Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Would you like to see the Wii U fail to force Nintendo to become just a 3rd Party Software Developer for consoles?

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I don't really give a fuck anymore.

Even Nintendo games have lost their luster with me.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@missacre said:

Your avatar tells me everything I need to know about you. I just wish this site had a block function on it.

My avatar points out that I'm an inFAMOUS & Sucker Punch fan? So what? You're saying Sony & MS wouldn't let Nintendo games on their consoles because there's no action & their graphics suck. That's stupid. Have you seen what comes to their consoles? Onto my second point of Sony & Microsoft "copying" Nintendo. Actually, I won't even argue because you're either clearly new to the internet or a troll. So whatever. Enjoy the internet. Bye

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Can someone just fucking lock this old thread please?

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#204  Edited By Missacre

@awesomeusername said:

@missacre said:

Your avatar tells me everything I need to know about you. I just wish this site had a block function on it.

My avatar points out that I'm an inFAMOUS & Sucker Punch fan? So what? You're saying Sony & MS wouldn't let Nintendo games on their consoles because there's no action & their graphics suck. That's stupid. Have you seen what comes to their consoles? Onto my second point of Sony & Microsoft "copying" Nintendo. Actually, I won't even argue because you're either clearly new to the internet or a troll. So whatever. Enjoy the internet. Bye

so mad

PS: Please lock this thread, mods, admins, whatever you guys are called.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No, I wanted the Wii to be an indication that they needed to go back to developing a traditional console. Instead they tried to appeal to two kinds of markets and ended up making a machine that falls short of both. There isn't enough to regain the trust of traditional fans and there isn't anything innovative to hang on to the casual market's interest.

The system's outdated hardware compared to its competitor's is another issue all together.

Shit is really fucking depressing being raised almost exclusively on Nintendo platforms.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#206  Edited By Sergio

No. We need someone in this industry to actually come up with the crazy ideas that the others refine. We just need to realize that sometimes they will stumble, but hopefully not fall.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as much as i hate consoles but no, i don't wish wii u to fail...microsoft and sony has already taken down some great video game platforms like sega and arcade

Hypemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Hypemaster

As much as I'd love to play fire emblem among other Nintendo games on my PlayStation devices, I'd hate to see Nintendo falter. It'll be dull just having Sony and Microsoft going at it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#209  Edited By Claude

It was a good poll when it was made. It's no longer a poll. Just a troll.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claude predicted the future. NINTENDO IS FINISHED. ITS OVER.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want Monsanto, Verizon, BlackWater, and every other actually evil corporation to fail, Nintendo is alright.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By agentboolen

@claude: I'd like to see them figure out how to bring the price down on the Wii U. Its not much more then a PS3/Xbox 360 and those systems are cheaper. I wonder how much cheaper it would be if they made the controller with the screen optional at this point. There focusing on gimmicks too much to sell there systems.

If they do become just a publisher I think it would be nice to be able to get Nintendo games on none Nintendo systems. I think there could be huge success there for them, and yes I hope they don't go the Sega rout and just make mediocre Sonic games over and over. Both companies have such history it would be nice to see one of them use that history correctly on other companies systems...... If Sega would just make a new Crazy Taxi already!!!

And I don't think smart phone games is the answer!!!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#213  Edited By RonGalaxy

I've never been fond of the games Nintendo make, so I don't have any personal attachment to their success/failure like some might, but I don't want them to fail; that would really suck for everyone who cares about this industry. They have been a force for decades, and even a non-fan like me can understand the impact their demise would have. It would completely shake everything up in a really bad way.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#214  Edited By Tarsier

my view on nintendo these days is a lot like mcdonalds. i would prefer for them to learn the error of their ways, but it doesnt seem likely to happen any time soon.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I don't want anything to fail. Why would I want that?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#216  Edited By Claude

@agentboolen said:

@claude: I'd like to see them figure out how to bring the price down on the Wii U. Its not much more then a PS3/Xbox 360 and those systems are cheaper. I wonder how much cheaper it would be if they made the controller with the screen optional at this point. There focusing on gimmicks too much to sell there systems.

