Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Would Nintendo Make More Money If...

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Druminator

Say Nintendo finally quit console making and released higher quality versions of Zelda or Metroid on XBOX or PlayStation wouldn't they make so much more money than they are now? I mean with the new generation coming it seems like Nintendo is once again last in line, even in the handheld market they have to compete against phones. I just can't see the direction they're going help them keep up with the competition. As someone who grew up with Nintendo I really hate to see some of my all time favorite characters not in the spotlight any more. I would much rather them get the proper treatment they deserve.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Right this second? Probably. But in the long term? Probably not. Everyone was saying that Nintendo should become a third party developer after the Gamecube, too. And then they came out with the Wii and DS, both of which made Nintendo more money than they ever hope to make as a software house. Now the Wii U is stumbling a little bit, and everyone is saying the same again. Not only is it far too early in the Wii U's lifecycle to write it off completely, but it's also highly plausible that they could pull off another Wii-style success with future consoles. Never rule out Nintendo. Just when they seem on the backburner, they tend to pull off something spectacular.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Maybe. But maybe they should start releasing higher quality versions of Zelda and Metroid on their own systems?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should get out of console and go full force into handhelds. Their handhelds are alway a million times better than any console.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By devilzrule27

Those games are the reason people buy their consoles and they all sell fantastically. And if I recall Nintendo makes money on each unit of hardware so as it stands they'd probably make less money overall.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not sure the math is as straightforward as some would suggest. Nintendo gets a bunch of money from being a platform vendor in terms of licensing and fees and access to services it provides to ISVs. That stuff goes away if they go with making software as a third party.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Nope

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Never bet against nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
    deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

1. Nintendo makes Pokemon a console RPG franchise.

2. Millions of copies sell the first minute its out.

3. Nintendo makes a fuck ton of cash from video games and not hardware and starts to learn that game innovation > hardware innovation

4. Satoru Iwata passes away :(

5. Nintendo re-brands, becomes game focused

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

They would make less revenue or volume, but they would increase their margins. It's up to them what they prefer. I think they prefer their own platforms so they can have more control and stability within the market; remember that they basically got their start in the ashes of the crash. They probably have little confidence in the long term profitability of their competitors machines.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people constantly bring up this fucking idea? Nintendo makes so much god damn money that it is mind boggling, and to suggest that they should stop doing that in order to destroy their own company image is idiotic. Just watch the Final Bossman and you will see how stupid this post is. Last year (which was a bad year mind you) Nintendo posted earning over 600 Billion Yen, which equivocates to about 8 Billion Dollars, and that was their first loss in the 30 years that Nintendo had started posting earnings. So aside from last year, every year prior has been a PROFIT for Nintendo for the last 30 years. They could make 2 more failing consoles and still be alright. They are one of Japan's most valued companies up there with Panasonic, Sony, and Toyota...and all they make are video games. Those other companies I mentioned make a variety of things (aside from Toyota), and some of them are barely touching Nintendo's level of success. Seriously, stop insisting that Nintendo should go third party. They have so much money in their war chest, and they would never cowtow and lower themselves and their own image into something that they are not.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By itsVASH

No

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arabes

@neoepoch: I agree, how dare that guy ask that question? can't he see how stupid he is? What a complete piece of shit. Maybe we should find out where he lives, go there and burn the place the ground with him in it so that they may never again go on a website and post a question. The fucker.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorDanger99

People always seem to forget just how successful nintendo is. They literally have BILLIONS of dollars. They are worth more than EA and the Xbone.combined. Nintendo is fine. Of any and all video game companies, nintendo is doing the best, by far.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Here is (one of) the problem I see. Unless they stop making handhelds too, they are still in direct competition with Sony. Their only competition in Japan. Sony is unlikely to let them publish as long as that is true. So they'd have to abandon the entire Japanese console market to do this.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar

@druminator: I hope you know that the original Wii outsold the Xbox360 and the PS3 right? Sure we might look at them from gamers and developers POV as last place, but sales figures says something different.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is (one of) the problem I see. Unless they stop making handhelds too, they are still in direct competition with Sony. Their only competition in Japan. Sony is unlikely to let them publish as long as that is true. So they'd have to abandon the entire Japanese console market to do this.

I think of Sony could get their hands on some major Nintendo franchises for the home console I bet they would let them slide on having a handheld out there with Pokemon and stuff on it.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arabes said:

@neoepoch: I agree, how dare that guy ask that question? can't he see how stupid he is? What a complete piece of shit. Maybe we should find out where he lives, go there and burn the place the ground with him in it so that they may never again go on a website and post a question. The fucker.

Yeah that fucking question that has been asked constantly on a probably weekly basis, by people who don't fucking understand how Nintendo works, or how much money Nintendo has, or are for some reason butthurt that Nintendo games aren't on other platforms. Seriously fuck right off.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By pr1mus

For Wii U games absolutely. That console's sales are so abysmal they aren't even reaching half the numbers Sony had 7 years ago during their FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS madness.

But Nintendo would probably just make handheld games before going multiplatform if their business was no longer successful enough on their home consoles.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss

I never know what they're doing or what they should be doing. Shit, I would've axed the Wii and thought the DS was a bit of a weak concept.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna let them figure it out.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

@pr1mus: How much money was Sony making on the console per unit and how much money Nintendo is making now on WiiU. Its pretty important if you try to compare them

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sky's falling duders :(

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch: No you don't understand, I'm on your side! Wow, I didn't realise that he doesn't understand how Nintendo works. Great googly mooglies !! Seriously everyone, don't we screen the people before they post questions here? I thought I was part of a gated online community where everyone knows how Nintendo works, like I do. Next thing you know, we'll be letting people in who don't understand Sega! So, ya I'm with you, we should gather all these non-nintendo-understanding motherfuckers up right now and just try and make them feel as stupid as possible, cause I know that's how I get my jollies at the end of a long day :)

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Say Nintendo finally quit console making and released higher quality versions of Zelda or Metroid on XBOX or PlayStation wouldn't they make so much more money than they are now? I mean with the new generation coming it seems like Nintendo is once again last in line, even in the handheld market they have to compete against phones. I just can't see the direction they're going help them keep up with the competition. As someone who grew up with Nintendo I really hate to see some of my all time favorite characters not in the spotlight any more. I would much rather them get the proper treatment they deserve.

What? How does console making interfere with this? The games are already world class.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They would make more money if they ignored consoles and doubled-down on the 3DS (and, if really desperate, mobiles and tablets). I've been saying it for a while and I'll say it again, don't expect the WiiU's lack of sales to be a one off. The Xbox One and PS4 are going to struggle a bit too. Remember, Nintendo leaving Nintendo consoles would cost them a tonne of customers who only buy Nintendo consoles (and only for Nintendo games). And I doubt they would gain enough back on other platforms to make it worth it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo is once again last in line

The Wii outsold its competitors by roughly 22 million units at last count.

They've never been "last in line." Not remotely close.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.