Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NVIDIA Corporation

Company »

NVIDIA specializes in the manufacture of graphics-processor technologies. Based in Santa Clara, California, the company’s most notable products include the GeForce GPU’s for gaming and the Quadro series for graphics processing on professional basis.

The Not-So-Fine Art Of PC Repair

• 177 results
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#151  Edited By metal_mills
    @Warskull said:
    " @Metal_Mills:
    I own DoW2 and Fallout 3 from day one and never had a problem. The biggest bug I found in DoW2 was the mouse stops responding, mash it and it starts working again. Fallout 3...hell, I haven't updated ever and never had a crash. Demigod did have a bad netcode but seriously, bugs aren't just on PC games and it's a LOT easier to fix them on PC. "

Then you never tried to play DoW 2 online.  They had major gameplay bugs with online play.  Units permanently took up population cap and just destroyed the game.  They took months to fix it and when they did just added a bunch of other bugs like being able to take 3 people into a 2v2 and play a 3v1 instead.  Those are hardly minor bugs.

Fallout 3 had a large amount of issues for a number of players.  I could not get that game stable and it is the only game that will crash for me.  The patches just make the game crash more too.

Game destroying bugs are pretty exclusive to the PC because console games with bugs like that tend to go straight to the trash bins.
    "
    DoW2 was fine online. Did YOU play it?  I never ran into a pop cap bug in a good 25 games at launch. The game now which I've started to play again has no bugs I can see, never ran into a 3vs1 and I've only been playing 2vs2.

Maybe if a game is constantly crashing for you and patches make it worse, it's probably you then. Most people I saw with crash issues was one where it crashed when they tried to quit.

And there are plenty of console games with bugs, big games too.
    CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By CashBailey
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Well if it's vendor default then leave it, that's how it's supposed to work and you paid for that anyways. Sounds like you got it prebuilt. Not liking. "
    Yeah, I bought it custom built. But if the cutting out keeps up I'm gonna have to get it looked at.

But then I am also running Vista 64bit and God knows how janky that damn thing is and what effect it may have.
    NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#153  Edited By NateDogg

a good write up! Reminds me of the past when PC gaming was all that mattered :)

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By End_Boss
    @Hamst3r said:
    " I think that's more just you. :PThere's a lot to play on PC right now. Trine (demo), Zeno Clash, STALKER series (3rd one is in development), Mirror's Edge (way better with mouse and keyboard controls), Cryostasis, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, FEAR 2, etc. There are others, but those are the ones that have my immediate interest. Also, you even said it in the endurance run: PC is the system to play FPS games on. "
    See, I don't think this is what he was talking about. Most of the games you mentioned are multiplatform and would therefore run comparably on a PS3/360. Not exactly the kind of stuff that would stress his new hardware.
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By Hamst3r
    @End_Boss said:
    " @Hamst3r said:
    " I think that's more just you. :PThere's a lot to play on PC right now. Trine (demo), Zeno Clash, STALKER series (3rd one is in development), Mirror's Edge (way better with mouse and keyboard controls), Cryostasis, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, FEAR 2, etc. There are others, but those are the ones that have my immediate interest. Also, you even said it in the endurance run: PC is the system to play FPS games on. "
    See, I don't think this is what he was talking about. Most of the games you mentioned are multiplatform and would therefore run comparably on a PS3/360. Not exactly the kind of stuff that would stress his new hardware. "

Comparably? Surely you jest. On the console games typically run at approximately 1280x720 res, 30 fps (sometimes 60, though also sometimes lower) and the equivelent of medium to medium-high detail with 2x AA (at least on 360, on PS3 there is no AA). That is not comparable to running a game at 2560x1600 res, 60 fps or higher and on maximum detail with 4x or higher AA. I have a powerful gaming PC, built last week and even it chokes up on these games when they're maxed out. :)

