Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nioh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 07, 2017

A historical action game loosely based on the story of English samurai William Adams, as he helps slay the yokai that infest Sengoku-era Japan while hunting down a malicious alchemist.

Action mode or Movie mode

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Action mode or Movie mode (189 votes)

Action 88%
    Movie 4%
    Variable Movie 7%

So I was wondering if anyone is seeing any graphical differences between the modes other than resolution.

I usually don't like to turn off picture quality features. Usually I prefer to lower resolution and Anti-Aliasing settings and keep other eye candy turned on.

What's the general consensus on this?

• 
    kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kcin

Digital Foundry showed that Action Mode on both consoles maintains an extremely steady 60FPS (with minor dips into the high-50s on a standard PS4). Given that this is an action game (and a Team Ninja game, at that), I would, without question, go with the mode that prioritizes framerate.

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a PS4 pro and go movie mode first, you'll probably be fine. Once you go action mode you won't get away from it. It is so smooth when in that mode. With I could go back since movie mode with a 4k tv looks a lot better than action.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OurSin_360

The resolution makes a big difference in texture quality, but the 30fps feels sluggish in this game. Anti aliasing isn't great even at 1080p ( i am playing on base ps4) so I don't mind the difference that much. I'm mulling over getting a pro now though lol.

Don't really know how to answer the poll, 60fps and action mode feels much better but Movie mode looks better so they do pretty much what you would think, i prefer 60fps. It does feel like it dips at times on the base ps4 though, not terrible though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If I do ever get it, Action mode all the way. I've always said that I'll sacrifice everything on the framerate altar and I'd be a real hypocrite if I didn't do that when a console game finally lets me.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Action feels better and still looks totally fine. I wouldn't really fault the game if the movie settings were all it had but if the choice is there I'll take the smoother gameplay.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Not sure yet, as I haven't actually played it. Enjoyed all the souls games on consoles, so if there's a noticable drop in visual fidelity I'd go for movie mode. If not, obviously action mode.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I just want to say it's great that there's even an option.

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it does seem like Action mode is the way to go for me. It seems like resolution and AA are the only aspects that are changed between the modes, which is the way it should be done in my opinion.

I played through the Prologue section in Movie mode, and while you can get used to it, it doesn't seem like it's worth FPS hit.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The movie mode doesn't do enough to be worth it to me, and the game just feels waaaaaaay better in 60. I can usually deal with fps drops for eyecandy, but yeah I'd say action all the way with this one.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This game isn't a looker in terms of graphical fidelity no matter how much you increase the resolution. I tried movie mode for about 10 seconds before going back, fuck that shit.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GERALTITUDE
    @flashflood_29 said:

I just want to say it's great that there's even an option.

Agreed.

A few games have had this option recently, but Nioh doesn't bury it miles into a sub menu somewhere...

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Action mode doesn't have the weird camera judder.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Although I usually like to come here and argue about the cinematic nature of 30fps, a game with such precise timing is probably best experienced at 60.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WynnDuffy

60 FPS should be the standard for games by this point, so definitely action mode. Games feel rough at even a stable 30 to me.

mmarsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Variable movie seems close to 60fps to me.. dunno im on a base ps4 but the low res is too much

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked action mode from the start, it's smooth. I honestly haven't tried the others.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game isn't a looker regardless of resolution or AA so choosing Action Mode is a no brainer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.