The 2012 Northies

• 65 results
#1 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

So Spec Ops: The Line wins this right? Unless anyone has a better one?

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -

If we're gonna have a thread about this, it would've been nice to have poll with all of the choices in it... 

#3 Posted by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

Yeah, taking a look on IMDB, he's been in quite a few games this year, so this probably should've been a poll.

Spec Ops seems like his biggest role though, so maybe that wins by default.

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by gelatinabomination (184 posts) -

@TooWalrus: I agree. We need choices! AMERICA MUST CHOOSE

#5 Posted by Nightriff (5147 posts) -

Spec Ops but what else has he been in? I thought it was a off year for him where last year is was in fucking everything

#6 Edited by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

The only big thing he really had this year, if I recall, was Desmond. Even if he had something huge like Drake again, Walker from Spec Ops still wins. It's a really powerful performance.

Seriously, if we're not awarding Walker, this year's Northie should go to Troy Baker. He's been in everything this year and in the previous one. And I refuse to believe that he played the Scoundrel in Diablo III.

#7 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5714 posts) -

GOT THE FUCKER!

Also probably the Northiest version of Desmond yet, complete with snark, silliness, and daddy issues.

#8 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Well the winner is not Guild wars 2 or assassin's creed 3 that's for sure.

#9 Posted by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -
@Ghostiet: IF he did, that wins.
#10 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

So we should have the bakeys

#11 Posted by Giantstalker (1686 posts) -

I've played plenty of Guild Wars 2 this year, the entire time as a male human.

That's a LOT of Nolan North. Man. . .

#12 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

@TooWalrus: Apparently he really played the Scoundrel. This is as fucking amazing as North voicing The Penguin, because he sounds nothing like himself.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -
@Ghostiet: What's your source? I just read (on some messageboard found through Google) that it was Troy Baker... 
#14 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Well it isn't most nolan north it's best.

#15 Posted by Raven10 (1846 posts) -

Looking through the IMDB page I think it's pretty easy to say Spec Ops wins regardless of the fact I haven't played many of the other games. In fact I would place that pretty close to the top of best performances he has ever done.

#16 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

@TooWalrus: Yeah, it was Troy Baker. I wrote a clusterfuck of a post. I meant to say that I refuse to believe the Scoundrel is voiced by Troy Baker and that the Northies should go to Troy Baker this year because he voices fucking everyone in this year's games. I'm terrible at writing.

#17 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5714 posts) -

Travis O' Touchdown once played the lead guy in the Saboteur, who needs legitimate accents? "Ho ho, that went fuckin' well"

#18 Posted by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -
@Ghostiet: It was half my fault, maybe I read you're first post wrong. Anyway, Nolan's dad is going to be crushed when he founds out Troy Baker won the Northie this year.
#19 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

@TooWalrus: He'll feel better after Troy Baker gets invited for an interview and Patrick calls him an asshole, with uncomfortable stares and silence following. Yes, I went there.

#20 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

Seriously, if we're not awarding Walker, this year's Northie should go to Troy Baker. He's been in everything this year and in the previous one. And I refuse to believe that he played the Scoundrel in Diablo III.

I think Laura Bailey should be nominated too, she's been showing up everywhere for a while now.

#21 Edited by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: Oh my fucking Christ. Baileys. This shit writes itself.

#22 Edited by Yummylee (22041 posts) -

Frankly I just wish that they'd move on from the jokey Northies award and would set up an actual ''best voice performance in a video game'' award or something.

My such nominations would be (from what I've played this year, which unfortunately doesn't include Spec Ops):

• Brian Bloom as Jackie Estacado. EDIT: Or maybe David Hoffman for his Johnny Powell performance instead... Someone from The Darkness II would have to be on here in any case.
  • James McCaffery as Max Payne.
  • Dameon Clarke as Handsome Jack.
  • Melissa Hutchison as Clementine.
  • William Salyers as Mordin... ? A lot of great performances in Mass Effect 3, though William's was one such that I distinctly remember enjoying. Done a very good job in carrying the torch from Michael Beattie in Mass Effect 2.

I didn't actually put that much thought into this list mind you, and only started it up... literally whilst I was in the middle of writing this post.

#23 Posted by ozzdog12 (862 posts) -

@JZ: Uncharted: Golden Abyss.....THE Nolan North role

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -

@JZ: TANGO FUCKING DOWN. (a.k.a Yes you are correct Spec Ops wins)

#25 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2035 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@BlackLagoon: Oh my fucking Christ. Baileys. This shit writes itself.

Even more the reason for Laura Bailey to usurp Nolan North.