If they do become just a publisher I think it would be nice to be able to get Nintendo games on none Nintendo systems. I think there could be huge success there for them, and yes I hope they don't go the Sega rout and just make mediocre Sonic games over and over. Both companies have such history it would be nice to see one of them use that history correctly on other companies systems...... If Sega would just make a new Crazy Taxi already!!!

And I don't think smart phone games is the answer!!!

Saw a girl at work playing a donkey kong ripoff on her verizon pad or some shit. The girls talked about how they liked oldschool Mario games. I just sat and listened, girls like that, and thought, there it is. A new blue?

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm not as cynical as most. I don't want to see them fail...

evanomeara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#218  Edited By evanomeara

No

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'd love to play their games on other consoles, so I don't have to buy their own for just a handful of games. However, I never want to see Nintendo fail.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I've got mixed feelings about it, because on the one hand that sounds like a great idea, same great Nintendo games but on more powerful hardware, but on the other hand you look at Sega and they went to shit and basically became a different company the second they went third party. While we'd still get plenty of Mario and Zelda games, I'd worry their other franchises would end up ignored, more so than they already are.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#221  Edited By MocBucket62

Nope. I would like to play Nintendo games on other consoles, but for Nintendo's console to fail to get there is not the route I want Nintendo to take.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

just reminded the evolution of Sega, and now movie license games. I'm still waiting for EA to go back to making movie license games like Batman Begins.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128 said:

I've got mixed feelings about it, because on the one hand that sounds like a great idea, same great Nintendo games but on more powerful hardware, but on the other hand you look at Sega and they went to shit and basically became a different company the second they went third party. While we'd still get plenty of Mario and Zelda games, I'd worry their other franchises would end up ignored, more so than they already are.

When someone mentions the possibility of Nintendo getting out of the hardware business, people always point to Sega as if to say, "SEE! SEE! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!". Keep in mind I say this as someone who used to absolutely love Sega, and still has a great deal of nostalgia for them, but Sega "going to shit" has absolutely nothing to do with their decision to go third party and everything to do with their own ineptitude. There's no reason whatsoever to assume other companies would follow the same trajectory.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I suppose I don't really care, it's obvious they're still learning how to make truly compelling hardware in the CD/digital age and after nearly two decades of trying to adapt I'm just not sure it's reasonable to expect they'll ever get the hang of things the way Sony and Microsoft have. And it saddens me that the SNES and N64 gave me many of my favorite gaming experiences and I don't get to play Nintendo games anymore because their controllers are weird, their third party support is dreadful and Sony - in my eyes - has surpassed Nintendo in first party development. I think it'd probably be really fun to play a Zelda game since I haven't touched one since Wind Waker, or a Mario game since Sunshine. But the wrapper around those things - the controllers, the operating systems, the digital storefront, the social networking - continues to make a Nintendo console seem like a total waste of money.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soapy86 said:

@taku128 said:

When someone mentions the possibility of Nintendo getting out of the hardware business, they always point to Sega as if to say, "SEE! SEE! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!". Keep in mind I say this as someone who used to absolutely love Sega, and still has a great deal of nostalgia for them, but Sega "going to shit" has absolutely nothing to do with their decision to go third party and everything to do with their own ineptitude. There's absolutely no reason to assume other companies would follow the same trajectory.

There's also no guarantee that it would be smooth sailing. It would also necessarily put a lot of people out of work, as Nintendo would have no need for any personnel related to hardware development and manufacturing. Further, without the profits brought in from hardware sales, how would that affect their overall bottom line and their ability to finance game development on the level people are accustomed to seeing from Nintendo? The absolute worst is seeing people celebrate the notion of a third-party Nintendo without understanding what that actually would require and the sacrifices that would likely need to be made.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want Nintendo to succeed. But, I think Nintendo has to sit down and really think, because bullshiting and lying to itself is not working. The WII U was a fucking delusion, it might not have seemed bigger or different than Wii, but it was.

I remember Sony saying that when they sat down with developers in preparation for PS4 they had to "ask" the people in front of them to toss away the polite chit-chat suggestions. Sony asked the developers what they REALLY thought, and only then did Sony got real answers.

