think they'd clean up.

Yeah, I actually agree with that. The problem is that Nintendo places too much value on making sure they get that hardware purchase. What they don't see is that the Virtual Console is in no way a selling point of the system. It is too widespread and easy to simply get ROMs and emulators for that to be a selling point. Yeah, sure, it is nice to have a means to have those titles legally, but that's more a side benefit you get for already owning the system. No one is going to spend 300$ on a box for the sole reason of being able to play emulated Nintendo games legally. Some people might be willing to drop 2-5 bucks for the convenience of having a legal copy on a device they already own, though.

#9 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (534 posts) -

Yeah, basically this.

#10 Posted by Arabes (338 posts) -

@mikeydct: Why buy a console to play old games that can be quite pricey when you have emulators for everything ever for free. Also, the games are free. How would nintendo compete with free stuff you can download off the net and play on any old piece of shit PC?

#11 Edited by Nasar7 (2703 posts) -

@dalai said:

Nintendo could go even beyond this. Nintendo could be the freakin' Disney of games. Get out of hardware and more into an apple tv like experience and handhelds. They should have a subscription service for all their games because when people buy nintendo hardware what they really want are those first party nintendo experiences. Old games would be on the service too, a goldmine of some of the greatest games of all time. Make it accessible on sony/ms hardware because, who cares? They should put bite-sized innovative experiences with their key franchises on mobile. They should be making cartoons and comics and merchandising and animated movies. They could even build a theme park and call it Nintendo Land, complete with mushroom kingdom or hyrule or star fox themed hotels. They have the money to do it, too. Think bigger, Nintendo! You went from a playing card company to a video game company. Now keep going into a full on media empire.

#12 Edited by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

I think instead of this, Nintendo just needs to stop messing about with the Virtual Console and make that a service that is actually attractive. Feature/game parity across Wii U and 3DS, a steady, significant stream of games people actually care about, quality emulations of the games, and offer an 'all you can eat' subscription service. Will this ever happen? Hell no. But it'd sure help, and it wouldn't be as cost-prohibitive as putting out an entire other thing to do a task its systems can already do.

#13 Edited by L33T_HAXOR (293 posts) -

Honestly if they put out a box dedicated to just Virtual Console for a decent price, with options for both wireless and wired controllers, I'd buy the shit out of it. If they put some cartridge slots on the box, that would be icing on the cake.

What I'd really like is to be able to plug a NES or SNES controller into my PC and have a Steam-like Virtual Console service on the PC. I know, it'll probably never happen, but crazy changes may be coming to Nintendo soon...

#14 Posted by Nightriff (5096 posts) -

Can they put SNES game on the 3DS already? How that hasn't happened yet is beyond me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.