Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Obsidian Entertainment

Company »

Obsidian is a California-based developer most famous for their PC RPGs. The studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2018.

Obsidian Kickstarter is now live

• 95 results
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SlightConfuse

Obsidian has been teasing a new game and now its live. Project Eternity is a retun to isometric RPg from the folks who bought you Arcanium and IceWind Dale. im pretty excited that they are getting to make a game that htey want and not screwed by publishers again.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.
    BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BlackLagoon

Real time party combat is not exactly my favorite genre, but still, it's Obsidian so I pledged. Anyway, things are looking good so far - less than an hour and nearly $80,000 raised.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Sounds great! Now we get to find out if it's bullying publishers or Obsidian themselves that cause so many bugs!

No, really, I'm glad this is getting made and hope to see it released, possibly sitting in my library one day. But I've got to admit that the question above interests me more than the game itself. Are Obsidian just bad coders and good writers, or has it been the publisher's fault for a long time now?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

seems cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

GAH I hate real time party combat. Either make a turn based menu game, or make an action game. I hate this middle shit.

And fantasy? Come on you guys. I know you can do way better than fantasy. What if you did this exact game but Alpha Protocol? Huh? Fuck.

... And with all that said, I will end up giving them 200 dollars.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By rentfn

CLOTH MAP. Sold.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Funkydupe

I kinda wanted turn-based.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By morningstar

They'll reach the amount of money the ask for pretty fast I bet.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By beforet

That cloth map is...HHHNNNNG. But $140 is too much. I'll stick with $35.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lukeweizer

I backed it. I don't know why, but I did.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HellBrendy

Yah, Obsidian surely needs a kickstarter. This is the perfect example of why Kickstarter is bad.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Okay... and there go my good intentions not to spend that much money on Kickstarter anymore...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ravenlight

@HellBrendy said:

Yah, Obsidian surely needs a kickstarter. This is the perfect example of why Kickstarter is bad.

Could you please elaborate on why you think Kickstarter is bad because of this?

Obsidian wants to make the game they want to make and not be beholden to publisher whims. Based on how much the pledge amount jumps every time I refresh the Kickstarter page, it seem like fans want to play Project Eternity as much as Obsidian wants to make it. Seems like a win/win to me.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@HellBrendy said:

I think you're missing the point. Developers actually need funding to make games and the only way to get that is through a publisher. Do you think EA or THQ would be willing to make an old school RPG like this? They'd take control of the project and then you end up with games like Dragon Age 2 and Dungeon Siege 3.

Instead, they're making a type of game that a lot of people want to play and asking the fans to pay upfront. I really don't see the problem. If you're worried you won't get the product in the end, you can still just wait and buy it when it's released on Steam.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I'll do it just cause it's Obsidian. Thanks for the notice, I've got a month to get some cash together.

@HellBrendy said:

Stop hating on Obsidian man.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

I backed it. Didn't even read the description. As soon as I saw Obsidian I was on board.

Thrustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thrustache

@HellBrendy said:

From their video it seems like publishers won't provide enough backing to make a new game of this type. I imagine the publishers consider this a niche genre with a dated interface and consider it too risky to fund. Getting crowd funded seems like a pretty obvious way around that.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'm so fucking excited for this.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Terramagi

I said I'd give them all my money when the day came.

The fact that I only have $53 in change on my desk is irrelevant.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Ben_H

Backed. Loved NWN2. Loved New Vegas. Loved KOTOR 2.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By BeachThunder

Pity it's just going to be a generic fantasy game =[

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Terramagi

@BeachThunder said:

Pity it's just going to be a generic fantasy game =[

It's Obsidian.

Nothing they do is generic.

The last time they did a "generic fantasy game", they made Planescape.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Tennmuerti

My first born for Obsidian!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#24  Edited By Kidavenger

I'm so excited for this!

I am a bit skeptical about whether they can make a quality RPG for $1.1M, if that is all it takes, How are publisher's passing on it, seems insane.

How much to put in now...

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dungbootle

@HellBrendy said:

People can do whatever they want. If Kickstarter is truly bad, this will show itself by the site dying down, if and when this ever happens.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#26  Edited By LordAndrew

Finally, we get to see if Obsidian is actually a competent developer without a publisher tying them down.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Kidavenger said:

I'm so excited for this!

I am a bit skeptical about whether they can make a quality RPG for $1.1M, if that is all it takes, How are publisher's passing on it, seems insane.

How much to put in now...

Because it's not going to have cutting edge graphics or A-list celebrities doing voice acting (or any voice acting at all, I'd imagine). Publishers aren't interested in something like that, because they can't market it for mass appeal.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#28  Edited By delta_ass

Good luck to them. They need it, after all the terrible games they've made in the past.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordAndrew

Finally, we get to see if Obsidian is actually a competent developer without a publisher tying them down.

This is the perfect test. If they fail, their apologists will have nothing to lean on. I do hope they succeed, of course, but there's only so many times the same excuse can be used for the faults their games have consistently suffered from.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Hailinel: The facts are right there. They've always produced high quality games with amazing writing.. that have suffered from being unfinished and buggy due to the release dates being rushed by the publisher, usually by a publisher with a reputation for doing that.

You don't have to like their games, but it's insanely ignorant to blame them for bugs, especially when it comes to publishers like LucasArts and Bethesda.

FunkyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FunkyFox

Already past half a million.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By abendlaender

So wait....Chris Avelone, Tim Chain, Josh Sawyer, Obsidian, ISO-CRPG, no Publisher BS and a clothed map?

I'm dreaming right? Please tell me I'm not dreaming. Sadly the clothed map is too expensice for me, but 50$ will do as well.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tennmuerti

@FunkyFox said:

Already past half a million.