But anyways; I don't think he was looking for games to stress the new hardware. That's not it at all. The issue is that he doesn't care about stressing out new hardware anymore and there aren't any PC games that he's interested in. Thus, I named a few games that play well on PC and are somewhat recent.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By Diamond
    @Hamst3r said:
    Comparably? Surely you jest. On the console games typically run at approximately 1280x720 res, 30 fps (sometimes 60, though also sometimes lower) and the equivelent of medium to medium-high detail with 2x AA (at least on 360, on PS3 there is no AA). That is not comparable to running a game at 2560x1600 res, 60 fps or higher and on maximum detail with 4x or higher AA. I have a powerful gaming PC, built last week and even it chokes up on these games when they're maxed out. :)But anyways; I don't think he was looking for games to stress the new hardware. That's not it at all. The issue is that he doesn't care about stressing out new hardware anymore and there aren't any PC games that he's interested in. Thus, I named a few games that play well on PC and are somewhat recent. "
    Most multiplatform 360 games run equivalent to maxed settings on PC...  There are some like GTA4 which have a lot of LOD settings considerably lower, and require a beast to run fully.  Otherwise like you said, around 720p, 30-60fps, 2xAA, rarely 4xAA.  But how many games that push the graphical limits on a 360 run at 2560x1600, 60fps or higher with higher image quality though?  Damn few.  COD4 might if you have quad SLi.  Maybe you've just using hyperbole, but obviously for a decent PC most multiplatform games run at least a bit better on a PC.  Most people just don't care about that though.  Hell, lots of people are stuck using low quality LCDs these days anyways.  60Hz, 720p, small size, low quality displays...

That's the point, comparable because you're getting the same graphics quality at a lower resolution, not looking quite as crisp but having all the same details.  That's damn comparable no matter how many times people deny it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Al3xand3r

Um, no they don't, AA,AF, draw distances, texture details (resolution), physics calculations, DX10 effects, LOD distances, post processing effects, and other things are compromised... And they do usually run @ only 30 fps, though there are exceptions. If you don't notice, that's a whole different issue... I suppose the biggest issue is the fps loss though, I can't stand anything much lower than 60, it gets really jarring at around 45, even on PC I'd rather reduce settings (a little, not enough to make the game ugly) than put up with that... Though I don't have to after my upgrade.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Um, no they don't, AA,AF, draw distances, texture details (resolution), physics calculations, DX10 effects, LOD distances, post processing effects, and many other things are compromised... And they do usually run @ only 30 fps, though there are exceptions. If you don't notice, that's a different issue... "
    Bzzt wrong there chump.  How many games have DX10 effects added anyways?  Those smooth particles in Bioshock?  I'm sure a lot of people care about those.

You don't even own a 360 or PS3 anyways, why I am even responding to you?
    Destroyeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#159  Edited By Destroyeron

COD4!

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#160  Edited By Hamst3r
    @Diamond said:
    " @Hamst3r said:
    Comparably? Surely you jest. On the console games typically run at approximately 1280x720 res, 30 fps (sometimes 60, though also sometimes lower) and the equivelent of medium to medium-high detail with 2x AA (at least on 360, on PS3 there is no AA). That is not comparable to running a game at 2560x1600 res, 60 fps or higher and on maximum detail with 4x or higher AA. I have a powerful gaming PC, built last week and even it chokes up on these games when they're maxed out. :)But anyways; I don't think he was looking for games to stress the new hardware. That's not it at all. The issue is that he doesn't care about stressing out new hardware anymore and there aren't any PC games that he's interested in. Thus, I named a few games that play well on PC and are somewhat recent. "
    Most multiplatform 360 games run equivalent to maxed settings on PC...  There are some like GTA4 which have a lot of LOD settings considerably lower, and require a beast to run fully.  Otherwise like you said, around 720p, 30-60fps, 2xAA, rarely 4xAA.  But how many games that push the graphical limits on a 360 run at 2560x1600, 60fps or higher with higher image quality though?  Damn few.  COD4 might if you have quad SLi.  Maybe you've just using hyperbole, but obviously for a decent PC most multiplatform games run at least a bit better on a PC.  Most people just don't care about that though.  Hell, lots of people are stuck using low quality LCDs these days anyways.  60Hz, 720p, small size, low quality displays...That's the point, comparable because you're getting the same graphics quality at a lower resolution, not looking quite as crisp but having all the same details.  That's damn comparable no matter how many times people deny it. "
    The highest graphical settings in numerous games on PC are superior to what the 360 can push and it's not just LOD settings. The 360 versions have lower resolution textures and various graphical effects reduced in quality. Take a look at this Lost Planet comparison image if you don't believe me. That's how it is with just about every game, I kid you not. It's like night and day. It looks fine, particularly on a TV that's a few feet away, don't get me wrong on that. I'm not saying the 360 has crap graphics...but once you put the game on a PC and you're only a foot or less away from the screen - which has a much finer pixel array as well- the 360 graphics simply don't hold up.

