A Late 2008 Top 10 List

Posted by unclejohn0525 (335 posts) -

Yeah, I know this is really late, but I'm lazy. I was bored in geometry, so I started thinking hard about my Top 10 Games of 2008. In my opinion, 2008 did rival the monster of a gaming year prior to this, 2007. Also, I tried to do something a little bit different with my list. Rather than make a whole blurb about every game on here, I figured I would use 1 word for each game that best describes what I liked about it, plus a blurb for the winner. So here we go!

WINNER

1. NO MORE HEROES (Wii)   Style

No More Heroes
is not a perfect game, by any means. It isn't even the most perfect game on my Top Ten of 2008. But, it makes up for any and all of its technical and design related issues with its truly unrivaled abundance of style. From the memorable characters (Travis Touchdown being, arguably, the best new character of the year), to the fun and over-the-top combat, No More Heroes absolutely oozes style, and that goes a long way in my book.
NMH 2, here we come!

HONORABLE MENTIONS (In no particular order)

World of Goo (Wii)
The World Ends With You (DS)
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix (PS3)

#1 Posted by unclejohn0525 (335 posts) -

Yeah, I know this is really late, but I'm lazy. I was bored in geometry, so I started thinking hard about my Top 10 Games of 2008. In my opinion, 2008 did rival the monster of a gaming year prior to this, 2007. Also, I tried to do something a little bit different with my list. Rather than make a whole blurb about every game on here, I figured I would use 1 word for each game that best describes what I liked about it, plus a blurb for the winner. So here we go!

WINNER

1. NO MORE HEROES (Wii)   Style

No More Heroes
is not a perfect game, by any means. It isn't even the most perfect game on my Top Ten of 2008. But, it makes up for any and all of its technical and design related issues with its truly unrivaled abundance of style. From the memorable characters (Travis Touchdown being, arguably, the best new character of the year), to the fun and over-the-top combat, No More Heroes absolutely oozes style, and that goes a long way in my book.
NMH 2, here we come!

HONORABLE MENTIONS (In no particular order)

World of Goo (Wii)
The World Ends With You (DS)
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix (PS3)

#2 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

Nice list. I like the blurb thing you did there.

#3 Posted by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

I just played a bit of World of Goo  for the first time 2 days ago and it seems like a very very good game.

A solid list.

#4 Posted by ElectricHaggis (630 posts) -

Great list, I've not seen anyone else pick No More Heroes as Game of the Year.  Personally, I agree that it's awesome (though not my game of the year).

#5 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

I agree with NMH.

#6 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

The world of goo looks weird.

#7 Posted by xShR3Dx (305 posts) -

Yeah dude No More Heroes is the shit.

#8 Posted by granderojo (1772 posts) -

I thought the online multilayer was lack luster in SSBB...If you were able to make custom matches with no powerup my Wii would be on a whole lot more.

#9 Posted by Eric_Buck (1291 posts) -

For some reason I hated Bioshock. Not for me I guess.

#10 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

I like how dudes here have the guts to actually say what they're favorite game is instead of just what other people would tell them to put down.

#11 Posted by Dalai (6882 posts) -

No More Heroes was in my top 5 for last year.  I say that's a pretty good list.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.