Even Noby Noby Boy's Creator Can't Explain It

• 109 results
Posted by Brad (2903 posts) -
DUDE WHAT IS GOING ON
I still haven't figured out what kind of game Noby Noby Boy is, but at this point, I don't really care. Namco Bandai had my money at "$4.99" and "guy who made Katamari Damacy."

Regardless, now I feel better, knowing that I'm not alone in my bafflement at this next PlayStation Network release due out the 19th. Even the aforementioned creator guy, Keita Takahashi, is weighing in on the PlayStation.Blog in advance of the game's release with some interesting new information--and a mea culpa on the nebulous origins of the game.

Here's my favorite quote.

One big question most people have asked is, “Why did you want to make such a game?” Seriously, I don’t know. When I figure it out, I’ll share it on this blog.

Dude, if you don't know, what do you expect us to do?! However, I'm suddenly very excited for the communal way that everybody playing the game will contribute to the unlocking of new levels. Another quote.

Basically players can control and stretch Boy, the main character of the game. As players stretch Boy, the lengths to which he grows are uploaded to a persistent character known as Girl, who grows at the same rate as the combined length of all the players in the world. Girl starts at Earth and expands around the solar system. When Girl reaches a new milestone in the solar system, new areas are unlocked as playable stages for everyone around the world.

OK, I might have to buy this game twice now. That sounds wild. Speaking of wild, here's a new video.

Look for Noby Noby Boy on the PlayStation Store this coming Thursday. Apparently, we're all in this together!
Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (2903 posts) -
DUDE WHAT IS GOING ON
I still haven't figured out what kind of game Noby Noby Boy is, but at this point, I don't really care. Namco Bandai had my money at "$4.99" and "guy who made Katamari Damacy."

Regardless, now I feel better, knowing that I'm not alone in my bafflement at this next PlayStation Network release due out the 19th. Even the aforementioned creator guy, Keita Takahashi, is weighing in on the PlayStation.Blog in advance of the game's release with some interesting new information--and a mea culpa on the nebulous origins of the game.

Here's my favorite quote.

One big question most people have asked is, “Why did you want to make such a game?” Seriously, I don’t know. When I figure it out, I’ll share it on this blog.

Dude, if you don't know, what do you expect us to do?! However, I'm suddenly very excited for the communal way that everybody playing the game will contribute to the unlocking of new levels. Another quote.

Basically players can control and stretch Boy, the main character of the game. As players stretch Boy, the lengths to which he grows are uploaded to a persistent character known as Girl, who grows at the same rate as the combined length of all the players in the world. Girl starts at Earth and expands around the solar system. When Girl reaches a new milestone in the solar system, new areas are unlocked as playable stages for everyone around the world.

OK, I might have to buy this game twice now. That sounds wild. Speaking of wild, here's a new video.

Look for Noby Noby Boy on the PlayStation Store this coming Thursday. Apparently, we're all in this together!
Staff
#2 Posted by TimeWaffle (946 posts) -

i have no idea what's going on

#3 Posted by Jeff (3463 posts) -

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Staff
#4 Posted by Wade_Wilson (29 posts) -

.....speechless

#5 Posted by stillmotion (80 posts) -

Man can that Cell Processor put out mega polygons or what?

#6 Posted by NoExtraLife (213 posts) -

That video has me terrified

#7 Posted by Daz0608 (384 posts) -

It's good to see "Experiments" like this in gaming I think, at least it's not another downloadable Twin-Stick-Shooter

#8 Posted by McPlated (132 posts) -
#9 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

I can't help but laugh at the randomness of this game.

#10 Posted by Forcen (1809 posts) -

I'm thinking about buying a PS3 just for this game.

#11 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

What the...?

#12 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

I.....

I.....

I feel like I just got skullfucked by an elephant!!!  My brain hurts from trying to figure out what the FUCK is going on!

I don't understand it at all!!!
#13 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2490 posts) -

huh? huh?!?!? HUH?!?!?!?!?!?

I DON'T UNDERSTAAAAAAAANNDD!

#14 Posted by Crono (2652 posts) -

physics never looked so good lol

#15 Posted by ZombiePie (5629 posts) -

My original question still has not been answered! Where is the game in this game?

#16 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

i already spent money on Flower, i don''t think i'll spend anymore money on games till Killzone 2 comes out. but i like how whacky this game is

#17 Posted by AndrewB (7563 posts) -

If this is considered a game, then I've got a ton of ideas for the next big blockbuster game titles.