#26 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

It's absolutely spec ops. The best "GAAWWWDD DAAAMNIT!" since Marcus Fenix. And the way he changed it up throughout the course of the spec ops campaign was brilliant both on his part and the writer's for having that idea.

#27 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

it should be the bakers, because troy was in way more and had much more unique performances (I had no idea he was in Binary Domain until the credits where I saw he played the stiff british guy and I was all dang)

#28 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

No the bakeys

#29 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5146 posts) -
#30 Edited by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

I second the motion to have a general voice-acting category, but I think it should be named after Nolan North.

#31 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

The golden drake award.

#32 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2035 posts) -

This year is probably the end of the Northies. I mean we're already two years removed from Nolan North talking to Nolan North and I don't think we can do better than that.

I'd like him to officially lose the Northies to another ubiquitous voice actor/actress and have the Northies officially discontinued.

#33 Posted by Aegon (5702 posts) -

The Nolan North Award for Voice Actor in Fucking Everything.

#34 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5714 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: She's no Jennifer Hale

#35 Edited by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

She's no Jennifer Hale

Hale has some big franchises on her resume, to be sure, but in terms of number of sizable roles this year? I don't think she comes close to Bailey... She's friggin' everywhere, she even still does dubs of niche Japanese games.

#36 Posted by pyromagnestir (4326 posts) -

@Yummylee: Mordin was voiced by a different guy? I didn't notice any change at all. And I second the notion of a proper Best Voice Acting category.

#37 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

We really need to have a catigory that branches out from just Nolan North. He is in everything but so is other voice actors like Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthal. I also think we need to give female VAs more credit.

#38 Posted by TheHT (11513 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

@TooWalrus: He'll feel better after Troy Baker gets invited for an interview and Patrick calls him an asshole, with uncomfortable stares and silence following. Yes, I went there.

I still think about that from time to time. They cleared it up later on the bombcast, talking about how they were cursing and joking around before, but I remember at the time it was this momentous "WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ARE YOU DOING NEW GUY?!!?" thing, haha.

#39 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

LEGO BATMAN 2?!

HELLO, MOTHERFUCKERS?! DID PEOPLE FORGET ABOUT THAT?!

He was The Scarecrow AND Hush...and he was fucking awesome at both.

He could also win for being the majority of Dota 2.

#40 Posted by whatisdelicious (1226 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

The only big thing he really had this year, if I recall, was Desmond. Even if he had something huge like Drake again, Walker from Spec Ops still wins. It's a really powerful performance.

This is probably the best and most reasonable way to handle the Northies this year. I've also been noticing all the Troy Baker throughout the year.

Really though, I'm just glad that there are dudes other than Steve Blum getting work. Seriously, if you think Nolan North is in everything, pshaw. Steve Blum is in EVERYTHINGGGGG. And he has such a distinctive voice, regardless of whatever bad accent he uses. I love him in certain roles, like Spike from Cowboy Bebop, but damn son. Took me out of Shadows of the Damned every time Garcia opened his mouth.

#41 Posted by Roger778 (960 posts) -

Nolan North did a great job once again as Desmond in Assassins Creed 3. But that's the only game I've played this year that he starred in.

#42 Posted by AssInAss (2665 posts) -

It obviously has to go to his performance in Spec Ops The Line, it pretty much makes the game and is his best performance to date.

#43 Posted by CornBREDX (5608 posts) -

He was in Guild Wars 2, also.
But yes I think Walker wins it for me.

#44 Posted by spankingaddict (2698 posts) -

Yes , Nolan North was fantastic is Spec Ops : The Line !

This isn't debatable .

@Ghostiet said:

Patrick was joking with him , dumbass walrus . See , there I was being silly ...

#45 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -
@spankingaddict I was too. Not TooWalrus. Pay attention before you insult someone.
#46 Posted by Winternet (8025 posts) -

No Northies this year, but Captain Walker wins best voice acting so . . . yeah Nolan North still wins.

#47 Posted by musclerider (590 posts) -

@Ghostiet: Troy Baker was apparently also the main character in that god awful MIB game which I found surprising.

#48 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

@musclerider: He did. And he played the 1st male voice from Saints Row The Third, basically.

Fuck, it's either the Bakers or the Baileys this year. I lean more to the latter, because that pun is so God-awful I can only be proud of it.

#49 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3903 posts) -

I'm on board for Troy Baker to win this years Northie. In all seriousness the best vocal performance would be a good category to add. They could keep the same name. In fact they totally should keep the same name.

#50 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

@Ghostiet: Troy Baker was also Kanji in P4A and G

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.