Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nolan North

Person » credited in 223 games

Nolan North is an American voice actor, known for both the quality and quantity of his roles, and is now a winner (and loser) of multiple "Northies" from giantbomb.com.

Nolan North

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Sambambo

Hey,

On the bombcast, if Nolan North has any part in a video game, they know immediately who he is and say it sounds pretty much like Drake from Uncharted, or at least can bring it back to that character.

I have to say that I have never noticed this guy in any game, and cant see any similarities between any of his roles. This doesnt mean I think he is good, just that I cant disguinghish between any of his voices.

Am I alone in thinking this, or is it pretty obvious that it is the same guy in each role?

Thanks.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Jambones

Personally i's pretty obvious at first, but after a while of playing a new game it becomes less jarring.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

It's up to the game director really.North just does when he told to do. There was an interview with him where he talked about  the VO he did for Prince of Persia and when he walked in he started talking to the director about how to approach the character and how they want the voice to sound but the guy just asked him to do the Uncharted voice. 

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MarkWahlberg

They've talked about how he can do a wide range of voices but isn't always called upon to do that. Personally, I can't help but notice him in games now that he's been pointed out to me, but it's kind of like seeing a well known actor in a movie: knowing who he is sorta pulls you out of it a little bit, but it's not that big a deal if they are good at what they do.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By butano

He's a helluva voice actor, even if some characters sound the same (Nathan Drake, Jason Flemming from Shadow Complex, Desmond Miles, etc.), but there are a few roles he does that are just damn impressive. Sigmund from Ratchet and Clank for example.... 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Here is Nolan North doing a bunch of different voices for those interested.
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Mars_Cleric

He should do a game where he does his Christopher Walken impression, it's eerie
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Butano: <--What he said.

If you've played the games in which he does the Nathan voice, you can tell right away. In others, not so much (like all the Halo games). I swear they've talked about it every year since GB launched now.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By ReyGitano

I can never tell either, but to me it's because his baseline voice is very generic sounding. His acting is great, but I still find his voice very generic. 
    I'm getting better at pointing him out, but I could never really tell for those first couple of Noland North filled years.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raymayne

Yeah it's obvious, he has a sweet voice though so it's alright by me.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By 02sfraser

I think the only time I have thought he sounds like Drake is in Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. But the scene where he does it's because he is doing very Drake like things.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " Here is Nolan North doing a bunch of different voices for those interested. "
    I'm pretty sure some of those voices are racial stereotypes. But who cares, it's Nolan North! 
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By FLStyle
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " Here is Nolan North doing a bunch of different voices for those interested. "
    Can't say he isn't capable of multiple voices after listening to this.
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I don't really notice it either until it's something like Mafia II where and Nolan North NPC was having a conversation with another Nolan North NPC.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Jadeskye
    @SuperSambo: once you notice it once or twice you'll notice him everywhere, his voice is rather easily identified. 

I actually found it very fun once i realised he was in everything to play through my collection of games and realise he voiced many of my favourite characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.