Obsidian Is Making a South Park RPG, Naturally

Posted by Alex (2021 posts) -

On the list of new role-playing games Obsidian Entertainment might just happen to announce today, one based on the long-enduring Comedy Central animated series South Park probably ranked somewhere near the bottom of the list of likely choices, sandwiched somewhere between a tactical, turn-based RPG based on The Rockford Files, and that Andy Griffith Show game Gary Whitta is always on about.

And yet, here we are with a Game Informer cover story exclusively announcing a new South Park RPG, courtesy of Obsidian and publisher THQ. While the core details on the game are locked away within the pages of next month's GI issue, the online story does make a big point to separate this latest game from the cheap, crappy cash-in games Acclaim produced last decade. Instead, this latest foray into South Park video gaming is set to be a "full-scale RPG" for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with Trey Parker and Matt Stone fully on board for writing and voice-acting duties.

In the game, you'll be playing as a new kid in South Park, who will find themselves tasked with befriending the town's most famous children and defending the population from a variety of threats. What, exactly, those threats might be are as yet unknown, but the complete cover image does include the likes of Satan, a giant dragon, and the feared ManBearPig hovering in the background. Also, I can't imagine Cartman having wizardly abilities is going to bode well for anyone.

South Park: The Game is currently scheduled for a nebulous "2012" release. Expect more details when the latest issue of Game Informer hits, and everyone copies and pastes the text onto the Internet.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2021 posts) -

On the list of new role-playing games Obsidian Entertainment might just happen to announce today, one based on the long-enduring Comedy Central animated series South Park probably ranked somewhere near the bottom of the list of likely choices, sandwiched somewhere between a tactical, turn-based RPG based on The Rockford Files, and that Andy Griffith Show game Gary Whitta is always on about.

And yet, here we are with a Game Informer cover story exclusively announcing a new South Park RPG, courtesy of Obsidian and publisher THQ. While the core details on the game are locked away within the pages of next month's GI issue, the online story does make a big point to separate this latest game from the cheap, crappy cash-in games Acclaim produced last decade. Instead, this latest foray into South Park video gaming is set to be a "full-scale RPG" for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with Trey Parker and Matt Stone fully on board for writing and voice-acting duties.

In the game, you'll be playing as a new kid in South Park, who will find themselves tasked with befriending the town's most famous children and defending the population from a variety of threats. What, exactly, those threats might be are as yet unknown, but the complete cover image does include the likes of Satan, a giant dragon, and the feared ManBearPig hovering in the background. Also, I can't imagine Cartman having wizardly abilities is going to bode well for anyone.

South Park: The Game is currently scheduled for a nebulous "2012" release. Expect more details when the latest issue of Game Informer hits, and everyone copies and pastes the text onto the Internet.

Staff
#2 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -

Well, that is certainly something.

#3 Posted by noire (6 posts) -

Is South Park still popular in terms of TV ratings?

#4 Posted by Nightriff (4972 posts) -

How about a south park MMO? I would be interested in that and MMO's do nothing for me, now an SPRPG? Not so much

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Kenny isn't wearing a dress, is he?

#6 Edited by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

Fuck Game Informer, they got everyone excited for this?

#7 Posted by MisterMouse (3544 posts) -

no PC release?

#8 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

@Axxol said:

Why yes, yes he is.

#9 Posted by rbanke (191 posts) -

I'm in.

#10 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

Man, I love that Acclaim shooter. It's such a bad game, but dammit, it's my bad game!

#11 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

What!?

Fuck yeah I'll play this

#12 Edited by Bucketdeth (8005 posts) -

I love Obsidian's work and South Park, definitely looking forward to this.

#13 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

South Park is still a thing? I thought it stopped being funny and/or relevant 10 years ago.

Guess I was wrong. Consider me disappointed.

#14 Posted by Sankis (64 posts) -

Ugh. Obsidian. What are you doing?

#15 Posted by Loafroaster (30 posts) -

I used to be a ManBearPig before I took an arrow to the knee.

#16 Posted by Brodehouse (9770 posts) -

Chris Avellone writing a South Park game. Fuckin shit, Goddamn, fuck.

#17 Edited by Chuck_ (205 posts) -

I could not be any less interested in this game. It's actually impossible.