That's what Nintendo has to do, they need to ask 3rd party developers and publishers what they REALLY want. No polite lies and face saving soothing words this time! No Shigeru Miyamoto helping in the design of anything! They next console Nintendo makes should be built from the ground up with input from the games industry. They still leaves plenty of room for Nintendo to set a tone for its system, but tone is not parts or architecture. Nintendo could copy the PS4 circuit for circuit and still make it feel different by what games they make, by what they stress on the interface. If Nintendo goes for a gimmick again they are screwed. Nintendo is a toy company, or so THEY say. Well guess what? The best toys are robust, simple, and fairly priced. Nintendo needs a "keep it simple" mantra at work for the next console. But when does this next console come?

I say Nintendo has 4 years, with the clock having started last November. Nintendo needs to launch the NES 5, yes call it the fracking Nintendo Entertainment System 5, by Nov 2017 or 2018. Show it off first February 2017, have a main reveal with a substantive discussion at e3 2017 and then launch that fall or the next. Why so flexible about the launch date?

This is the real world - the 3rd party developers and publisher decide when generation start or end. That is really the big change Nintendo has to accept, they are PART of an industry. Being part of something doesn't mean flying the other direction from everyone with a special controller, special architecture, and special requirements. Being part of something means you respect the corporations who are your partners who supply most of the games.

I don't want Nintendo to go away. I do not like their games...I could careless about playing them...but I respect the fact some people do like them. The question is, "Does Nintendo want Nintendo to go away?" The have control, but they have choices to make.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@soapy86 said:

@taku128 said:

When someone mentions the possibility of Nintendo getting out of the hardware business, they always point to Sega as if to say, "SEE! SEE! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?!". Keep in mind I say this as someone who used to absolutely love Sega, and still has a great deal of nostalgia for them, but Sega "going to shit" has absolutely nothing to do with their decision to go third party and everything to do with their own ineptitude. There's absolutely no reason to assume other companies would follow the same trajectory.

There's also no guarantee that it would be smooth sailing. It would also necessarily put a lot of people out of work, as Nintendo would have no need for any personnel related to hardware development and manufacturing. Further, without the profits brought in from hardware sales, how would that affect their overall bottom line and their ability to finance game development on the level people are accustomed to seeing from Nintendo? The absolute worst is seeing people celebrate the notion of a third-party Nintendo without understanding what that actually would require and the sacrifices that would likely need to be made.

I don't really care if the hardware people lose their jobs. It wouldn't be the end of the world for them. There are other companies they could work for.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they selling the Wii U at a loss? I would think that's an albatross they would be glad to be free from. Even ignoring that though, I would suspect with the much larger install bases of Microsoft and Sony's platforms, their bottom line would be fine. And with regards to financing "game development on the level people are accustomed to seeing from Nintendo", I'm not sure where you mean by that, it's not like Nintendo cranks out a ton of games and that would be stifled by them going third party.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@soapy86 said:

@hailinel said:

@soapy86 said:

@taku128 said:

I don't really care if the hardware people lose their jobs. It wouldn't be the end of the world for them. There are other companies they could work for.

That is an asshole thing to say, and that's as far as I'm continuing in this discussion. Just, holy shit.

Sorry? I just don't get the drama about someone losing a job. As I said, it's not the end of the world, and there are tons of other hardware companies out there. As far as I can tell that's a factual statement and not at all an asshole thing to say. I don't understand what's so wrong about that.

Edit: Maybe you misunderstood me and think I'm taking glee in thought of people potentially losing their jobs. That would certainly be an asshole thing to do. But no, I'm definitely not doing that.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#231  Edited By crithon

I'm more curious about development time spent on Wind Waker HD and NES Remix, I kinda have a feeling that's something we would see if they whole big "they are going to be third party on ipad" happens. If it does happen I have a feeling something like Animal Crossing Plaza or Pokemon pokedex app would also be the whole dipping their toe in the water type idea. This is an odd company, does Day one digital sales on Wii U and 3DS but then it's only tied to one system and not an account.

the whole sega analogy is interesting, because right now we have seen almost 13 years of them trying everything and failing at it. Like right now one of their biggest success is a Cart Racer developed by Sumo Digital. Nintendo has a long way to go before we could compare them with Sega, it's the point where they are making movie license games...... but I'm afraid Nintendo could be more like THQ, making original content and then making a dumb peripheral no one buys and then the company sinks.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

='-(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@soapy86 said:

@hailinel said:

@soapy86 said:

@hailinel said:

@soapy86 said:

@taku128 said:

That is an asshole thing to say, and that's as far as I'm continuing in this discussion. Just, holy shit.