As for playing at 2560x1600, 60fps and higher quality - you don't need quad SLI. Only Crysis really stresses a PC out that bad. I played Gears of War, Mirror's Edge, Call of Duty 4, Lost Planet and Mass Effect at those settings. Those are all pretty graphically intensive games. You need a beefy machine, but it definitely doesn't have to be quad SLI. It does have to be more than what the 360 has in it though. I've read in many Mass Effect reviews that the 360 version has framerate issues - it has trouble keeping up, even at ~720p, so please don't overstate the power of the 360, it's not the powerhouse system you're trying to make it out to be.

Lastly, about, "the point". When was the point about low res LCDs and "most people"? We're talking about Jeff's computer. Jeff is a video game journalist. He probably owns some good stuff. We're not talking about your average Joe - at least, I never was. There are only two computers taken into account with my prior posts: mine and Jeff's. :)
    Alwaysrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Alwaysrun
    @Jeff said:
    "@Alwaysrun said:
    " After all that and poor Jeff gets a 192 sp version of the 65nm gtx 260, those are going for $150 bucks up here in Canada where our dollar isn't a dollar. Ohh well it'll still do you just fine for gaming jeff but with a little more leg work you could have saved yourself $50 and gotten a card that achieves 10% better framerates, has lower power consumption and runs 10 degrees cooler at load. btw what if anything do you plan on doing with your old 8800 ultra? Anyways I'm glad you got your pc up and running Jeff, it may not be your platform of choice for gaming but at least now you have the pc option if the mood strikes you. "
    Already said this earlier in the thread, but it's a 216.
    "

Ohh my bad Jeff...Great to hear you got the one with more juice. That card is about the best bang for the buck in the single card, single gpu arena so kudos on doing your homework. I game solely on my pc with 3 XFX gtx 260s in Tri-SLi and lemme just say it's way overkill but really I got the extra 2 just to contribute to Folding @ Home. I switch SLi off and game on one card while the other 2 crunch away at folding. I think more and more gamers are coming back to pc gaming now that the consoles are starting to look dated and the graphics and framerates are somewhat diminished compared to their pc equivelents. As time goes on and with no new console with  much needed beefier hardware I suspect pc gaming will have a slight resurgence. I'm sure some would argue that point and they have plenty of ground to stand on as if you look at the pc release calendar it's not looking so shit hot for the pc gaming world even if the pc can outstrip the consoles in gfx. In for a penny, in for a pound as they say so I'll just keep pc gaming and trying to squeeze as much gaming goodness out of the $700 worth of graphics hardware as I can.
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#162  Edited By dagas

I don't see why Nvidia is a better choice. The Radeon 4890 can be bought for slightly over $200 and is slightly better than the GTX 275. And I don't know about Nvidia drivers being better. I've been using Geforce 8800GTS 512MB for some time, but I can't upgrade the drivers to anything newer than 178 or else I get no video during movies. The GTX 260 is still good though, it could have been worse. I remember a friend of mine who was desperete to get a new video card that he went and bought a X850pro for almost $300 and this was about the time where you could get a X1950pro for that price or less online, one generation newer.

The state of PC gaming is sad. I would upgrade my PC, but I see no reason for it. There's no games that I would want to play that I can't play on my 360. All I can think of is HL2 episode 3, SW:TOR and maybe I want to play Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 and none of those games are likely to demand even as much as Crysis, a 2007 game. Now it's all about making games that people can play with their built in video chip or $50 video card.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#163  Edited By kenzo287

heh funny you mention you have a dell. my dell just did the same exact thing to my video card although my setup is far less glamorous than yours seeing as it was outdated a full year before it was ordered. now i get to "upgrade" to a geforce 9400...woopie

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By OoSuperMarioO

It's a very interesting topic about the current state of PC gaming. However, the cool stuff has been happening in the mmo space buds, granted I have a Q6600, 8800GTX $3,000 Dell desktop suited with logitech devices from keyboard to mice sitting in the corner while I game mmo's like World of Warcraft on my laptop. Certainly there are other great titles out there such as Team Fortress 2, but there isn't enough of it to warrant that level of satisfaction the PC space offered many years ago. Building custom PC's is always fantastic to urge that sense of how this game will run ect. but that sense does fatigue overtime where at the core of it the games you hold on to are titles with great gameplay.

