Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Would you like to see the Wii U fail to force Nintendo to become just a 3rd Party Software Developer for consoles?

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By awadnin

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Even with the Gamecube, their worst selling console ever, they were still making money. Nintendo had one fiscal quarter where they did not make profit during the Gamecube years, and that was the first time in a decade or so when that happened. Nintendo knows how to make hardware that turns a profit, they will never take a blow so serious that they will turn away from making systems.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#153  Edited By mariokart64fan

the wii u cant possibly fail , --what else is there on that 8th gen market,

--- ya with that said ,

no , if that ever happened ,

you lose the master of innovation

you gain higher price tags for your ps4 720

and i dont even wanna start thinking about how much a game will cost if that were to happen , nintendo is the only one this gen that didnt live by fpses , and thats what brought 90 million gamers/non gamers alike to the ship ,

if they left, so to will the biggest fanbase-of upwards 200 million plus ,-ds wii 3ds combined

and no one will force sony or ms to drop their price ,

they both seam to think their consoles are worth 300 even though they are 5-6 yrs old ,

and how can you like sonys mindset that ps3 is enough power , that they wont make ps4 any much more powerful then ps3 already is, and then say to the world - prior that nintendo wii is a gamecube just with wii mote , doesnt that sound one sided,

who wants to play cod over and over and over again or have a market flooded with hundreds of fps again not me ,

nintendo is the one who is driving this market

and as big as this market is right now , lets see ps3 360 are about even with market share-56-53 million a peice,

wii is the only leap ahead of them at 90 million , -if this were to swap , wed have ms or sony in nintendos curent position and nintendo and who ever at 50 million

so either way it wont fail , thats not including 3ds numbers, remember gba kept nintendo on its feet , when gc just didnt do so hot,

so that can come to an aid of some sort, until their next big wind comes if this happens of course

or wii u may end up what the 360 is today , a monster , and with 3 year head start of ps4 720 that would put wii u in even better position cause lets face it we know wii u will be the cheapest option next gen and since its already 2 -21/2 yrs old by the time competiiton comes it may be even cheaper then it already would be had they came out day one along side it ,

thats the biggest advantage nintendo always has ,

and when they have the cheapest they normally win the situation

theres no excuses not to own a wii u now -- - its not using cartridges its up to date , graphically , and should have better on line with the option to use any external hard drive, it should also be capable of dlc ,

the days of being behind are over, they are now ahead , leaps ahead , and i tell you this , sony and ms may be in for a big mistake if they wait til 2014-2015 nintendo runs 5 yr life cycles ,

the chances of them being already at work is 100 percent ,

they could scout the ps4 720 for everything its worth ,

and put everything wii u had plus more into their uknown console that is inevitable,

and then where would sony ms be--- ya theyll say - this is enough for ten years bla bla bla ,

they done it this gen , and the remarks made by sony dont convince me to buy a ps4 any time soon----"ps4 wont be any more powerful then our current ps3 it has to be at least 50 percent more powerful or im not bothering ,

especally if it fetches for 400-500 dollars

and to answer your question the last new ip nintendo made is actually pretty recent ---wii sports- wii

or steel diver -3ds nintendogs ds , luigis mansions farily new as it only has 2 games, -gc/3ds

then there is pilotwings 3ds which only has 3 games as well -snes n64 3ds

nintendo has many ips to go from they dont need many more new ones to go on, but to answer that im sure they will have somthing new for wii u every console has had a new ip from nintendo ,

nes-obviously everything

snes-pilot wings super mariokart

n64-marioparty wave race

gc-luigis mansion pikmin metroid prime

nintendo ds-nintendogs brainage other games

nintendo wii -wii line of games plus they wanted to bring old ips back and thats what they did , im actually glad , only 2 games are mia actually 3 fzero starfox and stunt race-started on snes

nintendo 3ds- already has steel diver as new ip , im sure as time goes on there will be more of that , right now they need name recognition cause new ips arent always a good idea when trying to lure gamers in , they cant risk the 3ds right now , they gotta do whats right and they are finally on track to do that so

id say give it time , nintendo is trying to get the third party on board ,

that was one of wiis problems with the so called hard core, now that wii u has the graphic capabilities , it should lure everyone in ,

and when thats done nintendo will get new ips , but first they also gotta get their known ips ,, they always do that first

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#154  Edited By supermonkey122

NO

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#155  Edited By Gabriel

I really don't care for any of Nintendo's First party games so it dosen't really matter to me.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By kingzetta

I want the Wii-U to fail because it's a stupid idea, but i don't want nintendo a 3rd part dev because I don't like anything nintendo makes.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#157  Edited By DarthOrange

DON"T EVER SAY THAT! DON"T EVEN THINK IT!