Daumn, nice to see so much Obsidian love.

Wasteland 2 now this. ^.^

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Kidavenger said:

Most publishers are so big they need the huge pay-off from successful AAA games to stay in business. A relatively small game like this would make little difference on their balance sheets, they'd need to put out hundreds of them to cover their operating expenses.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Terramagi

@Abendlaender said:

So wait....Chris Avelone, Tim Chain, Josh Sawyer, Obsidian, ISO-CRPG, no Publisher BS and a clothed map?

I'm dreaming right? Please tell me I'm not dreaming. Sadly the clothed map is too expensice for me, but 50$ will do as well.

Yes this actually is a dream.

In fact this has all been a dream.

Tomorrow the butterfly will wake up, and that will be that.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tennmuerti

I never truly gave a shit about a few bugs in Obsidian games. I can get superb polish from any dime a dozen unoriginal shallow AAA titles, polish wont make them less iterative or boring. Interesting smart narrative and deeper game play mechanics in RPGs are far harder to come by. So I value them way more. Plus being a PC gamer, bugs are part of the medium, peoples gripes with tiny things like an occasional crash are an alien concept to me.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Terramagi

@Tennmuerti said:

I never truly gave a shit about a few bugs in Obsidian games. I can get superb polish from any dime a dozen unoriginal shallow AAA titles, polish wont make them less iterative or boring. Interesting smart narrative and deeper game play mechanics in RPGs are far harder to come by. So I value them way more. Plus being a PC gamer, bugs are part of the medium, peoples gripes with tiny things like an occasional crash are an alien concept to me.

PC gaming in general makes a lot of things seem trivial.

"Raul wouldn't give me his quest!"

"Yeah, same thing happened to me. Here's the console commands to set the starting parameters."

"What the fuck is a tilde key?"

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Hailinel

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Hailinel: The facts are right there. They've always produced high quality games with amazing writing.. that have suffered from being unfinished and buggy due to the release dates being rushed by the publisher, usually by a publisher with a reputation for doing that.

You don't have to like their games, but it's insanely ignorant to blame them for bugs, especially when it comes to publishers like LucasArts and Bethesda.

You forgot Sega.

And it just seems odd that a company with as much output as Obsidian has, and with as many publishing partners as they've had, that they have yet to produce a full-scale RPG that isn't comically rife with technical issues. Who's going to be to blame if the South Park RPG ends up a buggy mess? Yet another publisher?

Senno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Senno

I dont know about this. I've been let down by Obsidian on several ocassions and the Kickstarter video and description didn't go into great detail. Is it voiced for one thing? The price seems reasonable but we see nothing of the game or the story and taking a leap of faith on a developer who is spotty at best gives me concern. I hope they update the page and we can see what will come.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Terramagi

@Hailinel said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

You forgot Sega.

And it just seems odd that a company with as much output as Obsidian has, and with as many publishing partners as they've had, that they have yet to produce a full-scale RPG that isn't comically rife with technical issues. Who's going to be to blame if the South Park RPG ends up a buggy mess? Yet another publisher?

Dungeon Siege 3, for all its problems, was the most stable game I've seen in years.

@Senno said:

I dont know about this. I've been let down by Obsidian on several ocassions and the Kickstarter video and description didn't go into great detail. Is it voiced for one thing? The price seems reasonable but we see nothing of the game or the story and taking a leap of faith on a developer who is spotty at best gives me concern. I hope they update the page and we can see what will come.

They mention, by name, the Infinity Engine. I imagine it'll be much like Torment and Baldur's Gate - mostly text, but when shit hits the fan suddenly there's voice acting so you know some crazy shit is happening.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By abendlaender

@Terramagi:

I actually had to punch in some lines in the console in NWN2 because of a plot stopping bug. But man, I felt like the king of the internet after it worked (just to be clear: I just followed instructions someone else figured out, but I felt like a master-hacker after doing that). I never had much problems with Obsidians bugs, their games are just so freakin good.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Hailinel: I really don't understand what you find odd or confusing about this. They've generally been used to farm out quick sequels for big name franchises. For KotOR 2 in particularly, they were given a laughable short amount of time to develop the game, forcing it to release before it was even finished. Sega halted further development on Alpha Protocol, even after they delayed it to miss the busy holiday period and Bethesda's track record speaks for itself.

Again, if you don't like Obsidian because you dislike their style of games or the mechanics they use, fine, I can understand that. I don't understand why people repeatedly blame them for problems they're ultimately not responsible for. That's just how game development works. I'm sure this is part of the reason why they're going with Kickstarter for this project.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mandude

I'm going to sleep now. Someone wake me up in a year and a half.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#44  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I saw that this was a thing and I dropped my $20 immediately. Obsidian without the restraints of a publisher, with theoretically as much funding as they want, is something I want to see.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SlightConfuse

dropping 65 bucks for now cant wait to see what happens

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By iceman228433

I put 65$ down this sounds awesome. They will get this in no time they are half way there now on day 1.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By owl_of_minerva

@Hailinel: To be fair most of those games have been on licensed engines and it's the publisher who determines when the game gets released. Publishers also have their own QA department. Given these are year-long projects usually I don't see it as Obsidian's sole responsibility to fix engines that are not theirs and do QA as well.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Nah. If it was Alpha Protocol 2, I'd be making my Kickstarter debut!

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By iceman228433

It's about to pass 800k this will be done in the first 24 hours, I say they get to over 3 mill by the end of this.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By butano

Oh man, this might be the first thing I fund on Kickstarter. It is rather tempting at 25 bones....hell, even 35 for the soundtrack and digital collector's book. Maybe when my next paycheck comes in I'll do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.