It was no suprise that the console space specifically the xbox 360 will draw an audience for online gaming, and I say this because when Halo 2 launch it was just amazing to see players from around the world engaing on your television, in addition Halo 2 was a marvelous FPS entirely. However, even with titles like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Nba 2K, online gaming on consoles provided the "having your friends over to play some multiplayer" only now it's less hassle due to you don't have to provide food and extra controllers, lol.

I'll keep my post short, but here are some pics of my current setup, later guys..
    http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27/Taheed_McClain/PC/DSC_0077.jpg

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27/Taheed_McClain/PC/DSC_0072.jpg

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27/Taheed_McClain/PC/DSC_0074.jpg

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By OoSuperMarioO
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#166  Edited By agentboolen

Yep I have a Dell 8100 that blows balls since day 1 of owning it!!!  The thing needs more ram but of course it just happens to have been bought at that brief moment where Dell was using the waaaaay over priced RD-ram!!!  All I know is the price is sooooo high that I'd rather just buy a new PC then give in to Rambus's RD-ram pricing! 

Sincerely,
    I Hate RD-Ram

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Diamond
    @Hamst3r said:
    The highest graphical settings in numerous games on PC are superior to what the 360 can push and it's not just LOD settings. The 360 versions have lower resolution textures and various graphical effects reduced in quality. Take a look at this Lost Planet comparison image if you don't believe me.
    Sorry, but you're still wrong.  Lost Planet is one of the few exceptions to the rule these days.  Even when a game gets upgraded features, it's usually pretty insignificant : Gears of War 1 got some texture improvements (the game looks considerably worse than Gears of War 2 for that matter), Mirror's Edge got the additional Phys X support (comes at a performance cost), DMC4 got a mode with extra enemies on screen, Bioshock got soft particle support in DX10...

@Hamst3r said:
    That's how it is with just about every game, I kid you not. It's like night and day.
    That's just a load of bullcrap.  I know better.  You may have convinced yourself it's like night and day, but that's probably because you never tried playing 360 games with decent graphics.

@Hamst3r said:
    It looks fine, particularly on a TV that's a few feet away, don't get me wrong on that. I'm not saying the 360 has crap graphics...but once you put the game on a PC and you're only a foot or less away from the screen - which has a much finer pixel array as well- the 360 graphics simply don't hold up.
    If you're at a point that you think 360 graphics 'don't hold up' in any capacity, I feel really sorry for you.  Even after all these years I still find many 360 games amazing looking.  Even after Crysis.

@Hamst3r said:
    As for playing at 2560x1600, 60fps and higher quality - you don't need quad SLI. Only Crysis really stresses a PC out that bad. I played Gears of War, Mirror's Edge, Call of Duty 4, Lost Planet and Mass Effect at those settings. Those are all pretty graphically intensive games. You need a beefy machine, but it definitely doesn't have to be quad SLI. It does have to be more than what the 360 has in it though.
    To play games like Mirror's Edge, Mirror's Edge /w PhysX, COD4, Lost Planet and Mass Effect at that resolution, frame rate, and settings, then yes, you do need multiple high end GPUs!  You're going to be spending at LEAST $600 on graphics cards...  Click on the game names above if you don't believe me.  Not ONE of the games you mentioned performs like you said without more than one of the highest end GPUs for sale today.  Why bother using extreme hyperbole or lying when someone can prove you wrong this easily?