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By mariokart64fan

nintendo is not going any where , the 3ds is already back on track to out sell ds in its first year , if that isnt an indication of things to come i dont know what is ,

maybe you need a history lesson

ill give you one

nintendo wii u will be the first direct succesor to a console by nintendo since the snes we all know how the snes turned out

what else is that nintendo has everything going for it , hd online everything , people has complained about , i dont see how theyll fail with everything wii u does,

its got motion its got touch controls its got traditional controls! and more importantly no competition will be there when wii u is out! we all saw ps2 run away , from the starting gate , ,

the wii u will probably do the same , because -parents will see it , and as xmas is around that time,

and let me remind you xmas is when nintendos at their best! so you better watch out! if the oct sales of the wii 250 k and 3ds 250 k and the ds 180 k isnt enough in the us , i dont know what other explaination for nintendos xmas success your going to get , they have sold more hardware altogether this last oct,

and with sony hitting bumps in the road i doubt theyll be the one to steal it ,

plus nintendo is the driving force of this industry,

every thing they have done has improved gaming ,

the only other part i think they need to work on is online but that is minor given the fact , that has no affect on wiis success and i dont think nintendos gonna lay on that ,they will provide a better online next gen , and when they get that down , theyll have everything ,

everything including a console that wont overheat in an hour , and not a 600 dollar one either,

and ya i would hate to see sony and ms without nintendo

because

lets look at the cost of the ps3 it just now got down to 250 dollars,

the 360 has been at 300 since the start of this gen

you think thats long for an old system to not have a price drop,

wait til nintendo drops out the chances of them lowering the price will be slim

not to mention all we will see mostly is first person shooters without nintendo

that would create another video game market crash ! pretty soon people will get tired of the same ol' game over and over, it happened to guitar hero ,,

it happened to atari sega ,, there is no way people will let nintendo go ,

they do that youll deal with 900 dollar consoles 70 dollar games-if we havent hit that yet,

and less competition is bad.

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#159  Edited By Mastercheesey

This might sound kind of weird but I think it might be interesting to see such a giant fall.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#160  Edited By Claude
    @Mastercheesey said:

This might sound kind of weird but I think it might be interesting to see such a giant fall.

I do love drama. Wouldn't that be a trip? 

I forgot I made this poll.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Brendan

I want them to continue to make crazy ass console hardware. Do all you people really just want to see three identical computers that fall behind their PC counterparts in a year? We need a company that makes something completely different from a PC, a company that makes something uniquely for the living room, on a TV. I don't own a Wii and am not interested in a WiiU, but I at least know what you naysayers don't seem to: Just how damaging it would be for the innovative spirit of the industry if Nintendo's hardware presence went away.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, we gon fuck to this necro party. I could dig it!

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/98500/2536602-2055981368-tumbl.gifhttp://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/98500/2539302-7090478638-HS4OR.gif

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#165  Edited By Rafaelfc

No, I want Nintendo to step up their game enough so I can be proud of owning their console (haven't happened since the snes days, but one can dream and history is cyclical.... right?)

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

No, I want Nintendo to step up their game enough so I can be proud of owning their console (haven't happened since the snes days, but one can dream and story is cyclical.... right?)

Pretty sure there are plenty of games on every console from the N64 to the Wii that can get you to be "proud" of owning them, but to each their own I guess?

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

That sounds terrible, I would never wish failure on anyone or thing.

cruxking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

double edged sword here, i don't want nintendo to fail as hardware manufacturer. But flip side i would fucking love to be able to play smash bros on pc. so i dont know man. whatever happens happens i guess.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#169  Edited By Jeust

That sounds terrible, I would never wish failure on anyone or thing.

Yeah!

