Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

Where have I seen this tech before...

Avatar image for eulogize_my_baked_goods
    eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

So that trailer is pretty killer, but I'm sure I've seen that 'ground-to-space' tech in an engine demo from a few years back. The idea is not that new but it's implementation in a game engine is still pretty unique. I can't help but wonder if this is the same people and that this is the actual game that demo developed into. Does anyone have a clue what that demo was and what I seem to be miss-remembering?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Evilsbane

@eulogize_my_baked_goods said:

So that trailer is pretty killer, but I'm sure I've seen that 'ground-to-space' tech in an engine demo from a few years back. The idea is not that new but it's implementation in a game engine is still pretty unique. I can't help but wonder if this is the same people and that this is the actual game that demo developed into. Does anyone have a clue what that demo was and what I seem to be miss-remembering?

Battlefront 3, it is Not the same people I believe there is no relation in tech or people just merely a concept that is striking and would seem fun.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Seamless ground-to-space travel was an idea that Battlefront 3 was toying around with before that whole thing was taken out behind the shed and shot in the face.

edit: Before being picked up by EA again obviously.

Tetharion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few space sims, like Evochron Mercenary, have a seamless space-to-planet engine.

eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tetharion: That's the one I was thinking of! A completely different team then. Still, nice to know there are multiple studio's out there shooting for such lofty goals.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jimmyfenix

This game wow. I hope it we will have more information soon!

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

In my wildest dreams.

Really though I think I was thinking Evochron Mercenary

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Akyho

There was a game being made at the same time as Yager was on "THE ORIGINAL" Xbox. You were on floating islands for combat and would fly from space to the islands.

The game never came out but was covered at a time.

Something called the Mercury Engine I think, was the tech they were using.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, this game looked fucking awesome.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho said:

There was a game being made at the same time as Yager was on "THE ORIGINAL" Xbox.

Oh, you mean the Xbox one?

I swear, I'll never get used to that.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By veektarius

Well hello there...

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Fucking mindblowing that a tiny studio like Hello Games is doing this.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This game almost made that whole unbearable train wreck of a show worth it. Almost.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I will say, I am trying to not too hyped for this game. I think it will be good but a four man team trying to do something whole teams haven't gotten right will be hard (but not impossible). Looks interesting. I will say I am curious to what you can do on the planets, on foot.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm still managing my expectations until I see a lot more of the game, but it really does seem impressive.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

All of these procedurally generated games these days. Only a matter of time before games start completely making themselves!

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole ground-to-space thing has been around since Elite.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SSully

@sammo21 said:

I will say, I am trying to not too hyped for this game. I think it will be good but a four man team trying to do something whole teams haven't gotten right will be hard (but not impossible). Looks interesting. I will say I am curious to what you can do on the planets, on foot.

I am in the same boat. I fear that there wont be a whole lot to actually do in the game or a reason to justify going to different planets or exploring on foot. I would still get it just to explore, but I would really appreciate something with some substance. Either way I can't wait to see more.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

@ssully said:

@sammo21 said:

I am in the same boat. I fear that there wont be a whole lot to actually do in the game or a reason to justify going to different planets or exploring on foot. I would still get it just to explore, but I would really appreciate something with some substance. Either way I can't wait to see more.

I got a little bit of a Proteus meets Minecraft meets space travel vibe from some of the trailer. Either way, I'm excited.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#22  Edited By sammo21

@ssully: Yeah, that's what I was thinking...there might be some space combat but stuff on planets will just be Proteus. We'll see!

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually 'Love' the game by eskil Steinberg has this type of style to it.

STORMP00PER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: The game is being developed by 4 of the studios designers/artists now, the rest of the team are slowly moving over once all the Joe Danger stuff they are doing is wrapped up. The core of the studio is small but they do have other staffers to draw upon.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It actually reminded me of some of the ideas in Spore, this game is extremely intriguing. Hope it turns out great.

And I hope it comes out for the PS4.

eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the big question then is, how much of this demo was projected game/gameplay, and how much of what we are seeing currently is actually just aspirational. In short, I want to believe that the scope of this game is as suggested by the trailer but am equally open to finding out that things are a little more 'critical path' as long as the game is good.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By abendlaender

I'm pretty sure there was a game called "White Gold" developed by some russians that was supposed to do the same thing many, many years ago.

