And so the genius of Noby Noby Boy becomes apparent...

Posted by Soap (3641 posts) -

I would like to think of myself as an open minded gamer, I'm always up for new and exciting experiences in gaming that challenge how we see gaming as a whole, the original Katamari series had this affect on me with it's vibrant and insane colours, characters and gameplay so since the very first announcement of Noby Noby Boy I've been excited.

I downloaded it first chance I got and I wont lie, I was a little dissapointed, that is until I logged on this morning and found that we have "reached the moon".

Basically by stretching out as much as we chose and uploading our results to girl we have all contributed as a whole to unlock this new level, full of new items and characters to eat, knock over and just generally annoy. I think this amazing, that progress in this game is not marked by an individuals achievement, but by the achievement of every gamer who plays it. In this way I think we are discovering new things as a whole which can only bring gamers closer together, and how can that possibly be a bad thing?

#1 Posted by Soap (3641 posts) -

I would like to think of myself as an open minded gamer, I'm always up for new and exciting experiences in gaming that challenge how we see gaming as a whole, the original Katamari series had this affect on me with it's vibrant and insane colours, characters and gameplay so since the very first announcement of Noby Noby Boy I've been excited.

I downloaded it first chance I got and I wont lie, I was a little dissapointed, that is until I logged on this morning and found that we have "reached the moon".

Basically by stretching out as much as we chose and uploading our results to girl we have all contributed as a whole to unlock this new level, full of new items and characters to eat, knock over and just generally annoy. I think this amazing, that progress in this game is not marked by an individuals achievement, but by the achievement of every gamer who plays it. In this way I think we are discovering new things as a whole which can only bring gamers closer together, and how can that possibly be a bad thing?

#2 Edited by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

I'd still like to see games that go cross-platform, but nevermind that.

#3 Posted by hush404 (742 posts) -

That is pretty amazing and so unique too! I've yet to get into the madness of Noby Noby boy but it's got me very interested! I wonder just how far the game goes? How far do you think the dev team will let it go? Are we going to be playing Noby Noby Boy 3 years from now, 14 quadrillion light years away from where we started? :D It's a rather epic idea if you think about it.

Can you imagine if someone took this kind of idea and applied it to say... a RTS/RPG/First & Third person MMO hybrid game? Where you gained friends and built a colony, advancing in technology and the more you got in your Civilization the stronger your race got, closer to space and then beyond. Conquoring other races, or maybe lending help to smaller races? Traveling space and .... existing? Sort of like the ultimate edition of Sid Myer's Civilation/Alpha Centaury or something. OMG. HAHAH. I WISH!

#4 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4240 posts) -

That's a pretty cool development.  I think it's great that enough people were willing to try it out that this became generally known :)  I just wonder if the popularity is to scale, meaning it will be a lot harder to get to other planets than it will to just get to the moon :)

If it goes 14 quadrillion I think it'll sorta get surreal, since the observable universe is about 14 BILLION light years ;)

#5 Posted by hush404 (742 posts) -

Ha, I just picked 14quad from the air, :P It's a very neat idea tho, wondering just how its going to go.

#6 Posted by super_machine (1931 posts) -

I think they should have made it expand exponentially. Or at least given some kind of length modifier that you find on certain levels and eat to make to grow to ridiculous proportions. at this rate its going to take a long time just to reach mars. Also did you guys know you can listen to your own music from the xmb?

#7 Posted by Kohe321 (3533 posts) -
hush404 said:
"That is pretty amazing and so unique too! I've yet to get into the madness of Noby Noby boy but it's got me very interested! I wonder just how far the game goes? How far do you think the dev team will let it go? Are we going to be playing Noby Noby Boy 3 years from now, 14 quadrillion light years away from where we started? :D It's a rather epic idea if you think about it.

Can you imagine if someone took this kind of idea and applied it to say... a RTS/RPG/First & Third person MMO hybrid game? Where you gained friends and built a colony, advancing in technology and the more you got in your Civilization the stronger your race got, closer to space and then beyond. Conquoring other races, or maybe lending help to smaller races? Traveling space and .... existing? Sort of like the ultimate edition of Sid Myer's Civilation/Alpha Centaury or something. OMG. HAHAH. I WISH!
"
I imagine that the players will never catch up to see the "end". The devopers will most likely just make new planets/stars or whatnot and will stay ahead just fine.

Noby Noby Boy is really insane...
#8 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

I think it's a neat idea, but hopefully they plan on expanding what you can do in the game.  If each new level just brings new objects, people will probably be done with the game before every planet they have set up is reached.

#9 Posted by zitosilva (1841 posts) -
ahoodedfigure said:
"That's a pretty cool development.  I think it's great that enough people were willing to try it out that this became generally known :)  I just wonder if the popularity is to scale, meaning it will be a lot harder to get to other planets than it will to just get to the moon :)

If it goes 14 quadrillion I think it'll sorta get surreal, since the observable universe is about 14 BILLION light years ;)
"
One thing though, I believe the price really helped. I mean, it's just 5 bucks, anyone is willing to risk something for such a low price.

But man, is this game fun. Though I think it's more of toy than a game, I can't stop coming back to it from time to time.
#10 Posted by Matt_ (337 posts) -

I agree that it's the communal aspect to it that I like. However, the thing that could kill this game is all the people that bought it. If a large group of people just get bored with it and never play it again then going any further could become impossible at a certain point. Here's hoping that people keep at it I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.