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I'd much rather play Zelda - which is the only Nintendo franchise I care about - on my Sony or Microsoft platform, instead of a dedicated Nintendo console. If it's not already, their console strategy will hurt them more than help in the coming years.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see Nintendo going anywhere anytime soon. Hell, I have a feeling they'll outlive both Sony and Microsoft. Sure, right now, they might not have an amazing library, but 2014 is going to be a great year for them. Their 2014 titles look a whole lot better than whatever the other two are offering.

I really don't know where this "gimmick" and "rehash" shit is coming from, seeing as how the other two do the same thing. Back in the day, L and R buttons were considered a gimmick, but as soon as it became successful on the SNES, there goes the PS1 with their L and R buttons. Same thing with the joystick on the N64, the next year, Dual Analog came out. Motion controls on the Wii was/is considered a gimmick, yet when Sony and Microsoft do it with their Move and Kinect, it's a genius move. Touchscreen on the Wii U gamepad, touchscreen on the PS4 controller. If anything, Sony and MS are copycats, so you should be looking at THEM about gimmicks and rehashes.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Simply, no.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#173  Edited By rachelepithet

Wii U will shortly be $200, not too bad to add as a second console. Has any third party era Sonic game been worthy of the originals? And if Nintendo was a developer only, they'd only do core Mario games like Galaxy and Kart, with little reason to do Vs DK, Paper Mario, Dream Team, etc.

Without console sales profits, they'd be forced to turn New SMB and Kart and Smash Bros into yearly installments.

Finally, Xbox has no handheld, and Vita ain't setting records, so why cancel the DS family? And while Mario 3D Land for Vita might move units, would Sony or MS really do anything with Layton, Phoenix, Trauma Center, Animal Crossing, and so on? Would MS promote Zelda as hard as Fable?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#174  Edited By ch3burashka

Personally, I'm not too interested what Nintendo has had to offer hardware wise since the DS. Wii was happy-family-time, the Wii U is kind of misguided, and the 3DS has been basically been abandoned by Nintendo themselves. With the new console cycle coming up, I'd appreciate them dropping their 360/PS3-esque console and move up to the big time, play with the big boys. No one cares about Nintendo 3rd party games, but they would to see first-party on other consoles.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wii U will shortly be $200, not too bad to add as a second console. Has any third party era Sonic game been worthy of the originals? And if Nintendo was a developer only, they'd only do core Mario games like Galaxy and Kart, with little reason to do Vs DK, Paper Mario, Dream Team, etc.

Without console sales profits, they'd be forced to turn New SMB and Kart and Smash Bros into yearly installments.

Finally, Xbox has no handheld, and Vita ain't setting records, so why cancel the DS family? And while Mario 3D Land for Vita might move units, would Sony or MS really do anything with Layton, Phoenix, Trauma Center, Animal Crossing, and so on? Would MS promote Zelda as hard as Fable?

If any of those Nintendo-only games went to either MS or Sony, it wouldn't be good at all. Layton would get canceled right away, because it's not action, "the graphics suck," no guns, Phoenix, the same thing, Trauma Center too, Animal Crossing, "it's kiddie shit, not hardcore at all, like me." People just don't see what would happen if Nintendo went away. They're the only ones keeping gaming lighthearted and colorful, like gaming should be.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Rafaelfc

@turambar said:

@rafaelfc said:

No, I want Nintendo to step up their game enough so I can be proud of owning their console (haven't happened since the snes days, but one can dream and story is cyclical.... right?)

Pretty sure there are plenty of games on every console from the N64 to the Wii that can get you to be "proud" of owning them, but to each their own I guess?

Oh absolutely. I wasn't clear on my statement, I meant proud more in the sense of a nintendo console being my top choice for console gaming.

I hold nintendo near and dear to my heart and enjoyed every console they released so far. But I wish I'd have a nintendo console hooked up where my 360 is and played like 90% of all games in it.

Maybe it's just yearning for days long gone to come back, but that's how I feel.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By awesomeusername

@missacre: Your comments are stupid and I won't state why because it's obvious.

Anyway, I don't care. None of their games cater to me besides Pokemon and that's only because Pokemon X/Y looks different. Finally. But I would like Pokemon on the Vita. That would look beautiful.