@Hamst3r said:
    I've read in many Mass Effect reviews that the 360 version has framerate issues - it has trouble keeping up, even at ~720p, so please don't overstate the power of the 360, it's not the powerhouse system you're trying to make it out to be.
    Mass Effect isn't the best test of the 360's performance for sure.  I never 'overstated' the power of the 360, hell I never stated anything about the power of the 360.  You overstated the power of modern gaming PCs, making up nonsense about texture resolutions (edit note : this is more of a game development / business issue than performance) and performance that isn't realistic.

@Hamst3r said:
    When was the point about low res LCDs and "most people"? We're talking about Jeff's computer. Jeff is a video game journalist. He probably owns some good stuff. We're not talking about your average Joe - at least, I never was. There are only two computers taken into account with my prior posts: mine and Jeff's. :)
    You're not talking about Jeff's computer and neither am I and we both know it.  I only brought up modern display tech because it was relevant to the discussion.  I can tell you that Jeff won't be seeing performance like you talked of on his PC and neither will I.  What are your PC specs?

Anyways, I'm not slamming PC gaming, after all I'll be playing on my relatively high end PC within a week or two (just a note, I've played on higher end PCs, but soon I'll have my own).  The kind of stuff you're pushing around as 'fact' is so blanantly untrue that I am compelled to fix your errors.  What is the point of making up crap about this sort of stuff anyways?  If you didn't have some 360 achievements and you hadn't put out that XNA title I would have been inclined to write you off as a fanboy and not even bother replying.
    Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Curufinwe

A $200 card like the GTX 260 will run every PC game except Crysis & ArmA II (and maybe GTA 4) at 60fps at 1900 * 1200 resolution with AA and AF enabled.  Almost all 360 games run at 720p or less, so there's less half as many pixels on screen, and often struggle to stay above 30 fps even though there's usually only a little bit of AA going on.  One of the reasons CoD4 is so celeberated on the 360 is because it's one of the few big games to run at 60 fps, and of course it only does that by outputting at 600p.

The difference in graphical quality might not matter to you or a lot of people, but it's very significant and very obvious.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Diamond
    @Curufinwe said:
    The difference in graphical quality might not matter to you or a lot of people, but it's very significant and very obvious.
    I don't have problems with the technical things you mentioned, except I don't think 60FPS is why COD4 is popular, it's a damn good playing game and extremely smooth online.

However, this is the exact sort of statement I have problems with.  You're expressing your opinion as a fact.  To even say it's significant is a judgment call, but if you're talking about technologically looking at the big picture of the evolution of graphics, then I'd say it's an extremely insignificant difference.

edit : To help you understand how insignificant resolution and AA/AF are to rendering I'll suggest the following.  Run Crysis at high settings on a 6800GT at different resolutions, start with 640x and work your way up.  Then run it on a card like a GTX260 at different resolutions.  You can even factor in CPU by using a very high end CPU.

In technical terms resolution has always been the cherry on the top.  In a technical sense it's far less significant than the textures, models, shaders, lighting, shadows and so forth.  Maybe I just understand this better because of the many years I've been gaming.

Not to make a big deal out of it, but this is why I'm not particularly impressed with just running a game in a higher resolution, or with better texture filtering.  It's not a problem with PC games, it's a problem with how developers just port games over to PC with little work and rarely any higher quality assets at all.
    Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Curufinwe

Part of the reason CoD4 plays so well is because of the 60 fps frame rate it runs at.

Saying that the graphical difference between the 360 and PCs is significant is opinion.  So is saying the graphical difference between the Wii and 360 is significant.  The fact is that PCs with video cards that cost less than $200 can run the same games you get on the 360 at more than double the resolution, with more AA and AF, and often at double the frame rate.

EDIT - If you've been gaming so long I find it surprising that you don't appreciate how important it is for a fast-moving game to run at a constant 60 fps instead of the 20-30 fps chugfests you so often see on the consoles, especially on the PS3 version of multiplatform titles.

