I sure miss Nobuo Uematsu.

#1 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

Since the main composer of the music for the Final Fantasy games has been gone for quite some time none of the FF games hold the same appeal to me as they once did.  Is this the same way for you guys as well?
 
I mean the man was most certainly a key player of the franchise, but to me nothing can hold it's own against a lot of the tracks he's done like in FFVI or FFIV or VII.
 
I know it sounds radical but maybe the reason why JRPG developers are struggling now is not because of game design issues but maybe it's because they don't deliver everything as a whole and maybe a strong soundtrack means a lot more than people had previously thought.
 
I'm just saying the man IMO was a legend and only pushed up the games he delivered music for.

#2 Posted by Addfwyn (1934 posts) -

He did the full soundtrack for FFXIV, even if you don't want to play the game, I'd check out the soundtrack, he did a stellar job.   
 
I still think Zanarkand was one of his most beautiful pieces though, sad he didn't do the full soundtrack of that game.

#3 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

He was certainly one of the best. 

#4 Edited by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -
@Addfwyn said:
" He did the full soundtrack for FFXIV, even if you don't want to play the game, I'd check out the soundtrack, he did a stellar job.    I still think Zanarkand was one of his most beautiful pieces though, sad he didn't do the full soundtrack of that game. "
 
I forgot he did Zanrakand for FFX, it really was a great piece.  I'm trying to find some of his work for FFXIV and it's all been taken down by square enix.  I didn't even know he started working with them again.
#5 Posted by Slab64 (1058 posts) -

Well, good thing you posted this, cause I didn't know either. He is definitely my top top all-time favorite, as far as games music is concerned.

#6 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I might be the only one who liked FFXIII's soundtrack. I don't want to hear battle music all day with an orchestra all day with songs that tries to make it self known like uematsu's music, like listen to me, I sound good, worship me.

#7 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I am a big fan a Uematsu myself, but I gotta say that battle song from Blue Dragon with the washed up singer from that washed up rock band whose name I forgot made me want to kill myself. lol 
 
I mean seriously, that has to be one of the most annoying, painfully bad songs ever made. 
 
Go ahead and listen for yourself. XD  
  
#8 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1666 posts) -

 

Did he compose this song?
#9 Posted by Slab64 (1058 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" I am a big fan a Uematsu myself, but I gotta say that battle song from Blue Dragon with the washed up singer from that washed up rock band whose name I forgot made me want to kill myself. lol  I mean seriously, that has to be one of the most annoying, painfully bad songs ever made. "
Well...agree to disagree.
#10 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -
@Slab64:
You're going to tell me that is a good song? . . .  
 
I fear for humanity.
#11 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -
#12 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

"miss"? "was"? I'm sorry, but last I looked Uematsu was still very much composing music for games. He did Blue Dragon, he did Lost Odyssey, and all signs point to him doing The Last Story as well. 
 
Everything you liked about Squaresoft is now Mistwalker. I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting that, and desperately cling to brand names.
 

 

#13 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" "miss"? "was"? I'm sorry, but last I looked Uematsu was still very much composing music for games. He did Blue Dragon, he did Lost Odyssey, and all signs point to him doing The Last Story as well. 
 
Everything you liked about Squaresoft is now Mistwalker. I don't understand why people have such a hard time accepting that, and desperately cling to brand names.    "
THIS!
#14 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -
@Meowayne: I'm still waiting for The Last Story to convince me of Mistwalker's worth as a developer--but in terms of music, at least, yes, what used to define Final Fantasy is now over there.
#15 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3487 posts) -
@Meowayne: Agreed. Lost Odyssey (to me at least) is the spiritual successor to previous FF games ( I'm not a fan of anything past 10)  ;)
#16 Edited by Animasta (14711 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I might be the only one who liked FFXIII's soundtrack. I don't want to hear battle music all day with an orchestra all day with songs that tries to make it self known like uematsu's music, like listen to me, I sound good, worship me.

"
I like uematsu but I liked both FF13 and FF12's soundtracks; FF13 sounds alot better than most of his final fantasy stuff, and FF12 is great when you want to chill the fuck out.
 
also make sure you realize that he didn't even compose all of FFX; he didn't even compose my favorite song :P
 
 
#17 Posted by Brendan (7830 posts) -
@Cornman89 said:
" @Meowayne: I'm still waiting for The Last Story to convince me of Mistwalker's worth as a developer--but in terms of music, at least, yes, what used to define Final Fantasy is now over there. "

I agree.  Mistwalker's titles have not as of yet reached the status of classics for me.  In this newer generation of games with leaner JRPG content they stand out more, but none of their games have ever reached the mastery of the game industry (and I don't just mean sales wise) as did the Squaresoft games of yesteryear.  The times, they are a changin...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.