#18 Posted by Stabbers_McGee (49 posts) -

My brain just melted

#19 Posted by Tomorrowman (148 posts) -

Oh, I get it.  It's a video game.

#20 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -

skip to :40 to see a man with a snazz haircut.

#21 Posted by Seram (192 posts) -

IT LOOKS SO GOOD AND I DON'T KNOW WHY

#22 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

I have a headache.

#23 Posted by bobpie24 (100 posts) -

God help us all.

#24 Posted by Orakulum (81 posts) -

what... the fuck? well, that's it then. we're all going to die.

ps. that tune is almost as epic as the fat people tuba tune.

#25 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

Thankfully, we can all rest easy knowing that the rest of the world has no idea what the fuck this game is either.

#26 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
Basically players can control and stretch Boy, the main character of the game.
Uh huh?
As players stretch Boy, the lengths to which he grows are uploaded
Okay, that sounds kinda cool.
As players stretch Boy, the lengths to which he grows are uploaded to a persistent character known as Girl
Wait. What?
the lengths to which he grows are uploaded to a persistent character known as Girl, who grows at the same rate as the combined length of all the players in the world.
What the hell did he just say!?
Girl starts at Earth and expands around the solar system. When Girl reaches a new milestone in the solar system, new areas are unlocked as playable stages for everyone around the world.
I DIDN'T EVEN READ THIS IT'S SO INSANE!
#27 Posted by JackSukeru (5907 posts) -

So basically you wobble around to extend yourself, and it could be done into infinity? That's my guess at least.

#28 Posted by HiddenTofu (7 posts) -

Just like when Joe Biden had an acid trip~~~

#29 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

Why wouldn't you want to make this game?!

#30 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

Oh... My brain...

#31 Posted by LiquidPrince (15896 posts) -

What the hell is happening...?

#32 Posted by Double0hFor (410 posts) -

am i high or something?

#33 Posted by LiquidPrince (15896 posts) -
Double0hFor said:
"am i high or something?"
Yes, but that's besides the point.

#34 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

This looks like the greatest game ever made.

#35 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

I really don't get how this is all being controlled, it looks like chaos. Still, definitely getting it. That makes two intriguing PSN titles in a row. Kudos to you Sony.

#36 Posted by Junpei (734 posts) -

How can people program it without knowing what goes on? Baffiling!
This is PSNs Space Giraffe.

#38 Posted by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

I won't be a complete person until I find out what this is all about.
I'd be so happy if the game really didn't make any sense, and what you see in the above video is actually what playing the game feels like.
You've got my $4.99, Sony.

#39 Posted by tekmojo (2300 posts) -

Jesus balls.

#40 Posted by DJ_Lae (629 posts) -

So...

Random shit bounces around in levels, you eat it, and poop hearts everywhere while gradually growing longer and insane music plays in the background?

I'm in.

#41 Posted by Packfan104L4 (210 posts) -

I'm buying it just to see how crazy it is and how Sony allows weird s*** like this on their network.  Indie games unite!

#42 Posted by ep_driver (441 posts) -

Definitely still have no idea what the fuck this game is about or what its creator was on when developing it, but the whole idea of unlocking levels as a community is RAD.

#43 Edited by makari (597 posts) -

So.. each thumbstick controls each side of your Boy, and you move them apart to stretch, but eventually you become so long that the play field cant support you moving apart any further so you need to weigh down your Boy at the ends or all along its length or use techniques that require thinking outside the box to stretch it further. At least that's what I'm seeing. Oh, and hello innuendo!

#44 Posted by RawShark (236 posts) -

GAME OF THE YEAR x 10

#45 Posted by CarolynP (91 posts) -

One of the most deeply disturbing things I've ever seen.

#46 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

OSTARIDGEEE!!!!!!!

#47 Posted by Lestater (394 posts) -

"Killzone 2?  Nah.  Resistance 2?  Nah.  Metal Gear Solid 4?  Nah.  God of War III?  Nah. "

"So why exactly are you getting a PS3?"
"Noby Noby Boy!  Gah, why else would you get the system?!"
#48 Posted by Karmann (622 posts) -

That lovebird is staring into my soul...

#49 Posted by Wright (637 posts) -

looks like the greatest game ever made. they just don't know it yet.

#50 Posted by Killroycantkill (1399 posts) -

Calling it right now. Noby Noby Boy = game that will be more confusing than the Metal Gear Solid 2 story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.