Unsurprisingly, I don't have a 6800 GT and a GTX 260 just laying around, so perhaps you'd like to explain what you think I would learn if I did have them and the desire to spend all night testing them with Crysis. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Diamond
    @Curufinwe said:
    Saying that the graphical difference between the 360 and PCs is significant is opinion.  So is saying the graphical difference between the Wii and 360 is significant.
    Objective technical comparisons CAN be made.  On a technical level the graphical difference between a Wii and 360 is much, much greater than 360 and the highest end PC you can buy today.  The difference between what is virtually no programmable shaders to 3.0 compared to 3.0 and 4.0 on 360 and PC.  360 which supports all DX9 and some DX10 functions, compared to Wii which wouldn't even comply with DirectX8...  The difference in RAM (especially when you consider how rarely the extra RAM you could get on a videocard and system RAM is used in PC games today) of 88MB on Wii to 512MB on 360 (which is used more efficiently than on a PC).  CPU capacities, internal storage, bandwidth.

If the difference matters to you is a different matter, but saying that Wii is to 360 as 360 is to PC is horribly technologically ignorant.

@Curufinwe said:
    If you've been gaming so long I find it surprising that you don't appreciate how important it is for a fast-moving game to run at a constant 60 fps instead of the 20-30 fps chugfests you so often see on the consoles, especially on the PS3 version of multiplatform titles.Unsurprisingly, I don't have a 6800 GT and a GTX 260 just laying around, so perhaps you'd like to explain what you think I would learn if I did have them and the desire to spend all night testing them with Crysis.  "
    30FPS is a chugfest?  Wow, you really are confused.  I'll always take 60fps over 30fps (if that's the only factor to consider), but there was a time I played Quake 1 on PC at 10FPS and was competitive online.  There's no reason 30FPS shouldn't be more than enough to make any game fully playable.  Maybe if you're running a PC at 25FPS with triple buffering and vsync you might notice mouse lag or something disruptive to gameplay like that, but if your controls are being polled at a proper rate, there's no big reason that 30fps shouldn't be enough.  Lots of people got confused back in the days of Quake 3 because the game engine allowed you to move faster in a game depending on your framerate, and for most people that was 120Hz.  Ever since that day people have been very confused about framerate.  Now with Quake 3 I noticed my eyes could see the difference in frame rates up until about 90 frames per second (running on a 120Hz CRT), but I also understand that higher framerates are rarely significant to actually playing a game.

I thought my explaination about resolution was pretty self explainitory.  I'll give you the facts in laymans terms if you like.  It's far more taxing on a technical level to run Crysis at 640x480 than to run Call of Duty 4 at 720p.  It's far more technically significant to run Call of Duty 4 at 640x480 with no AA and at 30fps than to run Quake 2 at 1080p at 60fps!

It's a shame that resolution talk like 720p, downscaling, and all of this crap are so imbedded in the consumers' minds these days.  It reminds me of the bit wars, Atari saying the Jaguar was better because it was 64-bits.  The extent which people seem to think resolution is the most important factor in 3D graphics shows just how ignorant those people are.
    Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Curufinwe
    @Diamond said:
    " @Hamst3r said:
    The highest graphical settings in numerous games on PC are superior to what the 360 can push and it's not just LOD settings. The 360 versions have lower resolution textures and various graphical effects reduced in quality. Take a look at this Lost Planet comparison image if you don't believe me.
    Sorry, but you're still wrong.  Lost Planet is one of the few exceptions to the rule these days.  Even when a game gets upgraded features, it's usually pretty insignificant : Gears of War 1 got some texture improvements (the game looks considerably worse than Gears of War 2 for that matter), Mirror's Edge got the additional Phys X support (comes at a performance cost), DMC4 got a mode with extra enemies on screen, Bioshock got soft particle support in DX10...

Devil May Cry 4 at max settings has much higher quality graphics on the PC version, even in DX9, and runs at 60 fps+ at 1900 x 1200 even on rigs that aren't that powerful.  And it's already almost a year old.  Your claim that multiplatform 360 games run equivalent to maxed settings on PC is absurd, no matter how many times you call people chumps or shout that they're wrong, the evidence is clear:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/f-e-a-r-2-project-origin-triple-format-face-off-article?page=3

"But the difference between F.E.A.R. 2 console and its PC brother goes beyond just the controls; it's also about the performance. The Xbox 360 version does well to run at a fairly solid 30fps at a native 720p resolution, but even with an entry-level enthusiast PC, you'll be getting the full-fat 60 frames at anything up to 1920x1200. We tested the game on a quad-core system with three different graphics cards, and also tried out a couple of CPU downclocking options in order to emulate less powerful systems."