#18 Posted by admanb (225 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
Chris Avellone writing a South Park game. Fuckin shit, Goddamn, fuck.
I think you said it best.
#19 Posted by abacus (33 posts) -

I'm down.

#20 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Ooh, I would love to have an Andy Griffith video game.

#21 Posted by kerse (2110 posts) -

whoa

#22 Posted by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

South Park has been really good lately and Obsidian makes good RPGs. This is probably going to work out.

#23 Posted by sixpin (1287 posts) -

I don't understand why the guys at GameInformer and Alex think that this is something to get real excited over.

#24 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Man, that is some amazing magazine cover art. Regardless of how you feel about the game, that is just damn excellent looking.

I think this sounds great. Imagine if this game's tone is at least partly inspired by Bully. Let that wash over you for a moment. Sure, lots more people will probably die than in Bully; Kenny and a bunch of aliens, mutant cows, etc. But if all the other school-based stuff is in there, this could be a wonderful title.

#25 Edited by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Brilliant. People will just consider all of Obsidian's glitches authentic to the South Park animation style.

#26 Posted by CJduke (786 posts) -

How the hell is this going to be a game?

#27 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Oh come on Obsidian, you're better than that.

#28 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@CosmicQueso said:

@Axxol said:

Why yes, yes he is.

Damn. Well, at least Ike looks like a bad-ass.

#29 Posted by RVonE (4621 posts) -

I want Obsidian to make KOTOR 3.

#30 Posted by MeatSim (10817 posts) -

Well at least Obsidian's not making a sequel to someone else's RPG franchise.

#31 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

Hahaha.. wait, what?

#32 Posted by BlastProcessing (915 posts) -

@Loafroaster said:

I used to be a ManBearPig before I took an arrow to the knee.

Let me guess...someone stole your cheesy poofs?

#33 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1250 posts) -

Oh, Obsidian. Well, it's not on PC anyway so I'll try to just forget all about it starting now.

#34 Posted by deerokus (538 posts) -

I'm up for this, an RPG seems like a good fit for South Park.

#35 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

I'm really saddened that this is being made instead of Alpha Protocol two. Oh well.

#36 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Has the potential to be really fucking awesome. And yes South Park is still relevant, popular, and pretty awesome. Comedy Central just signed them for 3 more seasons.

#37 Posted by AlmostSwedish (551 posts) -

This is unexpected enough to be pretty cool.

#38 Posted by russianblue8181 (45 posts) -

Calling it: incredible writing, super-interesting plots, incredibly buggy and difficult to play.

#39 Posted by MetalBaofu (1365 posts) -

@Bucketdeth said:

I love Obsidian's work and South Park, definitely looking forward to this.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I enjoy some Obsidian games and South Park, so I'm pretty interested in checking this out whenever it releases.

#40 Posted by RandyF (138 posts) -

Trey and Matt are on board for writing, so at the very least, it'll be funny. I'm pretty excited. I still think South Park is hilarious.

#41 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

I hope it is the Elder Scrolls VI: South Park.

But let's not get our hopes up. It is Obsidian, known for producing sequels to great RPGs and fucking them up.

#42 Edited by AMyggen (2771 posts) -

@noire: Oh, very much so. It's still by far the biggest scripted program on Comedy Channel (followed by...Futurama?). The current season has been uneven, but the highs have actually been very, very good. Unlike The Simpsons, they still make some fantastic episodes.

#43 Posted by Eljay (141 posts) -

Obsidian looks to be willing to cycle through every license imaginable. Perhaps I applaud their willingness to go outside the D&D comfort zone, but please just release a technically competent game for once!

#44 Posted by Fuga (206 posts) -

what the fuck ropekid?

#45 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

I'm really saddened that this is being made instead of Alpha Protocol two. Oh well.

As if that's ever going to be made. : (

#46 Posted by artofwar420 (6276 posts) -

As long as there are turkeys in that game, I'm... game.

#47 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

I have unreasonably high hopes for this.

#48 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

I dig that.

#49 Posted by Krenor (469 posts) -

@noire said:

Is South Park still popular in terms of TV ratings?

I believe it's doing as great as it always has been, the show is definitely not going away any time soon.

#50 Posted by noire (6 posts) -

@AMyggen: Gotcha. I know that Tosh, Colbert and the Daily Show are still big, but wasn't sure about SP. I never really got into it, and my friends don't talk about it as much as they used to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.