Edit: Okay, it was not White Gold but some other title developed by the same guys: There it is

eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, that's a blast from the past!. I was a big fan of Boiling Point even though it is quite possibly the most consistently broken game I have ever played. As such I held a small flame for The Precursors for a fair few years. A real shame Deep Shadow's ambitions massively outstripped their abilities. It's a sage warning though - a great trailer/demo does not guarantee... well... anything, really!

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sogeman

Maybe check out Space Engine. The planets themselves aren't as fleshed out but they give you an infinite universe instead.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By tourgen

I think the first time I saw full planetary physics and seamless ground-space flight was Fronter: Elite II

Pretty buggy game. I still have the CD around somewhere.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

This. Still following this game. Waiting. One day, I will be rewarded.

Also lol, Evochron Mercenary.

@theht said:

All of these procedurally generated games these days. Only a matter of time before games start completely making themselves!

No joke, one of the PHD students at my University is literally researching that. He gives the most fascinating lectures.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By jakob187

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't get the hype behind this. It's not the first game to do randomly-generated environments and such, nor is it the first game to do space-to-planet travel. They may be few and far between, but with the way I've seen so many people talking about it, this is all totally new stuff. Moreover, the trailer shows nothing more than the fact that we (seemingly) play in a first-person perspective, can maneuver a ship, can shoot at asteroids and ships...and that's it. We know nothing about the mechanics of the game, the story, what everything is about.

That level of mystery makes me feel like this was a video for a tech demo more than a game at the moment.

I'll be more excited when the eventual hands-on time at E3 comes around. Until then, I'll treat this with the same amount of skepticism I treat most everything.

Don't get me wrong - what they show looks cool in terms of art and such, but having been burned too many times by trailers (see Killzone 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines), I just cannot invest much into them.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By s-a-n-JR

There's a thing called Space Engine which is a Universe simulator, which procedurally generates stars, planets and galaxies. You just go around in 1st person mode exploring the universe quite seamlessly (depending on how fast your CPU + GPU are) . It's pretty damn impressive.

For example, in this actual screenshot from the game below, you can literally visit any white dot you see on this screen. And by visit, I mean use your WASD keys and mouse to move to them, like a FPS. Of course, you can adjust your speed to get there however fast you want.

No Caption Provided

Get closer and you'll see something like this:

No Caption Provided

and then this

No Caption Provided

or this

No Caption Provided

etc.

The main thing to note is that this is not a game. There's no aim other than to explore, and the worlds are completely barren.

Oh and it's totally free.

http://en.spaceengine.org/

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember Vinny played an unfinished indie game a year or two ago on PC, where he flew a ship in first person down through a planet's atmosphere then up again.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The concept of this game is directly ripped from an old game called Noctis IV. The entire universe is procedurally generated, and players can explore and name planets (that all get stored in a shared database.)

Loading Video...

The problem with a game that is 100% procedurally generated is that it makes for an incredibly boring game. Look at Fuel, or even older games like Daggerfall... these games fall apart outside of the scripted and hand-built areas.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if it wasn't as ambitious as it seems, their stylistic inspiration coming from old-school sci-fi covers and such has me super interested.

Also really dig the song they used. Apparently it's not an original track, which is great cause now I don't have to wait for the game to come out to listen to it over and over.

Loading Video...

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They said there will be upgrades to equipment that's good reason to explore. If that system is robust enough, then I can see it being fun and zen. Like a really rare mineral you have to search hard for. I think already it has got more going for it thanow Proteus.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheHT

@sanj: holy crap, that's awesome!

dunno if i didn't notice that before or just didn't download it, but goddamn i gotta try that out.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@theht said:

@sanj: holy crap, that's awesome!

dunno if i didn't notice that before or just didn't download it, but goddamn i gotta try that out.

Same here. I don't think I've ever heard of it though, but it sounds very interesting.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Corevi

The procedurally generated planets and creatures reminds me of Starbound which came out not too long ago. Of course that was a 2D game in the vein of Terraria so a much smaller scale but still.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.