"As it is, the PC version's superior looks aren't limited to more pixels and a consistently higher refresh rate - textures have more detail, there are more light sources, and shadows are more realistic and complex. Motion blur is supported on all versions, but on PC, where movement is that much faster it just makes much more sense, and has much more of an impact."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/far-cry-2-triple-format-face-off-article

"The PC game is obviously the master version, possessing the highest-quality lighting options, superior anti-aliasing and tweakables covering many aspects of the environment, such as the vegetation, shading, texture quality and ambient effects. Both Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game have all of their variables hard-locked, so it's difficult to tell exactly what has been pared down, but it's fairly obvious that texture quality has taken quite a hit (that said, it's only really noticeable close-up and on ground textures). Water, shadowing and environmental effects have been dialled back significantly, but during the course of the action, such window-dressing is hardly essential to the gameplay."

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Diamond
    @Curufinwe said:
    Devil May Cry 4 at max settings has much higher quality graphics on the PC version, even in DX9, and runs at 60 fps+ at 1900 x 1200 even on rigs that aren't that powerful.  And it's already almost a year old.  Your claim that multiplatform 360 games run equivalent to maxed settings on PC is absurd, no matter how many times you call people chumps or shout that they're wrong, the evidence is clear:
    Ughh, you're really just a fanboy aren't you?  I can name even more exceptions than you both for and against my argument if you like.  The point is most games run on 360 equivalent to maxed PC settings (ignoring resolution, AA, AF, and the like).  That is, the ASSETS are identical.  That's the point.

Hell, I made a post here on Giant Bomb a few months ago about how FEAR2 was a very sloppy port on consoles, and you should only really buy it on PC.  I'm aware of the exceptions, but I'm also aware of the average.
    Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Curufinwe
    @Diamond said:
    "30FPS is a chugfest?  Wow, you really are confused. 
    30fps locked is OK.  20-30 fps (which is what I actually said) is a chugfest for gamers who are used to playing at 60fps.  I think you''d be better off toning down your arrogance if you can't even quote someone's post  accurately.  Calling people chumps and fanboys just shows you that you're getting a bit desperate.

Keep shouting that the textures, shadows, shaders & lighting in the 360 versions of multiplatform titles are the same as those on max settings on the PC versions till you're blue in the face.  It won't make it any more true, but it will be rather amusing.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Diamond
    @Curufinwe said:
    " @Diamond said:
    "30FPS is a chugfest?  Wow, you really are confused. 
    30fps locked is OK.  20-30 fps (which is what I actually said) is a chugfest for gamers who are used to playing at 60fps.  I think you''d be better off toning down your arrogance if you can't even quote someone's post  accurately.  Calling people chumps and fanboys just shows you that you're getting a bit desperate.Keep shouting that the textures in the 360 versions of multiplatform titles are the same as those on max settings on the PC versions till you're blue in the face.  It won't make it any more true, but it will be rarher amusing. "
    OK, I misunderstood you about framerates.  I thought you were saying any framerate from 20 to 30 is a chugfest.  I agree when you get around 20 FPS things can start to feel bad, but most console games today will at least get 30FPS locked.  There are exceptions, Gears of War 1 felt horrible, I think it dropped as low at 15FPS or so on 360.  Gears 2 feels smooth at what's probably 30fps 98% of the time.  I don't mind if a few frames are dropped from 30fps though.

If you think I'm coming off arrogant you'll have to excuse me.  I'm frustrated at your lack of comprehension of what I'm trying to teach you.  When you scour the net for the 1 or 2 exceptions which I already said exist, as if to prove me wrong, as say that I'm being absurd when I'm factually correct, that's going to piss me off a little.  As for my Al3xand3r response, we have a bit of a history.  He tends to try to contradict everything I say, but I think he does that for most people.  He said he was going to ignore me a while ago, I'm just waiting for him to get around to it.

You're the one that seems a bit despirate.  As opposed to actual counterpointing any of my arguments, you've chosen to accuse me personally of being arrogant and 'shouting until I'm blue in the face'.  You're the one choosing to deny all facts for the sake of your all to obvious fanboyism and ignorance.  I've taught you the truth, if you continue to ignore me, I should do the same.