Sorry? I just don't get the drama about someone losing a job. As I said, it's not the end of the world, and there are tons of other hardware companies out there. As far as I can tell that's a factual statement and not at all an asshole thing to say. I don't understand what's so wrong about that.

I have been laid off before. It is not fun. It's emotionally draining, throws life into uncertainty, and made me feel like I put my life on hold until I could secure a new job. I was fortunate, in that it only took about five months to find a new job (that turned out to be far better than my previous one), but those five months were wall-to-wall stress, unemployment checks, and generally not feeling good about myself or my situation. It is not something that I would wish on anyone, and to hear someone say "I don't care if people lose their jobs" is both disheartening and infuriating. It suggests a complete lack of empathy for other people, and is an asshole thing to say no matter how you slice it.

I'm very sorry that happened to you. But like I said in the edit in my last post, don't mistake my "not caring" for enjoying the idea of people being out of work. In retrospect I admit saying "I don't care" is maybe too strongly-worded for some. I sometimes forget how touchy people can get when it comes to the subject of employment. Personally, I've never defined myself or derived personal satisfaction or fulfillment from my work, which is why it's not a big deal for me when I change jobs. I hope you understand, and I'm sorry that my other post was too insensitive.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soapy86: No problem. I accept your apology. It really can be a touchy subject.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claude said:

You're a soothsayer.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah, I think the Wii U will be fine after Smash Bro's and the next Zelda come out. Smash Bro's did wonders for the original Wii, it should have a similar effect here.

Lords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I think be awesome : 1) Nintendo creates handheld more powerful than Ps vita that supports (ds, 3ds and new high quality ref format) with ability to stream from hand counsel to TV or screen on handheld 2) quality than what used on Wii U to be on the handheld or above like Ps 4 and Xbox one.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I want is virtual reality where I can be mario and jump on goombas with a satisfying squash sound

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Carlos1408

I definitely don't want it to fail, I just want them to release more games for the Wii U. Then I'll get one.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By freakin9

Nintendo will be fine, it's like people choose to forget the enormous success the original Wii and every handheld they've put out were and just want Nintendo to die for whatever reason. The Wii U could even turn out to be a relative success when it's all said and done.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claude said:

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?! DO YOU?!

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Levius

I don't want Nintendo to go out of the console market, I just want them to learn to be less arrogant. They went into this generation with antiquated hardware, a gimmick that is much less appealing to the casual market than motion controls and online functionality which lacks key features that the 360 and the PS3 had. This allied with the glacial release schedule, makes it seem insane that they are turning around wondering why the WiiU sells like shit. The WiiU deserves the sales figures it gets. On the other hand, a modern console with Nintendo quality games could be something special.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you got to post the troll poll to get inside this boy's hole...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would like Nintendo to do whatever they can to make as many of their awesome games as possible. I don't care whether that's as a first party or a third party. If their console did fail though, I think that would just mean they focus 100% on handhelds, and I would be really disappointed if I couldn't play Nintendo games on my tv. Not only that, but I worry that some of Nintendo's B series might fall by the wayside if they become a third party developer. Pikmin made my Game of The Year list, but I really only bought it to give myself something to do on my Wii U. If other gamers think like me, then the Pikmins of the world might be fewer and farther between in order to make room for more Zelda and Mario.

So do I think it would be cool to play Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario on more powerful hardware that I'd buy anyways? You bet, but that just sounds like a fantasy to me.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#246  Edited By Brendan

@soapy86: I don't know to what extent you follow business news or keep up with the world at large (that sounded kinda dickish my bad) but when companies take a big downturn top performers tend to leave. That's just always how it is. When you have a company made up of highly motivated creatives, each with slices of the company (franchises) they can take partial ownership of, then a company that suddenly becomes much smaller and unable to give them the power and freedom to pursue their interests sees many of them leaving. The creative force packed into that one company is rare and it would be a downward spiral for Nintendo if that happened.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.