Avatar image for thematrixonline
    TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is that Nintendo is full of pretentious Japanese bastards who would rather die by bus suicide than see their games created for a third party console.

But fuck yeah I would like that. I don't like missing out on great Nintendo games because I don't want to buy their shit console.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is some dumb ass bullshit. You want the house Mario to make shitty I phone games for a quick profit? Nah son fuck that shit! Wiiu may not be that great a system but shit man it gonna have some great games on it. Some of the best games. Whatever you think of their decisions, they make some of the best games, for the sole purpose to sell hardware. Their games are great because without them no one would buy their consoles. Without their consoles they will lose that drive. Fuck even mentioning it. Nintendo made the fucking gaming bed you sleep in, and now we turn our backs? People suck. Long live Nintendo.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Our savior lord hirai will make this fantasy a reality. Or maybe hell will freeze over before we see a nintendo game on another system.

Or maybe ballmers last action as ceo buys out nintendo and makes Pokemon a X1 exclusive ! Micro transactions for pokemons for all.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No.

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is, the money they generate from selling the cheaply made consoles, allows them to create games and sell them without as much competition.

There is no way they would be able to compete in the games market if they made high quality games for other consoles.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The WiiU was announced over two years ago? Jesus.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By GreggD

Yes, because even though Sega sucks now, they never had the best stable to begin with. If Nintendo went that route, they would have such a huge catalogue to pull from, I mean come on.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By frustratedlnc

Absolutely. Nintendo consoles are a barrier to my enjoyment of Nintendo titles. Their machines have always been light on third party support and every year the only titles worth playing on their system are first party games or ports. They might as well be a software-only developer. Just cut out the needless $300 hunk of shit I currently need to play their games, and I'd be happy as a clam.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

I want it to succeed

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol this thread

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By bigjeffrey

No cause i won't but nintendo games either way.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Missacre

@awesomeusername said:

@missacre: Your comments are stupid and I won't state why because it's obvious.

Anyway, I don't care. None of their games cater to me besides Pokemon and that's only because Pokemon X/Y looks different. Finally. But I would like Pokemon on the Vita. That would look beautiful.

Your avatar tells me everything I need to know about you. I just wish this site had a block function on it.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should talk to Sega.

Imagine it.. the Segtendo

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo should talk to Apple..... Imagine a world. Apple hardware.... Nintendo software.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By JazGalaxy

@claude said:

I'm not sure why people say they want Nintendo to become a third party developer.

Nintendo's hardware and software are inextricably linked.

Their biggest titles?

Super Mario Bothers

Fzero

Star Fox

Mario 64

Zelda

WaveRace

Mario 3d land

Wii Sports

etc.

They all started their lives as Tech Demos. Nitnendo makes hardware and then goes "okay, now what can we do with this to make it a game".

If Nintendo doesn't make new hardware that pushes what's possible, then they don't make new hit games.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Only if it were guaranteed one would lead to the other. I'm worried Nintendo would just double down on the 3DS and go handheld only, which I'd hate because I hate playing games on handhelds.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazgalaxy: Ooh I would love to see Star Fox, or WaveRace on the Wii U. A NEW PILOTWINGS AND F-ZERO OMG

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I would never wish the Wii U to fail. If it did, however, I wouldn't cry about it.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

On one hand I have a lot of nostalgia for snes games, especially SMB 3, but I have never owned a Nintendo console, since the first console I got was a Playstation and I have stuck with Playstation since. On the other hand I wish I could play Super Mario games, cause if there is one thing PS3 especially lacks, it's great platformers. I miss that Nintendo magic, but I'm not going to buy a console just to play the one, or maybe two, games I care about.

Nintendo needs to be more ambitious if they want to succeed.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, from a hardware perspective it ain't lookin' too good for the Wii U:

• Nintendo DS - 153.93 million
    • Wii - 100.04 million
    • N64 - 32.93 million
    • Xbox - 24+ million
    • GameCube - 21.74 million
    • Dreamcast - 10.60 million
    • Wii U - 3.61 million

I hope we see a dope new home console from them, though.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember not remembering making this poll of a thread.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't really give a fuck anymore.

Even Nintendo games have lost their luster with me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.