I don't know why I bother anyways.  It's always the same.  The people that are the most full of shit aren't ignorant, they just don't want to accept the truth.

If this was 4chan with a statement from you like 'but it will be rarher amusing.'  I'd respond to you by saying 'LOL I TROL U', as in you're saying you were trolling me all along, and you didn't really mean what you said.
    Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Curufinwe

It's not 1 or 2 exceptions, and you aren't telling the truth.  The PC versions of FEAR 2 and Far Cry 2 and DMC 4 are not rare in having higher quality textures & effects available at max settings than on the console versions.  Hamst3r had it right a page ago when he said the 360 versions are the  equivalent of medium to high detail, but your desire to troll was so great that you couldn't help but make make a fool of yourself with this maxed settings nonsense.  Why don't you post your junk in the PC threads at GAF and let a whole community show you how full of shit you really are.

Reading your embarrassingly arrogant missives about teaching the truth has gone from being amusing to almost masochistic, so I'll just end with a quote from Richard Leadbetter:

"We can safely assume that the master assets are in the PC game, with the console versions being cut-down versions of what computer owners with the right hardware can enjoy."

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Diamond
    @Curufinwe said:
    " It's not 1 or 2 exceptions, and you aren't telling the truth.  The PC versions of FEAR 2 and Far Cry 2 and DMC 4 are not rare in having higher quality textures & effects available at max settings than on the console versions.  Why don't you post your junk in the PC threads at GAF and let a whole community show you how full of shit you really are.Reading your embarrassingly arrogant missives about teaching the truth has gone from being amusing to almostmasochistic, so I'll just end with a quote from Richard Leadbetter: "We can safely assume that the master assets are in the PC game, with the console versions being cut-down versions of what computer owners with the right hardware can enjoy." "
    What do you want me to do?  List every single game with identical or near identical assets?  You've brought up 3 games, want me to list 4 that have the same assets?  You'll just bring up another 2, and we'll be going forever.  The average multiplatform game for the last 3 years has no extra assets exclusive to the PC version.  That said I can think of a good 15 or 20 games that have clearly better assets on PC, but I could still list a hundred or probably more that don't.

Why are you bringing up GAF now anyways?  Is that were you typically post?  As if they're a technically knowledgable and fanboy-free community.  Why not ask me to go to /v/, or nvnews?  Maybe YOU should ask on Beyond3D and see what they say...

Since you're so full of yourself, and think the exception proves the rule I'll end with a quote myself from ShootmyMonkey (sorry I don't know his real name), a game developer who worked on Tomb Raider Underworld, who doesn't even own a Xbox 360 (quote regards how Tomb Raider Underworld looks better on 360 than on PC) :

"Admittedly, the PC version of TR can't do some things we can do on the consoles due to the fact that the DX-spec limitations are absolute on PC, so there is bound to be some more of that "flatness" that he speaks of."

"There are a handful of things that can't be done on PC simply because it pushes us over the instruction count limit. I can personally easily spot them because I happen to know what many of them are to a certain degree of specificity...

Part of that has a lot to do with the fact that we weighted texturing operations rather heavily as this is the main way we cut down on memory footprint, and this often eats up quite a lot of instruction count. There are several cases where using complex blending, layering, tiling, rotation, etc. gives you more effective texture resolution with significantly smaller memory footprint (in some cases as much as an 8:1 difference). It's a common weapon especially on the environment where it exhibits many times more efficient than trying to create massively huge individual textures. Had we not done that, we might have gotten more illumination complexity on the PC, but less texture/geometric complexity given the same memory constraints. It's a universal truth in the nature of software development that compromises almost always transform into hard dichotomies in the worst possible way."

As you can see, far from the PC version being the best looking version of the game, it's actually inferior to the 360 version.  This is about as rare as the PC version of a game having better assets than the 360 version, and this too I could name numberous other examples.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Media_Master

PC gaming is small

except wow

nekoNari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By nekoNari

8800 Ultra is old?? Then I guess my GeForce 6600 is... an antique.  Yeah, I have 360 so I don't game on my PC anymore. :S (Well with release of compelling new games on PC lately, I'm starting to consider gaming on PC again... Just started considering, though)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.