Can Street Fighter 4 be considered a NosCon?

#1 Posted by Dpower94 (233 posts) -

With the inception of the NosCon page, I thought I'd take a look at some of the already chosen NosCons the community has come up with. However, Street fighter 4 was not on the list, much to my surprise considering it was discussed in the Bombcast. Is there a technicality restricting SF4 from being a NosCon?  

I would hope we can suss out even more rules for a NosCon in this thread, if there is at all a debate.

#2 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

How is it banking on nostalgia? I say it's not, considering... well... there's nothing really nostalgic about it.

#3 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

It meets certain criteria but it looks like it does meet the standards of today's games.

#4 Posted by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -
@PureRok said:
" How is it banking on nostalgia? I say it's not, considering... well... there's nothing really nostalgic about it. "
Agreed and yet not agreed. Street Fighter 4 was in every way banking on nostalgia, it's practically Super Street Fighter 2 3D, but on that note, I'd almost go as far as to say SSF2THDR was a noscon, except for the part where it was a remake/update. Holy damn, this Noscon shit is complicated.
#5 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

No

#6 Posted by Dpower94 (233 posts) -

Well, in the sense that early on, their huge focus was that they scrapped Street fighter 3's systems and went back to more Street Fighter 2ish gameplay, as well as focusing on SF2 characters, they were banking on some nostalgia. It meets today's standards NOW, because it has been released, but before SF4 fighting games were not like this from the beginning of the 21st century. They brought back the 2d fighter, in a sense. Though now we have realized that this is what was standard and what we wanted all along, it's original intention was to bring OLD fighting game stylings back. And, the actual lineage of official SF games (as in no alpha or vs. games) was gone since SF3 Third strike's 1999 release. 

#7 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2483 posts) -

I think it definitely counts as one... since we did have the alpha games in-between... not to mention the huge amount of time that passed AND the inclusion of a level that was pretty much a 3D remake of Chun-Li's stage from Street Fighter II

#8 Edited by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -

NosCon should not apply to SF4.  They never marketed with 'A RETURN TO THE CLASSIC STREET FIGHTER!', did they? I'm not too sure but I kindof think they didn't. They just went 'NEW STREET FIGHTER!'.

#9 Edited by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

This isn't Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe we're talking about.  This is Street Fighter IV, people.  It's NosCon.

#10 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

NosCon.

#11 Edited by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" This isn't Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe we're talking about.  This is Street Fighter IV, people.  It's NosCon. "

@Linkyshinks said:

" NosCon. "

I really wish people would explain their reasoning. All I'm seeing is:

"It's on a 2D plane, therefore it must be based on nostalgia."

With this logic then all 2D fighters are doing this. Really, I just don't see anything resembling nostalgia, and I think not explaining why it is a "noscon" (Hate that "word".) isn't really helping matters.
#12 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

I think it totally is. A NocCon doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. It's a return to roots with a numerical title that plays a lot like a previous game in the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.